The Big One

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Exactly. And its not exactly what I was talking about, but I know the theory.

I wonder how close to earth the nearest "exit" is ;)
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
technomage
Padawan Learner

Post by technomage »

It's been done in other scifi. "Jump points" in Wing Commander and "warp points" in Starfire.

Maybe others as well.
"Mother, implement Case Omega."
-the last time Colin MacIntyre gives an order without thinking it through.
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

technomage wrote:It's been done in other scifi. "Jump points" in Wing Commander and "warp points" in Starfire. Maybe others as well.
This is so. In fact, given a reasonable level of physics, there are only three ways of "doing" interstellar travel allowing for the speed-of-light barrier.

1 - Invent a new technobabble technology that allows a spacedrive to exceed the speed of light. That means something like STs "warp drive" or any of the other similar get-outs.

2 - Assume that there is a physical anomaly out there that we know nothing about (yet) that allows us to hop from one point to another without going through the space between them. That's used in Pournelle's John Christian Falkenburg novels and quite a few others.

3 - Assume multi-generational spacecraft. Heinlein did that in one of his novels.

In fact, Heinlein used all three. Indeed all three have been used quite extensively, so its not a question of "its been done". The problem is one that is plausible enough to write a story around and allows the reader to suspend disbelief. I like the second because my interpretation of it allows for some really interesting situations. The spaceship pops out of a newly-explored hole and their first question is "where the hell are we?"
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Stuart wrote:
Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:Loving the fic. Any idea when High Frontier 4 comes out?
Glad to see its enjoyed. :D High Frontier Four is coming out very soon (sometime this week probably)

I have another story that's coming out also, "Interstellar Highway" set in the TBOverse around 2450. I might start putting that up here in parallel with High Frontier. I'm slow-stepping things at the moment because the precise mechanism of what happens over the next three decades in the TBOverse depends very much on what happens in the election tomorrow (the end result is the same, the way we get there and its effects differ dramatically).
So then a vote for Bush is a vote for NUKEY NUKEY? :wink:
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
technomage
Padawan Learner

Post by technomage »

That wasn't an insult or anything. Just an observation.

Have you ever read the Starfire books?
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

technomage wrote:That wasn't an insult or anything. Just an observation.

I understand, the problem is that the choices for gettinga round the light barrier are so limited. I haven't read any starfire books; I've got most of the Wing Commander stuff though (if you think deconflicting Star Trek is fun, try attempting to make sense out of Wing Commander.............)
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Stuart wrote:
technomage wrote:That wasn't an insult or anything. Just an observation.

I understand, the problem is that the choices for gettinga round the light barrier are so limited. I haven't read any starfire books; I've got most of the Wing Commander stuff though (if you think deconflicting Star Trek is fun, try attempting to make sense out of Wing Commander.............)
dear god is that a canon nightmare! The only thing that the games and books seem to have in common are angry space cats.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
technomage
Padawan Learner

Post by technomage »

I'm not too familiar with Wing Commander, actually. I've played and beaten Prophecy, and the game guide for it has a lot of background, but that's it.

Starfire is a great series because although it isn't hard scifi, it tries to keep the "magic-tech" to a minimum. It's based off of a tactical and strategic space-warfare game system of the same name, and is actually very detailed and consistent. It's also not always a nice universe; every time the peacenik-types got control of the government, another hostile alien race came along and gave Humanity a wake-up call.

I wish Weber and White had written more books in the series.

You can find the background at http://www.starfiredesign.com/starfire/ ... index.html

And that's all I'll say on that. Back to The Big One.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

AWESOME.

What year is it, though?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:What year is it, though?
I would assume shortly after the events of "The Big One", or
around late 1948.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Those pesky Russians and their insider trading :P
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:AWESOME. What year is it, though?
Thank you, thank you very much. Blocking Action is set in 1949. The general picture is that Halifax was arrested immediately after The Big One and the collapse of the German occupation of the UK, tried for treason and executed. Its one of a pair of stories, the other is called "Patron of the Arts" and will deal with Goering's history after TBO until his death, also in 1949.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

The timeline has been updated (see OP for link).
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Possible spoiler:

So, does anyone have any specualtion on who or what the Seer, the Executive Assistants, and the Ambassador actually are? I'm inclined to believe they're aliens, myself--it's clear at this point they're not completely human.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

It's an awesome serious of stories, I finished The Big One last night and I've plowed through most of The Great Game today. I'm definitely hooked now. Though it is a shame we didn't get much during the heyday of the B-52, though the Mach-3 Tomcat does make up for it.

Stuart, I hope you decide to hang around here. And if I might ask, do you have any plans to write the Battle of the Orkneys? I'm intrigued by the tidbits you've given us.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Stormbringer wrote:It's an awesome serious of stories, I finished The Big One last night and I've plowed through most of The Great Game today. I'm definitely hooked now. Though it is a shame we didn't get much during the heyday of the B-52, though the Mach-3 Tomcat does make up for it.

Stuart, I hope you decide to hang around here. And if I might ask, do you have any plans to write the Battle of the Orkneys? I'm intrigued by the tidbits you've given us.
I doubt such a story would be very interesting. A thousand plus American carrier aircraft crushing a relatively small surface task group of a fleet known for relatively poor anti aircraft guns, deck armor and torpedo defence systems tends to be like that.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Stormbringer wrote:It's an awesome serious of stories, I finished The Big One last night and I've plowed through most of The Great Game today. I'm definitely hooked now. Though it is a shame we didn't get much during the heyday of the B-52, though the Mach-3 Tomcat does make up for it. Stuart, I hope you decide to hang around here. And if I might ask, do you have any plans to write the Battle of the Orkneys? I'm intrigued by the tidbits you've given us.
I haven't a plan to do the Battle of the Orkneys at the moment; as Sea Skimmer points out, its a pitiless slaughter of an almost defenseless opponent. The original intent of mentioning was an implied illustration of just how ruthless the Americans in the TBOverse are. They've decided they are going to remove Nazi Germany from the map and nothing is going to get in their way.

One of the out-shoots of the reception from "Blocking Action" is that I might do the story of Britian between the Halifax-Butler coup in 1940 and the end of the Great Escape sometime soon. This was originally planned as a prequel to TBO, got postponed in favor of "The Great Game" but is getting to be more interesting again. The other story I have in hand at the moment is "Interstellar Highway" based around a SAC deep space bomber named "Showgirl". I may put that one up here first.

Many thanks for the kind words and encouragement. They really are much appreciated.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Deep space bomber? Who would the SAC be bombing in deep space? :shock: Aliens?
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Col. Crackpot wrote:Deep space bomber? Who would the SAC be bombing in deep space? Aliens?
In a manner of speaking :twisted:. In 2450, the difference between the Navy and the Air Force is that the AF birds (planetary defense and SAC) are based on planets and operate from the surface while the Navy stay in space and operate from carriers etc. SAC tend to do exploration since their bombers are better suited to it, being small, strongly built and heavily-armed. They find an interstellar portal, go through it to see where it goes and then, if its a worthwhile one, the Navy and colony ships follow through. Assuming the portal is big enough of course.

If a shoot-out starts, SAC's job is to find enemy bases, infrastructure and resources and destroy them while Planetary Defense (the descendent of NORAD) prevents other people from doing the same to humans.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Well, I have just finished reading The Big One, and I must say that it ranks among the greatest alt hist works ever written. Truly a great read, and I'm glad that there is more stuff set in the universe, because its simply too interesting to abandon.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Stuart wrote:I haven't a plan to do the Battle of the Orkneys at the moment; as Sea Skimmer points out, its a pitiless slaughter of an almost defenseless opponent. The original intent of mentioning was an implied illustration of just how ruthless the Americans in the TBOverse are. They've decided they are going to remove Nazi Germany from the map and nothing is going to get in their way.
That might well be true, but I've read some stories that have made even one sided slaughters interesting. I forget what it was, but I had read a great account of some of the suicide sorties of the Japanese navy and those were equally one sided. It does have potential if some one does it right. But it's your universe and I certainly don't presume to dictate what you write.
Stuart wrote:One of the out-shoots of the reception from "Blocking Action" is that I might do the story of Britian between the Halifax-Butler coup in 1940 and the end of the Great Escape sometime soon. This was originally planned as a prequel to TBO, got postponed in favor of "The Great Game" but is getting to be more interesting again. The other story I have in hand at the moment is "Interstellar Highway" based around a SAC deep space bomber named "Showgirl". I may put that one up here first.
Just my thought, but I'd love to see Occupied England. And the Atlantic Dash would be a truly classic moment of naval daring.
Stuart wrote:Many thanks for the kind words and encouragement. They really are much appreciated.
You're welcome. And the stories are much appreciated, hope to have lots more to read.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Read the 2 chapters of The Sun set behind a Mountain. No offense to Stuart, but I thought it was even better than The Big One. It was perfect.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

fgalkin wrote:Read the 2 chapters of The Sun set behind a Mountain. No offense to Stuart, but I thought it was even better than The Big One. It was perfect.
No offense taken at all; The Sun Sets Behind A Mountain is indeed a splendid piece of work, one which I was very glad to read and enjoy. Sadly, I don't think it will extend beyond the two parts already available and I have no idea how the author intended the story to develop so I can't take it over and finish it. I can't even pick up any of the characters for additional development :( .
There is just a vague chance I suppose the story could be continued here; I do deeply hope that will happen.