This forum is for TECHNOLOGY-BASED sci-fi!

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

AdmiralKanos
Lex Animata
Lex Animata

This forum is for TECHNOLOGY-BASED sci-fi!

Post by AdmiralKanos »

After seemingly endless debate with comic and anime fan-whores, it has become all too clear that they categorically reject the use of science and scientific methods for analysis, therefore those discussions become virtually unresolvable through objective, rational means and clearly do not belong in the OSF forum.

However, that does not mean that I'm going to delete or lock or discourage discussion of topics which revolve around magic (eg- D&D, Harry Potter) rather than technology-based sci-fi; instead, I have created a new forum for them. Please go to the "Comics, Anime, and Magic" forum if that is your kettle of fish.

EDIT: mecha are technically anime as well, but they are technological, so I would keep related discusions here.

EDIT: added magic.
Last edited by AdmiralKanos on 2003-06-29 11:41am, edited 3 times in total.
For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet Cybertron.
But now, you shall witnesss ... its dismemberment!

"This is what happens when you use trivia napkins for research material"- Sea Skimmer on "Pearl Harbour".
"Do you work out? Your hands are so strong! Especially the right one!"- spoken to Bud Bundy
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

I resent that, I truly do.

Oh, you said fan-whores, not fans, that's okay then.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: This forum is for TECHNOLOGY-BASED sci-fi!

Post by NecronLord »

AdmiralKanos wrote:Mecha are technically anime as well, but they are technological, so I would keep related discusions here.
In the broadest possible sense of the word, as we all know that they'd need some form of magic to be better than conventional weapons.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

What about technological (aka no magic involved) anime? Some anime series are of a much more logical bent than others. A Bebop fan isn't the same as a DBZ fanboy.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

I say we should look at by topic by topic basis.

Bebop is fairly scientific vs say Yu-YU or DBZ which are just energy from eh.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

Yay!
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I think it's mostly a case-by-case basis, peeps.
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

I got the 80,000th post!

Where would a tech vs magic go?
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

StarshipTitanic wrote:I got the 80,000th post!

Where would a tech vs magic go?
Magic.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Why is the Comics/Anime/Magic forum under the Sci Fi section of forums rather then non science fiction section?
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Why is the Comics/Anime/Magic forum under the Sci Fi section of forums rather then non science fiction section?
Because cross-overs between the fantasy and sci-fi genres exist - such as "Dragonriders Of Pern", "Shadowrun" and Marion Zimmer-Bradley's "Darkover" books.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:Why is the Comics/Anime/Magic forum under the Sci Fi section of forums rather then non science fiction section?
Because cross-overs between the fantasy and sci-fi genres exist - such as "Dragonriders Of Pern", "Shadowrun" and Marion Zimmer-Bradley's "Darkover" books.
And.. um... Star Wars?
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

innerbrat wrote:
Simon H.Johansen wrote:
And.. um... Star Wars?
It's not like he said SW wasn't...

YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

StarshipTitanic wrote:It's not like he said SW wasn't...
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

StarshipTitanic wrote:
innerbrat wrote:
Simon H.Johansen wrote: Because cross-overs between the fantasy and sci-fi genres exist - such as "Dragonriders Of Pern", "Shadowrun" and Marion Zimmer-Bradley's "Darkover" books.
And.. um... Star Wars?
It's not like he said SW wasn't...
SW is not a genuine crossover, it's more akin to sci-fi with fantasy elements incorporated. The probably most obvious example of sci-fi/fantasy crossover would be "He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe", which has spaceships, advanced gadgetry and all sorts of strange vehicles - but everyone runs around with swords, the villain is an evil warlock, the socio-economic system is more or less feudal and so on.

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

What about Flash Gordon, and Clarke's Third Law?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:What about Flash Gordon, and Clarke's Third Law?
Good point. But I draw the line between sci-fi and fantasy where the magic is presented as magic, not the result of super-advanced technology.

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

I will add this, because over time it is getting fucking ridiculous.

Numbers, people. I do not want to hear how Sci Fi Universe A will assrape Sci-Fi universe B because of some vague pseudo science jabber. Tell us how this thing works. The science doesn't have to be exact, but none of this "Well, it just won't hurt it.".

This applies to all versus because so far people are just throwing things to wall, debating over who's possible interpretation of some vague allusion is correct, and still not reaching an objective point.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete