Armageddon???? (Part Fifty Up)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

JCady
Padawan Learner

Post by JCady »

One advantage on the Oerlikon 35mm is that AHEAD ammo already exists for it, and that ammo type should be exceptionally effective against harpy and baldrick swarms.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Just stumbled across this story and I'm loving it, especially the meat-grinder battles.

If I may harken back to an early chapter - Clinton racking the auto-shotgun with "slickness born of long practice"? Is that just absolute silliness or is there something I don't know about the former president?
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Haven't you ever seen pictures of Hillary?

That said, I'm wondering if we'll see Bill again any time soon? I can SO see him and George Bush (sr) going on a war bonds tour all over the county. Opening new/recommissioned factories, driving for War Bonds e.t.c.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Uraniun235 wrote:Just stumbled across this story and I'm loving it, especially the meat-grinder battles.

If I may harken back to an early chapter - Clinton racking the auto-shotgun with "slickness born of long practice"? Is that just absolute silliness or is there something I don't know about the former president?
He's from the south. He's been hunting before.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Uraniun235 wrote:If I may harken back to an early chapter - Clinton racking the auto-shotgun with "slickness born of long practice"? Is that just absolute silliness or is there something I don't know about the former president?
If Hillary Clinton were your wife, you, too, would be well-practiced at pumping your hand down and up along a cylindrical shaft.
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Stuart wrote: The problem here is numbers. There are roughly 100 billion souls in hell. The number of "famous" people is probably, what, 100,000? That means if we rescue somebody at random from hell (ie dig them up in the 5th circle or pull them from a burning tomb in the 6th) there is one chance in a million of the person rescued being a historically notable character. So what do we do when we rescue somebody and he turns out to be Seth, an illiterate cow-dung shoveller from 800AD? Put him back? Its a very real problem which affects the whole operation in hell. Now, there's a load of souls just arrived from Hit but Broomstick and her group have to find them in order to use them.

It's very tempting to pull in historical characters like Caesar et al but it has to be done with very great care.

Well...I figure that historical people are going to be respected in a hellish enviroment as well...just like how they manage to charm and lead people during thier times.

This mean they will be very well known in hell...but I can see them lying low and not making any moves, due to the control of the demons and etc.

Once the demons power over the souls in hell are weakened, they make take the chance to declare their support for a rebellion.
brianeyci
Emperor's Hand

Post by brianeyci »

I would very much prefer we hear about the actions of historical characters rather than have it written in their perspective.

Stalin, Hitler, Caesar, etc, would tend to overshadow the entire story. And rather than use the historical characters themselves maybe use their deputies... it gives a bit of leeway and accomplishes the same effect. Instead of Zhukov, maybe one of his lesser known subordinates. Instead of Caesar, maybe the commander of the first legion.
The Star Marshall
Redshirt

Post by The Star Marshall »

I'm loving this story, very entertaining and lots of good possibilities. I think I'm enjoying the mobilization discussion just as much as the actual story, lots of interesting points I hadn't considered or didn't know.

I know we don't know much about whats going on in hell, but based on the size of the population and the limited bits we've seen I wouldn't be surprised if there were several different resistance groups operating independently or on a cell basis. The one group we know even a little bit about doesn't have to be the only one, in other words maybe there are more active groups that are trying to do more then just hide out.

My point is that out of all the historical figures people are mentioning, no one has brought up the man who would be my first choice to organize some kind of guerrilla activity in hell. Count Belisarius while our knowledge of him is limited I think that might make it easier for the author to write him in and based on what we know of his campaigns he seems to have had the flexibility to adapt and out of everyone mentioned I see him as the most likely to be able to lead an active resistance.

Of course this is all my opinion (of course) and I have no doubt that the author will create a good story that will keep me entertained no matter how he chooses to handle the inner workings of hell and its prisoners.

So I just want to thank the author for taking the time to keep me (and others, but I can only speak for myself of course) entertained with this fascinating story.
kdahm(the same one)
Redshirt

Some collected responses

Post by kdahm(the same one) »

Sorry for the lateness on some of them, but I just registered. I had these over on the HPCA board.

I don't think the .50 Beowulf will cut it...
As in, its a bad idea.

From a ballistics standpoint, they seem to be using a 300-350 grain bullet poking along at between 1700 and 1800 fps. According to the ballistics charts by the manufacturer, they drop subsonic at between 250 and 300 yards, meaning accuracy drops to area fire standards. Kenetic energy is roughly 30-06 equivalent at the muzzle, but drops very quickly due to air resistance. Momentum is better, but again drops quickly. Finally, having more than 10" of drop at 300 yards from a 100 yard zero means than iron sights or non-range compensating glass is useless. About the only good use would be a carbine replacement for urban warfare.

A better solution would be to use something in the .35 or .375 range, and drop trying to make it compatible with the M16 lower. Necking the 7.62x51 up may work, and has probably already been done. For that matter, the rifles can be based on the AR10 platform, the L1A1, the M14, or any number of other rifles.

Manufacturing wise, I think the limiting factor will be barrels. Almost any competant manufacturing plant producing cast aluminum and steel items of about the right size (sewing machines, small motors, tool makers) can be converted into making the lowers and uppers. Barrels require rifling benches, and expanding production will mean making the machines to make the barrels first. At present, the .50 Beowulf is in very limited production and even the tooling will take time.

While the initial part will be short, it will still be many months and may last several years. The best way may be to select several contenders and get samples to the sandbox fast for evaluation in the mopping up operation. There will be plenty of Baldricks wandering around for live fire testing...

The Duchess is wrong about using Garands converted to .458 Winchester. The overall length is the same, but the case head is 0.514" instead of the 30-06 0.473". That means that the bolt and receiver feed mechanism must be changed for the new cartridge, and that's not a trivial task. Reducing the bolt head thickness and barrel thickness will lower the vaunted strength of the action. Besides, there is currently ONE production line for new Garands (Springfield) that I would trust. All of the other receiver makers use castings, and the quality on the ones I've seen is downright scary. The alternative for a direct replacement is a 375 Whelan, which should have similar terminal effects on Baldricks. All rifles will have to be new production, with virtually no existing stock. Of the approximately 6.5 million made (4.5M WWII, 2M Korea), most were lost or destroyed, and all but less than ~50,000 have been sold to US citizens through the CMP. I have three of them. The ones they have left are in rough shape and it would be easier to start new than to try rebuilding.

A much, much better alternative is to delay several weeks for the civilian rifle order. In that time period, reengineer the M1a for a long reciever, and you can try the larger case head at the same time. While the military M14 tooling went to Taiwan, there are several M1a producers out there with higher production rates than the sole M1 line. Besides, the M1a is just a M14 without the selecter switch. Many of the changes between the M1 and M14 make the M14 a better rifle, and should be adopted regardless of which direction is taken.

Besides, the M1 family is a really bad one to try for mass production. The number of machined parts is very high, and the reciever takes a lot of machining as well. I don't know enough about the design of other 7.62 rifles to know if there is another better suited to mass production. From the standpoint of homeland defense, a better alternative would be to go for about 5 million rifles and about 50 million 12g shotguns. As rifle production ramps up, shotgun production can decrease. In 2006, there were 1,021,260 pistols, 382,069 revolvers, 1,496,505 rifles, 714,618 shotguns, and 35,872 misc firearms produced in the US, per the ATF. Making another 5-10 million rifles will take up to a year, even after repurposing other factories. Barrels will again be the critical path item, and I'm not sure how long expanding production of them will take. Shotgun barrels are a lot easier to make than rifle barrels.

In response to a someone suggesting a Kalishnikov.
That actually may work better
Although a new or slightly modified cartridge may be the best option.

For that matter, the AK is short and small for Western hands.

How about this proposal: Directly scale the AK47 to a .458 caliber. That would give a (ponder,ponder,calculate) 1.53 scaling factor. The case would be the 11.6x59mm, with a case head of 0.678" and an overall length of 3.3". This will be a firearm limited to 300-400 yards against Baldrick sized targets, but that appears to be the desired sweet spot.

Using a stamped reciever, the mechanism needs minimal machining and the number of firearms which can be produced climbs by a factor of at least 5 and possibly 8 or more over any M1/M14 variant. For that matter, open souce the plans and specifications and virtually any automotive machine shop can make them in low numbers. Again, the limiting factor is the barrel, but AK barrels are proportionately shorter, thus more can be made. Accurate AK07 manufacture will depend on the tolerances that can be held, but today's standards are already tighter than really desired for functionality.

