[Barton]The Federation is NOT Communist.

Only now, at the end, do you understand.

Moderator: Moderators

TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Darth Wong wrote: Every ship has a "counsellor" who serves the purpose of identifying personnel who are misbehaving, and who can be sent off to the same kinds of "re-education centres" that Kasidy Yates was sent to.
"Re-education centre", she referred to it as prison, as did Sisko, Jake and just about everybody else so tell me, where do you get the term "re-education centre" and when has the counsellor acted like a political officer?
And what was her crime, by the way? Ferrying weapons to the Maquis?
Aiding and abetting a terrorist organisation.
People who live outside Federation territory?
Some do and some do not, the DMZ comprises both federation and Cardassian planets.
What business does the Federation have imprisoning people for ferrying weapons outside Federation territory to the Maquis who are also outside of Federation territory?
She was a Federation citizen for a start, she was ferrying medical supplies (not weapons) to a terrorist organisation which was operating inside Federation space.

Imagine a British citizen was supplying aid and comfort to members of an Islamic terrorist organisation which was based in Britain and intended to carry out attacks in the US.

Britain would take action (I can't say the US would given their lacklustre approach to the IRA, however I imagine they have modified their position of late) as would most other countries.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

I am still working with the idea as the Federation as a sort of "NATO" or "UN" rather than an all encompasing government. It would make more sense, and solve certain problems. The Federation seems to allow members autonomy (I don't remember the episode where Picard says this, correct me if I am wrong). So perhaps the Federation is more a military protectorate rather than an overriding government, except on Earth, where the Federation is the government.
My view is that the Federation most resembles the EU rather than the US or the UN (and the Federation isn't solely military so that rules NATO out).
Bellator
Padawan Learner

Post by Bellator »

All of the best schools are in Starfleet, not civilian life. All of the top doctors and scientists work for Starfleet.
That's a bold claim, one that you should back up. Especcially considering since we've seen other (top) schools, institutions and scientist mentioned who weren't Starfleet in various occasions.
Why is it, in 14 years of TNG, DS9, and even VOY, do we get only ONE reference to an elected official, and the details of which are vague and diminutive?
Voyager was lightyears away from home, with little to no contact. And Enterprise during a good number of the TNG days was a ship "out there" on the frontiers. DS9 itself was in Bajoran space, it wasn't even in the Federation. It tends to reason that because they were all removed from the Federation's heartland, that the domestic politics of the Federation didn't mean that much to them. This is also demonstrated by the fact that only a relatively small number of episodes in any of the three mentioned series really takes place at the heart of the Federation.
since ENT does not exist in any kind of self-consistent reality with the other series.
For canon's sake, it does. sadly. and we're regretting every minute of it.
If it's all canon, then Star Trek heavily contradicts itself and one cannot say with any certainty what is and is not true in that universe.
different accounts of the same historical events? differences of the meaning of the concept "first contact"? historical exajurations that could explain Geordie's claim about a catastrophic first contact with the Klingons and decades of strife? on-show characters (even Spock!) erring when talking about historic events or dates? It sucks, we all know that. But sadly, thanks to B&B and Paramount: Enterprise exists in the ST TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY universe, and Enterprise is canon. We just have to live with it, and try to find ways to explain all the moronic continuity fuck-ups. Ignoring them in these arguments, however much we may want to, we simply cannot do.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Bellator wrote:
All of the best schools are in Starfleet, not civilian life. All of the top doctors and scientists work for Starfleet.
That's a bold claim, one that you should back up. Especcially considering since we've seen other (top) schools, institutions and scientist mentioned who weren't Starfleet in various occasions.
If you'd bother to read his canon database (I'm guessing its Darth Wong you're replying to) you can read the entries from the canon novel 'Mosaic', which clearly differentiate between civilian schooling and starfleet schooling, with the latter being viewed as more prominent.

The episode "Birthright" shows us that Bashir had ambitions of a literary nature in regards to Data's operation, and the publication he hoped to present his findings to was called "The Starfleet Cybernetics Journal." We're being generous, and assuming that Bashir would send his work to the pre-eminent publication on the field. He doesn't consider an alternative, or voice one.
You wrote:
I wrote:Why is it, in 14 years of TNG, DS9, and even VOY, do we get only ONE reference to an elected official, and the details of which are vague and diminutive?
Voyager was lightyears away from home, with little to no contact.
If it were up to me, I wouldn't even count it, just TNG and DS9. It doesn't matter, 14 years with VOY or 12 years if it's just TNG and DS9.
And Enterprise during a good number of the TNG days was a ship "out there" on the frontiers.
And Enterprise is a parallel universe that bears little resemblance to the established timeline of the TOS/TNG/DS9 route. Remember First Contact?
DS9 itself was in Bajoran space, it wasn't even in the Federation.
Iraq isn't in the United States, yet over a hundred thousand US military personnel are currently stationed there. Do they vote? Or talk about politics? Or receive visits from their commander-in-chief? Sorry, I should probably rephrase to A visit from their CinC. ;)

