Imperial Munitorum Manual Analysis and Discussion

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Imperial Munitorum Manual Analysis and Discussion

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Well a week before the weekend starrted the bloody thing arrived. and in that time I'd been very busy, and not had much time to bother with this. As it is, it interrupted my normal reading (as has getting "Armour of Contempt" - tons of neat stuff in there. too) as well as my regualr posting schedule. That said, I've gotten around to start posting bits from the Munitorum manual.

I had alot of mixed results about it. There's alot of good stuff in there (as I see it) but there's some also real goofy shit. McNeill seems to like self-referencing (or adapting) modern stuff alot more as well as alot of earlier fluff (alot of this is adapted/modified from the 1st/second editions tuff, sepcially the Wargear/Battle Manual and 2nd edition IG codex books and whatnot.) Which is not a bad thing, because that tends to be the more sophisticated period from a technical standpoint, and one of my favorites. That said, McNeill does seem to want to impose his "own" viewpoints on 40K tech into continuity, which can cause annoying inconsistencies (in much the same vein as his screwing up Ttian scalings.) That said, I consider the contributions to be largely worthwhile, and the inconsistencies/problems minor.

That little rant done, onto the techie stuff:

The beginning chapters deal more with the raising/equipping of Guard regiments than with actual technical details, but it does have som ethings of interest (if not repeated from elsewhere.)

Page 7

- we see a drawing of the Munitorum officials holding/offering up shells to the Guardsmen. Each shell looks to (roughly) be around 80-160 mm in diameter, but that's just conjecture. Its also a drawing, so its acccuracy can be considered questionable. We see basilisks in the background, so we might guess those are basilisk shells, but I wouldn't bet on it. I still thought it might be interesting to note nonetheless.

Page 8

- The Departmento Munitorum holds three seats among the High Lords of Terra: the Lord Commander Militant, the Lord Commander of the Estate Imperium, and The Master of the Administratum.

This is interesting, as it implies those seats are virtually sacrosanct, which would seem to contradict the earlier edition "Codex Imperialis", which indicates that only the "Master of the Administratum" is certain - the others must compete among a number of other officials to hold office (nine positions are "sacrosanct", 3 more can vary.) This may suggest that at some point iether more seats/officials were added as permanant posts to the High Lords, or all such potential seats that formerly competed were given a formal status.

Page 8
The Ministorum governs some Imperial worlds, while others are ruled by the tech priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Of these wrolds, we shall not trouble ourselves, for their methods of accounting and logistical mechanics are arcane and byzantine.

Such worlds are in the minority and thus the majority of Imperial worlds must look to the Departmento Munitorum for their defense and safety. The Garrison worlds of the Imperial Guard and those under the jurisdiction of Imperial Commanders are where we shall confine our researchads and revelations in this publication.
The Ecclesiarchy holds some worlds, just as the AdMech, Space Marines, and even the Guard do (Garrison worlds.) One assumes that these refer to the Cardinal Worlds/Shrine worlds. All such worlds, of course, are rare compared to the vast majority held by Imperial Commanders, though it is implied that the Guard hold many more worlds than the other groups combined. Which amkes sense, given their role in ground operations - any world not ruled by one of the other organizations or by a Imperial Commander would have to be held by the Guard naturally.

Page 8

- the document uses the Cadian 91st as the "standard example" of how the Munitorum and Guard interact. Thus anything we see being referencecd in this documen t we can assume a Cadian regiment possesses. As a rule, since we know Cadians are often emulated by other regiments (in equipment and design if not in doctrines and training), we could likely infer that they probably do represent as close to a "stnadard" in the Imperium as such could exist (which again explains why the Cadians were chosen.) The fact that the Guardsmen in the Uplifting Primer resemble Cadians reinforces this idea.

Page 9
These local forces are generally codified as Planetary Defence Forces (PDF) and must be maintained at a level of readiness where they can withstand the attack of even a very powerful enemy force until reinforcements can arrive. However, the promise of reinforcements comes at the price known as a "tithe."
- the basic (if somewhat simplified) agreement that holds between the Imperium/High Lords and their vassals - they provide the "tithe" and in turn the Imperium provides assistance in times of crisis.

We can infer that PDF size, by the need to withstand "attack from very powerful enemies" does imply something on the order of many millions of troops (if not tens of millions) for defense, possibly more in the cases of some worlds (Ilike Hive Worlds) or smaller in other cases (Agri worlds.)

Page 9
It is the Departmento Munitorum's task to collect a tithe from every world in the Imperium and it is the duty of evey Imperial Commander to provide it in a timely fashion. This tithe can be taken in the form of men or materiel, depending on the planet in question. The methods of assessment are fair and just, though they require the willing services of thosuands of scribes and accounting servitors to adjudge the wealth of an entire world. Many factors must be taken into account, including the wealth and resources of the world, as well as the likelihood of attack in the foreseeable future.
Description of the tithing process. The process of merely determining Tithes requires countless billions of Munitorum personnel, setting a lower limit on their own membership. (Like the Guard's stated numbers, we can assume it is grossly consevative.)

Page 9-10
When a tithe is taken in men under arms, soldiers will be recruited in much the same way as they are for the PDF and sometimes entire regiments will be riased from the ranks of the PDF itself. In addition ot the regular tithes, the Departmento Munitorum can also demand that the Imperial Commander raise regiments to meet a specific threat or answer a call for aid from a neighboring system or planet.
"Regular" tithing of troops generally draws from the standing PDF force of a world. This makes alot of sense, as it simplifies the needs of the Guard to train troops, and can in many cases provide them with a core of wel-trained, experienced and blooded soldiers (blooded in battles on their own world), particularily since they tend to take the best troops of a given world for the Guard.

By contrast, the "specific" regiments raised from a world (in addition to the regular tithe) usually seem to come from the populace itself, given some sources, although others (and as mentioend later) as well as logic dictate that unless the situation is dire, they probably just skim off a bit more from the local PDFs and let the local commanders worry about recruiting and retraining fresh troops. When the Guard conscripts directly from the civilian populace, however, we can conclude that it is in such a situation where they are prone to be less well trained (and probably equipped, due to the logistics and probable numbers) than their "tithed" or PDF-tapped counterparts. This also probably means they are more prone to being cannon fodder than others (save Penal legions and likely most feral/feudal worlds.) This may be offset by the fact that most conscription seems to take criminal/gang types (particularily on Hive Worlds) and in most cases these individuals are probably just as dangerous (if not moreos) than your average militiaman (and of course, there's also the fact that on some hives, there is little differecne between being a ganger and PDF..)

Page 10
..the Departmento Munitorum is organised at the sector and sub-sector level. Each level of organization has enough autonomy to respond to local problems, normally acting to supporrt Imperial regiments from worlds close to a crisis point in an increasing radius as required. This level of response will escalate to meet the level of the threat. Should the PDF of a world prove inadequate to repel invaders, the sub-sector comand of the Departtmento Munitorum will deploy its standing Imperial Guard regiments to augment and/or avenge the local forces. If more forces are needed then the sub-sector command will raise additional troops, initially from nearby worlds and then from other, more distant worlds in the sub-sector. As the commitment of troops grows, sector command of the Departmento Munitorum will become more involved and reinforcements will be drawn from more and more worlds. The effect is that the harder an enemy strikes the Imperium, the greater the response will be.
Further description of how the Munitorum operates, ,and how regiments are raised, deployed in times of war. It is a very reactive system, and somewhat cumbersome at times as distance increases, ,but given the circumstances the Imperium must work under, its probably the best they can manage. And, for defensive purposes, it probably works for the most part, sincee noone can realistically hope to outnumber the Guard in the long term, save perhaps the Necrons.

The mention of "standing regiments" is interesting, but it makes a certain amount of sense, since a threat could strike at any time and a "rapid response force" (by Imperium standardS) would speed up the response process. One may imagine that until called on such troops are used for garrison or security purposes elswhere, where they are on hand in case of need.

Lastly - its worth noting on the next page is a chart that the Departmento Munitorum does apparently have levels at the Segmentum and planetary levels as well. a little note at the bottom says "Cadian Sector Deparrtmento Munitorum structure ends at Segmentum Obscuras level". This may be due to the parrt Cadia plays in the Eye of Terror, which grants it certain unique

Page 10

- when "dozens" of regiments are raised, the general staff of the Departmento Munitorum will assign a "higher level of command", This command group is generally formed from the best of the officers in the tithed regiments (either by performancee or family connections, as the case may be.) Once chosen, such indviiduals receive additional training to suit them to their tasks (commanding armies.) The titles of such leaders at the highest levels are a "Lord General Militant" or "Lord Commander Militant", though other titles can also be in use for such a position. Regardless of title, there is usually only one such person in command at any given time in a sector.

The next step up is Warmaster. Generally assigned for only the biggest crusades (like the Sabbat Worlds Crusade), the Departmento Munitorum is forbidden from assigning the title without the approval of the High Lords of Terra, due to the insane power that a Warmaster (naturally) wields (said to be "second only to t he Emperor himself.) - the Warmaster has "carte blanche" to do what must be done to achieve his tasks. There is only one Warmaster at any time, regardless (And some question the merit of its usage in the "modern' Imperium.)

Some individuals chosen as "Warmaster" may also go by the "Synonymous title" of "Lord Solar".

The "dozens of regiments" implies the scope of an "Army" in the Imperium. There are of course, countless individula "armies"

The rest of it we largely now, save the bit about "Lord General" - generally we can expect there to be thousands/tens of thousands of such individuals in the Imperium at any one time, each commanding millions/tens of millions of troops, if not billions.

PS: (I've gotten a fair chunk of the book already written up, so there's no need for anyone else to bother doing so, but I of course can't stop you if you want to contribute your own opinions, ,as a few others have before already. I also intend to go over stuff already covered, so those who contributed those bits, like the ammo counts for lasguns, will forgive me.)
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Some of the most absurd stuff I found were in the regulations, where if they were all applied I would expect that every Departmento Munitorum office has a sign reading, "You are my Bitch, now bend over".
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Lost Soal wrote:Some of the most absurd stuff I found were in the regulations, where if they were all applied I would expect that every Departmento Munitorum office has a sign reading, "You are my Bitch, now bend over".
I found their strictures on technology particularily goofy and utterly transparent.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Second update.... more recruiting and logistics stuff. Bigger than the last one, because I want to finish this partt up and move onto the equipment and other fun stuff.

Page 12
Though Cadia is a bleak, merciless, and wind-blown planet, where only the strongest surivve to adulthood and discipline is learned at the earliest age, it isa world that breeds only the hardiest soldiers. Armies train with live ammunition, and every day not spent training is a day wasted. Every city (or Kasr, as they are known) is a fortress, with the streets and buildings fashioned with great cunning by the finest military architects of the Departmento Munitorum. Every Cadian is taught the skills of the warrior as soon as he can walk, and Cadians are much sought after by commanders throughout the galaxy.

From the earliest age, Cadians are instructed how to field strip a weapon with their eyes shut, and tactical doctrine is taught before reading and writing. One soldier in every ten is recruited into the Interior Guard, regardless of ability or achievements. As a result, some of the most able soldiers spend their entire military service on Cadia, and the soldiers of the Cadian Planetary Defence Force are among the most effective and skilled fighting men in the Imperium. Seek to emulate the Cadian soldier in every aspect of your lie and you will be setting a fine example for your fellows!.
Cadian Training regimen. One probably imagines that these qualify as "fanatical" guards, if not nearly as much as the Death Korps, probably quite close.

Cadian PDF also seems to represent about 1/10th the probable Planetary population.

Page 12

- The 91st Cadians, the "sample" case used for this book, was raised "in resposne to a mighty invasion that smashed through the Cadian gate in recent times," also referencing a battle "fought on the soil of Cadia", and that "millions died."

It is apparently not widely known that the region Cadian Guards is the eye of Terror (or at least the Munitorum manual tries to pass it off that way - saying only that "a great enemy" comes from a region of "great corruption." A subscript note mentions that to speak of it is heresy and an offence punishable by death. Any word of that is ntoed to be reported to the platoon commissar immediately.

Page 14
Each planetary governror recruits, equips, and maintains his own PDF and the number and types of these troops vary tremendously from world to world. The forces of a multi-billion population hive world such as Armageddon are vastly different from a sparsely populated world like Ryza. Regarldess of the size of its armies, each world is obliged to make 10% of its total armed forces available for recruitment into the Imperial Guard in any year. An army is gathered from a number of worlds, usually over a radius of no more than ten thousand light years and its theoretical size is a tenth of the entire armed forces of those worlds. In practice, planetary Lords are often called upon to provide greater forces and more frequently, especially if the immediate danger is great.
This is probably more or less lifted from the 2nd eidtion IG Codex. What is itneresting is that it suggests the 10% is more of a potential "upper limit" figure, rather than the normal recruitment rate. Its also interesting to note the last line implies that they provide more than 10% of the number more often. This suggests that the numbers I estimated elsewhere probably fluctuate downwards (in theory) but are much greater (in practice.)

When you add in relativiistic effects on time/aging and what the warp too can add, the number of "active Guardsman" could increase even further.

Page 14
During the H'rud Incursion of 744.M39, forces raisd from Armageddon numbered over 1,000,000 men, while those of the nearby Agri-world of Chemal were barely enough to form a Company.
This suggests that the Armageddon PDF numbers at least 10 million troops (usually) - this may not have been a "major" complement. The normal forces on an Agri world seem to muster in the thousands, tops.

Givehn Armageddon is described as "multi-billion", this might imply around 1-.1% of the population is inducted into the PDF, on average. On an Agri world it seems similar ratio.

Page 14
Millions upon millions of Guardsmen from all across the galaxy journeyed to Cadia in response to Lord Castellan Creed's request for assistance, but the soldiers of CAdia itself were its fiercest defenders, and noe more so than the Cadian 91st.
This would suggest that there are at least "tens of millions" of PDF troopers average within 10,000 LY of Cadia. this is probably a very drastic underestimate, however.

Page 14
The 91st was a regiment that had previously existed, but some conventions are not unheard of in the annals of the Guard. Often a regiment raised frrom the same planet can inherit the same number as one previously raised. Some numbers are regarded as auspicious, and in this way the regiment maintains a degree of continuity and attachment to history. In addition to a historic number, some regiments acquire themselves fearsome names to better terrify the wrteched foe!
Regiments can often "retain" auspicious numbers and "new" regiments can be assigned the name. This is rather curious, given that the Vostroyan Firstborn, known to practicee somethign similar (they gain recruits to fill out the ranks of regiments formed long ago... the regiments "continue" to the very day more or less unbroken.). Then again some Valhallan regiments also gain recruits from their home worlds, so this might not be all that unusual. Maybe the Vostroyans are unusual for doing it uniformly.

Page 15
The Decree Martial was proclaimed on St. Josemane's Day and nearly 9,000 courageous Cadians wishing to enlist reportted to Campus Bellum and presented themselves to the Officio Medicae for physical evaluation and measurement of any psychic potential. The recruits that successfully passed the stringent medical and genetic testing (in this case 98% - no weaklings are tolerated on Cadia!) were then sworn in as guardsmen and billeted within the Kasr itself.
98% of 9,000 Cadians were accepted into the Guard.. nearly 8900. Its noit certain whether this was one regiment or two.

It is noted that even on Cadia "no two regiments are exactly alike", so even among highyl specailized planets producing individaul regiments, variations can occur.

Page 15
Once the men were gathered, they were equipped with all the weapons and equipment they needed to fight for the Emperor. Much of this was provided by the Imperial Commander himself and there was, therefore, great scope for the variety. The Departmento Munitorum issues simple guidelines [snipped the specifi book, nto relevant) to enable regiments to be fitted out with weapons and equipment that can be easily replaced during active service. Many reigments once equipped and trained will have only limited numbers of armoured units or artillery and many will travel to the nearest forge world of the Adeptus Mechanicus to take on extra heavy weaponry, siege machines, and super heavy tanks as well as fuel and general munitions. En route, the regiment will continue to train and receive many hours of induction from the reigment's commissars. However, the 91st Regiment required no such additional training, for each man had already fought in the Cadian Defence Forces for several years.
- The outfitting of Guardsmen. Note the "great variety of gear". Outfitting of equipment is twofold - the gear provided by the Imperial Commander himself, as well as additional gear picked up at the fordgeowlrd. Its also worth noting that it seems common for regiments to be "combined arms" to some degree, haivng tanks, artillery, and the like.

Note that the virtue of the Cadians is that they're already highly trained, experienced, or "blooded" soldiers. Training is largely redundant (save whatever routine training they may engage in to "keep their edge.")

Page 15
In any active war zone there are hundreds of senior commanders with thousands of personal staff. In addition, there are tens of thousands of scribes, observer, and organisational officers of the Departmento Munitorum. Indeed, for every fighting man there stands behind him a virtual army of bureaucrats and support perssonel whose heroic efforrts keep the armies going.
Page 16
Colonel Valmaer leads the 91st Cadians from his Command Platoon and is accompanied by support squads equipped with specialised weapons, such as missile launchers and mortars. They provide the Command Platoon with concentrated fire support and security for the Colonel himself.
Another reason for support squads attached to Command groups - they're added security. (although as noted, individual squads can carry support/heavy weapons if circumstances permit.)

Page 16

- Commissars come under the auspices of the Departmento Munitorum (obviously.) The Commissariat troopers we learn about (storm troopers) in certain novels (like the latter Ghosts novels) probably also do as well (Provosts, perhaps.)

Page 16
Most [Commissars] will have been recruited from the Schola Progenium of the Adeptus Ministorum and will have served as Storm Troopers before their selection for duties as Commissars, so they are no strangers to war.

As all Guardsmen will be aware, the prime duty of the Commissar is to preserve the fighting spirit and loyalty to the Regiment. If discipline is lax, the Commissar will step in to reinforce it. If the Regiment's officers are incompetent or lack courage the Commissar will remove them by the sternest measures.
Several facts:

- Commissars are often former storm troopers. This probably gives us a measure of indication of the fighting capabilities of a Commissar.

- Commissars "preseve the fighting spirit" and "reinforce discipline" - note it doesn't say they do this just by executing people.

- Commissars have authority over both the troops and officers.

Page 16
Each Captain has his own Command Unit from which he leads his Company, a formation that will generally range between one and four hundred men. Most of these companies will comprise two to six platoons of infantry, the bakcbone and workhorse of the Imperial Guard. Each Platoon is made up of a Lieutenant and his retinue of veteran Guardsmen. The Lieutenant's Platoon will comprise of between two and six squads of Guardsmen. These sizes are not fixed and in times of war can change drastically, but they serve as examples of the flexibility inherent in the command structure of the Guard.
Platoon and Company sizes in a regiment are not fixed and can vary due to various factors. This is considered a sign of "flexibility." - it also suggests that "company" and "platoon" (as well as regiment) might be largely administrative terms, and that the actual numbers can be varied or restructured according to situations.

going by the "generally" comment, there are between 100 and 400 troops per company. More specifically, it seems like you can have two platoons of two squads (40-50 men) or six platoons of six squads (nearly 400 men), so it apparently can vay even more.

Likewise, the number of companies too can vary. Nevermind that some regiments do use "battalions" as well (like the Jourans in "Storm of Iron".) or the occasional use of divisions (multiple regiments, or possibly armies.)

Page 16-17
Each infantry squad will number ten men and these soldiers will have a variety of weapons available to them, ranging from heavy weapons such as missile launchers, lascannon and heavy bolters, to more specialised and rare weaponry such as plasma guns or meltaguns. An infantry regiment is often supplied with Chimera armoured Fighting Vehicles and the 91st is no exception, with a great many of thes doughty, ever-reliable tanks at its disposal. These tanks allow Colonel Valmaer the option of mounting a number of his squads to provide Armoured Fist units for greater tactical flexibility. In addition, they are used ot transport his command squads that can make good use of the long-range vox-casters they carry.
Squads can have a "variety" of weapons, including heavy weapons or special weapons issued to them. In addition, Chimeras are "often" supplied to Infantry regiments, suggesting that at least partially mechanised troops in a regiment are common place. Chimeras also benefit the command squads due to ther communications capabilities.

Page 17
Each Imperial Guard regiment is split into roughly equal sized companies, usually of at least a hundred Guardsmen each. The number of companies in a regiment varies from two or three to twenty or thirty, depending on a variety of factors, such as when it was raised, the planetary population, casualties it has suffered on active duty, and so on.
Like with the number of squads in a platoon and number of platoons in a company, the number of companies in a regiment is highly variable. Going by the aforementioned 100-400 troops mentioned, you can expect a "regiment" to vary from 100-200 troops (2 companies of 2 platoons of 2 squads, plus command elements) to over 12,000 or more troops (thirty companies of 400 men each.) Or more.

Again, the Jouran Dragoons have 3 batallions and a totla of ~20,000 men. Each batallion could have roughly between 15 and 30 companies depending on numbers, and further break down along other lines.

Page 18

- at its founding, the Cadian 91st had ten companies, each comprising 350 men, for a total size (when including command units, ancillary units of support staff and one non-combatant) of five thousand thirty seven.. The 91st is mentioned to be one of the "smaller" Cadian units. As noted, ,larger cadian units can be 8,000 troops (or possibly more.)

It is also noted that the numbers do not include the drivers, gunners and crews of the various tanks and artillery pieces that accompany the regiment - such units are despatched/deployed "as needed" (again this probably reflects the highly variable nature of the "regiment" such as it is.)

Page 18
The sheer amount of personnel required to keep an Imperial Guard regiment in the field is staggering, and to organise such an effort requires thousands of dedicated Departmento munitorum scriveners and notaries.
This suggests roughly a 1:1 ratio between Guards and "pencil pushers" - again suggesting many billions if not trillions of personnel minimum in the Munitorum.

Page 18
Imperial Guard companies are usually divided into three platoons, each platoon consisting of a command squad and three other squads, which may be either infantry squads or Armoured Fist squads or a combination of both. Each squad (if it does not already have one) may be given its own mechanised transport in the form of a Chimera. In addition, the platoon may include additional units, such as tanks, squads from other reigments - including abhuman regiments - or extra squads from the original regiment. A platoon may include as manyy as three of these additonal units, one for each of its squads.
Further indication of the highly morphic nature of Guard military organizations, depending on circumstancees. They may be alll Armoured fist, all infantry, or a mix. Infantry may be assigned chimeras (or other transporrt) if the situation demands, as well as other assets (like tanks or artillery, or additional squads from other regiments, even extra troops from their own regiment.)

Page 18

- a subscript notation indicates that while "familial connections may secure an individual high office within other regiments, resulting in some officers lacking of combat experience" this does not happen with the Cadian regiments, because of the way they train their men to "fight from birth" and the fact that many Cadian troops have endured military service for many years before their induction into the Guard.

This latter bit applying to the Cadians also seems to apply to sergeants as well, since the subscript described above is linked to the mention of Sergreants below.)

Page 18
Each squad consists of ten Guardsmen, one of whom will be a sergeant. These non-commissioned officers are the glue that binds the Imperial guard and every soldier should take special note of his Sergeant's words, for he will have seen a great deal of active combat.

Two Guardsmen may form a heavy weapons crew, to allow the squad to engage either mutliple targets or enemy armour with a high probability of success. To further specialise, a skilled Guardsman may be equipped with a weapon more advanced than a lasgun, such as a flamer, meltagun, or plasma gun. These weapons are rare and when Gaurdsmen trained to utilise them are killed, every effort should be made to retrieve the weapon intact. Even if the bearer is only wounded, the weapon's retrieval should take first priority.
Again, squads can be assigned heavy weapons if the situation demands, or more sophsticated/powerful weapons like melta or plasma guns if needed.

The bit about the "equipment being a first priority" is amusing to note, because it is a recurring theme in this book. It should also be unsurprising, sincee it is a rather blatant attempt at brainwashing - the Departmento basically considers the equipment more valuable than the person carrying it, so they go to great lengths to get Guardsmen not to modify it, lose it, damage it or whatnot. Basically, its typical bureacratic nonsense. It shall be expanded upon later, but it's worth noting now.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Another munitorum manual update. Nothing too spectacular. We'll see when I can update next.

Page 19
The basic load of an Imperial Guardsman includes his lasgun with six power packs, close combat weapon, Frag grenades, and laspistol. This discounts such equipment as specailised armour (such as the Vitrian reflective armour or personal items- which are discouraged.) but includes basic necessitites such as ration packs for four days, arrticles of toiletry and items required en route ot the battlefield. Altogether, this laod comes to 25 kg and it will be seen that multipled out over the size of the regiment, this basic load comes to over fifty two tons of equipment. And this figure simply represents the equipment required by the Guardsman to move from one location to another and exist.
Indication of the kit for your average guardsmen. not sure how this stacks up to other soldiers, but the "fifty two tons" seems to be for 2000 men. Also note, among other things, the four days of food.

Also note that some items like Vitrian armour, is considered "special" rather than standard-issue.

Page 19
Enough to fire a minimum of 2,000 shots, dependent on power setting
The subscript attached to the "Basic load" of six powerpacks. This works out to roughly 333 shots per powerpack. This is more than the 150 shots mentioned later on, and far more than the "40 shots" or more mentioned in other sources. The obvious implication is that lasguns have variable output settings (whcih we knew from other sourcees, including Storm of Iron) Going by the difference in "shots" we can infer the differencee in power betweemn settings (333 vs 150) is around 2.22 times (or about 2-3x). Using the "forty shots" from the 3rd edition rules (or Inquisitor, which actually can vary between 40 and 60 shots depending onthe weapon) the difference in power is between 3-4x (more like 3-3.75, assuming 40-50 shots.)

