New Talifan Brigade

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

New Talifan Brigade

Post by Lord Poe »

Well, well... two BRAND NEW Youtube members, mere hours apart, picked "Talifan!" to actually watch and comment on! What are the ODDS?

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=poopularity

Videos Watched: 11
Profile Viewed: 3
Last Login: 5 hours ago
poopularity (11 hours ago)
How sad is that? looks like someone worked really hard on it but its so lame. Looks like something done in lieu of getting dates.
MrPoe (4 minutes ago)
Or it could have been done to parody a piece of shit author in lieu of meeting a dumbass like yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=PastoFazool

Videos Watched: 6
Profile Viewed: 0
Last Login: 2 hours ago
PastoFazool (2 hours ago)
Wow. This guy needs to see a shrink.

The guy doth protest too much, methinks. Mr. I'm-not-a-misogynist.
MrPoe (6 seconds ago)
Wow, this transparent fucktard needs to meet poopularity.
Please, both of you, go crawl back up Traviss' dried out hole where she keeps her rats.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

LMAO. These fucktards are really something. People like us are geeks who can't get dates, but fanwhores like them, who asskiss some bitchy hack scifi author...aren't? And is the second guy actually trying to argue in favor of Traviss's misogynist bullshit? :roll:
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

I've blocked both of them. Let's see how many throw-away accounts the KT Jelly brigade create!

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Actually I prefer the video you linked to from The Spinners. :lol:

I wonder how many people who see your video will get it if they know nothing about the Travisstey.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

That's frigging awesome! Did she really invent a language?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

The wanktastic Mandoa'e. Turning the Mandalorians into SW's Klingons. :roll:
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:That's frigging awesome! Did she really invent a language?
No, she took the English language and replaced the vocabulary with random words formed without any rules beyond "aliens words contain at least five apostrophes lol". The grammar is identical and there is literally only one rule of inflection per word group (if that).

It is far from an invented language. More like some kind of code.
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
nightmare
Jedi Council Member

Post by nightmare »

VT-16 wrote:The wanktastic Mandoa'e. Turning the Mandalorians into SW's Klingons. :roll:
You nailed it in one. This is why I don't like this recent deep digging into Mandalorian culture. It's just a question of time before the Mandalorians are completely screwed up (if that didn't happen already), and we'll have Mandabonians posing at every con talking in Al Bhed-alike codespeak, fully degenerating a once mysterious and highly respected if misunderstood warrior culture into something that only deserves mockery.
Star Trek vs. Star Wars, Extralife style.
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

I read the SW Wiki article on Mandalorians (I mean "Mando'ade" :roll: ), and apparently this shit goes deeper than I first thought. There is nothing interesting or mysterious about the Mandalorians anymore, they're just bog-standard sci-fi space warriors/vikings. Smelly space warriors, because apparently you cannot be a Mandalorian if you take your armour off (though, Jango Fett was seen without his armour, so I guess he wasn't a Mandalorian then. Of course, that was just Lucas' vision of a Mandalorian, and we can't trust him to represent proper SW), and from the pictures, it appears they never wash. Even during their weddings they only put flowers in their hair to hide the odour...

Seems like the only mystical part of Star Wars that's left is the Whills. I wonder how long it will take for some hack writer to make them space uber-samurai, who spout Buddhist proverbs in "Whi'lla'koda" all the time...

18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Thats insane. Thats not bad ass, that doesnt even make sense. Even Space Marines take their armor off...to WASH, to have their wounds seen to, to fucking walk around their monestary-bastions.

Thats not bad ass, thats just stupid. If you never remove your armor ever, even to repair it, replace damage, or see to your wounds, then you will either die or your armor will disentegrate under wear.

Jesus.
Kanye West Saves.

VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

It really topped it for me when I checked out the Coruscant article and it has the various names used, including Mandoa'e!

Fuck, they're just a bunch of armored mercenaries, not a galactic culture. :roll:
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Actually the idea of a race of mercenaries is rather cool, IMO, and i dont really mind the language that much (shit Tolkien had his Elves right?).

The thing that bothers me is that they seem to be overexposing the whole idea. If they keep putting the Mandalorians in every story, then they wont be cool or mysterious anymore, which was what made Jango Fett cool. He was like this guy who youd idnt know shit about, he was a last survivor of a mercenary clan, like a ronin or something.

I do find it interesting that on the Wookiepedia article they mention "not all Mandalorians are warriors, some are scientists, engineers and doctors, but all are soldiers at heart". I take that to mean, they're all trained as soldiers, despite whatever job they happen to fill.

So they did put some thought into this.

Ghetto Edit: the "never take your armor off" bit is stupid though, thats just retarded for practical military reasons.
Kanye West Saves.

Spacebeard
Padawan Learner

Post by Spacebeard »

18-Till-I-Die wrote: i dont really mind the language that much (shit Tolkien had his Elves right?).
Comparing the retarded "Mando'a" language to Tolkien's languages is an insult to Tolkien and to conlang enthusiasts everywhere. Tolkien was a professional philologist, and his languages have actual phonology and grammar that aren't identical to a real human language, while "Mando'a" appears to be little more than a cipher for English. The same can be said for Star Trek's Klingon: Paramount hired Marc Okrand, a professional linguist, and he made a language with actual grammar and with sounds that don't occur in English.

Speaking of Tolkien, I think this quote of his is appropriate when discussing EU authors who ruin the universe by rendering prosaic what was once mysterious:
Part of the attraction of the L.R. is, I think, due to the glimpses of a large history in the background: an attraction like that of viewing far off an unvisited island, or seeing the towers of a distant city gleaming in a sunlit mist. To go there is to destroy the magic, unless new unattainable vistas are again revealed.
Last edited by Spacebeard on 2006-05-29 11:34am, edited 1 time in total.
"This war, all around us, is being fought over the very meanings of words." - Chad, Deus Ex
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:Actually the idea of a race of mercenaries is rather cool, IMO, and i dont really mind the language that much (shit Tolkien had his Elves right?).
The difference with Elvish and what people are saying about Mandalorian, is that Mandalorian seems to be just word replacement. Elvish has it's own grammatical structure, pinched from Greek/Latin. IIRC words can also have suffixes/prefixes added to them to change their function in the sentence.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Spacebeard wrote:The same can be said for Star Trek's Klingon: Paramount hired Marc Okrand, a professional linguist, and he made a language with actual grammar and with sounds that don't occur in English.
The sad thing about that is that after he makes the language, most of the time the writers just decided to write whatever they thought sounded cool. :roll:
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

The only thing I like about the new info on Mandalorians, is that it depicts them as a diverse people, consisting of many different species. And they use ranged weaponry. For now.

"Throw down your jetpacks! Tonight we fight and die with honor, on the ground!" :P
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Dooey Jo wrote:Smelly space warriors, because apparently you cannot be a Mandalorian if you take your armour off (though, Jango Fett was seen without his armour, so I guess he wasn't a Mandalorian then. Of course, that was just Lucas' vision of a Mandalorian, and we can't trust him to represent proper SW), and from the pictures, it appears they never wash. Even during their weddings they only put flowers in their hair to hide the odour...
Um, I read the article, and I don't see anything that suggests Mandalorians had to wear their armor "all the time":
There were six acts one needed to follow to be a Mandalorian, those being wearing armor, speaking Mando'a, defending theirselves and families, raising children as Mandalorians, helping the clan succeed and sustain itself, and when called to arms by the Mandalore, rally to his cause.
They neither "speak Mando'a" all the time, nor do they raise children all the time either, even though they're mentioned as cultural rules as well. I may not like all the Mandalorian-focus, but that's taking criticism a bit too far. They also point out a saying, that "a warrior is more than his armor", so obviously, they're not religiously attached to them.
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

VT-16 wrote:Um, I read the article, and I don't see anything that suggests Mandalorians had to wear their armor "all the time":

They neither "speak Mando'a" all the time, nor do they raise children all the time either, even though they're mentioned as cultural rules as well. I may not like all the Mandalorian-focus, but that's taking criticism a bit too far. They also point out a saying, that "a warrior is more than his armor", so obviously, they're not religiously attached to them.
Well, it says they have to raise children according to Mandalorian tradition, which I assume they have to do all the time when they have children... But it seems to me that it is intended to mean all the time. It doesn't say that they merely have to own the armour, they have to wear it. Plus there's that picture of two unwashed Mandalorians in full armour (that's also totally dirty) during their wedding (and this, which also seems to be a rather "everyday" kind of situation. I wouldn't be surprised to see pictures of Mandalorian farmers or doctors in full armour too). It doesn't explicitly say all the time, but that does seem to be the gist of it, or at the least, most of the time. Apparently Mandalorians are supposed to be constantly armoured dirty warriors...

Also, perhaps the proverb means that it takes more than just armour to make a proper Mandalorian.
wiki wrote:Created by their own hands, fitted to their liking, each piece of Mandalorian steel was chosen and customized by a Mandalorian to their level of skill. The armor had great cultural significance for the Mandalorians, and each set told about the Mandalorian underneath. However, there was a saying in Mando'a: Verd ori'shya beskar'gam, meaning a warrior is more than his armor.
I'm not sure what the proverb is supposed to say in the context.

VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

That it means more to be a Mandalorian than just wearing armor? I just interpreted the "wear armor"-line to mean that if you're going to be a Mandalorian, you have to wear the armor regularly.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:Actually the idea of a race of mercenaries is rather cool, IMO,
Read Gordon Dickson's Dorsai! series if you like the idea of a race of mercenaries. Good writing, of the level that it's been said the original would have won the Hugo if it hadn't been up against Starship Troopers.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

I utterly dislike the idea that the Mandalorians had anything to do at all with the GAR (other than Jango's involvement of course) and I also dislike the idea of the ARCs and especially the Clone Commandos and the null ARCs as they defeat the purpose of completely obedient soldiers (their loyalty also seems divided). On top of that, Clone Intelligence consists of the whopping twelve null ARCs, two of which "discovered" Grievous on Utapau (what about the information that Anakin relayed to the Jedi Council which said that "A partial message was intercepted in a diplomatic packet from the Chairman of Utapau." Good honest intelligence work, not two clones searching the entire Outer Rim and happens to stumble across Utapau. That's one of the worst (if not the worst) examples of minimalism in the EU.

As for Mando'a, what's the point? I looked at the Coruscant entry over at Wookieepedia and one of the first thing that showed up was: "...also known as Coruscanta in Mando'a." (it's been removed, but someone keeps adding that sentence back. However, it's not present now.).

Of course, I understand that there are people who, for some reason, are overjoyed by Mando'a, but IMHO it doesn't feel like Star Wars and I don't like the impact on the GAR that Mando'a is supposed to have had. I think that Randy Stradley put it best in the first post of the "Apology" thread he had to start (+http://www.darkhorse.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=9021 ) after he was crucified for saying that the opening of Triple Zero didn't make any sense to him.

EDIT: I'm sorry for the vent and for going off-topic. I'm in a terrible mood today.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

On top of that, Clone Intelligence consists of the whopping twelve null ARCs, two of which "discovered" Grievous on Utapau (what about the information that Anakin relayed to the Jedi Council which said that "A partial message was intercepted in a diplomatic packet from the Chairman of Utapau."

I thought that was referring to the same thing? Are the Null-ARCs the only CI operatives in total? Or do they lead the organization?
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

VT-16 wrote:
On top of that, Clone Intelligence consists of the whopping twelve null ARCs, two of which "discovered" Grievous on Utapau (what about the information that Anakin relayed to the Jedi Council which said that "A partial message was intercepted in a diplomatic packet from the Chairman of Utapau."

I thought that was referring to the same thing? Are the Null-ARCs the only CI operatives in total? Or do they lead the organization?
I don't own Triple Zero so I can't give you the exact passage which identifies the null ARCs as the CI, but Wookieepedia has a good article. Perhaps someone can dig up the passage?
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Btw, I love how this guy uses the term against its rightful recipients:
I agree. It's a shame that there exist certain malicious individuals out there who will jump on anything said by an editor or author that can be twisted out of context to bring reproach upon that said editor or author's name. And for what purpose? To gain a little bit of perceived power? To gain notoriety as in "I'm the guy who got Randy Stradely in trouble!"

I can't believe this kind of nonsense goes on! But again, I can't relate to such sick individuals. Talifan fans indeed!
(Note, he said Taliban, but meant Talifan, I corrected it here.)

For all her rants, Traviss seems oblivious to the fact that the term is more easily applicable to the rabid fans who defend her every word and view that version of the Clone Wars as brilliant.

The tools who try to convince me that "ZOMG CW = IRAQ TODAY OUR DECEPTION IS THE SAME AS PALPATINE'S!!111!!" are among the saddest, in that aspect.

don't own Triple Zero so I can't give you the exact passage which identifies the null ARCs as the CI
I don't dispute that, I only want to know if Nulls = all CI operatives or if they're simply a part of a bigger organization.

And they're six, not twelve, only half survived the gestation period.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

VT-16 wrote:I don't dispute that, I only want to know if Nulls = all CI operatives or if they're simply a part of a bigger organization.
No, I understand that. I'll pass this along to someone here with a more overall insight.
VT-16 wrote:And they're six, not twelve, only half survived the gestation period.
Right, sorry about that. :oops:

EDIT: What? Talifan has been flagged as "inappropriate"?