Redheads Extinct by 2100!?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

As someone who is homozygous recessive for redheadedness I volunteer to act as part of a "captive breeding program" to help bring the numbers up. I know it will be hard being confined to what will amount to a small country filled with sexy redheads going around and breeding with as many as possible, but someone has to do it and I acecpt my responsibility to help pass on the genes.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Superman wrote:Einy, that second chick down with the big tits looks good.

Yeah but can we get red hair without the pasty white skin tone?
We could do some genetic engineering or just very selective breeding, but they usually go hand-in-hand. The real thing is that the people who are redheads are predominantly from very limited stock. Redhead types also have an increased rate of sinus-related problems because of that similar reason.

I know it's possible for some redheads to get a tan, but the darkest I can get (even with brown hair on my head) is around 'medium rare' rather than an actual deeper tan like my brothers or Dad. Same goes for most of the redheads I know. Maybe Ein has a different experience? Darthdavid?

You certainly could spray the tan on. Less risk of skin cancer too!
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

Einy, are all of those dudes? Because, well, it is you and all. Never know about those trannys.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I doubt that blonde hair, red hair and green or blue eyes will ever go extinct, since those features can crop up in many non-Caucasians as well (thus torpedoing Neo-Nazi assumptions of the "breeding out" of the "Aryan" race).
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

There's also a little thing called hair dye.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

I think we will see a reduction in the number of redheads, but probably not on the same time scale as was suggested. Every time that a redhead has a child with someone who doesn't carry the gene, that child can only be a carrier, and then has only a 50% chance of passing it on to a later generation. Since redheads and carriers make up such a small proportion of the population (4% of people are redheads, therefore it is reasonable to assume that there is a further 8% of the population that carry the gene), chances are that the offspring of redheads won't be redheads, but just carriers. Of course, two carriers can give birth to a redhead, but the fact that the population is mixing fairly randomly means that for every carrier hooking up with another carrier, there is a smaller proportion hooking up with redheads, and there will be many carriers hooking up with non carriers.
A redhead-redhead combination and redhead-carrier combination strengthens the population, a carrier-carrier combination keeps the population stable, but a carrier-non-carrier combination weakens the population. By far, the most common will be the carrier-non-carrier.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
Max
Jedi Knight

Post by Max »

Rye wrote:Well, if they're dwindling into nonexistence, I don't really care. Anyone that wants to look ...ginger... can do so with the usual hair colouring chemicals.
omg.. I couldn't stop laughing when I read that! It's subtley funny, and reminded me of the gingerkids episode of southpark..haha
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Covenant wrote:

We could do some genetic engineering or just very selective breeding, but they usually go hand-in-hand. The real thing is that the people who are redheads are predominantly from very limited stock. Redhead types also have an increased rate of sinus-related problems because of that similar reason.

I know it's possible for some redheads to get a tan, but the darkest I can get (even with brown hair on my head) is around 'medium rare' rather than an actual deeper tan like my brothers or Dad. Same goes for most of the redheads I know. Maybe Ein has a different experience? Darthdavid?

Redhair, light-colored eyes, and pale skin seem to be genetically linked somehow. :roll: Maybe it's a general lack of melonin?

As a strawberry blonde, I have a horrible time getting a tan. 10 minutes in bright sunlight (or a tanningbed) will burn me. 5 minutes if I'm not wearing the SPF 30-45. The worst part is that I burn lobster red, start peeling within a few days, and am back to patsy white within two weeks.

Again, in my Limited Experience (sends Ayleska a pointed look), this rapid burn/peel/white cycle is common to redheads.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
SVPD
Jedi Master

Post by SVPD »

LadyTevar wrote: Redhair, light-colored eyes, and pale skin seem to be genetically linked somehow. :roll: Maybe it's a general lack of melonin?

As a strawberry blonde, I have a horrible time getting a tan. 10 minutes in bright sunlight (or a tanningbed) will burn me. 5 minutes if I'm not wearing the SPF 30-45. The worst part is that I burn lobster red, start peeling within a few days, and am back to patsy white within two weeks.

