Swords destroying tanks in civilization

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Oh I'm pretty pro-AC, I just haven't played in ages so I couldn't recall my experiences. The whole unit/tech/design/cost part of the game was better and more sensible than Civ. I guess it's a shame that the 'historical strategy' genre is basically Civilisation - even the GC2 system is better.

Wow, it came out in 1999. Did they ignore it for all later Sid Meier-brand games? :)
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Stark wrote:Wow, it came out in 1999. Did they ignore it for all later Sid Meier-brand games? :)
Yeah, they pretty much scrapped everything AC had introduced with Civ 3. I think I finished one game of 3 and stopped in palpable disgust at how retrograde it was. Even Civ 2 had less fucked combat. (it was the endless herds of Elephants that did it. The Indians had billions of them, and they could handily trample my fully mechanised and modern army, given sufficient waves, whereas in Civ 2 or AC even a whole legion of crap troops won't overcome a significantly superior defender. I think they imported them from Dwarf Fortress.)
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

It really is sad that from a combat perspective Civ2 was probably the best put together segment though Civ4 has tried slowly and surely to make its way there. The problem is that its hard with the limited number of late-era techs to really allow for the incremental improvements in mdoern warfare without forcing all players to incur huge costs in terms of re-equipping. While admittedly this is true to life its really hard to have an early bi-plane follow by a WWII era prop fighter followed by an early model jet fighter then a supersonic jet fighter then a stealthy jet fighter. Without allowing for the huge number of new units such distinctions would make you have to find a way to balance the single technology jump which allows you to leap from prop to stealthy jet. Simply put unless you do add in all the intermediate units and give them incrementally better abilities to the point that 2-3 levels means an impossibility of matching performance you have to find a way to balance the game. So yes you lose realism but play balance is going to be required.

Still the firepower and hitpoint system worked FAR better than the simplistic "power" stat that Civ4 is using. Honestly about the only way to make the current system work would to be adding a +100% against units from a previous era and +200% from units from 2 or more eras previously. With a Modern Armor already at 40 (+ 2 upgrades with Barracks and Vassalage, Theocracy or even just the Pentagon) there would just be no way for anything earlier than a regular tank (or now the anti-tank infantry) to take it on even in huge waves.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

I sorta liked Call to Power. While at some point, massive numbers of older units (within reason) swamped newer ones (three modern 1990's tanks vs 1 hoverfushonspacetank), you got all those newer abilities. Like deeper water travel, longer aircraft range, transatmospheric flight, underwater/amphib ability, etc. that more than made up for similarities in power.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

CmdrWilkens, it's called 'unit upgrades'. Either paying to upgrade units to related units or destroying them to provide resources for newer versions under construction would instantly fix that problem. It's no more retarded to upgrade a phalanx to a legion or a rifleman to a mech inf than it is to have that phalanx operational for 2,000 years at the same cost. :)

Oh wait, I just out-thought the entire Civ development team for the last four years. :lol:
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Civ III was the most worthless piece of shit iteration of the Civ combat system in history. What they were thinking, I don't know, but Civ II is much better.

I'm a lot less nuanced in my view of how modern units should handle obsolescent units.

Ready?

Battleship vs Trireme.

The Trireme will always, always, always get sunk. There's a simple switch in the code or something. Automatic loss of that unit. No animation. Not hitpoint reduction. Automatic loss. Period.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Vympel wrote: Battleship vs Trireme.

The Trireme will always, always, always get sunk. There's a simple switch in the code or something. Automatic loss of that unit. No animation. Not hitpoint reduction. Automatic loss. Period.
You know, I never really noticed problems with Civ III ground combat. The "lose tanks to spearmen" syndrome was simply never significant enough.

But on the sea, it's just insane. I was regularly losing destroyers to wooden frigates, because the naval units are so hopelessly few that they don't really progress well through the ages. Witness how the frigate is only a minor improvement over the trireme, while similar era ground units will, in fact, trample earlier eras (if with some silliness).

Oh, and I liked CivIII. They introduced too much 3D flashyness for no gain in Civ IV, and gutted naval units even more.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

PeZook wrote:
Vympel wrote: Battleship vs Trireme.

You know, I never really noticed problems with Civ III ground combat. The "lose tanks to spearmen" syndrome was simply never significant enough.

But on the sea, it's just insane. I was regularly losing destroyers to wooden frigates, because the naval units are so hopelessly few that they don't really progress well through the ages. Witness how the frigate is only a minor improvement over the trireme, while similar era ground units will, in fact, trample earlier eras (if with some silliness).

Oh, and I liked CivIII. They introduced too much 3D flashyness for no gain in Civ IV, and gutted naval units even more.
At least CivIII's scenarios in the Warlords expansion were fun.

But the scenarios in the Conquerers did not excite.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Good old Civ II, it still had its problems, but nothing that couldn't be fix by going into their setup and changing all of the values so that more modern units had much higher stats, making it more realistic when the inevitable horde of chariots came up to a city protected by marines and Mech Inf. Best thing about Civ II was the customizing, so easy to make new units and such.

Still though Civ II Test of Time's Fantasy and Sci Fi modes are still probably my favorite versions of the game.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Screw BB v Trireme, how about an old-school wooden frigate versus a goddamn NUCLEAR SUBMARINE! That...that broke my mind. I simply quit and uninstalled on the spot.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Rightous Fist Of Heaven
Jedi Master

Post by Rightous Fist Of Heaven »

White Haven wrote:Screw BB v Trireme, how about an old-school wooden frigate versus a goddamn NUCLEAR SUBMARINE! That...that broke my mind. I simply quit and uninstalled on the spot.
In Civ 4 Beyond the Sword, Age of Sail era warships can still attack and damge Nuclear Attack Submarines. They cant really do jack nor crap worth of damage against them, but they can attack them. Ahh, the utter silliness of Civilization combat mechanics.
"The ones they built at the height of nuclear weapons could knock the earth out of its orbit" - Physics expert Envy in reference to the hydrogen bombs built during the cold war.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

White Haven wrote:Screw BB v Trireme, how about an old-school wooden frigate versus a goddamn NUCLEAR SUBMARINE! That...that broke my mind. I simply quit and uninstalled on the spot.
Worse. I've had jet fighters taken down by Horse Archers. Or Lancers. Those are mighty accurate and long-ranging lances.
SpacedTeddyBear
Jedi Master

Post by SpacedTeddyBear »

Maybe as the spearmen are being blown to pieces by the tanks, some of the guts inadvertently gets lodged into the barrel of the main gun, thus jamming it.............. :wink:
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

What really pissed me off was how in Civ 3, they fucked up the scarcity of resources. Why is it that it's nearly impossible to find Iron or Coal? Jesus christ, those were the most fucking common elements in the earth's crust; it's not like we're looking for frigging diamonds here.

Oil fields were also shittily done. They should have done a gaussian distribution of them all around the world, with a few regions getting a heavy bonus to possibility of oil fields.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

Nephtys wrote:
Worse. I've had jet fighters taken down by Horse Archers. Or Lancers. Those are mighty accurate and long-ranging lances.
Maybe they were explosive lances?
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I just lost one of my six tanks attacking a fortified english longbowman with elite stats, in a fortified city the other night. The tank had been damaged (along with the rest of the tanks in his stack) by 4 failed trebuchet strikes, and several knight charges the previous turn)

edit (I think those longbowmen must have dropped a city wall on the tanks)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Rightous Fist Of Heaven wrote:
In Civ 4 Beyond the Sword, Age of Sail era warships can still attack and damge Nuclear Attack Submarines. They cant really do jack nor crap worth of damage against them, but they can attack them. Ahh, the utter silliness of Civilization combat mechanics.
How the hell can it attack them if it can't see them? Or did it have a "spotter" unit nearby?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

RogueIce wrote:
Rightous Fist Of Heaven wrote:
How the hell can it attack them if it can't see them? Or did it have a "spotter" unit nearby?
I just got the mental image of a pirate sitting at a sonar station, listening intently with big headphones.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

MKSheppard wrote:What really pissed me off was how in Civ 3, they fucked up the scarcity of resources. Why is it that it's nearly impossible to find Iron or Coal? Jesus christ, those were the most fucking common elements in the earth's crust; it's not like we're looking for frigging diamonds here.

Oil fields were also shittily done. They should have done a gaussian distribution of them all around the world, with a few regions getting a heavy bonus to possibility of oil fields.

Resource distribution pissed me off mightily. Why should I have to build roads to nowhere in order to resources halfway across the continent? When there are terrain squares of the same type within my existing area? Why wasn't there an "advanced mining" tech which reveal more resources?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Post by Andrew_Fireborn »

Because, while it was a decent idea to spice up the diplomacy side of things, it was executed horribly like most everything in Civ III...

Didn't know about the sub bit... that just makes it all the more sad. SMAC will probably remain the best of Meier's work for a good time to come...
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Vympel wrote:Battleship vs Trireme.

What? No Battleship just running over the Trireme whilst the little wooden boat impotently fires at it's hull?
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Lonestar wrote:Resource distribution pissed me off mightily. Why should I have to build roads to nowhere in order to resources halfway across the continent? When there are terrain squares of the same type within my existing area? Why wasn't there an "advanced mining" tech which reveal more resources?
I simply cheated.

Seriously, the idea of scouring across the planet and only finding one miserable oil field is preposterous.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

It distinctly reminds me of Rise of Nations. It actually takes a battleship several shots to sink a small wooden fishing boat.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

chitoryu12 wrote:It distinctly reminds me of Rise of Nations. It actually takes a battleship several shots to sink a small wooden fishing boat.
You mean the RTS where every land soldier, vehicle or horseguy lines up Napoleon-style into a giant line and fires at each other, from archers to Navy SEALs? And that cities are only mildly irritated at being hit by nuclear weapos?
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

Nephtys wrote:
chitoryu12 wrote:It distinctly reminds me of Rise of Nations. It actually takes a battleship several shots to sink a small wooden fishing boat.
You mean the RTS where every land soldier, vehicle or horseguy lines up Napoleon-style into a giant line and fires at each other, from archers to Navy SEALs? And that cities are only mildly irritated at being hit by nuclear weapos?
Yes. How did you know?