There still needs to be a large caliber DMR design for ranges up to 800 yards, but that will be easier than making 25-30 million DMR equivalent rifles.
Why settle for the lesser Evil?
Cthulu for President 2008
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Re: Some collected responses

Post by Vehrec »

kdahm(the same one) wrote:Sorry for the lateness on some of them, but I just registered. I had these over on the HPCA board.

I don't think the .50 Beowulf will cut it...
As in, its a bad idea.

From a ballistics standpoint, they seem to be using a 300-350 grain bullet poking along at between 1700 and 1800 fps. According to the ballistics charts by the manufacturer, they drop subsonic at between 250 and 300 yards, meaning accuracy drops to area fire standards. Kenetic energy is roughly 30-06 equivalent at the muzzle, but drops very quickly due to air resistance. Momentum is better, but again drops quickly. Finally, having more than 10" of drop at 300 yards from a 100 yard zero means than iron sights or non-range compensating glass is useless. About the only good use would be a carbine replacement for urban warfare.

A better solution would be to use something in the .35 or .375 range, and drop trying to make it compatible with the M16 lower. Necking the 7.62x51 up may work, and has probably already been done. For that matter, the rifles can be based on the AR10 platform, the L1A1, the M14, or any number of other rifles.

Manufacturing wise, I think the limiting factor will be barrels. Almost any competant manufacturing plant producing cast aluminum and steel items of about the right size (sewing machines, small motors, tool makers) can be converted into making the lowers and uppers. Barrels require rifling benches, and expanding production will mean making the machines to make the barrels first. At present, the .50 Beowulf is in very limited production and even the tooling will take time.

While the initial part will be short, it will still be many months and may last several years. The best way may be to select several contenders and get samples to the sandbox fast for evaluation in the mopping up operation. There will be plenty of Baldricks wandering around for live fire testing...

The Duchess is wrong about using Garands converted to .458 Winchester. The overall length is the same, but the case head is 0.514" instead of the 30-06 0.473". That means that the bolt and receiver feed mechanism must be changed for the new cartridge, and that's not a trivial task. Reducing the bolt head thickness and barrel thickness will lower the vaunted strength of the action. Besides, there is currently ONE production line for new Garands (Springfield) that I would trust. All of the other receiver makers use castings, and the quality on the ones I've seen is downright scary. The alternative for a direct replacement is a 375 Whelan, which should have similar terminal effects on Baldricks. All rifles will have to be new production, with virtually no existing stock. Of the approximately 6.5 million made (4.5M WWII, 2M Korea), most were lost or destroyed, and all but less than ~50,000 have been sold to US citizens through the CMP. I have three of them. The ones they have left are in rough shape and it would be easier to start new than to try rebuilding.

A much, much better alternative is to delay several weeks for the civilian rifle order. In that time period, reengineer the M1a for a long reciever, and you can try the larger case head at the same time. While the military M14 tooling went to Taiwan, there are several M1a producers out there with higher production rates than the sole M1 line. Besides, the M1a is just a M14 without the selecter switch. Many of the changes between the M1 and M14 make the M14 a better rifle, and should be adopted regardless of which direction is taken.

Besides, the M1 family is a really bad one to try for mass production. The number of machined parts is very high, and the reciever takes a lot of machining as well. I don't know enough about the design of other 7.62 rifles to know if there is another better suited to mass production. From the standpoint of homeland defense, a better alternative would be to go for about 5 million rifles and about 50 million 12g shotguns. As rifle production ramps up, shotgun production can decrease. In 2006, there were 1,021,260 pistols, 382,069 revolvers, 1,496,505 rifles, 714,618 shotguns, and 35,872 misc firearms produced in the US, per the ATF. Making another 5-10 million rifles will take up to a year, even after repurposing other factories. Barrels will again be the critical path item, and I'm not sure how long expanding production of them will take. Shotgun barrels are a lot easier to make than rifle barrels.

In response to a someone suggesting a Kalishnikov.
That actually may work better
Although a new or slightly modified cartridge may be the best option.

For that matter, the AK is short and small for Western hands.

How about this proposal: Directly scale the AK47 to a .458 caliber. That would give a (ponder,ponder,calculate) 1.53 scaling factor. The case would be the 11.6x59mm, with a case head of 0.678" and an overall length of 3.3". This will be a firearm limited to 300-400 yards against Baldrick sized targets, but that appears to be the desired sweet spot.

Using a stamped reciever, the mechanism needs minimal machining and the number of firearms which can be produced climbs by a factor of at least 5 and possibly 8 or more over any M1/M14 variant. For that matter, open souce the plans and specifications and virtually any automotive machine shop can make them in low numbers. Again, the limiting factor is the barrel, but AK barrels are proportionately shorter, thus more can be made. Accurate AK07 manufacture will depend on the tolerances that can be held, but today's standards are already tighter than really desired for functionality.

There still needs to be a large caliber DMR design for ranges up to 800 yards, but that will be easier than making 25-30 million DMR equivalent rifles.
Nobody is suggesting the .50 Beowulf be used at anything past say 50-100 yards-this is going to be a streetfighting weapon only. I don't know enough to comment on your other items, but the AK recomendation isn't bad from where I sit-it's already a larger diameter round standard and it's very well suited to conscripts. But I don't think it would be adopted by American forces for political reasons. Let the Russians and Chinese turn that out, we'll be working on our own solutions.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Ibn Sina Hospital, Baghdad, Iraq

“These things smell dreadful. Couldn’t we have chilled them?”

“We did Doctor. Unfortunately dead baldricks appear to rot very fast indeed. As far as we can tell, its daylight that causes them to decay, not temperature.”

“Ultraviolet sensitive then? Would that tie in with reports of their sensitivity to lasers?” A doctor in the observation gallery sounded very thoughtful.

“They do seem to be sensitive to most of our technology, from ultra-violence to infra-dead.” A chuckle crossed the gallery. The baldricks were running west, with three armies in hot pursuit and another closing in from the North. Suddenly, they seemed far less frightening.

Doctor Surlethe nodded and looked at the baldrick corpse stretched out on the dissection table in front of him. “This is a big one even by baldrick standards, nearly 3 meters tall, weight 200 kilograms?”

“Before your army shot large pieces off him, yes.” Another ripple of laughter ran around the operating theater. The relationship between Iraqi and American had eased to the point where they could make jokes about each other without fearing consequences. On the other hand, the Iraqi nurse flushed slightly, even now she felt ill at ease receiving public attention.

“Let’s have a look at the X-rays.” Surlethe had them set up on the overhead displays. “Is everybody seeing what I’m seeing?”

“It’s very human.” One of the watching doctors spoke hesitantly. “Human but not human, as if it was a human body seen through a nightmare.”

“Exactly, the body is laid out almost identically to ours. The single upper arm and upper leg bones, the two bones in the lower arms and legs. The same number of ribs, of vertebrae. If we go by bone count and position, this thing is human. But, of course, we know it isn’t. The bones themselves are twisted and distorted, and there are things here that have no equivalent in our anatomy. Not just superficial things either, like the horns and tail. There’s these things as well.” Surlethe tapped the body where what appeared to be huge muscles ran down its back. They were so large they made the creature’s spine look as if it was in the middle of its body rather than its back. The creatures stunted wings stuck out of them reminiscent of broken branches from a snow bank. “50 percent of its body mass would you say?”

There was a ripple of agreement. “I thought they were muscles that allowed it to fly but they’re not. This thing can’t fly. Did histology come up with anything?”

“Doctor Surlethe, we find this hard to believe but we think they are electrocytes. The samples we took show them to be very similar to those in the electric eel but they are much larger and many times more numerous. The electric eel generates 500 volts at 1 amp, if these cells work the same way, the baldrick should be able to generate 5,000 volts at 10 amps. Almost 100 times more power.”

“That would explain much, especially their ability to fire bolts of lightning. Let’s have a look inside shall we?”

Surlethe took an electric carving knife, he’d already found from bitter experience that surgical scalpels had a very short life when faced with baldrick skin, and sliced into the dead baldrick. The smell was far worse once the skin was opened up and inside, the internal organs were already decomposing into slush.

“From what we can see here, it’s the same as with the bone structure. The internal organs are human in placement but wildly different from us in shape and appearance. We have no real idea of the fine detail of function of course. For example, this looks like a liver but is it? What else does it do? Thoughts people?”

“It is as if it was human but became corrupted.” The Iraqi nurse was speaking slowly. “Almost as if this was once human but something got at it, corrupted its DNA.”

“It’s worth noting that the other bodies are very similar to this. If this is the result of DNA being corrupted, then the corruption was done systematically. The process has created a new species.”

“Did this evolve from us? Or is it parallel evolution?” Another Iraqi doctor watching the dissection spoke. He was slightly guarded, incredibly, he’d heard that there were Americans who were still dumb enough to believe in creationist stories and deny the scientific truth that stared into their faces. It was so strange, how could a people who could create such wonders also believe in things so foolish? Still, he didn’t want to upset one of them, they had guns as well as strange beliefs.

Surlethe thought carefully. “I’d say its parallel evolution, they started out as the next-level-up version of us and something happened to them. Either they’ve been infected with something that messed up their DNA or they’ve been engineered to look like this.”

“Genetic engineering needs technology.” Yet another Iraqi doctor. “And we know they don’t have it.”

“We think they don’t Doctor. Its very probable they don’t and we certainly haven’t seen it yet. But we can’t rule out the possibility that there’s pockets of technology somewhere. However, genetic engineering doesn’t need that high technology, just patience and breeding experiments. Look at dogs, a Rottweiler and a Chihuahua were engineered from the same ancestor. These could be the same.” I wish they’d let me dissect that succubus Surlethe thought. Then we’d have something to compare this with. “Right, well, lets look a bit more before this one decays to nothingness.”

Outside Gary’s Shoe Store, Lakeview Mall, Chicago, Illinois

“But its….. una ropas de puton.” Maria looked at the top her school-friends were urging her to buy. If she’d worn it back in Honduras, her mother would beat her and old women would whisper accusations behind her back. But here?

“Look girl, you’re in America now. Halter tops, mini-skirts and fuck-me pumps get issued at the border. Get used to it.” Shana’s voice was severe but she was laughing underneath it.

Maria looked dubious but she could see her friends were right. Dress standards were different here. She’d only been at the school six weeks and this was her first time hanging out in the mall with her new friends. She didn’t want to embarrass herself or them. What she didn’t know was that she was far from the first new arrival from Central America who’d joined the school and all the girls with her understood how difficult the adjustment from the highly conservative lifestyle she’d come from was. The Immigration Department might run assimilation classes for new arrivals but the high school girls had their own, much more efficient program. She should have guessed from the way they were speaking, the group had two African-American girls, three Anglos and two Latinas. They were speaking in a strange mixture of Spanish and English, switching from one language to the other in mid-sentence with unconscious fluency, the whole mixed in with ebonic slang. Viewed objectively it was an awesome display of bilingualism.

She held the blouse up against herself again. In truth, it was quite modest by the standards of teenage girls at a mall and was on sale, 80 percent off. And it did make her look nice. She pushed her hat a little back on her head, trying to make up her mind. All the girls were wearing the fashionable kepi-style caps with aluminum foil built into the crown and neck, that was one thing that had changed since The Message. Now, everybody wore caps, all the time. The stores here were full of them, some cheap baseball caps with foil inserts, others much more expensive. Maria finally made her decision. She’d take the top. She took it to the counter and, as she started to pay, her friends broke out in a round of applause. She’d just done something her mother would not approve of and that was her first step to becoming a real American teenager.

“Hey man, you, like, going to get some more donuts?” One of the Anglo girls, Marcie, was speaking to Philip Phelan, the shift supervisor of the Mall security guards. He smiled a bit weakly at her, it was a joke all the rentacops on duty here had to put up with but she was a customer so her jokes were, by definition, funny.

“Fraid not ma’am. Crispy Kreme ran out of original glazed so I’m going to have to make do with Pop-Tarts.”

“Poor baby.” Marcie’s voice was sweetly consoling. “The red light comes on again in an hour so I’m told.”

“Why thank you ma’am. I’ll bear that in mind.”

Marcie watched Phelan continue his rounds, a shadow of concern crossing her mind. He was way too far over-weight and she could see him wheezing slightly. It reminded her of her father before he’d had his first heart attack. He really should be sitting comfortably behind a desk, she thought. Then she frowned slightly, there was a ripple in the air down by the food court. Something overheating? Or a fire? She was just about to call attention to it when the ripple changed to a black dot and then to an ellipse.

She’d seen what stepped out of that ellipse on news programs, on film of the fighting in the Middle East, but she’d never expected to see something like it in her local mall. A baldrick, fully nine feet tall, complete with horns, tail and trident. Eyes glowing red and small pointed beard seeming to bristle at the stunned shoppers. There was an eerie silence as people tried to absorb what was happening. A silence that was interrupted by a crack and brilliant blue flash as the baldrick discharged his trident at a woman pushing baby carriage. The crash as the woman went down, convulsing from the massive electrical shock, broke the spell.