Again, in my Limited Experience (sends Ayleska a pointed look), this rapid burn/peel/white cycle is common to redheads.
I'm in the same boat. I burn very easily (10-15 minutes without strong sunblock). I have strawberry blonde-reddish hair oo, and blue eyes.
Shit like this is why I'm kind of glad it isn't legal to go around punching people in the crotch. You'd be able to track my movement from orbit from the sheer mass of idiots I'd leave lying on the ground clutching their privates in my wake. -- Mr. Coffee
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

I burn easily as well. I tend to avoid the sun whenever possible. So I have nice work shirts and safari hats to keep the sun off me.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Covenant wrote:

Actually, I don't know any guy that cares about skin tone (not counting racist tards or something)... Usually a guy's more basic 'drives' are easily going to override his being critical of minor things like that... :wink:
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

SVPD wrote:
LadyTevar wrote: Redhair, light-colored eyes, and pale skin seem to be genetically linked somehow. :roll: Maybe it's a general lack of melonin?

I'm in the same boat. I burn very easily (10-15 minutes without strong sunblock). I have strawberry blonde-reddish hair oo, and blue eyes.
While not traditionally red-head, I've got the slightly brown version, I can get burned through my tshirt.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Covenant wrote:

I don't tan. I pink.:mrgreen: I do get freckles if I get consistent medium amounts of sun.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Ghetto Edit;Addendum to above: I mean medium for me, for the general population that amounts to about nothing.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

My mother has Russian Red hair, and has the same problem - she burns very quickly if she's not careful, and never gets darker than two shades shy of 'pasty'. She also freckles something fierce.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

LadyTevar wrote:Redhair, light-colored eyes, and pale skin seem to be genetically linked somehow. :roll: Maybe it's a general lack of melonin?

Its not a lack of melonin but that the melonin is red, therefore less able to handle prolonged exposure to UV.

Red-heads are also not dieing out, its just that darker reds are more predominant. I was born with brilliant copper hair (which no one thought to tell me till I said something) that darkened to nearly black. Then my wife decided to try to color my hair. One application of strong hair bleach later and I had bubblegum pink hair. Repeated dye attempts and sun exposure has lightened my hair to the point the red is visible.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
Spin Echo
Jedi Master

Post by Spin Echo »

The redheads I've seen with darker skin and red hair (all courtesy of hair dye) look really weird to me, mainly because it's just not a combination you see in nature. It's like those women who tan really dark and then dye their hair platinum blonde.

Besides, I prefer to think of it as porcelain skin tone and not pasty white. :P
Doom dOom doOM DOom doomity DooM doom Dooooom Doom DOOM!
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Why is red hair often associated with ethnic groups like Northern European Celts and Eastern European Jews? Also I've seen a handful of Somalians in Bristol who have bright red hair inspite of their dark skin and I imagine red hair could be relatively common in the Middle East as well (white blonde hair seems rarer than red hair).
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Big Orange wrote:Why is red hair often associated with ethnic groups like Northern European Celts and Eastern European Jews? Also I've seen a handful of Somalians in Bristol who have bright red hair inspite of their dark skin and I imagine red hair could be relatively common in the Middle East as well (white blonde hair seems rarer than red hair).
It goes back to the fact that Redhair is recessive, so it shows up more in closed populations where there are a lot of people sharing that recessive gene.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Fetch Doctor Watson! This appears to be the work of the... Red-headed League!
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Seriously, I'll reiterate my point.

Redheads. Are. Fucking. Hawt.

Its not 100% true, but its gotta be a decent percentage.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

LadyTevar wrote: It goes back to the fact that Redhair is recessive, so it shows up more in closed populations where there are a lot of people sharing that recessive gene.
So to put things bluntly, red hair is the result of mild inbreeding in a relatively closed population. I also noticed that Celtic people in the British Isle can look quite Mediterranean or even vaguely Berber looking.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

We can't let bogus things like science and godless evolution take Alicia Witt away!

First they came and took GOD out of the schools. Then they started teaching satanic evolution. Now they've come for the redheads. This is what happens when we reject Jesus.
:shock:
Mlenk
Jedi Knight

Post by Mlenk »

Angelica Bridges.

Red-Headed Goddess
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Wait a minute...

...taking the logic presented by this article to its...well...logical conclusion.

*Any* gene that is recessive will become diluted and eventually disappear from the species' phenotype.

...or maybe they don't understand that 'dilution' doesn't actually mean the genes are spread thinner, but rather that there are more of them throughout a larger population, thus making it *more* likely that eventually, more heterozygous couples will produce homozygous recessive offspring.

Fucking hell, a first year biology student can see how full of holes their logic is.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee