SDN Weight Watchers, Thread the Second

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

Inventory last weekend killed my diet. McDonalds every morning and soda during the day. However, this week I've been better.

25 minutes on the treadmill this morning, followed by free weights. Tomorrow is more of the same. Hopefully, once school starts on Tue, I can resume using the rec-center after class, which will keep me on track.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Can somebody give me advice on what to eat for my evening meal? Is chicken and rice a good meal for me to lose body fat and weight? And chicken and pasta? I don't really understand what all these carbs and protein really mean.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Both of those are potentially good meals as part of a diet. But there's other considerations as well.

White rice is okay if that's what you have, but brown rice is far superior.

What kind of sauce? If it's Alfredo, for example, you just blew it. If it's a typical marinara? Well, 1/2 cup of that counts as a vegetable serving.

How is the chicken cooked? Deep fried is a no-no of course, but grilled or oven fried can be delicious.

More importantly, this is the real key, how much of each? A serving of rice or pasta is 1/2 a cup. A serving of chicken is about 3 oz of meat.

I would definitely include some vegetables with dinner. It'll help fill you up and give you needed nutrients. Try baby spinach and cherry tomatoes or steamed broccoli with a little garlic that's been toasted in a little bit of olive oil. Vegetables don't have to be boring.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Gah, I wish I had some weigh to mesaure my chicken - I don't have a clue what 3oz of chicken looks like. :(

Just had some chicken and pasta, no sauce though, as a mid afternoon meal. Will probably have something similar tonight.

And your point on brown rice is a good one - I will get that next time.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

Well, if there are 16 oz in a pound....

And you buy chicken by the pound....

My meager math skills say that you can calculate that fairly easily without busting out the atomic weights. :oops:
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Pound? If you sold chicken by the pound in this country, you would be hunted down by trading standards! Only grams for us matey, and I have to be honest I never check what weight the chicken brest is I just buy the cheapest one.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

3 oz is about 85 grams.

Also, make sure you try different things to add flavor to your rice. Like mixing in fresh herbs and maybe some lemon zest. A sprinkle of parmesan perhaps. You can also cook with low sodium broth instead of water to add flavor. You'll stick with good food if it tastes good, so mix it up some.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Yesterday I did some weights and cardio but cut things short because I had a headache brewing.

Today: 50 minutes cardio, Lat pull, Seated Row, Upright Row, Military Press, Leg Lifts(My abs are sore!)

Edit:

Wednesday-light day today, just a 20 min walk at lunch
Soy un perdedor.
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

I just got back from my Weight Watchers meeting and...

I LOST 4.6 POUNDS FROM LAST THURSDAY!!!!!

w00ts FOR ME!!! YAY!!!

Continuing on for this week I shal do the same things I was doing last week, not eating so much carbs! That is my secret :)

Wish me luck, cause I missed the all carbs last week :(
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Woot! Mrs K.

Tonight I lifted weights and did cardio. With my lunch walk I did about an hour of cardio. My arms were the focus tonight: Dumbell Curl, Dips, Cable Curl, Supine Dumbell Tricep Extension.
Soy un perdedor.
LadyJules
Redshirt

Post by LadyJules »

hi all! Is this open to Weight Watchers members only, or can those of us trying on their own join in?

I tried Weight Watchers online, but it just wasn't worth it. In a house with 4 adults and 2 kids, it's hard to diet if noone else is. However, I read on Yahoo! that people who eat only when they're hungry on the average weigh 15 lbs less than people who "graze", which is what I used to do. From what I read, you can eat anything you want as long as when you're full, you stop eating. So far I've lost 5 pounds, and my clothes aren't quite as tight.

Congrats to everyone, and good luck!

LadyJules
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

It's open to absolutely anyone who wants to lose fat. Weightwatchers is just the thread name, we are in no way associated with the company by that particular name, though there are some who are using that particular system.

As for eating anything you want as long as you stop when full, that's sorta right. The key isn't so much trying to ordain when you feel like you should stop, but knowing how much you should put on your plate in the first place and stopping at that. I had very much the same problem when I first really started. No one else was trying to lose weight like me and often directly impeded my efforts(easy for them, they don't put on weight the way I do and never carried around 100lbs of fat). I tried to "eyeball it" but unless you're good at it *and* have great willpower that is a lost cause in my experience.

I eventually ended up with a small kitchen scale and some measuring cups, as well as a serving size reference I got from a personal trainer, and used that to regulate myself. I knew how much I needed to eat everyday, how many meals I had to spread that around and measured accordingly.

I'm not saying you need to go to quite that extreme but it is something to keep in mind if you have trouble making headway.
Soy un perdedor.
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

I've lost 2.5 pounds from last week!!! Yay!! Now it's a total of 7 pounds lost since I re-started.
This Weight Watchers plan is not all that hard to follow either, and I've found out that I really enjoy eating veggies instead of junk, I'm already feeling a whole lot better, and my jeans are a little bit looser!! Yay!!
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Mrs K.: I know. Isn't it weird how great vegetables taste when you back off the junk food. Same sorta thing happened to me. :D

Anyhow, this week I've walked a mile every day at lunch. I did cardio on Monday, Tuesday and tonight at the gym. I also lifted weights each night: back and shoulders, chest and legs and arms, respectively.
Soy un perdedor.
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

The Spartan wrote:Mrs K.: I know. Isn't it weird how great vegetables taste when you back off the junk food. Same sorta thing happened to me. :D
Especially with a tiny bit of Becel Margarine on them, that's how I get my oils ;) That or in my salad dressing. I have also found that I am in love with Greek salad :) Sooo yummy :)
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I've developed a considerable taste for yams....!

Anyway, still on my way, down from last time, not giving as much attention to weight right now as much as working out, as long as it keeps going down :wink:.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

Great to hear that everyone is seeing success in their efforts.

My job has recently sent me out to the middle of nowhere for 5 days a week living in a hotel and eating restraunt food. While this is tasty as hell, and at no expense to my pocketbook, there are always the riggors of increased fat and general unhealthiness of restraunt food. But, I'm keeping an eye on it and avoiding fast food like the plague (9 months and counting) and am not worried about it.

I have taken up going to an aerobics class at the Y near where I work and while I have the coordination of a wounded Water Buffalo it is one heck of a workout and it's almost 99% girls in there, so the scenery is nice.

Today I went through my closet and bagged up a bunch of clothes I can't fit in anymore (They're too big). I had to get rid of 5 belts!
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Say, is this thread open for people with the opposite problem? I need to gain 15 pounds - preferably muscle. I am told jogging (my primary source of exercise) is a nono, and that push-ups/sit-ups would be better. O wizened denizens of SD.net, I beseech thee for answers.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:Say, is this thread open for people with the opposite problem? I need to gain 15 pounds - preferably muscle. I am told jogging (my primary source of exercise) is a nono, and that push-ups/sit-ups would be better. O wizened denizens of SD.net, I beseech thee for answers.
You should join a gym if you want to increase muscle. Lift heavy weights in short reps.

I am sure many people in this thread would want your 'problem'. ;)

I am going to weigh myself tomorrow but I have been a baddddddd boy this weekend with no exercise and bad food.
mjn6172
Padawan Learner

Post by mjn6172 »

After being on my new diet for almost a month now, I am now down 10 pounds and I've had to move my belt in two notches. It's actually working, and I'm feeling better now too :D I just need to keep this up and lose the next 20 pounds.
Clever and witty signature to be inserted here, just as soon as I think of one.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Taking this week off of exercise, though I'm still watching what I eat.

Well... the heavy exercise anyways. I'm still walking at lunch. I just need to let my mind and body have a break from the weights and long ass cardio.
Soy un perdedor.
Cyborg Stan
Jedi Knight

Post by Cyborg Stan »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:Say, is this thread open for people with the opposite problem? I need to gain 15 pounds - preferably muscle. I am told jogging (my primary source of exercise) is a nono, and that push-ups/sit-ups would be better. O wizened denizens of SD.net, I beseech thee for answers.
I'd definately would keep jogging if you could, although most advice that I've seen would seperate days you do cardio and weight training. (My problem is sorta the opposite of yours, I have decent strength but little stamina.)

My other advice would be to vary your excersises, and make it so you work your entire body, as you seem to want to gain a certain amount of muscle mass instead of just one area. (Doesn't have to be all in one excersise, but compound motions help.) Having worked out in a gym for a few months, few things are as amusing as seeing guys with arms twice the circumfrence of their legs. Perhaps throw in some squats and stuff. Other people would know more.

As for me, I think I managed to lose 5 pounds somehow, but a lingering cold or something has got me for the past week and a half, so I can't do much exercise.
ASVS Vets Assoc, Class of 1999

Geh Ick Bleah

Avatar is an image of Yuyuko Saigyouji from the Touhou Series.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Woo, just weighed myself on my parents scales instead of my gyms. I am now 162.5lb in the morning, which is down from a peak of 175lb. I just hope these scales are properly calibrated! ;)

Back to the gym later on still, have a big night out tonight. ;)[/list]
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Finally, after a month of physical therapy I can perform aerobic exercises again (Running, knee benches etc').
Still keeping up my 3 times a week at the gym, and now my weight is:
75.4 kg's, turns out that the weight gain last week was just increased muscle mass- I feel fanatstic, a 5%drop :D :D
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Did my usual walk today at work.

Did 30 minutes of cardio at the gym and did Leg Press, Hack Squat, Dumbell Incline Press, Bench Press, Seated Calf Raises.
Soy un perdedor.