Controversial Work Comics/Pictures

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Controversial Work Comics/Pictures

Post by Lord Poe »

Lately where I work, we've had a rash of drivers who have gone to their doctors with pains in ther wrist, their back, their ass, etc. and have come back with that golden ticket known as the "light duty only" note from their doctor. This means I can't give them any wheelchair passengers, if we're lucky. Sometimes it means they get to stay in dispatch and ignore the office phones ringing while I drive their route, or a road supervisor takes over.

We've had SO MANY of these drivers pull this crap in the past couple months, it drove me to create this comic:

I hung it up, and we all had a great laugh. The next day it was taken down as being "inappropriate or offensive." Management was perfectly within their rights to do so, of course. However this image has been on the wall for the past two months:

I pointed this out, to no avail. It's still up, BTW.

What kind of stuff is allowed at your offices? Is Dilbert ok, but Doonesbury is not? Funny internet pics are fine, but "opinionated" art is not?

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

God damn, just... God damn...

Never really seen anything that even pushed the envelope where I worked, so I couldn't say what would be allowed. But this... not a snowball's chance in hell.
Chuck

Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

At my last job something like that would have been posted by the management.

That's a pretty okay drawing, BTW.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

In the classroom, you have to be really careful about what you put up. You never know when an administrator might drop in looking for something to bitch about.

The department office is an entirely different story. While something like that Mexifornia driver's license would never fly, we had stuff up on the wall that ripped the students, the administration, the city, the state, the union, everything. Three cheers for tenure.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Hurrah for tenure! I personally enjoy walking through hallways at my university and reading the comics and posters professors put on their office doors; they give intriguing hints about the professors' personalities, as well as being nice for a few laughs.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Surlethe wrote:Hurrah for tenure! I personally enjoy walking through hallways at my university and reading the comics and posters professors put on their office doors; they give intriguing hints about the professors' personalities,
As well as their political persuasion. Which can be important.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

That Mexifornia thing is no surprise. Making racist jabs at Mexicans is a-ok to them, but posting a critique about shoddy business practices is "inappropriate" and "offensive". That's a disgusting amount of hypocrisy.

Anyway, as you can imagine, things are a bit looser where I work, which is a department full of creative people. There's nothing more provocative than my creative edit of a Cracker Jack box (the surprise inside is now a New Jersey driver's license).
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Dalton wrote:That Mexifornia thing is no surprise. Making racist jabs at Mexicans is a-ok to them, but posting a critique about shoddy business practices is "inappropriate" and "offensive". That's a disgusting amount of hypocrisy.
The funny thing is, the company I work is very diverse, and has been owned and operated by a black couple since 1975. The Mexifornia thing is over the desk of a hispanic co-worker. I was pissed that my comic wasn't appropriate!
Anyway, as you can imagine, things are a bit looser where I work, which is a department full of creative people. There's nothing more provocative than my creative edit of a Cracker Jack box (the surprise inside is now a New Jersey driver's license).
LOL!! :lol:

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Trekdestroyer
Racist Donkey-Raping Son of a Whore

Post by Trekdestroyer »

For the whole Mexifornia thing to work it should read like this:
Pablo Sanchez
Puto Calle
Los Angeles, Mexifornia
Sex:Tu madre
Hight:5'4"
Hair:DRTY
WT:Gruso Gordo
Class:Mexicano-Estadounidense
Signiture[BLOCK LETTERS]PABLO SANCHEZ
Tengo derechos de:
No aprende inglés
Manejar
Asistir el Universario
Comprar armas
Eleccionar
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Trekdestroyer wrote:For the whole Mexifornia thing to work it should read like this:
"I cannot teach him. The boy has no sense."

Redleader34
Jedi Knight
Location: Flowing through the Animated Ether, finding unsusual creations

Post by Redleader34 »

Yopu racist bastard... Never speak again!
Dan's Art

Bounty on SDN's most annoying
"A spambot, a spambot who can't spell, a spambot who can't spell or spam properly and a spambot with tenure. Tough"choice."

Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Redleader34 wrote:Yopu racist bastard... Never speak again!
Who are you referring to there, sparky?
To Absent Friends

Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Dalton wrote:
Redleader34 wrote:Yopu racist bastard... Never speak again!
Who are you referring to there, sparky?
I'm pretty sure he's talking about Trekdestroyer's mexifornia idea.

Which also incidentally sucks. I can laugh at racist humor but that just isn't a very good joke. The once posted in the picture is at least a bit better.
Redleader34
Jedi Knight
Location: Flowing through the Animated Ether, finding unsusual creations

Post by Redleader34 »

I was refering to trek destroyer, sory Racism gets me in a tisy. I hate Racists. All Raicsts should be [dalek]EXTER-MAN-ATED[/dalek] that is all.
Dan's Art

Bounty on SDN's most annoying
"A spambot, a spambot who can't spell, a spambot who can't spell or spam properly and a spambot with tenure. Tough"choice."

Daltonator
Reclusive Wanker

Post by Daltonator »

Redleader34 wrote:I was refering to trek destroyer, sory Racism gets me in a tisy. I hate Racists. All Raicsts should be [dalek]EXTER-MAN-ATED[/dalek] that is all.
Ah, alrighty then. *deactivates death laser*
JMS 4:22 | Image
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

At Honeywell several people have TPS Report cover sheets on the outside of their cube walls. Doesn't seem to be a big deal.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Trekdestroyer wrote:For the whole Mexifornia thing to work it should read like this:
Pablo Sanchez
What the fuck is wrong with you?
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
Pablo Sanchez
He's either a very big idiot or a very big masochist.
Chuck

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Sonnenburg wrote:
Pablo Sanchez wrote:
Pablo Sanchez
He's either a very big idiot or a very big masochist.
Masochist is too big of a term for Trekdestroyer's small mind to comprehend.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
Pablo Sanchez
He's Trekdestroyer, he's not exactly known for useful or intelligent posts. I think he needs another ban, but that's just me.

Anyways, when I used to work in a bicycle shop it was pretty much anything goes in the mechanics' area. We had a Trix cereal box where we cut out the rabbit and replaced it with an extra gay picture of Richard Simmons. The caption was "Silly homo, dicks are for chicks". We had something similar to the Mexifornia license except it was directed at Sihks and Somalis. We had a cartoon that made fun of child labour in Asia, a few "Engrish" ones, another about brown people & taxicabs, and quite a few more that I've forgotten.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
RThurmont
Jedi Master
Location: Desperately trying to find a local restaurant that serves foie gras.

Post by RThurmont »

I love Dilbert, and read it frequently, but if an employee plastered a Dilbert (or any other) strip on my nice silver-painted walls, I would be pissed.

At that however, staff-created comics (such as what Lord Poe posted) are encouraged, as they naturally stimulate the creative process. But if you tape it, and in the process of removing it, damage the paint job, prepare to die!!!

(that said, the only one around here who actually has damaged the paint job would be myself-I stupidly used an old Pentel marker a few months ago to draw two lines to help me align an objet d'art, and unfortunately, there still is a trace of Magenta on the wall). :oops:

Oh, and BTW, TrekDestroyer can go screw himself, with my compliments.
"Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer."
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Trekdestroyer, after recalling the last incident with you, I can, by all rights, ban the living fuck out of you. Instead, like a cat, I have chosen to toy with you before the killing stroke. You will be my bitch until I flick you off this board like a booger on my finger. You will not see it coming. You will not know when your time at this place will come to a screeching halt. But like a prisoner on Death Row, you will know that your end here will come soon.

And I will savor every moment of it, because I know that right now you want to do or say anything to appease me. You want to beg, plead and cajole your way out of the banning you so richly deserve.

Know that I could have had you now...but like that special treat for after dinner, I will wait until the time is right to savor it.
To Absent Friends

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I have a feeling it didn't occur to TD that there was someone here named "Pablo Sanchez". That being said, its a really unfunny joke.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Dalton wrote:Trekdestroyer, after recalling the last incident with you, I can, by all rights, ban the living fuck out of you. Instead, like a cat, I have chosen to toy with you before the killing stroke. You will be my bitch until I flick you off this board like a booger on my finger. You will not see it coming. You will not know when your time at this place will come to a screeching halt. But like a prisoner on Death Row, you will know that your end here will come soon.

And I will savor every moment of it, because I know that right now you want to do or say anything to appease me. You want to beg, plead and cajole your way out of the banning you so richly deserve.

Know that I could have had you now...but like that special treat for after dinner, I will wait until the time is right to savor it.
Dalton: you kick ass.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I have a feeling it didn't occur to TD that there was someone here named "Pablo Sanchez". That being said, its a really unfunny joke.
Well yeah, its like bringing up an Archie Bunker rant, then someone comes along and "accurizes" it.