battleships forever

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Re: Who here reads Schlock Mercenary?

Post by Alan Bolte »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:It's Petey!! :lol:
That's...weird. It's like you started to do a side view, then realized it's a top-down game and made it a top view, yet left the semicircle shape to the main hull. That, and I'm not sure I like the idea of guns on the annie plant. Oh well, at least we've got terawatt masers and twin-octuple banks of rail guns.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Alan Bolte wrote:
That's...weird. It's like you started to do a side view, then realized it's a top-down game and made it a top view, yet left the semicircle shape to the main hull. That, and I'm not sure I like the idea of guns on the annie plant. Oh well, at least we've got terawatt masers and twin-octuple banks of rail guns.
It's a 'combined top and side' view. Oh, and Petey's about to get a refit soon. :)
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Cool, but not quite as awesome as your space phoenix. Of course I would say that. :)
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

A fleet, consisting entirely of ships made by me... Not every ship I've designed is there, though. There's not enough room for that.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Yes, it's a ship.

th15
Redshirt

Post by th15 »

Keep those ships coming guys :)

New Version Released!
Download it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... lerv81.exe
Vista installer here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... 1Vista.exe

Alternate mirror: http://www.victorygames.info/bf/BFFullInstallerv81.exe
Alternate mirror for Vista Installer: http://www.victorygames.info/bf/BFFullI ... 1Vista.exe

I've got a really really long list of changes in this version. Most of bug fixes but there are some feature improvements. The .shp file format has been completely re-written so that it's much more efficient now. .shp files should be around 50x smaller than they used to be. This also means that they load that much faster. The game is still compatible with .shp files made with older versions but they will not run as fast as ships that have been saved with the new shipmaker. If you want to convert your ships to the new format, simply open up the .sb2 in the new shipmaker and re-save them. There are now 7 new sections (designed by players!).

You can now spawn multiple ships at a time by holding shift while spawning them. The destroy mode in sandbox also allows you to destroy terrain objects. The GUI display has been changed somewhat. The game now runs faster because of it. Sections are now colour coded in the GUI damage display too, to make it easier to read.

Other parts of the interface have been changed too. The fleet selection menu is not a little more animated and has been improved so that it runs much faster (slower computers that had low frame rates in the fleet selection will no longer find that it's a problem). The Select turrets button is now gone and has been replaced with the Toggle Interceptor button which toggles a ship's interceptors from defensive to offensive. Toggling turret modes also works better now as it will intelligently toggle modes so that all selected ships/modules are on the same setting. This means that if you had a selection of turrets and half were on hold fire, pressing H will now either make all turrets selected hold fire or change all of them to fire at will.

On the combat side, stun effects are about half as effective as they used to be. It now displays a small counter over the ship when it is stunned. This is purely for debugging purposes. If you see really wild values (i.e. greater than 400 or so) then you should report it as a bug. Pulsars no longer hit enemy ships until their 2nd stage of deployment, this means that they don't work as shotguns any more. The Zelus and Athena have been tweaked a little too.

AI has been improved in is different ways. It will try to avoid Deflected sections when firing, swap broadside facings more intelligently.

Also, when ships are given an attack order, they will now set their target as a facing target. What this means is that you can right click on an enemy ship, immediately click on a position to move-to and your ships will move to that location while facing the targeted enemy. Another improvement is that if a ship is given a target that is far within it's normal engagement range, it will no longer immediately back off to that engagement range. It will instead engage the enemy at the current range.

Full change log at: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1#1
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Image Image
RRoan
Padawan Learner

Post by RRoan »

It seems this Athena got a bit too big for its britches. (Posting this here because it's too awesome to post in just one place)

This post will be edited upon completion.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

I said it over on the Battleships Forever forums, and I'll say it again here, because it certainly bares repeating.

GOD DAMN, that is one beautiful ship RRoan. :D
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I'm consistently impressed by how well put together some of these things are. Einy's Firebird, for example, is awesome, and the Hypercube is of marvellous complexity. RRoan's work is also extremely good. It would have been very difficult to put all those individual components together to get such a large volume from them.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:Yes, it's a ship.

-snip image-
Borg cube!
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

I've designed some ships for this game, i have no idea how to upload pictures though.

Most are based on 40K Imperial ships...so they naturally resemble massive green dicks with glowing shielded heads. Which is pretty much what an Imperial battleship looks like anyway. :P

Just for shits and giggles i like to design a single, hidden flaw in a ship that is otherwise practically indestructible. It's like a dude in full armor wearing no shoes, this one big flaw that, if you can find it, you can take them down easy. The trick is, they're so heavily armed that this is incredibly difficult for the enemy to do, if it ever even occurs to him to do so since it's not immediately obvious at a cursory glance.
Kanye West Saves.

Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Image Image
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Man, I'd love to see that thing unload on someone. It would be glorious, though it would melt my computer.
What is Project Zohar?

Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Ford Prefect wrote:Man, I'd love to see that thing unload on someone. It would be glorious, though it would melt my computer.
It's nothing compared to my Hypercube, actually. What I like about it is its almost sublime beauty despite being brutally functional. I literally made no concessions whatsoever to aesthetics or style when designing it. :)
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Speaking of Hypercube...
Image Image
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote: It's nothing compared to my Hypercube, actually. What I like about it is its almost sublime beauty despite being brutally functional. I literally made no concessions whatsoever to aesthetics or style when designing it. :)
It's got a nice symmetrical quality to it, which helps.
What is Project Zohar?

Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I got bored and decided to make something that wasn't a brute-force aberration against creation.

Sure, it's no masterwork, but I like the lines.

I also cranked out some mad supressionship.

I dunno. I don't think it's a keeper. Still, I don't advise getting behind one.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Image Image
th15
Redshirt

Post by th15 »

New Version Released
Get it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/bfdownload.php

Once again, I bring you gifts of binary 1s and 0s. This new version works out a few bugs in the previous one and implements a few improvements.

The most prominent new feature is the ability to resize the Sandbox to any size you want. Be warned though, it can adversely affect performance. If the special effects become too pixelated in the sandbox, try running the game with Surfaces off.

Full changelog available here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1#1
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

<_<
>_>

will there ever be a Mac version? :cry:
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
th15
Redshirt

Post by th15 »

Not as such. Yoyogames is working on making Game Maker more portable. However, the latest version can be run on Wine on Ubuntu so I assume that you should be able to run it on a mac with bootcamp or parallels or whatever the mac>windows emulator was called.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Image Image
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Bigass Kinetic Kill Vehicle. Destroys anything short of a Death Blossom in one hit to the Core.
Image Image