A different parallel to derive would be that, given in Inquisitor a Triplex lasgun has 60 shots and three settings (30 shots on the secondary setting and 15 shots on the highest) we can conclude that the power ratings of vaious las-weapons can also differe (IE some are stronger "per shot" than others, but may have fewer shots.) This is analogus to the variety between regular packs and hotshots, or even between different hotshots (the ones good for 20 shots vs the single use ones Abnett invented.)

Page 19

- the "usual" close combat weapon of a IG regiment is noted to be a "lug mounted bayonet", though it also admits taht many regiments faovur more "exotic" blades, emntioning the Mortant VII "headhunters" who utilize a "butcher blade", and the Tanith's "Straight silver" blades.

Page 19
During the 91st's recent acitvity on Cadia, the regiment consumed 400,000 lasgun power packs, 120,000 ration packs, over 3 million gallons of fuel, 13,500 pints of Type O negative and fired enough ordnance to level a continent (estimated.)
Generlaly speakint, it would take alot of ordnance to fuck over a continent (TT level firepower, really.)

Assuming that the regiment has about 100 tanks of various kinds (seems a generous figure) and that they fought for a whole year, and that the shell firing is "per minute", we can estimate the rough yield of the ordnance: this comes to about 53,000,000 minutes worth of fire total (100 tanks over a year) Assuming a continent roughly 1000 km in diameter, each shell would handle roughly 4,716 m^2 area which works out to roughly a 130-140 meter diameter area of effect. In terms of blast pressures and assuming no overlap, this requires around single or double digit tons of TNT to achieve, and assumes one shell fired per minute. It is of course just an esitmate, but as an esitmate, it is quite conservative.

Even if the calc is off quite a bit, the mere fact that a single regiment can expend enough ordnance to cause a destruction level equivalent to teratons is of destruction is truly awesome and horrifying.

Page 20
Maintaining the appropriate nutrition during assault missions is a continuous challenge mainly due to diminished appetites of individuals under stress. Recognising the importance of good nutrition in maintaining physical and mental alertness in Guardsmen, the Deparrtmento Munitorum employs nutritional ration packs designed for shorrt-term, high-stress missions. Experience shows that Guardsmen usually consume about half their nutrients needed, leaving them in a state called negative energy balance. The consequences of being in negative enrgyt balance while under tehse circumstances range from weight loss to fatigue to mental impairments, all of which are punishable offenses.

An individuals physiological and nutritional staus can markedly affect his ability to maximise performance during missions and may compromise effectiveness. With the number of these missions increasing, the optimisation of rations has become a high priority. Any Guardsman neglecting to eat when food is available will be severely punished according to the discretion of the ranking officer.
They taste like shit, but your average Guardsman does seem to be fairly well fed from a nutritional standpoint (good hygiene as well as good food.) Even if human life is considered expendable in the Imperium they do take effort to treat you well.

Page 21

- A starting regiment's intiial equipment comes mainyl from "local soures" such as the planet of raising or a nearby world (like a forge world, presumably.) It is also noted tht a regiment needs "thousands" of items to be considered combat ready.

Page 21
Mass conveyors arrive in-system within a week of the regiment's entry into the Departmento Munitorum Register of Regimental Inception and the conveyance of troops to their transports may now commence once the proper authenticaiton paperwork has been completed in triplicate. Should naval assets prove insufficient to transport the regiment quickly enough, the ranking Departmento Munitorum officer may comamandeer any local ships with the asistance of the regimental Commissar.
Response time for naval troop transports to ferry newly-raised regiments to their destination. In some cases "local ships" are considered a reasonable alterantive. The commandeering bit is interesting, as it seems to imply that finding civilian ships capable of transporting one (or more) regiments suggests that there ought to be millions (tens or hundreds of millions) of transports present in the Imperium, which is consistent with other evidence as addressed elswhee.

Page 21
To facilitate this [continuous supply of key items to the Guard], the Departmento Munitorum has conducted numerous studies of the items most commonly requested by regiments and has created vast stockpiles on heavily guarded Departmento Munitorum supply worlds within the systems of Segmentum Command at Mars, Kar Duniash, Hydraphur, Bakka, and Cypra Mundi. Cadian stockpiles are loctaed on bases that are in close proximity ot Segmentum Obscuras at Hydraphur and Cypra Mundi.
Presumably these supplies include things like rations, flak armour, lasgun powerpacks, grenades, and the like. They are by no means the only sources however (addressed later.) One also presumes these worlds are also where many of the "standing regiments" the D.M. deploys in times of war are initially stationed.

Given that the systems mentioned are also heavily fortified and equipped naval worlds and centers of commerce, the location makes sense (and allows deployment of those resources quite easy.)

Page 23
With wars being fought throughout the galaxy, let alone Segmentum Obscuras, Departmento Munitorum tasking orders come to each of these worlds every day and entire fleets are despatched across the stars to the various regiments, bearing the most commonly required supplies to each sector currently designated as being at war. With the unreliability of some links in the communications chain (caused by lax reporting or errors in warp/time calculations) it is not always possible to guarantee that such supplies will reach their intended recipients with such speed as may be desired.
The implication here being that the supply demands simply from these fortified "supply worlds" require huge numbers of starships. If we take "fleets" to mean a dozen or so vessels, and assume around 100,000 battlezones (a commonly noted number, though it could be less) that,s over a million transporrts at least. With "millions" of regiments, and assuming around 10 regiments per "war zone" - hundreds of thousands or even millions of individual fleets would be needed - millions of ships easily, again.

Page 23
Clearly the idea of supplying individual needs of regiments (or even sub-sectors) at a Segmentum level is impossible, so supplies of arms, ammunition, food, etc. are despatched to sector commands where a further level of refinement is applied and local weighting factors are employed to further break down the supply needs of each of the sector's sub-sectors: factors such as the number and intensity of active war zones, locally available supplies and the backlog of existing supply demands. Thousands upon thousands of scribes and accounting servitors check and recheck each and every supply request htat comes up the chain from planetary level and calculate the best means of meeeting that request. Often this can take some time, as each request's solution must be authorised by three levels of Departmento Munitorum sector command before so much as a single ration is packed.

With estimated supply needs confirmed and authorised, Departtmento Munitorum approved free captains and Navy vessels begin the shipping of material to those sub-sectors designated as recipients. At sub-sector command, a much more reactive system of supply exists, and within this dynamic structure, specific systems may make requrests to the Departmento Munitorum through previously established channels. Such requests will then be passed to sector command and onward to Segmentum command.

Below this level, are individual system and planetary commands, where Departmento Munitorum personnel close to the source of demand will assist in the correct methods for supply requisition and dispersal of material.

A description of the "resource network" the Munitorum employs in handling logistics. Basically its similar to all other aspects of the Imperium, power is delegated to local/regional nodes, branchign down at the sector and subsector levels, allowing for greater responses furthe ru pthe chain should circumstancees demand it. With the same benefit of also curbing the potential for another Horus Heresy.

Page 24

- Equipment and supply requisition. I won't bother quoting any of this, because its not really all that interesting. I will say that, for the most part, its about as complicated and bureaucratic as you expect most of the Imperium to be, inertia and all. It begins with the Munitorum supply officers (and subordiantes) within the regiment monitoring material consumption and requests. After a period of time they begin making "recommendations" based on the pre-established patterns of the regiment, in order to "gain a clearer picture" of the regiment's needs. During this period, the officers/suboridnates will make recommendations to also improve the efficiency of the supply/equipment consumption. Nonetheless, the process is desvribed as 'lengthy, complex, and disadvantageous to the quick supply of a regiment" (though the Munitorum naturally dismisses such objections.)

Of course, given the myriad of sources for supplies and at varying levels, the scrounging abilities of your average Guardsman, and whatnot, this probably ultimately never proves to be a major concern for the most part. And for all its faults, the Munitorum (as noted) does ensure that teh basics are at least met, even if certain special items may be held up.

Page 26

- conduct in dealing with Munitorum officials. all I will say here is that Guardsmen are expected to understand and fill out all the rquisition forms and associated red tape correctly. This again points to a certain measure of literacy and reading comprehension as standard amongst the Guard, perhaps even among the primitive regiments.

Page 28

- On worlds (frotnier worlds I'd guess) whee Imperial presence is "less than complete" the Munitorum considers it neccessary to "Grease the wheels" of local industry to ensure the acqusition of supplies, even though in theory an Imperial planet is required to aid and supply the Guard at need. In other words, bribery is needed. This involves both the transfer of Imperial Credit Units (Imperium money?) to the local Imperial Commander to facilitate the transfer of supplies, as well as payment of local "go betweens" in the native currency. Ironically, the Munitorum expects such expenditures to be closely noted down, because such expenditures are added into said planet's future tithes (by the Imperial Office of Outlays.)

- Page 29

On "established" Imperial worlds, supplies (such as arms, ordnance, and food/water) as "needed" are openly requisitioned and provided - this is considered part of the "duty" of an Imperial Commander to the Imperium as a whole. Such supplies of course, are handled and transfer thorugh the Munitorum. While this probably does not in any way circumvent the bureaucracy, it does provide another (and quicker) outlet for resupply for the Guard, even if it is rather heavy-handed. (Then again, this IS the Imperium, and the protection they provide is probably worth whatever financial losses that it entails.)

In cases where the Guard deploy on planets that consider themselves either outside the Imperium (and presumably not Xenos), or that consider themselves so far from authority that they can refuse requests... they're treated as hostile, and regiments can basically plunder them for whatever they need withotu concern for cost or debt. resisting the requisitioning of the Guard is considered the enemy and treated as such. The senior Deparrtmento Munitorum official holds the final authority as to whether or not a planet is considered "hostile" and there is no revoking or appealing that decision.

It is also noted that due to the great deal of "standardized' technology in any human world (IE good old STC tech), much of the supplies and equipment the Guard may plunder will doubtless be usable by them. This, coupled with the myriad of avenues through which requisitioning and supply can go explains greatly why the institutional inertia of the Munitorum Bureaucracy does not hamper it nearly as much as it ought to. Indeed, its likely that things balancee out in some fashion, as the delays probably allow some measure of "replenishment of whatever a regiment takes in a short term. (Or at the very least, it ensures that any succeessive regiments may have at least something to equip themselves with at a future date.)

Page 30-31

- Acquisition of supplies while on active duty. Basically, see "acquisition fo supplies from world not part of Imperium or hostile to Imperium", which means plundering its resources. The distinction between the two is that in this case the acquisition is done beyond the boundaries of the official supply lines - troops are expected to "live off the land" as it were. This is most common in exploratory or expeditionary fleets (The Departtmento Munitorum Pioneer Corps, I believe it's called.) Like before, the great liklihood of running across "Imperium stnadard" technology means that any human-populated world in the Imperium or out is likely to have supplies that the Guard can use.

It is worth noting that the Manual does make it clear that the Regiments are not to over-strip a planet of supplies unless absolutely neccesarry. The chief reason for this is to help lessen the activities or creation of insurgents by depriving them of those resources neccessary for their life (and if you must, ,eliminate any potential troublemakers or leader-figures befoe you do.) Another reason to avoid this is that there is always the possibility that a world encountered may be deliberately and willingly converted to the Imperial Cause (through the actions of the Missionari Glaxia which usually would accompany any expedition fleet.), which allows the acquisition of supplies via negotiation.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

YEt another 40K update prior ot the new year...

Page 34
Every world in the Imperium supplies the armies of the Emperor with men, but only a handful have the means and wherewithal to supply those armies with weapons, tanks, and specialised equipment. A million worlds suppply a million men and to be a Guardsman in such times is to live in an age of war, where worlds burn and armies of billions march into the fire of battle every day. Thus it is an inescapable conclusion that while men of flesh and blood are plentiful, arms and equipment are not.

Though the Adeptus Mechanicus strives daily to meet the burdeden of requirements laid upon it by the Imperial Guard, Adeptus Astartes, Adeptus Sororitas, Imperial Navy, and countless other organs of the Imerial Will, it is a fact of life that such demands cannot always be met. And though the quest for knowledge goes on, much of the technology that was once common in the early days of the Imperium is now lost to us. The armiues of the Imperium march to war upon the bones of ancient technology and as such it is more precious than any one man could ever be, whether he is the lowliest Whiteshield or highest Warmaster.
While there is a certain element of truth to this, I can't help but think the Munitorum is deliberately overdoing the whole "people are less important than machines." Its almost parody-like in the way alot of the propoganda passages in the Uplifting Primer was. In theory the idea of conservation makes sense, but in practice its quite obvious that few if anyone ever practices the idea that equipment is more important than men (the Guard doesn't, the Space Marines don't, etc.) The Imperium and its members have shown phenomenal means of scavenging or rebuilding even scarce technology, or adapting it/cannibalizing it into other purposes (warships are a prime example of how munitorum policy isn't followed, despite the fact that starships are among the hardest things to replace.)

In the end, its quite obvious that this is largely Munitorum propoganda desigend to make their jobs simpler at the expense of other people's life and well being.

Page 35
Thus, while men may be replaced, technology, once lost, may be gone forever and thus it is of the greatest importance that every Guardsman's equipment be maintained and recovered. Some equipment, such as lasguns, may be replaced if lost or damaged, but more specialized equipment, such as vox-casters, plasma guns, and meltaguns must be recovered from the dead at all costs.Though it is often hard for the average Guardsman to accept, his life is less important than the technology he carries with him into battle. It is the duty of every officer of the Guard to impress upon his Guardsmen that, when given the choice of saving a comrade or rescuing a piece of fallen equipment, they must choose to save the equipment.
Again, I'm inclined to call bullshit. This is the same Imperium that can allow Hive-world Gangsters access to the equivlaent of .50 calibre machine guns, ,grernade launchers, as well as plasma and melta weapons and the like. Given the plentitude of shit you an find on most hive worlds or even civilised worlds, I find it hard to believe the technologies they describe are "irreplaceable".

Hell, I've heard of power armour (and Terminator armour) being "irreplacablae", yet enough losses do occur in various chapters and whatnot that replacements HAVE to be built or salvaged simply to maintain numbers.

Page 35

- The rest of this chapter is basically dire warnings and stirctures forbidding the modification, alteration, or adaptation of equipment in any way, sahpe, or form. Supposeldy there are "numerous" cases when doing such "unauthorized" modifications caused a trooper (or his squad/regiment) to suffer. It is also likely that equipment given to one guardsman was salvaged from another, and modifications are s upposed to be a nasty surprise to that new guy if he doesnt know about them. Again, this sounds more like Munitorum BS propoganda, given that we've seen custom modifications employed on gear on more than one occasion.

Further, it is noted that it is "Statistically likely" for a guardsman to die within the first six months of his recruitment. Rather longer than the "fifteen hours" assigned to the novel of the same name :P

Page 35

- anecdotal story of a Guard regiment that modified their lasgun powerpacks to heat their bivouacs against the freezing storms outside. Deprived them of a substantial bit of ammo when attacked, but it does suggest interesting survival methods and the sheer adaptability of Guard equipment.

Page 36
Mondax prime is a barren, deserrt world on the southern reaches of Segmentum Solar, a world that would be of little importance were it not for the vast Promethium deposits lying below the surface of its mountains. Much of what is on Mondax Prime is shipped to the hive world of Armageddon for refining into weapons grade material.

... a Salvar weapon misfired and the resultant explosion ignited Promethium fumes and sent a rushing wall of fire ripping down into the deposits beneath the mountains. The entire mountain range was obliterated in a sheet of fire and what was once a mountain range is now a huge, continent-spanning gorge. All this from one misfiring lasgun power pack...
This is another slippery-slope BS Propaganda Munitorum anecdote. The only thing interesting is this "continent-spanning" gorge evokes memories of the promethium fireball triggered in "Caves of Ice" No way to reliably calc it though without knowinghow much promethium is there.

Page 40
Any soldier who, through neglect or deliberate malfeasance, allows the power packs of his weapon to drain to a level where there is less than 50% charge (at time of mesurement, not offence) at any time prior to a combat action will be flogged.
Guardsmen are expected to keep lasgun powerpacks at least half charged at all times.

Page 41
Each soldier shall carry about his person, or have stowed in his billet, enough ammunition to fire not less than 500 shots from his primary lasgun.
Assuming between 4-6 power packs astandard (depending on uplifting primer or munitorum manaul as source) this suggests between 80 and 125 shots per pack minimum.

If we couple this with the "no less than 50% power" estimate above, we can double the figure to between 160 and 250 shots per pack.

Page 41
Any soldier who finds himself unable to prosecute the foe with ballistic, laser, or plasma weapons shall, upon return to base, be incarcerated for not less than sixty days. He shall then be found guilty of Failing to Maintain Adequate Supplies of Ammunition.
Here its implied that plasma weapons not only can have similar ammo capacities (within a magnitude I imagine for lasguns) to lasguns or autoweapons/projectile weapons, but are not exactly rare/uncommon weapons amongst the guards (at least as a support weapon.) At least more common than melta weapons seem to be (then again plasma weapons seem less bulky than meltaguns as a rule, and plasma pistols are far more common than inferno pistols.)

Page 41
Any soldier who employs the sacred battle gear of the Deparrtmento Munitorum to commit (or attempt to commit) suicide will be shot, have his name stricken from the regimental roll of honour, his ashes vaporised and his next of kin invoiced fro the cost of his expended kit.
I can't help it. This particular bit of propoganda fluff is so funny I had to post it, even if it has very little technical value.

Page 41
Any soldier who fails to utilise his weapons or equipment in its primary purpose of discomfiting the enemy - either through misuse or personal use - will be stripped of that weapon and sent into battle without it then found guilty of "Failing to Carry a Weapon at all Times."

Page 42
Any soldier caught ustilising his anti-contaminant tablets in the production of illicit alcohol from engine fuel of fyceline blocks shall be forced to drink the entirety of the liquor produced. If he survives, he will be shot.
Fyceline as we know from some of hte novels (like the ghsots novels) as well as the 4th edition Guard codex, is a prime component in the manufacture of Guard explosives. Here, it also seems to be used as a engine fuel of some kind. The use as an engine fuel as well as making alcohol implies that Fyceline has a rather high energy density - far higher than real life explosives do.

For comparison, note that methanol has an energy density of ~20 MJ/kg, wheras Ethanol has an energy density of around 25-30 MJ.

By comparison Gasoline has an energy density of around 45 MJ/kg. Diesel is about there, though some sources suggest it might be as high as 60 MJ/kg or more.

By extension, this can suggest that Guard explosives (as suggested by other sourcese) are at least several times moe powerful than their modern equivalents.

Page 45
To serve the Emperor, a guardsman must not only be able to kill the enemy, but he must be able to survive long enough to do so. He must eat, sleep, dig trenches, survive gas and chemical attack, administer first aid, find his way to the battle and fight at tne end of it all with weapons and armour that allow him to win it.
In other words, a Guardsman seems to be the ultimate generalist (well most guardsmen.)

Page 45
Though certain soldiers are signled out for particular duties on special weapons or as part of a heavy wepaons team, it behoves each soldier to familiarise himself with their duties, for combat attirtion is certain to take its toll on squad members. Each soldier should learn the duties and responsibilities of each man senior to him and teach his own duties ot the man below him in the chain of command. In this way, Imperial Guard infantry squads need never fear that the death of its squad members is reducing its combat effectiveness.
Again, a guardsman is considered to be quite a generalist (he/she is expected to do a little bit of everything, even though in a regiment/company/platoon/squad you can still have specialized troops like medics, vox operators, and heavy weapons crews.)
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Any soldier who employs the sacred battle gear of the Deparrtmento Munitorum to commit (or attempt to commit) suicide will be shot, have his name stricken from the regimental roll of honour, his ashes vaporised and his next of kin invoiced for the cost of his expended kit.
Any soldier who fails to utilise his weapons or equipment in its primary purpose of discomfiting the enemy - either through misuse or personal use - will be stripped of that weapon and sent into battle without it then found guilty of "Failing to Carry a Weapon at all Times."
Any soldier caught ustilising his anti-contaminant tablets in the production of illicit alcohol from engine fuel of fyceline blocks shall be forced to drink the entirety of the liquor produced. If he survives, he will be shot.
Those three are awesome. I always like to see the darkly humourous side in 40k come to the fore. If he survives, he will will be shot, indeed. :D
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Page 46
The Combat Ration Pack is a totally self-contained operational ration consisting of a full meal packed in a flexible meal bag. The full bag is lightweight and fits easily into the pockets of a Guardsman's uniform or combat webbing. Each meal bag contains a nutrient-rich compound as well as foods designed to enhance the energy levels and stamina of a Guardsman.

Each CRP meal bag provides enough chemically enhanced stimulants to sustain a Guardsman through most combat operations and can be eaten directly from the pack, though some types include a flameless heater to cook with when on manoeuvres in enemyy territory or in situations where exposing the squad's position is inadvisable. Where such things are not a concern, each pack may be broken open and its individual elements heated by immersion in hot water.

Note: It is advisable for each regiment to attempt to stick closely to a supply line of CRPs manufactured close to its homeworld, as there have been instancecs where regiments have fallen foul of foodstuffs from other systems that have caused widespread vomiting and diarroea due to the unfamiliar richness of the nutirent paste used in its production.
description of guard food rations. They're healthy, but shitty tasting. Still, ,probably this means they're better fed/taken care of than alot of troops.

Note that despite standardization, rations are sufficiently varied from world to world that some rations are dangerous for other guardsmen.

Page 46
The most common cooking implements issued are hexamine sstoves, whcih are pocket-sized, foldable, solid fuel metal stoves that use blocks of hexamine for fuel. These stoves can be used to heat up water for mugs of caffeine or to warm up stews of nutrient paste. Some are also fitted with adapters to hold a metal canteen or cup. Each stove comes with eight fuel tablets in a waxed box and the standard issue is one cooker evey three days, ,but with fuel refills every day. Despite complaints that the fuel is toxic, smells appalling and the waxy tablet is very difficult to light, many a Guardsman has been thankful for its smell on a cold morning.

In some instances it is inadvisable for Guardsmen to cook food on a device that emits heat and flames, such as long-range patrols or operations behind enemy lines. For such eventualities, Guardsmen may sometimes be issued with flameless ration heaters; water-activated heaters designed to heat a Guardsman's CRP. A flameless ration heater is small in size and weight, easily fitting within a Guardsman's combat webbing. Each heater is packaged in a sturdy, leak-proof bag that serves as the heating container for the CRP. To use the heater, the Guardsman simply cuts open the top of the bag's sleeve and places the food portion inside the bag next to the heater. With the addition of water, a chemical reaction begins and within fifteen minutes, the Guardsman may enjoy a hot meal.
- Description of cooking and camp implements. The munitorum does seem interested in supplying heat (and a warm meal) to Guardsmen.

Page 47
Some Guard-issue magnoculars are compact and lightweight, but most are bulky and heavy, though the wealth of information that can be gathered with them more than offsets this minor disadvantage. Magnoculars offer high light transmission and optical performance, enabling a Guardsman to view objects a great distance away and once calibrated for the user's eye by a tech-priest of the Adeptus Mechanicus, magnoculars keep all objects in focus from twenty metres, with no need for adjustment for varying distances. Magnoculars are rubber armoured, shockproof and waterpoof and can withstand even the harshest battlefield conditions. Guardsmen with optical implants may have such devices fitted to their ocular hardware, but this often makes the requisitioning of specialised helmets a necessity.
Descriptioon of Guard Binocs. By the sound of it, they sounda t least partly electronic given the need for tech-priest calibration.

Also interesting is the note of "optical implants" which can also serve a similar function.

Page 47
The standard issue Imperial Guard micro-vox bead system is a lightweight vox system that allows commanders to communicate with their men while leaving their hands free to hold a lasgun or other item of kit. Such rare pieces of kit are generally only distributed to small, elite units that require stealth and cunning within earshot of the enemy.

.. each set is fitted with a vox bead that attaches to the throat in order for it to pick up the vibrations of the larynx to translate sub-vocal inflections into speech in the receiving bead.

Utilising vibrations in the bone - receiving vox-traffic is then transmitted directly into the ear canal - the vox-bead affords the squad leader the operational advantage of having no speakers over the ears with which his squad's position could be given away. This allows 360 degree of unobstructed, natural hearing of ambient auditory sounds.
Description of Guard issue micro-bead comms. Note the "subvocal" capabilities as well as the listening capability. They also manage not to "obstruct hearing" - although not all micro beads may do this (some examples I believe from novels do have speakers/ear buds.) However, note that micro beads, despite what is said, do not seem all that uncommon. The Cadians use them, the Tallarn, the Valhallans, the Vostroyans... even that agri-wold regiment group in Fifteen Hours had them. (And of course many regiments in the Ghosts and Cain novels do.) One does presume that, aside from varying quality in micro-beads, that only fairly sophisticated worlds get them (as the 4th edition codex states.) Most feral or feudal world regiments, and perhaps a number of ganger regiments (from say hives) don't.

The text also notes that the micro beads are compatible with rebreathers to allow vox comms in adverse conditions.

Page 48
the use of a Cadian Pattern (Aquila) helmet offers the best protection from exploding shrapnel and fragmentation. Older helmets (utilising technology still sought for by the Adeptus Mechanicus) are blessed with good non-ballistic protective qualities that may be caused by concussive shockwaves from explosions. Most, however, do not.

Helmets protect the Guardsman’s head through a mechanical energy absorption process and, therefore, their structure and protective capacity are altered in high-energy impacts. The Cadian pattern helmet weighs just over two kilograms and has an ideal distribution of mass over the head centreline, meaning there is a minimum moment of inertia, and no lag following rapid head movements. Each helmet has an integrated outer shell and suspension system to provide a stable, snug fit and has an adjustable standard two-point suspension system and headband.
Description of Guard helmets, and a brief mention of their protective properties, which supplements what we learned from the uplifting primer.

