Favorite classical music

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Favorite classical music

Post by Ace Pace »

I was wondering what people's favorite classical music is, seeing the Opera thread got many replies.

I don't really have specific faviorates, but enjoy alot, esspecially when I can never remember the names.

Which brings another question to mind: Is it legal to download classical music?
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Zaia
Inamorata

Re: Favorite classical music

Post by Zaia »

Ace Pace wrote:Which brings another question to mind: Is it legal to download classical music?
No. To my knowledge, public domain doesn't stretch that far. Symphony orchestras, soloists, etc. all own the rights to their versions of the pieces, whether or not that piece is public domain.

Some of my faves, some of which isn't technically 'classical' but is what you mean by that word: Suites 1 and 4 for cello by J.S. Bach, 'Symphonie Fantastique' by H. Berlioz, 'Scheherazade' by N. Rimsky-Korsakov, 'Pathetique Symphony (No. 6)' and 'Cappricio Italien' by P.I. Tchaikovsky, almost anything by Chopin (but specifically his nocturnes), 'Adagio for Strings' by S. Barber, 'A Set of Songs' by Amy Beech (so she's quite a while after the classical period--nah nah, sue me), Beethoven's later string quartets (most of them are horribly depressing but they're absolutely gorgeous), Mahler's Symphonies 1 and 6, Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2, Orff's 'Carmina Burana,' Dvorak's New World Symphony (either No. 5 or No. 9 depending on how old the publication is), Symphony No. 1 by J. Brahms, Verdi's 'Requiem,' Mozart's 'Requiem' (especially the Lacrimosa), Ravel's 'Bolero,' Satie's piano stuff is great too...

I'm forgetting some.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

That kinda sucks, since music here is horribly expensive even above the standerd overblown prices.

thanks for the massive list :P though isn't Motzart's requiem Opera? if not I would have just stuck it in as my all time favorite.
sketerpot
Jedi Council Member

Post by sketerpot »

My favorite is Vivaldi's The Four Seasons. That's some great music, really pleasant to listen to.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

No, it's not opera. Just because a piece contains chorus does not automatically mean it's opera.

And you can poke around and try to find sites that let you download stuff legally, because there *might* be a handful of orchestras out there who give away their stuff for free in the name of educating people about classical music, but...not very likely, I'm afraid.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Zaia wrote:No, it's not opera. Just because a piece contains chorus does not automatically mean it's opera.

And you can poke around and try to find sites that let you download stuff legally, because there *might* be a handful of orchestras out there who give away their stuff for free in the name of educating people about classical music, but...not very likely, I'm afraid.
:cry: Tickets here to concerts cost so much, thanks for the advice, i'll try google.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Maybe I'll make you a CD and send it to you, then. Wouldn't want to deprive an eager student of music. ;-)
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Zaia wrote:Maybe I'll make you a CD and send it to you, then. Wouldn't want to deprive an eager student of music. ;-)
You want to pay the 25$ shipping to the mid east? :D
EDIT: or shall I do it? :wink:
Last edited by Ace Pace on 2004-11-14 01:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

*shrugs* Talk to me about it after all my Christmas shopping's done. :D
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Zaia wrote:*shrugs* Talk to me about it after all my Christmas shopping's done. :D
We'll see then :wink: though by then I hope to get my parents to do for me some Hanukah shopping for good music.
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

Solo string instrumental, for me, specifically Bach's Cello Suites. Yeah, I'm a sucker for those. But chamber music is nice, too (e.g., Brandenburg Concertos).
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Aquatain
Padawan Learner

Post by Aquatain »

Samuel Barber ~ Adagio for strings.
There Lives More Faith In Honest Doubt,Belive Me,Than In Half The Creeds. ~ Alfred Lord Tennyson.

"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

I like the Brandenburg concertos, Holst's "Planets", the Four Seasons by Vivaldi and much more...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Host's Mars the bringer of war is a great tune, but mp3 versions of it tend to be quiet, including the one i ripped from my own classics cd.

Prokofiev's romeo and juliet is great.

Mozart's requiem as already noted.

Bach, Vivaldi, Wagner are all good "old skool" musicians :P.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee
Location: 6 hr 45 min R.A. and -16 degrees 43 minutes declination

Post by Sir Sirius »

Vivaldi would probably be my favourite composer, I especially like the Four Seasons... I also like Tchaikovsky and Sibelius, but I don't really have any particular favourites. I just listen to what happens to suit my fancy at the moment.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Non opera:

Baroque:

Vivaldi - The four seasons
Bach- Brandenburger Konzerte
Charpentier - Te Deum

Classical:
Mozart - Symphonie Nr. 40
Haydn - Symphonie Nr. 94, 103

Romantic:
Strauss Sn - Radetzky March
Strauss Jr - Kaiserwaltzer, Du und Du, Donauwalzer
Lehar- Geld und Silber

Opera:

Salieri - La secchia rapita
Salieri - La passione di nostro signore Gesu Christo
Salieri - La cifra
Verdi - Rigoletto
Mozart - La nocche di figaro
Mozart - Die zauberflöte
Strauss - Die Fledermaus
Lehar - Die lustige Witwe
Offenbach - Orphee aux enfers

Just to name a few

EDIT: I recommend the new album by Anna Netrebko. It is great.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Schiller's Ode to Joy and Pachbel's Canon.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Wagner - Ride of The Valkyries.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

Here is one site that gives free downloads of piano performances by Dimitris Sgouros:

Excellent piano music.

I've found some of my best piano recordings at this site. And it's legal to download. :D I highly recommend the Liszt pieces. In your face, Zaia! :P

Also, I found another site that links to free downloads of MP3s at amazon.com:

Free classical music is always good.

Oooooohhhh.....I just found an amazing website:

http://www.classiccat.net/

Klassische musik über alles! Heil klassische musik! :P

Yep, I'm a classical music whore.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
bohemianfey
Jedi Master
Location: Love wench in SDnet's polygonal - sex based reltionship

Post by bohemianfey »

Beethoven's 6th is my favourite, followed by Vivaldi's Four Seasons, and basically all of Brahms stuff. Gesang auf Fingal by Brahms is my absolute favourite favourite choir song ever. I've got a lot of random collection albums that I listen to that have various artists and all of that, so I'll look at those and see what's there.
| GALE | Society of Sisters: No Boys Allowed | Keepers of the Lore | Mecha Maniacs | The Rat Pack: Frank "Blue Eyes" Sinatra | Minister of Sexy | ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!! |
"I give into sin because I like to practice what I preach."
Boyish-Tigerlilly
Sith Devotee

Post by Boyish-Tigerlilly »

I tend not to like too much music from the classical period; I must prefer the Boroque period or the Romantic. I like Wanger, Vivaldi, Tchaikofsky.
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

Boyish-Tigerlilly wrote:I like Wanger, Vivaldi, Tchaikofsky.
Huh huh huh. You said "wang." Huh huh huh. :P
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
bohemianfey
Jedi Master
Location: Love wench in SDnet's polygonal - sex based reltionship

Post by bohemianfey »

Boyish-Tigerlilly wrote:I tend not to like too much music from the classical period; I must prefer the Boroque period or the Romantic. I like Wanger, Vivaldi, Tchaikofsky.
The only problem about the Baroque period is that is spawned Neo-baroque shit like Randall Thompson.
| GALE | Society of Sisters: No Boys Allowed | Keepers of the Lore | Mecha Maniacs | The Rat Pack: Frank "Blue Eyes" Sinatra | Minister of Sexy | ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!! |
"I give into sin because I like to practice what I preach."
President Sharky
Jedi Knight

Post by President Sharky »

Ludwig Van Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 "Eroica", Symphony No. 5, Symphony No. 9 "Choral", Symphony No. 7, Piano Concerto No. 5 "Emperor", Violin Concerto

Pyotr Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 4, Symphony No. 5, Symphony No. 6 "Pathetique", Violin Concerto in D, Piano Concerto No. 1, Romeo and Juliette Fantasy Overture, Cappricio Italien

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection", Symphony No. 1, Symphony No. 5

Johannes Brahms: Violin Concerto in D, Symphony No. 1, Symphony No. 4, Academic Festival Overture

Johann S. Bach: Brandenburg Concerti, Orchestral Suites, Violin Concerto in A Minor, "Sheep May Safely Graze"

Other: Dimitri Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5, Symphony No. 9; Felix Mendelsohn: Violin Concerto in E Minor; Antonin Dvorak: Symphony No. 8, Symphony No. 9 "From the New World".
The Cleric
BANNED

Post by The Cleric »

Gandalf wrote:Wagner - Ride of The Valkyries.
Especially in Apocalypse Now when the helicopters come over the trees and settle down over the river. Gives me a chill every time.
{} Thrawn wins. Any questions? {} Great Dolphin Conspiracy {} Proud member of the defunct SEGNOR {} Enjoy the rythmic hip thrusts {} In my past life I was either Vlad the Impaler or Katsushika Hokusai {}