Games, their rankings?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Robert Treder wrote:
Iceberg wrote:Whipping out your lightsaber and going bug fucking nuts on a whole bar full of thugs is soooooooooo satisfying, though... ;)
Very true. It's just a shame that you had to wait until like the eighth mission to be able to do that, though.
I've played through the bar scene so many times. ;) It's a great way to relieve stress.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

I've played through the bar scene so many times. ;) It's a great way to relieve stress.
hehe, I can relate. If you like sabre on sabre combat and you need a real stress reliever, check out the Ladder: http://www.jediknightii.net/files/index ... =file&id=7

Actually, it doesn't really relieve too much stress, but it's addicting as hell.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
BlueExcalibur
Redshirt

Post by BlueExcalibur »

Some of the game stories would be good. TIE Fighter is a good example. It doesn't really touch on the movies too much, so not much is contradicted in the story anyway. Same with both Jedi Knight games.

Also, a good stress reliever with JKII is the demo level. Sure, you don;t have all your force powers, but you get the kill stormtroopers as well as lightsaber combat.
"I have all the answers, but I never said they were right."
"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." -Gandalf
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

The problem is that we never hear of the events in the games in the books. DE got more credibility in my eyes because it is in the books.
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

David wrote:The problem is that we never hear of the events in the games in the books. DE got more credibility in my eyes because it is in the books.
The fourth mission of X-Wing was referenced in Rogue Squadron. (The mission where the player has to protect the medical frigate and the corvette Korlev against the Imperial frigate Warspite.)

According to LucasFilm's policy at http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc ... 10817.html, "game material" has "room for interpretation." Especially when we keep in mind that "a video game has to take an interactive approach that favors gameplay."

So the part that makes gameplay fun is what can be discarded. I mean, I don't think anyone thinks that Kyle Katarn can take multiple blaster hits to the head, or that he infiltrated multiple Imperial bases in Dark Forces and completely sanitized them all (well, that's what I did)... or that he can carry all those weapons in a tiny backpack.

But the overall idea and storyline is valid. Kyle did retrieve the plans and send them off to be transmitted elsewhere (X-Wing shows further steps the plans went through to reach the Rebellion), but I find it far more likely that he kept a low profile while in the Imperial base. And he stopped the Dark Trooper project, but was most likely a lot less reckless than I was...
Last edited by Mad on 2002-07-05 02:05pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

So basically, the gameplay is non-canon, but the events and things are official?
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Yes. Wich is cool, what are those mech like robots?
They kick ass.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

I haven't played it yet, except on my friends computer.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

"Games are cannon but they are at the bottom of a long list, starting with the movies."

What the hell? The games are apochryphal; always have been. They're neither canon nor official.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Uhm, no, I don't believe that is true.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

"Uhm, no, I don't believe that is true."

My bad, I checked the canon policy ages ago and apparently I misremembered.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe