Some small 40k v starwars questions.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Glimmervoid
Jedi Master
Location: Some were in the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm.

Some small 40k v starwars questions.

Post by Glimmervoid »

Well there are a lot of 40k threads about at the moment so I thought I would put forward a few questions to be debated.

1) Would a power sword stop a lightsaber?
2) Could even yoda stand up to a strongish elder psychic.
3) How would the empire react on discovery of the IoM (would they approve how things were run etc.
4) How would the old republic react on discovery of the IoM (would they approve how things were run etc.
5) What would happen if a tyranid hive fleet entered in to the starwars galaxy like the vong did.
Darth Sephiroth
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Sephiroth »

1.) no, the lightsaber trumps a power sword quite easily, although I'd say the power sword trumps vibro weapons

2.) Possibly, I'd say it's a strong possibility with what has been show, of course there are examples of scarier things that could be pulled out of the hat (Vader's force ball attacks in Splinter of the Mind's Eye or perhaps worse things like ripping the core out of a star.

3.) The Emperor gets a sadistic gleam in his eye about new people to conquer

4.) Attempt diplomacy, end up probably conquered by the IOM's 'Agressive Negotiations' especially if any of the diplomats were non-human

5.) Star Destroyers pummel them into oblivion
Need Backup!
My Employer ID is: 29877
See the New Imperium (Please check this out we need people there)
Glimmervoid
Jedi Master

Post by Glimmervoid »

1) I mean would a lightsaber go through it. Not which is the better weapon.

3/4) Again I really meant what they would think about the IOM.

5) If you read the vong books you would know that there were no massed stardestroyers until much a long way in to the campaign. And you also must remember the presiding gene stealer infiltration.
Darth Sephiroth
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Sephiroth »

Glimmervoid wrote:1) I mean would a lightsaber go through it. Not which is the better weapon.

3/4) Again I really meant what they would think about the IOM.

5) If you read the vong books you would know that there were no massed stardestroyers until much a long way in to the campaign. And you also must remember the presiding gene stealer infiltration.
1.) yes it would, pieces of power sword hit the ground with glowing ends

3/4.) Empire fakes diplomacy and then takes over, he likes the worlds as they are and decides to control the Empire that way (possibly). The Republic finds the IOM barbaric, but attempts diplomacy but gets conquered

5.) If your going straight NJO, then the universe is fucked, but if the Empire is still in charge, you have someone with at least low level precog and a love of super weapons. you have medical scanners in most if not all starports to prevent plagues that search for things that are just out of the norm (I assume because Coruscant uses something similar when the Rogues get there)
Need Backup!
My Employer ID is: 29877
See the New Imperium (Please check this out we need people there)
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

A powersword is supposed to be a sword surrounded by energy fields; these won't stop a lightsaber?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Advanced power swords are just the energy field without a material blade. A power sword will probably survive brief contact with a lightsaber just fine.

A Jedi is completely outgunned by a powerful psyker. An alpha plus level psyker can shred a small army. A powerful eldar psyker would reduce Yoda to a grease spot.

Although their ground forces have near parity, Star Wars is vastly more powerful in space and has much, much faster FTL. These rather overwhelming advantages sink 40k powers.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Err. Power Swords cut through metal just fine, and block each other. Dark Age of Technology Power Swords sometimes were lightsabers (with a different name) though they had something of a blade shape. These still exist in inquisiton service. There is even a picture (page 177) in the Inquisitor book of such a weapon parrying a demon sword. It is absoloutely unwarranted to claim that a lightsaber is superior.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Glimmervoid
Jedi Master

Post by Glimmervoid »

Darth Sephiroth wrote: 5.) If your going straight NJO, then the universe is fucked, but if the Empire is still in charge, you have someone with at least low level precog and a love of super weapons. you have medical scanners in most if not all starports to prevent plagues that search for things that are just out of the norm (I assume because Coruscant uses something similar when the Rogues get there)
Yes this is NJO that’s why I said like the vong did.

On to bio scanners. Yes they can make them but the NJO made it clear that they have gotten lacks. The vong against were able to infiltrate the new republic and were only effetely controlled when "mouse" droids with scanners on them were used. But they would be introduce to late (the tyranids are instead of the vong) because gene stealer up rising are sudden things. Yes the tactic would only work a few times but that’s a few key worlds (fleets and all) gone and controlled by tyranids.
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

your also forgetting all those little chaos-plagues, courtesy of Nurgle.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Imperial Overlord wrote:A Jedi is completely outgunned by a powerful psyker. An alpha plus level psyker can shred a small army. A powerful eldar psyker would reduce Yoda to a grease spot.
It's more a matter of commonality. Palpatine and a few other Sith Lords acheived truly wankish levels of power(Force Storms to shred fleets, detonating stars), but they are less common thank Alpha-levels.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I'd think it's irrelevant if a powersword can block a lightsabre: Sergeant Smith is not going to be defeating Jedi with his bloody sword.

Automatic sprays from plasmapistols, maybe. :)
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Stark wrote:Automatic sprays from plasmapistols, maybe. :)
No, no, bad idea, very bad idea! Automatic firing plasma pistols = them exploding. :wink:

Now, Inferno pistols OTOH are fine for all your automatic heretic burninating needs. :twisted:
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Really? I thought pistols got +2 close because of 'spray 'n' pray'. I'm out of date, however. Third edition nonsense, and all that.
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Stark wrote:Really? I thought pistols got +2 close because of 'spray 'n' pray'. I'm out of date, however. Third edition nonsense, and all that.
Dunno about that, but rapid-firing a plasma pistol isn't a bright move: given that you're firing energy bolts/beams hotter than a star's core, not allowing cool-down time is Very Bad Thing (TM).
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Stark wrote:Really? I thought pistols got +2 close because of 'spray 'n' pray'. I'm out of date, however. Third edition nonsense, and all that.
4th Edition. ;)

Pistols fire twice if you don't move or assault, and that does include plasma weapons. Unfortunately for the wielder, double fire means double heat. I vaped my command squad's veteran sergeant and plasma gunner like that just a couple weeks ago. I'm in the process of replacing them with meltagun models.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

JediNeophyte wrote: 4th Edition. ;)

Pistols fire twice if you don't move or assault, and that does include plasma weapons. Unfortunately for the wielder, double fire means double heat. I vaped my command squad's veteran sergeant and plasma gunner like that just a couple weeks ago. I'm in the process of replacing them with meltagun models.

Fourth edition eh? Thats what I get for not playing since 1998. I hope they moved away from the 'simple and lame' rules they introduced with the new Codices.

And SIGH why can't GW just make a straight computer implementation of their damn rules? I'd hate to see how much bookeeping heat tracking adds to the game.

But damn if talking about it doesn't make me want to dusk off my ex-Necromunda IG platoon. :)
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I'd hate to see how much bookeeping heat tracking adds to the game.
Nothing like BattleTech or anything. It's simple: for any "Gets Hot!" weapon like plasma guns, the number of dice rolled = number required for an overheat. e.g., If you fire twice in one round of shooting, a 2 or lower on any of the dice are a wound taken on the firer.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

JediNeophyte wrote: Nothing like BattleTech or anything. It's simple: for any "Gets Hot!" weapon like plasma guns, the number of dice rolled = number required for an overheat. e.g., If you fire twice in one round of shooting, a 2 or lower on any of the dice are a wound taken on the firer.
Cool so you never have to track it at all. That system suggests several different varieties of each class of 'gets hot' weapon. But anyway, back to the OP :)

I think the tyranids would conduct business as usual until the galactic government was aware of them, and then their fleet would be smashed and they'd be reduced to a mildly annoying pest. I'm not sure they'd ever be able to properly get rid of them, though.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

SirNitram wrote:
Imperial Overlord wrote:A Jedi is completely outgunned by a powerful psyker. An alpha plus level psyker can shred a small army. A powerful eldar psyker would reduce Yoda to a grease spot.
It's more a matter of commonality. Palpatine and a few other Sith Lords acheived truly wankish levels of power(Force Storms to shred fleets, detonating stars), but they are less common thank Alpha-levels.
Yes, C-level canon of dubious authority. In the movies they generate no where near that kind of power.

The star detonating incidents were done by a Sith weapon built into a starship.

None of these equal the power of the Emperor. Their are more alpha level psykers in the Imperium of Man than their are Jedi in the Republic.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

To be honest, the chaos gods are more of a threat than the IoM. As soon as the entire Sol system is destroyed, the IoM loses a) Emperor b) Mars c)most/all tech records. The Empire could just sit back and watch chaos eat all the humans.

Course, I can't really see the GE surviving chaos. Not those stupid drooling chaos marines, the gods. Jedi aren't going to do squat to them, and then we've got chaos Star Destroyers, chaos TIEs, etc. Which is actually kinda cool.
technomage
Padawan Learner

Post by technomage »

The image I get from the movies is that they are a low-power era. Much of what once was is long lost.

The Jedi Order is a pale shadow of what it once was, and the Sith... Only two?
"Mother, implement Case Omega."
-the last time Colin MacIntyre gives an order without thinking it through.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
SirNitram wrote:
Yes, C-level canon of dubious authority. In the movies they generate no where near that kind of power.

The star detonating incidents were done by a Sith weapon built into a starship.

None of these equal the power of the Emperor. Their are more alpha level psykers in the Imperium of Man than their are Jedi in the Republic.
And where was I discussing the Jedi vs. a God, exactly? Put the red herring down. It's canon they can do this. And my post was entirely about the fact Alpha's are plentiful and super-Force wielders are not. So was there a point to this? :roll:
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

My apologies, I interpreted your post (with its omission that it was a weapon that destroyed the stars and its use of EU Palpatine wankery) as an attempt to establish equality of power between force users and psykers.

Naming the most powerful few force users and comparing them to much more common alpha plus level psykers isn't comparing the top levels of psychic power in 40k. It seemed to be a slippery assertation. Again, my apoligies if I misinterpreted your post.

Sidious and Yoda are obviously powerful, but they don't demonstrate anything higher than beta level power in the movies.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Imperial Overlord wrote:My apologies, I interpreted your post (with its omission that it was a weapon that destroyed the stars and its use of EU Palpatine wankery) as an attempt to establish equality of power between force users and psykers.

Naming the most powerful few force users and comparing them to much more common alpha plus level psykers isn't comparing the top levels of psychic power in 40k. It seemed to be a slippery assertation. Again, my apoligies if I misinterpreted your post.

Sidious and Yoda are obviously powerful, but they don't demonstrate anything higher than beta level power in the movies.
And in the full canon, they demonstrate alot more. Don't pull TOWNMBS bullshit on me. It does not entertain.

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

I'm not sure what you mean by TOWMNBS, but I think I get your drift. Even if full EU wankery mode, 40K psykers are generally stronger than force users. That Palpatine and few others can be wanked into alpha plus league doesn't change that.