Page 48
Rebreathers form a sealed cover over the nose andmouth, though some variants (notably those employed by the so-called ‘Death Korps of Kreig’) also cover the eyes and other vulnerable soft tissues of the face. Airborne toxic materials may be gaseous or particulate (such as biological poisons employed by the Tyranid menace). Many gas masks include protection from both types. Some rebreathers require theGuardsman to carry an air supply, but these are bulky and comparatively rare, and thus most rebreathers operate by removing the toxins from the air before passing the clean air to the Guardsman.
Note the variations in rebreathers. Some merely filter out harmful partticles from existing air, but others actually provide their own self-contained oxygen supply. (One such example of the latter is probably drop commando regiments like the Elysians.)

Page 49
However, there are certain weapon types that depend on even greater degrees of accuracy than that displayed by most competent Guardsmen or which employ ordnance of such rarity that every effort must be made to ensure an on-target shot. Targeters are precision instruments fitted to some weapons that greatly enhance the likelihood of a killshot by emitting an invisible, infrared energy pulse to the target, which is interpreted by the logic-engine and high-speed clock fitted within to calculate the time taken by the each pulse to travel from the targeter to the enemy and back almost instantaneously.

The ranging accuracy of most targeters is +/- two metres under most circumstances, though battlefield acoustics and high ambient noise may increase this. The maximum range of a targeter depends on the reflectivity of the target and the environmental conditions at the time of firing. In addition, the colour, surface finish, size and shape of the target all affect reflectivity and range. Guardsmen employing a targeter should always attempt to shoot a target at a 90° angle (where the target surface is perpendicular to the flight path of the incoming shot) as this is more likely to provide a more accurate range while a steep angle limits the usability of the ranging information.

To employ a targeter, depress the activation rune once to activate the display system while aiming the device at a target at least twenty metres away. Hold down the activation rune and recite the opening lines of the Marksman’s Prayer until the range to the target is displayed. Then take the shot and slay the enemy.
Description of targeters. Basically sounds like some sort of laser sighting system. Perhaps a bit more sophisticaed than that (but not in the same way as infrasights and monosights are.)

Page 50

- combat webbing harness for carrying essentials (spare lasgun power packs, grenades, food, water, cleaning kits and other stuff.) The front has pouches while the inside has mesh that forms a map pocket and extra space for 2 more lasgun powerpacks, as well as hooks for grenades and other tools. The webbing "distributes the wieght" of the kit around the body without degrrading combat ability. Some Guardsmen modify the webbing, but the munitorum (naturally)f rowns on this illegal tampering.

Guard webbing.

Page 51
Imperial Guardsmen in specialised units are equipped with a personal vox transmitter that allows infantry squads to communicate over short distances, even through thick cover or the walls of buildings without raising their voices, easily misunderstood hands ignals, or inefficient message relaying.

The standard pattern of personal vox weighs close to three kilogrgams and has a range of around two hundred metres. The power pack weighs an additional kilogram and has a life expectancy of between ten and twenty hours dependent uon use and age of th epack. Some models of personal vox have encryption capabilities, but this is often disabled as the number of different units operating within a standard vox-capture net means that siganls can often become garbled or unintelligible by those who need to hear it.
The apparent alternative to micro-beads which some regiments use. This would seem to be akin to what Guardsman Hawke had in "Storm of Iron", although the range is probably shorter (Hawke was communicating from/over mountains to the main fort, and it took him days to cover at least some 8 km or more, neverminding the elevation of the mountains, interference, and whatnot. Obviously, like with vox-beads, these can vary in performance.

Its also noted that an artillery commander, ,because he did not recognize a signal for a fire supporrt position, bombarded the source of the vox transmission, which suggests that they can be tracked. Which corresponds with the data-transmission abilities Hawke's comm displays in Storm of Iron (discussed separately.)

Page 52
Platoon should have at least one Guardsman designated as a medic and who is equipped with a medi pack.
A regiment is expected to have at "least" one Medically trainged guardmsan per platoon, which may or may not include dedicated surgeons (like the Tanith have.) Though some regiments (again like Fifteen hours) seem to have Guardsmen who have at least some measure of training and come equipped with medipacks as standard.

Page 52
Each kit contains sterilised gloves, rolls of surgical tape, a number of compress gauzes, trauma dressings, combat tourniquets and an airway intubator.
Medi pack contents (may not be a comprehensive list.)

Page 52
It takes a soldier of grreat courage to use such a weapon, for its blast radius, lethality, and imprecision often means it is as dangerous to the wielder as it is to the enemy.

A demo charge is primarily designated as an antipersonnel weapon, though the power of the explosives contained within are capable of damaging even the heaviest of tanks.

A demo chargge weighs almost two kilograms and, once activated, is detonated upon impact with a target of sufficient mass (or impact with the ground.)

When it explodes, the demo charge delivers its explosive payload in a spherical pattern, with the optimum effecitve range (The range at which the most desirable balance is achieved between lethality and area coverage) being in the region of twenty metres.
Guard demo charges have blast radius is greater than the throw distance of any guardsman. The demo charges are designated antipersonnel, though they are rated as powerful enough to damage the heaviest of tanks.

In Imperial Armour 4, a demo charge shown is mentioned as being 9 kg, which is lighter than this one, but the IA4 one is a shaped charge for busting up buidlings and whatnot.

Most modern (US) hand grenades have a lethal radius of 5 meters (fragmentation grenades) and 2 meters (concussion grenades.) Depending on whether the twnety meter range is radius or diameter, the difference in effectiveness may be between 4 times (Fragmentation) and 25 times (concussion) more powerful if it's a 20 meter diameter, and 16 and 100x (frag and concussion respectively) if 20 meters is a radius.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Hrm...those flameless heaters are basically identical to the standard flameless heaters found in modern MREs :P
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Hrm...those flameless heaters are basically identical to the standard flameless heaters found in modern MREs :P
Yeah, both the heating pouch and the hexamine stove are in use today.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Hrm...those flameless heaters are basically identical to the standard flameless heaters found in modern MREs :P
Yeah, both the heating pouch and the hexamine stove are in use today.
I'm not sure what to think about the blatent copying of modern stuff that GW have done with the various manuals and primers, although "shove it up your arses Doctrine wankers" comes to mind more often than "idle bastards".

That said, its better than them just making random shit up I suppose.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

white_rabbit wrote:
I'm not sure what to think about the blatent copying of modern stuff that GW have done with the various manuals and primers, although "shove it up your arses Doctrine wankers" comes to mind more often than "idle bastards".

I don't mind this case so much. Both of these pieces of kit work well and there's no reason why they couldn't still be in use in the future, the KISS principle. What I do object to is the blatent plagarism, like the TOW missile write up that made it's way into a book.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Annatar Giftbringer
Youngling

Post by Annatar Giftbringer »

Connor MacLeod wrote: Page 50

- combat webbing harness for carrying essentials (spare lasgun power packs, grenades, food, water, cleaning kits and other stuff.) The front has pouches while the inside has mesh that forms a map pocket and extra space for 2 more lasgun powerpacks, as well as hooks for grenades and other tools. The webbing "distributes the wieght" of the kit around the body without degrrading combat ability. Some Guardsmen modify the webbing, but the munitorum (naturally)f rowns on this illegal tampering.

Guard webbing.
Was there a picture provided for the webbing? Unless I read it wrong, the description here sounds more like a 'Tactical Loadbearing Vest' than the belt-and-bracers/suspenders based webbing on the current 40k Cadian models. Unless the mesh inside with pockets for maps and extra ammo refers to either the uniform jacket, or the flak vest, but does either of those count as part of the webbing system?

(Not that it really matters either way, I'm just curious)
Ash nazg durbatulûk,
Ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk
Agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Annatar Giftbringer wrote: Was there a picture provided for the webbing? Unless I read it wrong, the description here sounds more like a 'Tactical Loadbearing Vest' than the belt-and-bracers/suspenders based webbing on the current 40k Cadian models. Unless the mesh inside with pockets for maps and extra ammo refers to either the uniform jacket, or the flak vest, but does either of those count as part of the webbing system?

YEah, but I dont have a scanner currently at hand to scan it.
Its something along the lines of this

Basically its a belt, with suspender-like shoulder straps and some horizontal straps across the backs and fronts IIRC.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

white_rabbit wrote:I'm not sure what to think about the blatent copying of modern stuff that GW have done with the various manuals and primers, although "shove it up your arses Doctrine wankers" comes to mind more often than "idle bastards".

But but but... sophisticated sensors and personal communicators are so NAPOLEONIC! They use Human wave tacitcs. HUMAN WAVE TACTICS!
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Cpl Kendall wrote: I don't mind this case so much. Both of these pieces of kit work well and there's no reason why they couldn't still be in use in the future, the KISS principle. What I do object to is the blatent plagarism, like the TOW missile write up that made it's way into a book.
Technically it didnt make it into a "book", it was cut and later added as free online content. And even then they somehow screewd up/ modified the comparison. I remember we discussed that separately.
Annatar Giftbringer
Youngling

Connor MacLeod wrote:
Annatar Giftbringer wrote: Was there a picture provided for the webbing? Unless I read it wrong, the description here sounds more like a 'Tactical Loadbearing Vest' than the belt-and-bracers/suspenders based webbing on the current 40k Cadian models. Unless the mesh inside with pockets for maps and extra ammo refers to either the uniform jacket, or the flak vest, but does either of those count as part of the webbing system?

YEah, but I dont have a scanner currently at hand to scan it.
Its something along the lines of this

Basically its a belt, with suspender-like shoulder straps and some horizontal straps across the backs and fronts IIRC.
That picture looks like the kind that's modelled on the current Cadian range, which makes sense since since every source puts the Cadian regiments and their equipment as standard, and many other regiments copying them.

I was a bit confused by the piece of text talking about the mesh inside with map pockets and extra ammo pouches, since this model is basically a belt with attached pouches, but I guess the mesh inside could refer to either the flak vest or the uniform jacket, with the vest being the most likely, since it is on top of all the other layers and thus easy to reach, while the jacket i underneath both the flak vest and the webbing
Ash nazg durbatulûk,
Ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

I'm wondering some things about the flak vest as well.
In some sources the flak vest is described as just being padded layers, not unlike the flak vests used by the U.S. military in the 60s era. However, visually the Cadian flak vests definitely look like they're composed of hard alloy or composite plates.

I know game mechanics don't count, especially not the simplified tabletop wargame (as opposed to, say, Inquisitor or the new RPG), but Guardsmen have a 5+ armor save rather than a 6+, which also seems to indicate that they'd be pretty effective at stopping shots.
Since the armor save is a combination of the armor's resistance as well as its coverage over the body, since it only covers the upper torso, they'd have to be pretty tough to warrant a 5+.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Cykeisme wrote: I know game mechanics don't count, especially not the simplified tabletop wargame (as opposed to, say, Inquisitor or the new RPG), but Guardsmen have a 5+ armor save rather than a 6+, which also seems to indicate that they'd be pretty effective at stopping shots.
Since the armor save is a combination of the armor's resistance as well as its coverage over the body, since it only covers the upper torso, they'd have to be pretty tough to warrant a 5+.
The Uplifting Primer describes IG Flak armour that covers most of the body and is comprised of multiple layers of advanced protective materials. Areas (like the chest in Cadian pattern armour) can be reinforced further with hard armour inserts.

The RPG distinguishes between various different grades and types of Flak armour, with standard issue IG full body armour being the most effective type.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Ah, okay.. so the entire visible uniform on the Cadian Guardsmen models are a flak suit, and the green plates over their upper torso are an additional hard armor jacket.

Carapace armor, then, has the entire infantryman covered in hard plates?
I imagine this would be not too unlike Star Wars Imperial Stormtroopers, which is notable because Warhammer 40k Imerial Storm Troopers wear such armor :D
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Annatar Giftbringer
Youngling

Cykeisme wrote:Ah, okay.. so the entire visible uniform on the Cadian Guardsmen models are a flak suit, and the green plates over their upper torso are an additional hard armor jacket.

Carapace armor, then, has the entire infantryman covered in hard plates?
I imagine this would be not too unlike Star Wars Imperial Stormtroopers, which is notable because Warhammer 40k Imerial Storm Troopers wear such armor :D
Personally I can see two possibilities:

1) As you say, IG fatigues are 'slightly bulletproof', in accordance with the Primer, and in game terms probably offers a 6+ save, and the visible armour parts, i e the vest and shoulder plates, are reinforced armour plates, 4+ save, and since regular infantry har a mix of both they get a 5+ save in-game, and the stormtroopers, who wear armour plates over most of their body get a 4+ save all-over. Going by visual indicators only, the armour of stormtroopers and regular soldiers looks like the same kind, the only difference being that stormtroopers get armour all-round and regular troopers only get enough parts to cover the most critical parts.

2) The Primer is wrong, IG troopes do not wear flak armour on most of the body, and despite the visual similarities storm troopers vests are made of completely different materials.

I kinda like #1, the fabric of Guard fatigues being made of bullet-resistant materials, and the vests accually being quite good at stopping small arms fire.
Ash nazg durbatulûk,
Ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Guard armour and uniforms have considerable variation. The Cadian pattern is quite good, other regiments might have to make due with inferior or lighter armour. Gaunt's Ghosts, for example, tend to wear lighter flak jackets but have those nifty Cameoline capes that helps them in their stealth regiment roll.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Yeah, that's the cool thing about the Guard. Disparate worlds fielding military units have variation in the kit, despite standardization of certain aspects.
In this case, we're referring to Cadian equipment, both for rank-and-file Guardsmen as well as storm troopers, because the models represent these guys.
Annatar Giftbringer makes sense about the armor, even if we're dealing game mechanics abstractions.

However, by the way, Overlord, what does Cameoline do exactly?

Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

The kind of flak (or body armour for that matteR) as well as any particular usage of it generally depends on the regiment and enviroment. The Catachans for eample are issued with some flak (jackets at least) but rarely wear it or wear only part of it (to protect the body) - some do without helmets. Alot of other jungle fighter regiments (like the Armageddon Ork Hunters) do so similarily.

Skirmishes will sometimes wear armour of varying types, but it varies according to role. In the earlier Ghosts novels their flak is much lighter and flexible - it allows for greater stealth and mobility. In later books (like Only in Death) they also add or utilize "hard shell" components to the armour (the "inserts" mentioned in the Primer.) which gives them added protection.

Medium and heavy regiments tend to utilize much heavier, full body armor. Heavy regiments in partticular will use a very heavy or fully body flak or mesh (Vitrians are an example) and many often use at least partial if not full carapace (especially Grenadier regiments or assault regiments - the Balurians, Jantine, Volpone, and Terrax Guard are all examples.) The same is true of many "Drop Troop" regiments, using hard-shell flak or carapace (I believe the third uplifting primer highlights the Elysian armour in this regard.) As IO notes, it can vary in construction and protective quality and coverage depending on Regiment and world of origin (at least in some degree.)

Also, for most regiments the clothing and body armour are rahter distinct things. In some regiments the greatcoats may or may not have some protective qualities, but some (such as the Valhallan 597th in the Cain novels) wear flak (or in Cain's case, carapace) independent of their greatcoats.
Annatar Giftbringer
Youngling

Connor MacLeod wrote:The kind of flak (or body armour for that matteR) as well as any particular usage of it generally depends on the regiment and enviroment. The Catachans for eample are issued with some flak (jackets at least) but rarely wear it or wear only part of it (to protect the body) - some do without helmets. Alot of other jungle fighter regiments (like the Armageddon Ork Hunters) do so similarily.

Skirmishes will sometimes wear armour of varying types, but it varies according to role. In the earlier Ghosts novels their flak is much lighter and flexible - it allows for greater stealth and mobility. In later books (like Only in Death) they also add or utilize "hard shell" components to the armour (the "inserts" mentioned in the Primer.) which gives them added protection.

Medium and heavy regiments tend to utilize much heavier, full body armor. Heavy regiments in partticular will use a very heavy or fully body flak or mesh (Vitrians are an example) and many often use at least partial if not full carapace (especially Grenadier regiments or assault regiments - the Balurians, Jantine, Volpone, and Terrax Guard are all examples.) The same is true of many "Drop Troop" regiments, using hard-shell flak or carapace (I believe the third uplifting primer highlights the Elysian armour in this regard.) As IO notes, it can vary in construction and protective quality and coverage depending on Regiment and world of origin (at least in some degree.)

Also, for most regiments the clothing and body armour are rahter distinct things. In some regiments the greatcoats may or may not have some protective qualities, but some (such as the Valhallan 597th in the Cain novels) wear flak (or in Cain's case, carapace) independent of their greatcoats.
I'm not arguing that clothing and armour are the same, I'm just suggesting that perhaps the fatigues have some protective properties, but the external armour plates - mainly helmet, vest, shoulder plates and possibly leg gaiters - provide the actual weapon-stopping protection, not entirely unlike the body-gloves of the Adeptus Arbites. IIRC it provides some protection from small-arms fire and close combat weapons, but they wear carapace armour on top of this, to maximize protection.

Or, the Primer's reason for calling it a full-body flak armour is because it does cover most of the body, if only partially. I mean, the gaiters are leg cover, shoulder plates cover arms, the vest takes care of the abdomen, adn the helmet covers the head. Yes, most of the body parts are very poorly protected, but there is armour on every location, at least enough of it to mention it in propaganda, since it sounds better to say full-body than 'bits and pieces here and there'.
Ash nazg durbatulûk,
Ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk