TGOD?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

TGOD?

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Well, a thread about donuts and softdrinks has turned TGOD, I guess (although not really a duel, just random fights involving knifes, shotguns, and nuclear weapons). Too bad it's on Testing forum, which would be pretty short-lived :( . So is TGOD allowed here, in other forums than Testing? (probably OT?) Either way, I guess I'm gonna save the thread pages.

Note: It's not STGOD which I could never figure out how to play. Someone pls enlighten me.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: TGOD?

Post by Elheru Aran »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:Well, a thread about donuts and softdrinks has turned TGOD, I guess (although not really a duel, just random fights involving knifes, shotguns, and nuclear weapons). Too bad it's on Testing forum, which would be pretty short-lived :( . So is TGOD allowed here, in other forums than Testing? (probably OT?) Either way, I guess I'm gonna save the thread pages.

Note: It's not STGOD which I could never figure out how to play. Someone pls enlighten me.
Not allowed, afaik, due to spammy potential. Most TGOD's in Testing never go further than two-three pages.

STGOD= Structured TGOD. Rules, that kind of thing; you've gotta build your forces from scratch and explain them, and make sure they fall within the rules allowed. If you break the rules in a move, or one of the players doesn't like, a majority vote can overrule your move.

Technically, there are some rules for TGODs as well-- generally, no crazy outrageous feats, no omnipotents (I think) that kind of thing, and the majority overrule is also there. Most of the time people just ignore the rules, though; if they get "killed" they just either evade it or regenerate later.

Pretty much anything goes, really... as you've undoubtedly observed... :P
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

what i want to know is, what did we call TGOD's back in 'the good old days'? hmmm? :wink:
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

And how the hell do you get into a STGOD? Doy you wait til a new one pops up and get on it in a snap or else you're out? Or what?
Jedi Council Member

Elheru Aran wrote: Not allowed, afaik, due to spammy potential. Most TGOD's in Testing never go further than two-three pages.
Well, just when the fun gets started... :(

Elheru Aran wrote: STGOD= Structured TGOD. Rules, that kind of thing; you've gotta build your forces from scratch and explain them, and make sure they fall within the rules allowed. If you break the rules in a move, or one of the players doesn't like, a majority vote can overrule your move.
Well, my first question: how do we make sure our forces fall within the rules? I mean, in RPG you have some quantitative references like the side of the dice, the experience threshold to raise level, etc.

The next, how do we "maneuver" our forces? Is there some kind of map or "spatial" reference? How about speed? Possibility for ambush/interception? Etc?

And when a battle ensues, how do we decide which side takes initiative? Is there any kind of "dexterity" points like D&D? How about modifiers?

Elheru Aran wrote: Technically, there are some rules for TGODs as well-- generally, no crazy outrageous feats, no omnipotents (I think) that kind of thing, and the majority overrule is also there.
So I guess I just break the rules by destroying Earth with my DeathStar... :twisted:

Elheru Aran wrote: Most of the time people just ignore the rules, though; if they get "killed" they just either evade it or regenerate later.
And that's where creativity comes into equation. Of course there's no way in hell we could decide a winner, but oh, the hilarity!

Elheru Aran wrote: Pretty much anything goes, really... as you've undoubtedly observed... :P
:twisted: I :twisted: knew :twisted:
Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2005-02-17 01:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jedi Council Member

Col. Crackpot wrote:what i want to know is, what did we call TGOD's back in 'the good old days'? hmmm? :wink:
Probably because we like to play such "creative killing" when we were kids? I remember playing one (verbally) with my brother when I was five. Or was it six?

Damn. There's something inside me that refuses to grow up, y'know!
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:So I guess I just break the rules by destroying Earth with my DeathStar... :twisted:
Pfft, the destruction of the earth is a COMMON thing that happens in TGODs.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Jedi Council Member

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:And how the hell do you get into a STGOD? Doy you wait til a new one pops up and get on it in a snap or else you're out? Or what?
That's my question too. Is STGOD campaign dynamic? Like multiplayer Quake when you can jump into any game in progress? Or does it require certain degree of setup so it has to be static? Like any multiplayer RTS?
Jedi Council Member

Captain Cyran wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:So I guess I just break the rules by destroying Earth with my DeathStar... :twisted:
Well, then I'm waiting for you on Testing Forum with my Infinity Gauntlet.... :twisted: :wink:
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Captain Cyran wrote:
Well, then I'm waiting for you on Testing Forum with my Infinity Gauntlet.... :twisted: :wink:
Usually my first action in any TGOD is to blow up Earth.
Jedi Council Member

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Captain Cyran wrote: Pfft, the destruction of the earth is a COMMON thing that happens in TGODs.
Usually my first action in any TGOD is to blow up Earth.
Blow up Earth? Aw, come on! You do know what the Infinity Gauntlet can do, don't you? I mean, just ask Thanos!
Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2005-02-17 05:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

About the STGOD, check in the G&C, STGOD Main Game, and pick up, its really free-form, with more focus on Real Politik then on any kind of stats.

Just look at that, and the OOB, and get the general idea.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
entfern
Padawan Learner

Post by entfern »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:Well, a thread about donuts and softdrinks has turned TGOD
Can someone please enlighten a n00b as to what that means/is?
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

Pardon my overwhelming ignorance, but what does TGOD and STGOD stand for? I get the general idea of what they are (some sort of violent roleplaying, with STGODs involving militaries), but I don't know what the acronyms stand for. I believe I've unknowingly participated in TGODs and STGODs quite a bit back in the good old days of my IRG clan. We'd have pages and pages of story/roleplaying. Those were quite fun. :P
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Col. Crackpot wrote:what i want to know is, what did we call TGOD's back in 'the good old days'? hmmm? :wink:
Debating creatively. 8)
JADAFETWA
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Moving to Testing or G&C in 10...9...8...

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:And how the hell do you get into a STGOD? Doy you wait til a new one pops up and get on it in a snap or else you're out? Or what?
Talk to the (STGOD) moderator(s), start one, hop on board when a new thread is starting up, etc. Pretty easy, not like they're some secret clan that's violently opposed to all outsiders, silencing any who- oops, I've said too much. I've tried several times to get in on them, in the end I just never have the time. The first one I joined eventually petered out after not too long (SDnet STGOD2, I think), the second was a Napoleonic type thing that didn't get past two pages, and I just didn't have the time, sadly, for the 40k one which seems to still be going strong.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

Why are they called "The Good Old Days" if they have nothing to do with "The Good Old Days"? :?
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

IRG CommandoJoe wrote:Why are they called "The Good Old Days" if they have nothing to do with "The Good Old Days"? :?
Because you touch yourself at night. :P

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

IRG CommandoJoe wrote:Why are they called "The Good Old Days" if they have nothing to do with "The Good Old Days"? :?
It's an old ASVS reference where people remembered "The Good Old Days" where people would do things like that in a more or less unnamed fashion.
Petrosjko
Sith Acolyte

Post by Petrosjko »

JediNeophyte wrote:Talk to the (STGOD) moderator(s), start one, hop on board when a new thread is starting up, etc. Pretty easy, not like they're some secret clan that's violently opposed to all outsiders, silencing any who- oops, I've said too much. I've tried several times to get in on them, in the end I just never have the time. The first one I joined eventually petered out after not too long (SDnet STGOD2, I think), the second was a Napoleonic type thing that didn't get past two pages, and I just didn't have the time, sadly, for the 40k one which seems to still be going strong.
I'm tellin' ya, man, it's not going as fast as it used to. No more 'five hundred posts in a single night', nowadays. Everybody's hit scheduling situations that have dropped it down to twenty posts a day or so, when rushed. You're welcome back at any time.

Edit- Twenty posts between all players, that is, not by each player.
Jedi Council Member

For fellow STGOD-impaired people (including me :oops: ) what if we start a "starter" STGOD, with, uh, simpler rules and less statistics than existing ones? I mean, the abundance of fleet strength numbers and the likes are pretty intimidating.

Anyway, here's some questions for the vets: since STGOD are mostly focused on diplomacy, what is the "winning" condition? Or actually there ain't any? Also, after browsing some STGOD threads (albeit briefly), I failed to find any quantitative references like those on RPG. So there ain't actually no numbers or what? How do we resolve combat, or maybe diplomacy? Is there some kind of dice roll and/or modifier for that purpose?

Thx!
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Off to Gaming we go.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:For fellow STGOD-impaired people (including me :oops: ) what if we start a "starter" STGOD, with, uh, simpler rules and less statistics than existing ones? I mean, the abundance of fleet strength numbers and the likes are pretty intimidating.

Anyway, here's some questions for the vets: since STGOD are mostly focused on diplomacy, what is the "winning" condition? Or actually there ain't any? Also, after browsing some STGOD threads (albeit briefly), I failed to find any quantitative references like those on RPG. So there ain't actually no numbers or what? How do we resolve combat, or maybe diplomacy? Is there some kind of dice roll and/or modifier for that purpose?

Thx!
Its usually generally agreed that everything has a power level in the same general vicinity. Those of us who are reasonable can work things out between ourselves can usually come to a fairly amicable resolution to conflict. Those who don't play ball, and try to God-mode their way through while dictating their opponents actions get slapped down by the mods, and usually annoy everyone enough that a coalition comes around to squish their power and divvy up its assets.

Its possible to be ostracised from participation, but it requires heroic repeated feats of annoyance. The only person here currently excluded to the best of my knowledge is lazerus
Jedi Council Member

consequences wrote: Its usually generally agreed that everything has a power level in the same general vicinity. Those of us who are reasonable can work things out between ourselves can usually come to a fairly amicable resolution to conflict. Those who don't play ball, and try to God-mode their way through while dictating their opponents actions get slapped down by the mods, and usually annoy everyone enough that a coalition comes around to squish their power and divvy up its assets.

Its possible to be ostracised from participation, but it requires heroic repeated feats of annoyance. The only person here currently excluded to the best of my knowledge is lazerus
Alright, thanks! Guess I'm gonna' search for examples of conflict resolution.