World Devastators

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

master_yoda
Rabid Monkey

World Devastators

Post by master_yoda »

How long do they take to consume a planet?

How many star destroyers would you get from consuming a planet?
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
master_yoda
Rabid Monkey

Post by master_yoda »

David wrote:

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Ah. A few months im guessing then.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

In all seriousness, I think they probably just eat the top layer of the planet. It would entirely depend on how big the ship is, and the older it is the bigger it is.
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

I think they probably just eat the top layer of the planet.
But the heaviest - ie, best - metals would be located closer to the core.

It would take a long time for even a very mature World Devastator to eat a planet, just for the sheer mass that the things have. Assuming it can eat an area of 1 km by 1 km, and one meter deep, every second, that would be.... well... a lot (yeah, I'm lazy... sue me).
The Great and Malignant
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ewww hot molten magma!

:)
What about that sea of magma between it and the core?
Whats it gonna do? Scoup it up a bit at a time blow on it till its cool THEN eat it? :D

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

I wonder how fast they can make ISDs
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Certainly depends on the size of the Devastator.
I guess Silencer-7 would need about 1 month.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Re: World Devastators

Post by Rob Wilson »

master_yoda wrote:
Depends on how many are designated to the planet, that opening at the front is Approx 1km by 0.25km and it hoovers in Material at frightening rate but it would tke forever for something that size to go through the volume of a world, and even then it has to take the time to fabricate useful equipment as it goes. The best way would be to DS the planet and then send in the Devastators to convert the asteroid field into something useful.

How many star destroyers would you get from consuming a planet?
Well using the following sets of figures : For a planet I'm using the Radius of Earth at the Equator 6378 km. Which will hopefully average out between the Mountains and the sea floor and all the empty space between them. This gives us a Volume of 1347827311392 Cubic km.
For the ISD I'm using a Rectangle 1.6km by 0.6km by 0.6km. This gives a lot of emtpy space but that helps with factoring in all the extra marterials needed to create Hypermatter for the reactor and Neutronium for the hull as I doubt the Devastator can do a 1-1 conversion of ordinary matter to those types of exotics so we're overstating it to take that extra into account. this still only gives a Volume of 480,000,000 Cubic Metres, or a little less than 0.5 cubic km.

So agian the assumption is that the Devastator converts matter to whatever form it needs to for it's building purpose and the extra space used in the ISD volume is to allow for the extra minerals the Devastator would need to mine to make the more Exotic elements in the ISD's construction.

Using these (very) rough figures we get a total of 2,695,654,622,784 ISD's fro one planet. Of course where your going to get the crews for them is another matter. :D
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Cpt_Frank wrote:Certainly depends on the size of the Devastator.

That fast?
Bender and God, Futurama
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:
Cpt_Frank wrote:Certainly depends on the size of the Devastator.

That fast?
Well if it goes through a Cubic Km a second it'll take 42,710 years on an Earth sized planet.

I think he was slightly out :D
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Yea but aren't Devastators only used to destroy bases, cities, and towns, not the entire landscape of the planet. B/s i thought i read somewhere that they only take in metal compounds *of course they take organic if they suck the land* and then turn them into simple compounds after that then reform it to build other things and grow the ships.

Maybe I got it wrong lolz...but for real who would waste time using a Devastator to eat an entire planet?

Cyaround,
Jason
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Soontir C'boath wrote:
Yea but aren't Devastators only used to destroy bases, cities, and towns, not the entire landscape of the planet. B/s i thought i read somewhere that they only take in metal compounds *of course they take organic if they suck the land* and then turn them into simple compounds after that then reform it to build other things and grow the ships.
In Dark Empire they're seen to suck up the sea and turn it into Fighters.
:roll:

Maybe I got it wrong lolz...but for real who would waste time using a Devastator to eat an entire planet?
You've obviously never met Deimos Anomaly on ASVS.
:D

Post by Guest »

To be honest I think the WDs would chew through a planet in a few years. I mean, the DSII was 900km across, thats not very big compared to a planet but they DID have that thing half built in 6 months.

Also, I would bet it takes them a short period of time (relatively speaking) to build a Star Destroyer. It may take a month to built one, but they undoubtedly can build them thousands at a time so you get an effective rate of 1 star destroyer every 45 minutes. This is speculation, but again lookit the DSII. half complete in 6 months. How many SDs would make up half a DSII? Millions, easilly. Even at 1,000,000, thats 160000 a month!! At that rate its one star destroyer ever 17 SECONDS. :shock:
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Anonymous wrote:To be honest I think the WDs would chew through a planet in a few years. I mean, the DSII was 900km across, thats not very big compared to a planet but they DID have that thing half built in 6 months.
It's ll a matter of volume. The volume of a Planet and the volume of throughput the Devastator can manage per second. Take a look at the Calcs I did for an Earth sized planet, at 1 Cubic KM per second it would take 1,347,827,311,392 seconds or 42,710 years. The opening is only (at most) 1km wide by 0.25km high, and the opening at the rear isn't much bigger, it could possibly push out an ISD but it would be a close fit. to do it in 2 years you'd need to process 14,236 cubic km a second, which means your looking at an opening about 14,000 km wide if the ratios are the same, your world devastator would dwarf the DS2 by some margin.
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

[quote="Rob Wilson
Well if it goes through a Cubic Km a second it'll take 42,710 years on an Earth sized planet.

I think he was slightly out :D[/quote]

You misunderstand. He was talking about building a star destroyer, Imperator Class.
Bender and God, Futurama
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:[quote="Rob Wilson

I think he was slightly out :D

You misunderstand. He was talking about building a star destroyer,
Imperator Class.[/quote]

You're quite correct. Oops. :oops:

Still it then comes down to resource output, and we have no figures for an upper limit as Silencer seven was pumping out TIE droids at a fair old rate and not even approaching it's maximum production levels.

I also note that they drop what they make out of the bottom of them and they are large enough to hold at least one ISD, so the use of robotic manufacturing and the speed of raw material ingestion should allow an ISD to be made in about 2 weeks to a month (though that's now in the realms of pure spoeculation, so your guess is as good as mine.)
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Using these (very) rough figures we get a total of 2,695,654,622,784 ISD's fro one planet. Of course where your going to get the crews for them is another matter.

Is that assuming that the WD would use every bit of the planet? The amount of metal in the planet is small compared to the amount of stuff the WDs would not be using ( rocks and stuff).
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

What did the WD makes Ties out of? I don't have the comic.
Bender and God, Futurama
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Maybe silicon?
FireNexus
Cookie

Actually...

Post by FireNexus »

Most rocks contain a fair amount of metal, as can be told by their oft-metallic luster. Volcanic rocks are usually mostly iron. As is the mantle's molten magma.

Since any resonable construction facility would be able to handle molten materials, one would think it reason able that the WD sucks up What it can use on the surface, cuts a big old hole in the planet, and drinks the magma like I'd drink a slurpee. It'd still be fairly slow, but it would be better than waiting for it to solidify.

It's the most efficient way to eat a planet, I would think.

Of course, as blasphemous as it sounds, Star trek's transporters would be very well suited to the job of eating a planet...
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

That's what I originaly meant when I said they'd just stay on the surface. Just go find a nice volcano and chill ( is that possible at a volcano?)
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Post by IDMR »

Rob Wilson wrote:It's ll a matter of volume. The volume of a Planet and the volume of throughput the Devastator can manage per second. Take a look at the Calcs I did for an Earth sized planet, at 1 Cubic KM per second it would take 1,347,827,311,392 seconds or 42,710 years. The opening is only (at most) 1km wide by 0.25km high, and the opening at the rear isn't much bigger, it could possibly push out an ISD but it would be a close fit. to do it in 2 years you'd need to process 14,236 cubic km a second, which means your looking at an opening about 14,000 km wide if the ratios are the same, your world devastator would dwarf the DS2 by some margin.
[maths professor voice]Good, now do an exponential growth study![/maths professor voice]

Seriously, if the WD adds to itself and thus its manufacturing capacity at a given rate, I may be able to run some calculations.
"Intellectual rigor annoys people because it interferes with the pleasure they derive from allowing their wishes to be the fathers of their thoughts." - George F. Will

"If theory and reality diverges, change reality." - Josef Stalin
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Math teachers ~shudder~ I'll be taking Cal 1 in a month or two and I'm scared. When I told the teacher he asked if I was a glutton for punishment.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

IDMR wrote:Seriously, if the WD adds to itself and thus its manufacturing capacity at a given rate, I may be able to run some calculations.
It would be cool if in the future NJO the Imperial Remnant has been spending most of it's ship construction ability to build a World Devastator wich they have been "feeding" and having it make itself larger so it could manufacture ISD's and other capital ships.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.