STGOD 2k8 Planning thread

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Okay, here's a rough draft of the sort of map we could use, with a couple of example empires thrown in, based on the ones I knew where either former Imperial client states or outsiders. Ignore the colours, I'm going with yellowing the hex and black text for all of them in the final draft.

Anyway, the number generation system I'm using is:

1d4 to determine the quadrant, using the Cartesian method for naming them as the guide (ie 1 = I, 2 = II, 3=III, 4=IV, simple enough)

Successor States:
1d6 along x
1d6 along y

Outsiders:
6+1d6 along x (this can be reduced to 6+1d4 if more compact play is desired)
6+1d4 along y

If 3-D were requested, then I would change it to:

1d8 for the 3-D octant

Successor States:
1d6 along x
1d6 along y
1d6 along z

Outsiders:
6+1d6 along x
6+1d4 along y
6+1d6 along z

And then I would simply write in the z adjustment with the nation's name.

The coloured in hexes represent the location of your capital world, and you can request to expand your territory, however you actually have to hold worlds in ajacent hexes for that to count. Each hex represents approximately 1 day's travel with a standard FTL system. A more detailed map can be generated later (or everyone can come up with their own internal maps along an hour's travel scale), but this would let us know where everyone is in relation to each other so we can begin plotting and scheming.

If this method is acceptable, then anyone not on there just tell me your nation's name and whether it is a successor state or an outsider of some sort.
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

I have the Imperial Territory of Moloch, and if I could so request, could I be placed very near the sol system, as it would better match my fluff as an extremely old imperial territory to be closer to the heart. Just outside the general Enclave Warpath would be nice though :lol:
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

I require between two and four hexes one hex displaced(so a gap hex between them) from the initial marker (which represents Pyre i assume) to represent the conquered province of Makai.

Yes, i have human vassals now, they have 1/4 of my fleet and 3/4 of my industry so i can just tell this isnt going to end well. Then again people dont know about what averages out as half of my fleet and industry so *evil*
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Wow I love it, I like exactly where I am place, I just can't wait to see where everyone else lands. Alas, it looks I shall have no direct contact with the Koinage, though perhaps that sin't a bad thing?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Okay, so Darkevilme, you want a large chunk of territory closer to human space, but not connected to your intitial starting position. Fair enough, although remember that this is going to make defence an absolute bitch as you have to have a world in each hex to "claim" it and each hex is approximately 1 day's travel, so things will get ugly right quick.

Dark Hellion, I think I can fudge the rolls a bit to move you closer to Sol. I already fudged Crossroads because the original roll put him practically right next door to Sol, which didn't seem to jive with his fluff.

And direct contact with the Konige is a good thing if you like to party and just let the tour roll through. We promise to leave all worlds in our path mostly liveable, if somewhat more radioactive and strewn with debris than when we arrived.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

I actually wouldn't mind being placed in line between Konige and Sol. It would let me do some very characterful RPing, and there is a pretty big empty spot to the East SouthEast of Sol that I could fill.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Stick my blip somewhere convenient--I don't mind if I'm not far from sol, my worlds could have been obliterated by an earlier expansion phase than the modern era. I'm going to be an outsider, but my species is already post-exterminatus, so I presume I may be closer to the interior than most 'active' outsiders.
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

How's (3, -2) sound to you? Cause those are the results of my dice roll. I can move you further in if you want, but otherwise that sounds about like what you want.

And Covenant, I am, I'm just making concessions to fluff and to keep from overcrowding any particular quadrant. For example, I did a roll for you and the quadrant was 2, but that one already has a bunch of groups in it, so I tipped the dice over to read 1 because that's a lonely area. (4,2) would be your location now (you're a successor state, right?). When I know more this will probably happen less as it will even out, and I can completely re-randomize it if I make a hash of things. I kept the map without numbering clean as a seperate file just in case something stupid happened.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Please put the Corona Stars Commonwealth somewhere near the border of the old Empire. Something like 0,8
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

I was planning for the Enclave to have settled around Sol itself, if that's alright. They're still pulling ships from the wreckage there, as I had it.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

That's actually outside the border Hawkwings, which is in a roughly 6 hex radius out from Sol, which is why all the outsider nations get +6 to all their rolls. Are you playing a barbarian nation?

And yeah, I didn't know how you were going to do things Nitram so I just assumed that you had some initial contact point that was further out. I can stick you closer to Sol though.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Put me 5 or 6 out then, I'm playing a successor state.
Last edited by Hawkwings on 2007-12-15 04:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Academia Nut wrote:And Covenant, I am, I'm just making concessions to fluff and to keep from overcrowding any particular quadrant. For example, I did a roll for you and the quadrant was 2, but that one already has a bunch of groups in it, so I tipped the dice over to read 1 because that's a lonely area. (4,2) would be your location now (you're a successor state, right?). When I know more this will probably happen less as it will even out, and I can completely re-randomize it if I make a hash of things. I kept the map without numbering clean as a seperate file just in case something stupid happened.
That's fine, I realized what you were doing (took me a sec) and I edited that reply out. I have faith in your system. ;D

Do whatever you think is best, location doesn't matter to much for me. I'm going to be taking the outsider tag tho', so I'm not being a successor state. I apologize for the confusion but I have indeed added stuff to my OOB that should make it clear I'm something abnormal. I scrapped that idea and chose something more my own style. I love wierd nations, and I couldn't resist. I'll play a human nation some other game when I'd be the only one. ;D
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Okay, updated the map again. How's this look to everybody?

Next few people I might just shuffle into quadrant 3 because now it's looking a little lonely.

And how's about this? If for fluff reasons you want to be close or far to Sol, you can specify a number that you will be "tacked" to, while the other one will be randomly generated. And you don't get to chose if the number is the x or y. How does that sound for now on?
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Couple questions for consideration:

If we don't "fill in" all the space with our territories, does it mean that there are no inhabitable planets there?

On the coordinates, would the hex immediately to the NE of Sol be (1, 0.5)?
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

There are of course habitable planets in the white space, its just that the war has either wrecked them, no one bothered the colonize them for whatever reasons, or they are controlled by the mods as minor NPC factions, namely groups that control a much smaller amount of production than the PC nations.

The closest full hex immediately NE is (1,2), but that's just how the hex system works, you can't go at 45 degree angles. Something like (1,0) is probably closer to what would be desired though.
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

I'd be open to being stuck somewhere in that big open space; my guys are a successor state, but their history has them as rather isolationist, so it'd probably make sense for them to be at at least medium distance from Sol, where the Empire wouldn't be involved as fully.
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Okay Tannasin, you're at (-4, -5) now. I won't post the updated map until I get say another three groups on there. Looks like there will be a fair number of people shuffled into quadrants 3 and 4 until they are less lonely looking.
A-Wing_Slash
Padawan Learner

Post by A-Wing_Slash »

I'm not very concerned over exactly where I go, but as a successor state I'd rather be closer to Sol than not. I have one question about you map, though: is there going to be a corridor of empty space between the edge of the map and Sol, representing the systems the Enclave fought its way through to get to Earth?

In other news, my OOB should be up soon.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

That corridor would probably be right through (or next to) my territory (Corona Stars Commonwealth).
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

There are a couple of vectors for the invasion corridor right now, either from the northwest, or the east, or hell, at right angles to the plane seeing as this is a 2-D simplified representation of a 3-D system.

And the Grand Duchy of Malacaster is now at (-4, -2)
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Well, the Enclave got to Sol and made it go boom right? And then it looks like they withdrew from the system and fortified their current location.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Works for me. I was planning to fortify the system's debris field, but this works fine.

I just need to see who my neighbour is, see if I need to go all Space-Carthage on 'em.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Question about the map: do all our nations have access to the full map, or can we only see, like, 4 hexes around us?

Maybe all the Imperial successor powers know where each other are, and also have the location of the Enclave, while the barbarians need to scout out everyone.
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

This would be fair, although obviously the barbarians would be afforded the same protection. We might all "know" about one another, but the barbarians haven't had a good look at anything but the border territories for countless generations, and the only people with reasonable knowledge of where the barbarians might be would have been blown up during the Enclave war.