Going to make a SW Turn Based Naval Combat Game

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Lex
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lex »

Star Wars: Galactic Batlegrounds was a great game...a pitty that u could only use ground troops...
As long there is gravity, ride on...
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

Typhonis 1 wrote:Ever play Knight Hawks for Star Frontiers?
Nope. Never even heard of it.

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Kill your God!
Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

I have KnightHawks
Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

could someone go to www.popcap.com and try their Seven Seas game? the Mac version requires 10.1 and I cant install the PC version at home.

oh, and let me know how it goes?

thanks
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Cyberboard is now the official SW:GNB engine!

Post by MKSheppard »

Mucho thanks to Aaron for suggesting Cyberboard....until then I had
never even heard of it!

Anyway, now with the limitation of being restricted to a 6 by 6 foot playing
area gone, due to Cyberboard's electronic hexmap, I've decided to go with
50,000 kilometer wide hexes for the "strategic" battle map....which means
that the distance from the earth to the moon will be 7.8 hexes (rounded
up to 8 for simplicity)
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Still means th pityable Federation only has weapons with a ranf\ge of six hexes unlss they wanna try firing there torps from 8 million klicks away.which the imps could easily intercept
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
MKSheppard

Strategic Layer

Post by MKSheppard »

Image of the board that will be used to keep track of "campaign" game
information, such as victory points earned, and Salvage points earned...etc
etc...that you can use to buy new craft...and increase your ship's crew status
to veteran, etc
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Right, so its Multiplayer, no AI?

Once your done Can we get a Sd.net campain/ladder going.

P.s. Need another playtester?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

NecronLord wrote:Right, so its Multiplayer, no AI?

Well, it's no AI, and you'll have to measure the distances between
the combatants, and manually mark off damage to your ships, but
It will work...

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

MKSheppard wrote:
NecronLord wrote:Right, so its Multiplayer, no AI?

Well, it's no AI, and you'll have to measure the distances between
the combatants, and manually mark off damage to your ships, but
It will work...
Neat, things that are needed;

Stackable, of course

a ship display window for record keeping

and further along

The ability to export an import fleets, and long term Play by email
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

you know that sounds a bit like a computer-based Battlefleet Gothic SW conversion...
I like it. :D
Supermod
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I noticed, only if its play by e-mail, on SD.net, I'll have far more people as opponents.

I was thinking about that, how about these as missions?

one cruiser clash = stright up nothing special fight
two The bait = one ship fleeing draws enemy fleet into a trap type affair
three the raiders = says it all
Four surprise attack = ditto
five blockade run
six convoy
plantery assault (take planet intact)
escalating engagement
Exterminatus (replace with BDZ)
Fleet Engagement Very large battle

I reccoment assigning planets and things as ships.

I also would like to see the vengance class.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

You could also use the BFG campain rules if ot ends up as I want it to.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

I need someone who can program C to help me do the stand alone
calculation program that will handle the combat math for us......

You'll be using three programs to play this....AIM to transmit moves
"Move my ISD to hex 2211", Cyber Board to display the map, as a
substitue to actually owning micromachine ISDs, and the unnamed
math program to do combat calcs for you..

MKSheppard

ANYONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCE IN NAVAL COMBAT GAMING SPEAK UP!

Post by MKSheppard »

I need to get the dope on how naval combat is resolved in all these
games you talk about....

Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

You can do the calculations in dark BASIC surely? You would only need the basic maths functions which all languages support wouldn't you? It's just a case of programming the rules you've designed for the game.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:You can do the calculations in dark BASIC surely? You would only need the basic maths functions which all languages support wouldn't you? It's just a case of programming the rules you've designed for the game.
Dark basic is a 30 day trial.....and it costs $100 bux.....

Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Hrm so what are you programming the game in? I somehow got the impression you were using dark BASIC. Anyway all languages worthy of the name have support for basic maths, it's just a case of learning the language and then implementing the rules you've designed.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:Hrm so what are you programming the game in? I somehow got the impression you were using dark BASIC. Anyway all languages worthy of the name have support for basic maths, it's just a case of learning the language and then implementing the rules you've designed.
I dunno.......I need to make the rules first.....

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Indeed, How does one calcuate Hit prestanges and whatnot?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Okay, fair enough. What exactly would you be after here though? A GUI app you plug the numbers in to and then get the appropriate results? Something that interfaces with this cyberboard thing? A full fledged game with networking and graphics built in?
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:Okay, fair enough. What exactly would you be after here though? A GUI app you plug the numbers in to and then get the appropriate results? Something that interfaces with this cyberboard thing? A full fledged game with networking and graphics built in?
Well, Generation One is going to be a GUI app where you plug numbers in
and get the approp results.....and then move your little ISDs around
either on a physical map with micromachines, or electronically in Cyberboard.

I really need to take programming courses next semester....

Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Ahh. Visual Basic and Delphi would probably be the best tools for you here then but they are relatively pricey and the free version of delphi no longer seems to be available. You could warez them but that's kinda iffy.

I suppose you could always use forte with java but it's fuckin' slow. There's also JBuilder from Borland but I don't know if it's any good. Java ain't exactly easy for new programmers as well because you have to jump right into OOP.

Oh wait I think the free sharpdevelop IDE has a forms designer now but that need's the .NET SDK which is a fuckin' huge download and only works on NT/2K/XP AND anyone who wants to use what you make needs the .NET runtime which most people don't have yet.

Your choice but it seems to come down to Java Vs. C# based on the GUI tools I know of that are freebies. C++ has abominable GUI tools apart from C++ Builder which is rather pricey.[/url]
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

Something I missed; what is your game scale, hex size and timewise(gameturn length)?

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Kill your God!
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

I noticed, only if its play by e-mail, on SD.net, I'll have far more people as opponents.
hey try to find BFG players in Germany (where I have to import every single ship and that costs lots o' bucks!)
Supermod