Go inside the USSR (56k warning)

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Wanderer
Jedi Master

Post by Wanderer »

Comrade Stas, I assume Little Sister is no longer little :wink:

By the way Stas, what military equipment surrounds your dad?
Amateurs study Logistics, Professionals study Economics.
Dale Cozort (slightly out of context quote)
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I assume Little Sister is no longer little
By the way Stas, what military equipment surrounds your dad?
SOme sort of engineering equipment, looks like a BREM. I'm sure Vympel could make out the tank chassis, my wheel-fu is kinda weak, I can only determine them by towers.
Was he a Wolgadeutscher?
Yes. Worked at the SK factory. Post-collapse, moved to Germany as part of the repatriation program offered by the FRG.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Awww...cutey widdle Stas :D

And I can't believe Shroom is surprised at the hotness of Slavic women. Of course, I had the undisputed luck of actually living in a Slavic nation full of hot, happy, smiling girls.

Sorry, but SPARTAFREEDOMERICA has nothing on them :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Aw! Stas' little soviet sister wuvs the Patriotic Multicultural Book Shelf of the Soviet Working Peoples! :)
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Stas Bush wrote:
Was he a Wolgadeutscher?
Yes. Worked at the SK factory. Post-collapse, moved to Germany as part of the repatriation program offered by the FRG.
SK factory? Was he the last generation of your family to speak German, or did your parents learn it too?
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Why do most Russian women look like they're capable of stabbing you and not caring?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Wanderer
Jedi Master

Post by Wanderer »

Stas Bush wrote: Image
:shock: She sure grew. To think I have three daughters who might one day leave the nest. "sighs and prepares to scrutinize every suitor who follows them home"
SOme sort of engineering equipment, looks like a BREM. I'm sure Vympel could make out the tank chassis, my wheel-fu is kinda weak, I can only determine them by towers.

Fair enough :)
Amateurs study Logistics, Professionals study Economics.
Dale Cozort (slightly out of context quote)
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

SK factory? Was he the last generation of your family to speak German, or did your parents learn it too?
My parents did not learn German, but I did.
She sure grew.
She's even older right now and is learning at an Architecture University in Leningrad, 2nd course.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Well, congrats on that, Stas.

It certainly kicks down all that garbage about Soviet life that I read about in the Red October. BTW, how prevalent was the KGB actually in present day life (the claims of KGB omnipresence always sounded a little exaggerated to me, since the larger a nation state's population is, the less effective its secret police apparatus is. Go ask China).

If I may ask, what ethnicity were you considered as under the USSR's policy? German? My apologies if this is an inappropriate question? (I haven't quite gotten how they determined one's ethnicity in the USSR. In the PRC, it seems that if one had say a Manchu or Hui grandparent somewhere, one could claim to be an ethnic Manchu/Hui/Zhuang even if all the other grandparents were Han).
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Pelranius wrote:BTW, how prevalent was the KGB actually in present day life
Um, from the 1960s onwards... not at all? :? Unless you were some kind of dissident against the Soviet regime, publishing anti-soviet books and travelling to dissident meetings, you'd generally get zero attention. Dissidents got cracked down on periodically. Depending on the period of course: in 1930-1950, the NKGB-NKVD-MGB organs were very prevalent: they controlled a lot of economic activity, controlled lots of production both civil and military... since 1950s onwards their role decreased. The KGB itself was not "ever-prevalent" unless you really worked on some top-notch closed factory.

Far more prevalent were CPSU bureaucrats - those indeed filled the ranks everywhere and it'd be hard to avoid meeting one at your workplace here or there.
Pelranius wrote:If I may ask, what ethnicity were you considered as under the USSR's policy?
Russian; so did my father. You could change ethnicity record in your passport on demand in USSR, and that's what my father did. That later led to him being uneligible for German emigration unlike many relatives on his side.

Assalti Frontali
Spice Runner
Jedi Knight

Post by Spice Runner »

Very cool Stas. Thanks for posting those pictures. Very enlightening. I especially liked those pictures towards the bottom of daily life in the U.S.S.R.