“Run!” Shana grabbed Maria and started bundling her forward. Years of threatened shootings in high schools had lead Americans to learn a vital lesson; when trouble is breaking out, get as far and as fast in the opposite direction as possible. Maria didn’t have that inbred instinct and had to be shown. Her friends half-pushed, half-dragged her towards the exit adjacent to the mall’s Macy’s store.

Across the mall, the shoppers were dispersing in different directions, depending in which exit was nearest. The silence was replaced by the sound of screaming from the chaotic mob of people. In its midst, the baldrick grabbed another victim with the claws of one hand, ripped him open with the other and threw the disintegrating body into the mass of running people. Then, it looked around, its eyes fixed on a group running for the Macy’s exit and set off after them.

Philip Phelan didn’t run. Unfortunately, he didn’t have a gun either. The mall rentacops weren’t allowed to carry them. He did have a taser and he used it, helplessly watching the barbed metal spikes bounce off the skin of the baldrick. The monster had already carved its way through three more people, throwing their dismembered remains around and Phelan believed that his job was now to buy as much time as he could for the rest to get clear. The monster reached out for him, almost lazily , its great claws reaching for his throat. Phelan had drawn his baton and he swiped at the grabbing hand, knocking it to one side. Them he slashed back in the opposite direction, hitting the monster in the throat, causing it to stagger for a second. For one delirious moment, he actually believed he had a chance of winning the encounter, then he felt the claws on the baldrick’s other hand sinking into his abdomen. They hooked around the bottom of his ribs and the last thing that Phelan ever felt was him being hurled into the air as his chest came apart.

The baldrick watched the fat old man land in the food court on the floor below and looked around for another victim. A middle-aged woman had stopped running and was facing him, holding both hands out as if she was praying. A ridiculous idea but who knew what these humans would try. Then there were a series of bright flashes from the woman’s hands and the baldrick felt six jabbing pains in his chest. He paused for a brief second then started after the woman.

“Lady you got reloads?”

“No.” She wailed, looking at the monster bearing down on her.

“Run!” The man speaking had another handgun out. One a lot bigger than the woman’s little Kel-Tec .32. He was in the correct position, M1911A1 in both hands, right hand pushing, left hand pulling and his nine shots made a perfect group on the baldricks chest. Then, his slide locked back on empty, he followed the woman running for the exit, the baldrick now streaming green blood from the wound in its chest, closing rapidly on them.

They were saved by the shoe salesman in Gary’s Shoe Store, who had been a mighty athlete in his day. As the baldrick crossed in front of his store, he ran out and took it in a perfect football tackle, slamming it off its feet and into the guard rail. The railing, more decorative than ornamental, cracked free of the floor and for a moment looked like it might give way under the impact, but it held and the fighting human and baldrick bounced off it back onto the floor. The baldrick managed to tear at the human’s face with one hand and that gained him enough of an advantage to throw him off. The shoe salesman was blinded, crippled by the injury and didn’t have a chance of evading the slash that tore out his heart. By that time, the man and woman who had shot the baldrick were safely away.

Out in the car park was a Ford F-150 pick-up truck, covered with NRA stickers. More significantly, both its driver and passenger were hunters who had come in for some supplies at the Northwest Face store before going off on a trip. Bill Redfield saw the people pouring out of the exits and managed to stop one as he ran past the truck.

“What’s going on?”

“Baldricks, in the mall. They’re killing everybody.” The man tore himself free and continued running.

“Can’t get in though the doors Jim, too many people coming out. Like running into an avalanche.”

“The Café.”

“Hit It.”

The Coffee Cup Café was on the ground floor level with the car park and, better, it had a terrace and windows that were a rare interruption in the otherwise blank mall walls. Jim Caldwell slammed his truck into gear and floored the accelerator. He was doing over 60 miles an hour when his truck ploughed through the terrace tables and smashed open the windows beyond. Redfield and Caldwell, and their truck, were in the mall. A few seconds later they were running into the main concourse holding their hunting rifles.

“Escalators, up.” The screaming said the baldricks were on the top floor. They sprinted up the escalator in time to see a single baldrick, there was only one, tearing a man apart outside a shoe store. The baldrick stood up and started to close in on the people struggling outside Macys but Caldwell dropped to one knee and took aim. He had an old Garand, sporterized and fitted with a scope, across the width of the mall it was murderously accurate. He squeezed out his eight rounds of .30-06 and heard the characteristic ‘ting’ as the clip was ejected. The baldrick staggered with the impacts, obviously finding it had to stay on its feet, but it was still obviously determined to get into the crowd of humans. That wasn’t bad tactics either, once mixed in with humans, the usefulness of the hunting rifles would be much diminished.

Redfield stopped that happening. His favored game was elk and moose and he had the rifle to match. A Weatherby Mark V Deluxe chambered for .416 Weatherby Magnum. With its scope, it had cost him almost $3,000 and his wife had given him the silent treatment for three months after she’d found it in the gun safe. He dropped flat and took careful aim, squeezing the trigger and feeling the brutal recoil as the rifle sent the heavy bullet tearing down range. He didn’t stop to see what the result was, he was working the bolt to feed the second round into the chamber. By the time he got his eye back to the scope, the baldrick was sitting down, the wall behind it splattered green with its blood. Redfield fired again, seeing the baldrick jerk as the bullet ploughed into it. There was no doubt, it was down for good but he still had a single round left in his rifle and the thing was still moving. He worked the bolt again then took careful aim at the monster’s head. It burst very pleasingly as the bullet struck home.

Redfield straightened up, pleased with himself despite the pain in his shoulder. Caldwell was looking at him. “Remind me never to poke fun at that cannon of yours again,” he said.

Across the concourse, it was hard to believe it was over. The baldrick lay dead barely ten feet from where Maria stood crying. She was in shock, from terror and the deafening explosions that had brought the monster down. She and her friends had been at the back of the crowd trying to escape and they would have been the first to die if the baldrick had reached the crowd. Maria knew it but all she could think of was that in the panic she’d lost the bag holding her new blouse. Now she’d lost it, it seemed enormously important to her. Behind her, she felt a hand on her shoulder.

“Hey Maria.” It was Kelly, one of the Anglo girls with Maria’s shopping bag. “You dropped this. Second lesson on being a mall rat, never, ever, let go of your loot.”

Across the mall concourse, two men in hunting clothes stood up. There was silence for a second, then an eruption of cheering. One of the men waved, the other held his rifle above his head. The cheering redoubled.

Maria found a microphone stuck in her face. “KVTW News. What did you see?”

“I saw the devil coming to kill us and an old security man attacked it with a stick. It killed him but he saved our lives. Éra el hombre mas valiente que nunca haya visto.”

The television reporter turned to another person, a woman who was staring at a tiny semi-automatic pistol in her hand. “Ma’am, what do you think?”

She looked dazedly at the camera. “I need a bigger fucking gun.”
Last edited by Stuart on 2008-03-09 03:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Now I have to wonder if my Dad's Garand is de-militarized. I know he said it was surplussed, but I never really thought to ask. Part of me childishly thought he'd brought it back with him from the Marines after Korea.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Al Bundy has finally gone to a better place.
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Stuart Mackey wrote:Al Bundy has finally gone to a better place.
Goddamn, you're right! 'Gary's shoes for men' and everything. Great chapter, Stuart! It certainly has dire implications if a Baldrick can manifest at random and start ripping people apart. One is bad enough, but what if it had been 3 or 6? Clearly, we're going to have to make gun ownership MANDATORY, like Switzerland, and teach people how to shoot.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

While a good chapter, it breaks the flow of the story, IMHO.

I would've thought we'd get a scene in Hell where Satan is informed of the defeat of Abigor's army, and in his anger, orders these terror attacks at the suggestion of some other fairly intelligent Baldrick general.

*THEN* we'd see Baldricks appearing in malls and killing shoppers.
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
JCady
Padawan Learner

Re: Some collected responses

Post by JCady »

kdahm(the same one) wrote:The Duchess is wrong about using Garands converted to .458 Winchester. The overall length is the same, but the case head is 0.514" instead of the 30-06 0.473". That means that the bolt and receiver feed mechanism must be changed for the new cartridge, and that's not a trivial task. Reducing the bolt head thickness and barrel thickness will lower the vaunted strength of the action.
What part of "there already is a company which makes brand-new Garands in .458 Winchester Magnum" do you fail to comprehend, huh?
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Stuart Mackey wrote:Al Bundy has finally gone to a better place.
Goddamn, you're right! 'Gary's shoes for men' and everything.
Mind you, with his luck he will will wake up in hell, think his life just got better, look around and there's Peg.

