Let's Play Oregon Trail. (Image Heavy, UPDATE 6/5/08)

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Let's Play Oregon Trail. (Image Heavy, UPDATE 6/5/08)

Post by Instant Sunrise »

Okay SDNetters, It's 1848 and we've got a head full of dreams and a pocket full of cash.

Now, for the uninitiated, a Let's Play thread is very similar to a TGOD/STGOD, only it is more relaxed and is told through screenshots of the game itself.

Darth Wong, an illustrious banker from Boston is leading an expedition to Oregon. To save time, our crew has already signed up and filled the wagon.

It's May 1st, 1848 and we are in Independence, MO, and we are almost ready to leave.

Before we can leave for Oregon, we need to pay a certain gentledude a visit.

We've got the wagon, but we still need food, ammo, spare parts, oxen and clothes.

That is our current bill at the store, as you can see we haven't bought anything yet. So this is where I shall open the floor to audience participation. What shall we buy for our journey to Oregon?
Last edited by Instant Sunrise on 2009-01-02 03:10am, edited 3 times in total.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

MKSheppard wrote:GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS
We should probably get some ammunition for those guns shep.

oh, and food. Food would be good. also, spare parts for the wagon, since IIRC the damn thing breaks every five seconds.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

You can't buy guns, just a maximum of 99 boxes of bullets as I recall, Oregon Trail 2 introduced the ability to buy different guns. Go with 8 oxen, 3 of each spare part, 99 boxes of bullets and some tiny amount of food. The less food you carry the less likely breakdowns are, and you can easily shoot enough shit to have food for the whole trip.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

do you have any idea how much ale and whores we can get for $1600 in 1848

i mean shit we could probably sleep with the queen for that much

EDIT: But seriously, Sea Skimmer sounds about right.
Last edited by Uraniun235 on 2008-04-14 06:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Vohu Manah
Jedi Knight

Post by Vohu Manah »

My suggested purchases:
• 4 yoke of oxen
• 1000 lbs. of food
• 10 sets of clothing
• 40 boxes of ammo
• 3 of each spare part

Total should be $630.00
There are two kinds of people in the world: the kind who think it’s perfectly reasonable to strip-search a 13-year-old girl suspected of bringing ibuprofen to school, and the kind who think those people should be kept as far away from children as possible … Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference between drug warriors and child molesters.” - Jacob Sullum[/size][/align]
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Ok, that is our bill so far at the store. As you can see, we are going to conquer this trail in the true pioneer spirit. Butt Naked.

EDIT: Okay, on Vohu Manah's suggestion I will add 10 sets of clothing to this, bringing our bill to this:

Any suggestions, changes? This is the last chance here dudes.
Hi, I'm Liz.
Twitter
Tumblr
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Pills to avoid dysentery every 10 seconds.

Extra oxen is always a good choice, because they die every few minutes as well. We should leave about $400-500 for misc expenses on the trail.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight

What are these pills you speak of?

I'll give a current inventory of the Wagon:

-8 Oxen
-600 lbs of food
-10 sets of clothing
-99 boxes of bullets
-3 of each spare part
Hi, I'm Liz.
Twitter
Tumblr
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Looks good. I don't know how good a hunter you are but 8 oxen and that many parts gives us a strong reserve. Save some cash for if we try to ford a 4 foot deep river and need to replace shit. Since this is a Let's Play, and Darth Wong knows shit all about rivers, this seems likely.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight

On the First of May, Eighteen Hundred and Fourty Eight, Mike Wong and 4 companians set off from Independence Missouri.

The cool weather had helped keep everybody's spirits, and health up on the trail. In no particular hurry to reach Oregon, Wong had decided on a steady pace for the wagon, with filling rations from what little food supplies were brought. After all, they had abought enough guns and ammunition to secede from the union.

The trail ahead seemed daunting, so the party plowed on once step at a time. After a few days, Spanky the dolphin had found an apple tree growing naturally along the trail. Everybody grabbed as many apples as possible and added them to the wagon's weager stockpile of food.

With spirits so high, the rest of that trail leg passed by in an instant, and very soon, the party was first with the first major decision along the trail:

What should we do?
Hi, I'm Liz.
Twitter
Tumblr
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

FORD THE RIVER
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Four feet deep? Either caulk the wagon or take the ferry.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

ferry across.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

623 feet is more than two football fields wide! That's a damn wide ass river! :lol:

Ferry across!

This is going to be hilarious. I wonder who'll die first. :lol:
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

FORD!
Drooling Iguana: No, John. You are the liberals.
Phantasee: So extortion is cooler and it promotes job creation!
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Caulk or Ferry, I'm not paticular though ferry obviously would cost us.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight

Current vote tallies.

Ford: 3
Caulk: 1
Ferry: 6
Wait: 0

Hurry up guys, it's still a pretty close decision here.

Edit: The pace of travel can be changed at any time, just FYI
Last edited by Instant Sunrise on 2008-04-14 07:43pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hi, I'm Liz.
Twitter
Tumblr
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Catch a ferry. It's such a wide river.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Ford.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

ferry or caulk.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Ferry.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight

Mike Wong decided to play it safe with the river crossing and take the ferry. After all the funds were plentiful and he was in no real hurry to make to Oregon.

The river crossing was without incident.

Everything was going perfect. The first river crossing went swimmingly, and it seemed like nothing could go wrong. There were so many hoof prints in the ground that the path to Oregon was just a walk in the part. Most of the wagon party were left wondering why so many people were trying to warn them about the dangers of the trail. That was until it struck them. The hoof prints on the ground that they were following were gone. The realization had hit like a bolt of lighting, everybody had been so engrossed in other pursuits that nobody had noticed that they were now on the wrong trail.

A day of backtracking had gotten the wagon back to where it was supposed to be, but now we were only 3 miles from the Big Blue River. At least they had found more wild fruit.

Big Blue was in their reach, and it seemed like not even the fires of Hell and Damnation itself could stop Mike Wong from reaching Oregon.

You guys know the drill by now. Ford, Caulk, or Wait? There is no ferry this time.
Hi, I'm Liz.
Twitter
Tumblr
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

FORD

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

ford
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."