Wanktastic Warhammer 40,000 Battleship

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Wanktastic Warhammer 40,000 Battleship

Post by Darth Hoth »

Shown in this thread.

I was thinking of using it in a fanfic. Can anyone help me with information on it? I do not own any source in which it appears. Timeframe? Allegiance? Capabilities?
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Re: Wanktastic Warhammer 40,000 Battleship

Post by Zablorg »

Darth Hoth wrote: Allegiance?
Damn, it's a hard one man, but if I had to guess I'd probably say... Chaos? :P
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Lone_Prodigy
Padawan Learner

Post by Lone_Prodigy »

It appears during the comic series Bloodquest, it's commanded by a demon prince of Tzeentch. It was built using the resources of a single demon-world, and apparently two similarly-sized Imperium battlewagons engaged it in the comic.
Why wonder why? The answer is simple: obviously, someone somewhere decided that he or she needed Baby Jesus up the ass.
-The Illustrious Darth Wong, on Jesus Dildos

Well actually, I am intellectually superior to you. In fact, the average person is intellectually superior to you.
-Mike to "Assassin X"
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Zablorg wrote:
Darth Hoth wrote: Allegiance?
Damn, it's a hard one man, but if I had to guess I'd probably say... Chaos? :P
As Ghost Rider might have put it, no shit Sherlock.

For of course, we know Chaos to be a perfectly united and monolithic force in which individual factions do not warrant description, yes? :wink:
Lone_Prodigy wrote:It appears during the comic series Bloodquest, it's commanded by a demon prince of Tzeentch. It was built using the resources of a single demon-world, and apparently two similarly-sized Imperium battlewagons engaged it in the comic.
Wait... does the Imperium of Man have ships of that size?!
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Shit man, I had totally forgotten about that thread. That's like one of the only debates I've ever had (and it turns out that Zentei was right*, given that if it fought two Imperial ships of similar size, it was totally out of continuity). The ship in question was the flagship of one fallen Blood Angel, Leonatos. It appeared some time between the Gothic War and the 13th Crusade, and was destroyed at the climax of Bloodquest.

*Fuck you Zentei. Where have you gone? :(
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

I think this gets written off to a screw up due to the warp bending the image or something. If that really is the size of the ship in realspace, then it is at least 50 times the volume of one of the moons of mars, and considerably bigger than any known imperial warships. The smallest chaos destroyers are over 1km long, and the ships in front of the massive one look like the larger 3km+ cruisers.

The only numerous ships of that size are the eldar craftworlds. It is concievable that a daemon world could produce one of these massive ships, but the fact it was engaged successfully by Imperial ships its own size means that it is not actually the size of a craftworld.
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

So it is non-canon, then? A pity... I had plans for that ship, even more so if the Imperium also had them...

-George "Evil" Lucas
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Darth Hoth wrote:So it is non-canon, then? A pity... I had plans for that ship, even more so if the Imperium also had them...
Not particularly,?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

It's not impossible to reconcile; there's bound to be some huge and majestic stuff hanging around the Cadian Gate that shames more mundane vessels of the Imperium's navy.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

If it was built in the Eye, then i could easily see it being real.

Remember the Planet Killer? They figured it wouldnt even be possible to do that one, outside of the Eye, even though it worked fine outside of the Eye of Terror.
Kanye West Saves.

Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Are there any scans available of the supposed Imperial equivalents? Anything that could be used to quantify their abilities?

-George "Evil" Lucas
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

There aren't any Imperial equivalents; whoever said that misread the book. It was met with two Imperial warfleets, not two Imperial ships of the same size.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

If such things exist, and they weren't built through the magic of warpfuckery (i.e. in the Eye of Terror), the only way I can see them existing is if they're truly ancient relics from the Dark Age of Technology, and the ability to build anything approaching the sheer giganticoriness of those monumentally phallic pieces of awesomology was lost millenia even before the Great Crusade.

Like, a mere handful of them, and the ones in Imperial control are always parked outside the the Cadian Gate just in case the ones in Chaos control ever decide to come a-saunterin' out.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Lancer wrote:There aren't any Imperial equivalents; whoever said that misread the book. It was met with two Imperial warfleets, not two Imperial ships of the same size.
No Imperial megaships? Boo hoo... :cry:

-George "Evil" Lucas
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

Well it's just not stated that there are any. Add in a little artistic license (this is a fanfic we're talking about) and voila.
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

The interpretation that there are two imperial megaships and fleets opposing comes I imagine from the holosphere tactical display that is shown, with one humongous shape representing Garshuls ride, and smaller ones showing a spread of other ships. Opposing it/intercepting it are two other humongous shapes of similar size, plus some other smaller bits.

I always imagined some sort of tremendous cheating went on, Garshul piled together an equivalent mass of junk, and pledged the first trillion dead to tzeentch if someone could see their way to transmuting it into a big ship.

Like the daemon in Hammer of Daemons, Garshul might have had a really nasty welcome waiting for him if he returned without the cash to pay his loan, :lol:

I'll scan the relevant pages responsible for the conjecture in, I suppose its appropriate, given I posted the huge ass ship piccy :D
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Teleros wrote:Well it's just not stated that there are any. Add in a little artistic license (this is a fanfic we're talking about) and voila.
Well, it is, but it is a crossover, so I am under pressure to be "fair" in not misrepresenting either side. Thus, I am basically not inventing anything new.

-George "Evil" Lucas
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Darth Hoth wrote:
Teleros wrote:Well it's just not stated that there are any. Add in a little artistic license (this is a fanfic we're talking about) and voila.
Well, it is, but it is a crossover, so I am under pressure to be "fair" in not misrepresenting either side. Thus, I am basically not inventing anything new.
If you want an Ubership, its probably easier to have the chaos dudes snaffle a space hulk and pimp it out, its been done before, the things can be suitably, tremendously hugetastic, Purge the Unclean gives the known range of spacehulk mass from a single escape pod to things that are only outsized by the largest gas giants
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

My thanks for the tip; I shall look into the idea.

-George "Evil" Lucas
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

NecronLord wrote:It's not impossible to reconcile; there's bound to be some huge and majestic stuff hanging around the Cadian Gate that shames more mundane vessels of the Imperium's navy.
Space marine legions had access to ships of that size back in the day. In Flight of the Eisenstein, there is a moon-sized ship ferrying Rogal Dorn around, so someone had top be able to build them huge.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

I thought there was disagreement on the actual scaling (The scaling primariyl dependent upon the vessels in the foreground. Some of those in the background are harder to identify, even though they superficially look like they're identical to the ones in the foreground.)

There's laso the issue that the foreground pictures are of an unknown distance from the big ship.

And, the smallest vessels that can enter the warp are a matter of debate. I've seen destroyers (or destroyer sized vessels) as small as half a kilometer, and implied vessels of a few hundred meters being warp capable.

The thread discussed all this before. It could be larger than conventional warships (quite a bit larger, but nto neccesarily the 70+ km stateD) but the arguments put forth in here also provide ample rationalization for it without tossing it out.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

oh and just for shits and giggles... depending on the vessels in foreground and background's sizes (say between 1-1.5 km at least.. probably 2x3 times that) I'd guess the Divine Right in the BFG rulebook is about 1-3 km tall... and about 9-15 km long (roughly).

Note that even if it were only 8-9 km long, the Emperor-class is probably closer in volume/mass to an Executor due to its size in other dimensions.

Edit:

Also, given the probable number of Battleships the Imperium has (as I've noted before) they probably have a fuckton of them. Though they are slower to build than the Empire can build an Executor. (Decades or centuries, depending on where they're built and by who.)
Last edited by Connor MacLeod on 2008-05-30 03:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

The ship in Eye of Terror was warp capable, and it was less than half a kilometer in size. In fact, It may have been less than 100m in length--it has a crew of 2, including the navigator, and is consistently described in a manner more fitting for the Millennium Falcon than for a cap ship.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:The ship in Eye of Terror was warp capable, and it was less than half a kilometer in size. In fact, It may have been less than 100m in length--it has a crew of 2, including the navigator, and is consistently described in a manner more fitting for the Millennium Falcon than for a cap ship.
Given teh height in the novel, and assuming dimensions roughly typical fro most freighterS (like the trader in Eisenhorn) the thing is probably not much bigger than a Corellian Corvette, though it could be a few hundred meters if its length to hight ratio is different (ie more.. I doubt it would be much less.)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Eisenstein (a pre-heresy Death Guard Frigate) and it's just over 2km in length, so the imperium has built some true monsters in it's time.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n