Great chapter, Stuart! It certainly has dire implications if a Baldrick can manifest at random and start ripping people apart. One is bad enough, but what if it had been 3 or 6? Clearly, we're going to have to make gun ownership MANDATORY, like Switzerland, and teach people how to shoot.
I suspect that all nations will do this, although I imagine that the left of the spectrum in some western nation's, esp in Australia and Britain, will be at their idealogical wits end over that :)
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
JBG
Padawan Learner

Post by JBG »

Chewie is right. Just one was barely manageable in that situation.

Stuart had hinted at other portals being opened but just one baldrick coming through? That really has me wondering about just what form Stuart will have these portals take and what function they will serve.

This chapter did seem to have a flavour derived from the recent mall and uni shootings in the US, in gun free zones!

Jonathan
Gullible Jones
Jedi Knight

Post by Gullible Jones »

Just a thought re bullets: what's the smallest, lowest-yield HE round currently in production?
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Clearly, we're going to have to make gun ownership MANDATORY, like Switzerland, and teach people how to shoot.
I third that.

By the way, shouldn't there be a scene where a scientist methodically fires guns of various calibers into a Baldrick corpse and measures the radius and depth of the resulting hole to see how effective those guns are against the enemy?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I think concealed carry laws will also go away, we don’t want anyone hiding the fact that they have a gun, we want everyone to know who has a gun right away so that defenses can be organized as quickly as possible.
Gullible Jones wrote:Just a thought re bullets: what's the smallest, lowest-yield HE round currently in production?
Almost certainly Raufoss Multipurpose shells in 12.7x99mm caliber. Back in WW2 though the Germans did have explosive 7.92mm machine gun bullets, but the main point was that the explosion made a flash on impact to show the pilot he was scoring hits, not to inflict blast damage which will be absurdly puny. Against a Baldrick a telfon nose hollowpoint or a softpoint might be just as effective, and its certainly easier to produce.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

KlavoHunter wrote:While a good chapter, it breaks the flow of the story, IMHO.

I would've thought we'd get a scene in Hell where Satan is informed of the defeat of Abigor's army, and in his anger, orders these terror attacks at the suggestion of some other fairly intelligent Baldrick general.

*THEN* we'd see Baldricks appearing in malls and killing shoppers.
When one writes a story, one has to ask themselves if a given bit of exposition really does anything for the story that might be done more efficiently and effectively somewhere else. A scene like the one you've suggested, I imagine, would diminish the dramatic impact of the baldrick mall rampage scene, because having had the threat spoon-fed to them, the readers won't be at all surprised or shocked when baldricks turn up and start terrorizing the populace.

Arguably, the fact that you've visualized such a scene shows that you've already worked for yourself the chain of events that might've caused baldricks to turn up in the mall. So from a storytelling standpoint, there'd be no value added to the story by including it.

Of course, it may be that baldrick terror attacks weren't brought on by Abigor's ignominious defeat at all. Terrorizing villages with random raids to remind the peasants who's boss is a tactic as old as warfare. It could also be that someone on the Human side is feeding information back to the baldricks, or baldrick intelligence-gathering penetration is deeper than one might think. The author may be withholding that information until such a time as revealing it would be useful for moving the story along.
JN1
Padawan Learner

Post by JN1 »

Now that's a bit worrying that a baldrick can turn up just about anywhere.
Good chapter, Stuart.
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

KlavoHunter wrote:While a good chapter, it breaks the flow of the story, IMHO.I would've thought we'd get a scene in Hell where Satan is informed of the defeat of Abigor's army, and in his anger, orders these terror attacks at the suggestion of some other fairly intelligent Baldrick general. *THEN* we'd see Baldricks appearing in malls and killing shoppers.
Not quite, what's going on is much sneakier than that. Luga will do some explaining shortly.

By the way, congrats to everybody who spotted the "Married with Children" references.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
JN1
Padawan Learner

Post by JN1 »

She looked dazedly at the camera. “I need a bigger fucking gun.”
Best line of the chapter, IMVHO. :D