The point is, the Bajoran sector's remoteness doesn't matter because they can communicate relatively quickly with Earth, and the remoteness isn't that bad since the 'front' during the war was implied as being close to the Core sectors of the UFP.
It tends to reason that because they were all removed from the Federation's heartland, that the domestic politics of the Federation didn't mean that much to them.
Rubbish. Picard is on deep space patrol, he gets a Code 47 from a good friend, he warps over to an abandoned mining facility and has a impromptu meeting with three other starship captains, who tell him that the Federation and Starfleet is rotting from the inside thanks to some sort of conspiracy. His friend later dies, shortly after relaying this information. Based on the testimony of a friend and circumstantial evidence at best, he chose to warp directly to Earth to confront the people Walker Keel intimated were the architects of this conspiracy.

Think about that, for a second. Domestic issues don't matter to the characters?

Ok, what about when the conference between the RSE and the UFP was bombed by changeling terrorists? At that point people cared a great deal about domestic issues, including a vapid and uninspiring exchange between the dipshits Bashir and O'Brien (uh huh, show you care by speaking in a fake accent of a time you've never been to, after spending time in a holosuite). Sisko went to Earth with Odo to demonstrate proposals for increasing security. There's also the time Sisko first encountered the Maquis, wherein he criticised the government for their stance towards them. What about the time the Jem'hadar and the Dominion were encountered? He spent weeks getting debriefed by SFC, and reactivating the Defiant project. Domestic issues matter a great deal to the characters. The episode where the Enterprise returned to Earth because Wesley was involved in that flight accident at the Academy?
You wrote:
since ENT does not exist in any kind of self-consistent reality with the other series.
For canon's sake, it does. sadly. and we're regretting every minute of it.
It does not logically fit and ought to be considered an alternate reality to the original timeline, for reasons that are hopefully clear.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

TheDarkling wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:You mean THREE years of pre-revolution Trek, since ENT does not exist in any kind of self-consistent reality with the other series.
TOS probably has more contradictions with TNG than Ent has with TNG,
Bollicks. It is THE ORIGINAL SERIES, dipshit. If there are inconsistencies, it is WITHIN THE SPIN OFFs! TOS can't contradict TNG and the rest because that would violate causality. ENT on the other hand can violate TOS, TNG, et al because it is the latest show.
Oh right, because no one ever talks politics except the night before an election :roll:
People don't constantly talk politics, if we don't hear them talk about politics in the 0.22% of their lives we see (most of which time they are busy fighting off aliens of stopping the station exploding) then I am not going to be shocked.
An election is a fairly important event in the lives of a Democratic nation's citizenry. Why wouldn't they talk about it, even if in brief exposition? Writers too stupid to write?
Nor is there any indication that democratic elections are a requirement of Federation membership.
Bajor applied for Federation membership and was a democracy (although one with far to much religious influence for my liking), when the Kes attempt to join the Federation Riker lists them being a Democracy as a good (even necessary thing).
Riker is full of shit. Your quote makes no mention of Democracy being good or favourable, but mitigating. It doesn't matter, because in a backhanded swat across their faces he calls thems "friendly, but driven by suspicion, deviousness, and paranoia."

He also says they're not ready for membership.
The evidence certainly points in the direction of the Federation being a democracy of at least some stripe.
A democracy... without elections. Where the citizens don't vote. Where there is no prominent equivalent of a FOX News or BBC to tell us about news from the Core sectors.

Meanwhile they call prisons 'rehabilitation colonies', government owned infrastructure is in abundance, and no capitalism is seen on a large scale appropriate to a star-spanning nation-state.
Back to the issue of the total absence of journalistic curiosity and protests during the global blackout and subsequent coup on Earth, your answers amount to nothing more than hand-waving.
How so?

We see 45 minutes of Earth after the blackout, of which we follow Sisko for most of it.
And yet B5 manages to put in ISN at key moments. We see the ISN broadcast centre at Geneva invaded by Clark's goonsquad in "Severed Dreams," the entire sequence is maybe a minute long. 14 years of Star Trek, and we don't see that.
As for protests, why would there be any?

The entire power grid goes down and the “troops” are deployed, why would that engender protests?
Because they enforce a curfew which would restrict the citizen's movements. This will create discontent and may engender protests - particularly when the FedNewsNet reports how a rogue Admiral Leyton attempted a coup. Oopsie, none of that now...
especially from Federations citizens who are laid back beyond all reason and don’t see Starfleet as a threatening organisation.
Yeah, which is so perfectly normal. :roll:
He went off about the freedom of the press, why should he believe the Dominion would honour such if the Federation doesn't?
Because he's an idiot? Or as Weyoun put it, naive. Or he was inexperienced. Maybe he read it in history class one day and assumed it was the same in his time. But nevermind the fact that Starfleet completely controls the Subspace Relay Network and can kill or listen in on any signal that uses it.
TheDarkling wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:Every ship has a "counsellor" who serves the purpose of identifying personnel who are misbehaving, and who can be sent off to the same kinds of "re-education centres" that Kasidy Yates was sent to.
"Re-education centre", she referred to it as prison, as did Sisko, Jake and just about everybody else so tell me, where do you get the term "re-education centre" and when has the counsellor acted like a political officer?
Is the term 'rehabilitation colony' or centre so much more different than 'reeducation'?
And what was her crime, by the way? Ferrying weapons to the Maquis?
Aiding and abetting a terrorist organisation.
Who's grievance was between the Cardassians and themselves, not the Federation. Picard gave a nice speech to a bunch of Federation colonists who chose to live under Cardassian rule than be relocated to a Federation held world.
People who live outside Federation territory?
Some do and some do not, the DMZ comprises both federation and Cardassian planets.
Except the Maquis colonies fall under Cardassian jurisdiction, which is the whole point of their grievance.
What business does the Federation have imprisoning people for ferrying weapons outside Federation territory to the Maquis who are also outside of Federation territory?
She was a Federation citizen for a start, she was ferrying medical supplies (not weapons) to a terrorist organisation which was operating inside Federation space.
Outside, actually.
Imagine a British citizen was supplying aid and comfort to members of an Islamic terrorist organisation which was based in Britain and intended to carry out attacks in the US.
Imagine a British citizen who was supplying aid and comfort to a guerilla group operating in some world hotspot, who's significance is totally irrelevant to the UK, as the country in question has no dealings with them and you would have an accurate analogy.
Britain would take action (I can't say the US would given their lacklustre approach to the IRA, however I imagine they have modified their position of late) as would most other countries.
You mean like they take action in former colonial possessions, like India and Pakistan? Oh wait...
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

TheDarkling wrote:My view is that the Federation most resembles the EU rather than the US or the UN (and the Federation isn't solely military so that rules NATO out).
EU = UFP

NATO = SFC
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Stofsk wrote: If you'd bother to read his canon database (I'm guessing its Darth Wong you're replying to) you can read the entries from the canon novel 'Mosaic', which clearly differentiate between civilian schooling and starfleet schooling, with the latter being viewed as more prominent.
In Janeway’s biased opinion and given her rather dubious judgement.

She considers "Starfleet schools" to be superior because they don't teach cooking for heavens sake.
The episode "Birthright" shows us that Bashir had ambitions of a literary nature in regards to Data's operation, and the publication he hoped to present his findings to was called "The Starfleet Cybernetics Journal." We're being generous, and assuming that Bashir would send his work to the pre-eminent publication on the field. He doesn't consider an alternative, or voice one.
Maybe Cybernetics is a field Starfleet excels in, the two foremost experts on cybernetics are in Starfleet after all (even if we don't count Crusher and Geordi who are rather well versed in Soong type androids) plus that Admiral who was able to assist Data with Lal.

Dr Soong seemed to consider Data’s choice to be in Starfleet as a divergence from true science, would that be so if all the smart people automatically went into Starfleet?
And Enterprise is a parallel universe that bears little resemblance to the established timeline of the TOS/TNG/DS9 route. Remember First Contact?
The events in first contact are referred in Voyager, so I find it doubtful Ent is an alternate universe.
Iraq isn't in the United States, yet over a hundred thousand US military personnel are currently stationed there. Do they vote? Or talk about politics? Or receive visits from their commander-in-chief? Sorry, I should probably rephrase to A visit from their CinC. Wink
During the first three years of TNG the UFP was engaged in a war with the Cardassians, we got not one peep about that, if we don't see enough to find out about an active and on going war why does it surprise you we don't see enough to hear about politics?
Apparently the Cardassian war didn't matter to them or, we just don't see enough of them.
Domestic issues matter a great deal to the characters. The episode where the Enterprise returned to Earth because Wesley was involved in that flight accident at the Academy?
The Enterprise was already on its way back to Earth because Picard was giving he commencement address.

The question to be asked about the characters isn't whether domestic issues matter, it is whether they matter so much that they should figure prominently in the 0.22% of their years we see, when they are engaged in other activities.
For example we didn't even know Keiko existed before she first appeared yet Data was apparently good friends with her and had introduced her to the chief.
We got no information about the upcoming wedding until just a day before and so on....

When looking at Trek we must be realistic in taking into account the viewpoint and time factors involved in what we see on screen.
You wrote: It does not logically fit and ought to be considered an alternate reality to the original timeline, for reasons that are hopefully clear.
It logically fits about as much as the rest of Trek does.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

TheDarkling wrote:In Janeway’s biased opinion and given her rather dubious judgement.
I never said Janeway wasn't an idiot. But her being an idiot doesn't detract from the issue.

Pre-Starfleet schools focus their curriculum for Starfleet experience. She said as much. She may be an idiot, but this was exposition not the character's thoughts and feelings. The Institute she wanted to attend would give her quality education, and it would also coincide with Starfleet attendance.
She considers "Starfleet schools" to be superior because they don't teach cooking for heavens sake.
No she considers the Institute superior because it will help her with a possible chance at Starfleet entry. She was griping about 'traditional' studies, not schooling.
Maybe Cybernetics is a field Starfleet excels in, the two foremost experts on cybernetics are in Starfleet after all (even if we don't count Crusher and Geordi who are rather well versed in Soong type androids) plus that Admiral who was able to assist Data with Lal.
Cybernetics is a field a military organisation excels in.
Dr Soong seemed to consider Data’s choice to be in Starfleet as a divergence from true science, would that be so if all the smart people automatically went into Starfleet?
Soong isn't exactly the most social of humans. I wouldn't be surprised if he thought society was an unnecessary divergence from true science.
The events in first contact are referred in Voyager, so I find it doubtful Ent is an alternate universe.
And timetravel affects the timeline.
During the first three years of TNG the UFP was engaged in a war with the Cardassians, we got not one peep about that, if we don't see enough to find out about an active and on going war why does it surprise you we don't see enough to hear about politics?
It DOESN'T surprise me, I fully expect this because it fits the pattern of a communist state controlling such things as the media, communication and publication, public relations and perceptions, and so on.
Apparently the Cardassian war didn't matter to them or, we just don't see enough of them.
Can't read? State-to-state warfare is a foreign affairs issue, not a domestic one.
The Enterprise was already on its way back to Earth because Picard was giving he commencement address.

The question to be asked about the characters isn't whether domestic issues matter, it is whether they matter so much that they should figure prominently in the 0.22% of their years we see, when they are engaged in other activities.

For example we didn't even know Keiko existed before she first appeared yet Data was apparently good friends with her and had introduced her to the chief. We got no information about the upcoming wedding until just a day before and so on....

When looking at Trek we must be realistic in taking into account the viewpoint and time factors involved in what we see on screen.
Bad writers then. If B5 can do it in a minute then ST has no excuse. You'll note that the EA in B5 is comfortably established as a Democracy and a capitalist state, and they had 5 years. TNG and DS9 has 12. Put VOY on top and they had 14. They couldn't take time out of showing us another Michael Westmore latex bumcrack face alien first contact episode to throw in a line about the UFP's elections? Why wasn't this exchange written between Dax telling Sisko:

"Don't forget to vote Benjamin."
"I don't want to vote Old Man, Enyo is soft on Defence while Leyton is a little too nuts even for me."
"Wasn't he your former CO?" asked Dax.
"Yes, and what you hear on the FedNet about him being a hero is bullshit."

Heh, Star Trek's equivalent of a Swiftboat Veteran's affair. :D
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Stofsk wrote: Bollicks. It is THE ORIGINAL SERIES, dipshit. If there are inconsistencies, it is WITHIN THE SPIN OFFs! TOS can't contradict TNG and the rest because that would violate causality. ENT on the other hand can violate TOS, TNG, et al because it is the latest show.
That in no way dispute what I said, the fact that TOS has contradiction with regard to TNG is a statement of fact, I did not say TNG overrules TOS only that when the two are taking together there are more contradictions than when Ent and TNG are taken together.
TOS disagrees with itself on more than one occasion anyway.
You have missed the point or chose to dodge it, try again.
An election is a fairly important event in the lives of a Democratic nation's citizenry. Why wouldn't they talk about it, even if in brief exposition? Writers too stupid to write?
It probably isn't that the writers are too stupid to write it (they are more than likely assuming the Federation is a democracy anyway), only that they set about doing their episode and it never occurs to them to put in such background, unless it is necessary for the episode.
But again that is beside the point, not taking about an election during 0.22% of your time when you are engaged in other activities is not that extreme, I know people I have know for years and I have never discuses politics with them.
Riker is full of shit.
Well that turns me around on the entire issue.
Your quote makes no mention of Democracy being good or favourable, but mitigating.
Democracy is clearly mentioned in a favourable light.
It doesn't matter, because in a backhanded swat across their faces he calls thems "friendly, but driven by suspicion, deviousness, and paranoia."
Which isn't relevant, are you deliberately flailing about to try and dig something up with which to rebut, if you are I suggest you try and look at the evidence from a neutral standpoint, not "how can I defeat this".
How is that relevant?
A democracy... without elections.
They have elections of some form because the President is elected.

Bajor has elections and seeks to join the UFP.

You are stating not proving (which would be difficult for you I guess since you have obviously started with your conclusion and worked backwards).
Where the citizens don't vote.
You have nothing to indicate that whereas I have at least circumstantial evidence pointing in the direction that they do.
Where there is no prominent equivalent of a FOX News or BBC to tell us about news from the Core sectors.
The FNS would be an equivalent to the BBC.

That is four for four, came to go for more?
Meanwhile they call prisons 'rehabilitation colonies',
A non Federation citizen called it that.

The Feds refer to them as prisons or penal settlements, however the Federation putting its emphasise on rehabilitation is hardly surprising given their views but it is nothing more sinister than renaming the Department of War, The Department of Defence.

The fact that people would rather go to these Federation prisons would indicate they can't be all that bad.
government owned infrastructure is in abundance,
Which is proof of nothing.
and no capitalism is seen on a large scale appropriate to a star-spanning nation-state.
No bathrooms are seen either.

We have seen capitalism, we have seen corporations, and we have seen people paying for things.
We have not seen a lot of this because of our viewpoint.
And yet B5 manages to put in ISN at key moments. We see the ISN broadcast centre at Geneva invaded by Clark's goonsquad in "Severed Dreams," the entire sequence is maybe a minute long. 14 years of Star Trek, and we don't see that.
We see ISN countless times during B5, it is part of the storyline and features in a number of episodes.

We do know the Federation has a news service, we just never see it.
Because they enforce a curfew which would restrict the citizen's movements. This will create discontent and may engender protests - particularly when the FedNewsNet reports how a rogue Admiral Leyton attempted a coup. Oopsie, none of that now...
We don't really see Earth after Leyton steps down, if anybody found out about it which we have no proof of and the troops were withdrawn after Leyton stood down anyway.
Yeah, which is so perfectly normal. :roll:
Some social progress is possible in 200 years, not being threatened by pyjama wearing guys who don't even think themselves soldiers and are more likely to try to teach you Latin than frisk you isn't that much of a stretch.
Because he's an idiot? Or as Weyoun put it, naive.
Maybe but one would expect Jake to know something about eth people he works for and whether they are constantly censoring peoples work.
Or he was inexperienced. Maybe he read it in history class one day and assumed it was the same in his time.
That is damn thin and you know it.
But nevermind the fact that Starfleet completely controls the Subspace Relay Network and can kill or listen in on any signal that uses it.
Most governments can listen in on what they want/intercept mail and so on, In also need not remind you that Britain used to have state owned telecommunications and mail services and many European countries still do.
Is the term 'rehabilitation colony' or centre so much more different than 'reeducation'?
Yes, in theory modern prisoners should be rehabilitated as well (and some European countries go to great lengths to make their prisons do this as a primary function).
All it is is a bit of PR re-labelling and it isn't even official, the official term is Penal Settlement and most people just say prison.

You are trying to put a negative connotation on things because you wish to further your conclusion (something about evil pinkos I believe) without having any real reason to do so.

If these prisons are so good at rewiring peoples buys I have to wonder why Eddington wasn’t a happy member of the Federation again when Sisko took him out on a joy ride or why Paris wasn’t remade into a straight arrow.
Who's grievance was between the Cardassians and themselves, not the Federation. Picard gave a nice speech to a bunch of Federation colonists who chose to live under Cardassian rule than be relocated to a Federation held world.
There quarrel may have been with the Cardassians but the federation wouldn't turn a blind eye to terrorists operating in its territory, which is the correct decision to make.
Except the Maquis colonies fall under Cardassian jurisdiction, which is the whole point of their grievance.
I'm afraid you are once again wrong.

Some were annoyed at being under Cardassian control, other just took up arms because the Cardies had supplied their colonists in the DMZ with weapons who were then attacking the Feddies in the zone.

The DMZ has four types of colony in it, Cardassian under Cardassian control, Cardassians under Federation control, Federation under Cardassian control and Federation under Federation control.

Now whilst you may think it ok for one nation to turn a blind eye to its citizens helping blow up people in other nations, I disagree and I would think more than the odd person in New York of Belfast would agree with me.
Outside, actually.
Wrong, the DMZ includes Federation space.
DS9 is under Federation jurisdiction and the Maquis stole Federation property from there (and planted sabotage devices there).
Ro Larren and her friends crossed into Federation space soon after the Marquis came into actions, they attacked Federation transports in the zone... and so on and so forth.
Imagine a British citizen who was supplying aid and comfort to a guerilla group operating in some world hotspot, who's significance is totally irrelevant to the UK, as the country in question has no dealings with them and you would have an accurate analogy.
Only if I held warped view of the Maquis, the Federation and the Cardassians.

The Federation had a desire for peace with the Cardassians, obeys the rule of law and at least tries to honour its treaty obligations.

With that said I would still hope my government would bring such people (as in your woefully flawed analogy) to account and they would certainly agree in principle even if they didn’t make it a priority.
You mean like they take action in former colonial possessions, like India and Pakistan? Oh wait...
Britain has taken action in former colonial possessions (Sierra Leone for example) however the DMZ still held colonies under Federation jurisdiction and the Maquis were conducting operations in federation space..
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

The same business the United States had getting rid of the Taliban outside of U.S. territory for supplying, funding, and sheltering al Qaeda, which was also outside of U.S. territory.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Rogue 9 wrote:
The same business the United States had getting rid of the Taliban outside of U.S. territory for supplying, funding, and sheltering al Qaeda, which was also outside of U.S. territory.
The Marqui were fighting a oppressive government that was hostile to the Federation. Are we saying the US would prosecute rebels in North Korea? Say, ex-US Army personel waging a war behind enemy lines? I *BET* they would. :lol:

If the Marqui were fighting allies or neutrals, like Roms or Klingons, you'd have a point; but the Cardies were much more hostile and could have invaded at any time. They even planned to in that 'lets hide in the corrosive nebula' episode.

I think we're running into a problem with the poor depth of Star Trek; as people say, shows as diverse as B5, Firefly, even fucking BUFFY have more background info on governments, economy, etc. Star Trek doesn't. Without such information, we can't do more than conjecture. Amusingly, while the Fed has done some pretty awful things, even to its own people (many of which have been discussed in this thread), the very lack of background means we don't know WHY they did it or HOW that affected the people of the Fed. I wish there'd been a FEDNEWS expose on the whole Insurrection debacle; but doubtless no non-military personel well EVER mention it.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Stofsk wrote: I never said Janeway wasn't an idiot. But her being an idiot doesn't detract from the issue.
No but it does have bearing on her the validity of her internal monologue.
Pre-Starfleet schools focus their curriculum for Starfleet experience. She said as much. She may be an idiot, but this was exposition not the character's thoughts and feelings. The Institute she wanted to attend would give her quality education, and it would also coincide with Starfleet attendance.
And as I already said, I wouldn't be surprised if there were schools that had an expanded version of the summer school course Nog wanted to go on but that doesn't make those schools better than other schools except in Janeway’s eyes because they are more suited to her tastes and would help her in her chosen career.

Picard didn't attend such a school and was still able to get into the academy (second time lucky) and he is regarded as something of an intellectual.
No she considers the Institute superior because it will help her with a possible chance at Starfleet entry. She was griping about 'traditional' studies, not schooling.
A school helping her chances of getting into Starfleet doesn't make that school better just better for Janeway, the implication being derived from those quotes is that Starfleet feeder schools are of a higher quality than regular schools.

If you don't believe that then I have no quarrel with you on the issue, if you do then you haven't soon why you think that interpretation is correct (in fact you have agreed with the opposite conclusion).
Cybernetics is a field a military organisation excels in.
Starfleet is more (or less depending upon your view) than a military organisation, it has very heavy science involvement (to the point where many see it as the organisations primary function).

You shouldn't really need that explaining to you.
Soong isn't exactly the most social of humans. I wouldn't be surprised if he thought society was an unnecessary divergence from true science.
DATA
What choice of vocation would have
met with your approval?

SOONG
I often hoped you might become
a scientist... perhaps a
cyberneticist.

DATA
To follow in your footsteps, as
it were?

SOONG
I see -- nothing wrong with that.

Clearly the good doctor doesn't consider Starfleet to be the be all and end all of the scientific community (he almost seems to allege they are mutually exclusive, although that is of course incorrect).
And timetravel affects the timeline.
Indeed, but it would also have affected TOS, TNG and DS9. Not just Voyager and Ent, meaning they all live in the same timeline which includes the events of first contact.

If you wish to make a case for Ent being a separate timeline, start another thread and I will be happy to debate it there.
It DOESN'T surprise me, I fully expect this because it fits the pattern of a communist state controlling such things as the media, communication and publication, public relations and perceptions, and so on.
They can't stop people talking to one another so we would expect to see some reference before that of mention of an election.

If you expect the latter when don't you expect the former?
Can't read? State-to-state warfare is a foreign affairs issue, not a domestic one.
Which we would expect to have a higher priority on the flagship of the fleet, no?
Bad writers then.
Not necessarily (although I would agree for different reasons), the show (TNG above all others) is written episodically whereas B5 was heavily controlled by one man who had a vision laid out before he began.

Each episode has 45 minutes to tell a story so people focus on that story without throwing in too much unnecessary colour.
If B5 can do it in a minute then ST has no excuse.
B5 desired to do it, Trek did not.
Although stating JMS > B&B is something of a no brainer.
You'll note that the EA in B5 is comfortably established as a Democracy and a capitalist state, and they had 5 years.
You will note that a significant part of B5 revolved around the politics of Earth and life on the station.

DS9 in its 7 years told us Bajor was a democracy (we had a few elections) and showed us commerce going no, the problem was that DS9 focused on Bajor and not Earth unlike B5.
TNG and DS9 has 12. Put VOY on top and they had 14. They couldn't take time out of showing us another Michael Westmore latex bumcrack face alien first contact episode to throw in a line about the UFP's elections?
I don't care about your whines against the obvious flaws of Star trek, it is entirely beside the point.

If you want to debate the relative merits of Trek and B5 go start another thread on it, this thread was for a discussion of certain points in universe, something which you seem to be back pedalling away form at a startling rate.
Heh, Star Trek's equivalent of a Swiftboat Veteran's affair. :D
How would that serve the story though?

Bajoran elections did serve the story and we had several episodes devoted to them but Federation elections were beside the point and I doubt people in the writers room care about fleshing out the universe especially on a point they probably don't consider an issue.

When we do meet the president they make it clear he is in charge and is elected, not as a point but just because those description come as part of the natural conversation.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Stark wrote:If the Marqui were fighting allies or neutrals, like Roms or Klingons, you'd have a point; but the Cardies were much more hostile and could have invaded at any time. They even planned to in that 'lets hide in the corrosive nebula' episode. [/quote[

The Feds and Cardies were at peace, a peace the Cardies seemed happy with.
even fucking BUFFY have more background info on governments, economy, etc. Star Trek doesn't.
Buffy had the advantage of being set in our world with a few frills tacked on.

That and the fact that it was utterly unbelievable for the most part (the ability of the population of Sunnydale to repress about 60% of their lives is the first red flag).

With that said, Buffy wasn't all that well fleshed out, although Angel did advance that cause abit.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

TheDarkling wrote:That in no way dispute what I said, the fact that TOS has contradiction with regard to TNG is a statement of fact, I did not say TNG overrules TOS
So why bring it up in a discussion that centres around TNG-era ST? :roll:
It probably isn't that the writers are too stupid to write it (they are more than likely assuming the Federation is a democracy anyway),
But it is not, since the writers never deigned to put that subject onto screen.
I know people I have know for years and I have never discuses politics with them.
:roll: I know people I have known for years and I always discuss politics with them. See, I can introduce anecdotal evidence as well.
Your quote makes no mention of Democracy being good or favourable, but mitigating.
Democracy is clearly mentioned in a favourable light.
Know it wasn't. He had a neutral tone and the rest of the quote involved a backhanded insult to the Kesperit. Democracy was an incidentaly point he mentioned which didn't serve as an endearing or mitigating condition in regards to their membership application.
It doesn't matter, because in a backhanded swat across their faces he calls thems "friendly, but driven by suspicion, deviousness, and paranoia."
Which isn't relevant, are you deliberately flailing about to try and dig something up with which to rebut, if you are I suggest you try and look at the evidence from a neutral standpoint, not "how can I defeat this".
I have. It's not my problem you're projecting your own views onto this discussion.
How is that relevant?
They're a democracy, but they're not ready for membership. Connect the dots.
A democracy... without elections.
They have elections of some form because the President is elected.
Through a process that is not shown, in 14 years of the show being on air.
You are stating not proving (which would be difficult for you I guess since you have obviously started with your conclusion and worked backwards).
Your projection onto this debate, not my own.
Where the citizens don't vote.
You have nothing to indicate that whereas I have at least circumstantial evidence pointing in the direction that they do.
14 years on air and not one reference from a character about the need to vote in an upcoming election. Enyo stated he was elected, but not by whom, or under what basis. Was it a popular election? Doesn't look that way if they don't even discuss it on the screen.
The FNS would be an equivalent to the BBC.
Or FOX News. But we wouldn't know, would we, since they never show a news broadcast...
Meanwhile they call prisons 'rehabilitation colonies',
A non Federation citizen called it that.
And a Starfleet Commander didn't correct him.
The Feds refer to them as prisons or penal settlements, however the Federation putting its emphasise on rehabilitation is hardly surprising given their views but it is nothing more sinister than renaming the Department of War, The Department of Defence.
Ah, Orwellian doublespeak is nothing sinister. Ok.
The fact that people would rather go to these Federation prisons would indicate they can't be all that bad.
When the alternative is a Klingon gulag? Anything would be more appealing than that.
government owned infrastructure is in abundance,
Which is proof of nothing.
In your fractured mind, perhaps. Others who are more rational can take all this into context.
and no capitalism is seen on a large scale appropriate to a star-spanning nation-state.
No bathrooms are seen either.
Blatant lie. We see bathrooms in officer cabins in "First Contact" and a few VOY episodes.
We have seen capitalism,
No we have not.
we have seen corporations,
Defunct corporations, or state-owned corporations. Nothing to suggest capitalism.
and we have seen people paying for things.
Guess what, people paid for things in Soviet Russia too. :roll:
We don't really see Earth after Leyton steps down, if anybody found out about it which we have no proof of and the troops were withdrawn after Leyton stood down anyway.
And SFC came within a hair's breadth of waging a civil war. This doesn't garner a protest in your eyes?
Some social progress is possible in 200 years,
To the point where basic human reactions no longer take place. Thanks for reinforcing common Trekkie delusions about reality and human nature.
Maybe but one would expect Jake to know something about eth people he works for and whether they are constantly censoring peoples work.
All of which is irrelevent.
That is damn thin and you know it.
Oh I see, you can speculate and it's unassailable, whereas I do it and I'm skating on thin ice. Nice double standard.
But nevermind the fact that Starfleet completely controls the Subspace Relay Network and can kill or listen in on any signal that uses it.
Most governments can listen in on what they want/intercept mail and so on, In also need not remind you that Britain used to have state owned telecommunications and mail services and many European countries still do.
Most governments need probable cause to do so legitimately, while your constant reminders of Britain's state-owned telecommunications and mail services are irrelevent red herrings, unless you can tell me that Royal Army troopers were stationed at each broadcast centre and mail office, which is what we have in ST.
Yes, in theory modern prisoners should be rehabilitated as well (and some European countries go to great lengths to make their prisons do this as a primary function).
And some criminals are not rehabilitated, but punished. Some criminals can't be rehabilitated, because they're sociopathic or psychopathic and are a threat to society.
All it is is a bit of PR re-labelling and it isn't even official, the official term is Penal Settlement and most people just say prison.
:roll: Because Yranac said it instead of Riker? I didn't hear Riker correct him as he was busy coercing the guy to talk. "Actually my dear fellow, we will be booting your arse down to a Penal colony on Venus, where the heat is considerable as I understand it."
You are trying to put a negative connotation on things because you wish to further your conclusion (something about evil pinkos I believe) without having any real reason to do so.
Yay! Appeals to motive are fun. You're just argumentative because deep down you prefer to live in a ST delusion and you don't consider a Communist Federation to live up to that delusion. Nice logic you have there.
If these prisons are so good at rewiring peoples buys I have to wonder why Eddington wasn’t a happy member of the Federation again when Sisko took him out on a joy ride or why Paris wasn’t remade into a straight arrow.
Funny you should mention that, because Eddington makes a few observations about Federation penal practices. Such as being constantly interviewed by counselors in an effort to probe his mind. And then there's the fact Kassidy Yates spent a year or so in one, and came back feeling ashamed at what she did (delivering medical supplies to a group who had no quarrel with the Federation).
There quarrel may have been with the Cardassians but the federation wouldn't turn a blind eye to terrorists operating in its territory, which is the correct decision to make.
The Maquis were not operating inside Federation territory.
Now whilst you may think it ok for one nation to turn a blind eye to its citizens helping blow up people in other nations, I disagree and I would think more than the odd person in New York of Belfast would agree with me.
The Maquis renounced their Federation citizenship. They're not federation people attacking another state. They're a sub-state organisation that had no grievance to the Federation... until the Federation started persecuting people who were no longer their citizens.
DS9 is under Federation jurisdiction and the Maquis stole Federation property from there (and planted sabotage devices there).
This was after the Federation began to hunt them down as terrorists.
Ro Larren and her friends crossed into Federation space soon after the Marquis came into actions, they attacked Federation transports in the zone... and so on and so forth.
After the Federation began to hunt them down as terrorists.
Only if I held warped view of the Maquis, the Federation and the Cardassians.
Too bad that warped view fits the facts. The Maquis held no grievance with the Federation other than being abandoned by them. Their fight was between the Cardassians. It had nothing to do with the Federation, and by assisting the Cardassians the UFP violated the Prime Directive. Though it might surprise you, this sort of hypocricy comes as no shock from my end.
The Federation had a desire for peace with the Cardassians,
At the expense of its own people.
obeys the rule of law
They violate the PD repeatedly, their most sacred law.
and at least tries to honour its treaty obligations.
Like betraying the Klingon invasion to Dukat. Yep, that's some good honour there. :roll:
With that said I would still hope my government would bring such people (as in your woefully flawed analogy) to account and they would certainly agree in principle even if they didn’t make it a priority.
Because Guerrillas are bad, mmmkay.
Britain has taken action in former colonial possessions (Sierra Leone for example)
And refused to in others (INDIA AND PAKISTAN, for example). It might have something to do with the fact neither India or Pakistan wanted British help.
however the DMZ still held colonies under Federation jurisdiction and the Maquis were conducting operations in federation space.
However, the Maquis were not Federation citizens nor were the colony worlds they inhabited. And their war with the Cardassians did not involve them, as it was a internal matter of the Cardassians.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

TheDarkling wrote:No but it does have bearing on her the validity of her internal monologue.
Let's throw away the book then, because we don't like Janeway and think she's a dumbass.
And as I already said, I wouldn't be surprised if there were schools that had an expanded version of the summer school course Nog wanted to go on but that doesn't make those schools better than other schools except in Janeway’s eyes because they are more suited to her tastes and would help her in her chosen career.
Let's throw away the exposition then because Janeway as motivations.
Picard didn't attend such a school and was still able to get into the academy (second time lucky) and he is regarded as something of an intellectual.
So let's throw away a canon description of Federation education standards.
A school helping her chances of getting into Starfleet doesn't make that school better just better for Janeway, the implication being derived from those quotes is that Starfleet feeder schools are of a higher quality than regular schools.

If you don't believe that then I have no quarrel with you on the issue, if you do then you haven't soon why you think that interpretation is correct (in fact you have agreed with the opposite conclusion).
Mosaic wrote: Each state had such a school geared for a pre-Starfleet Academy curriculum, and created to channel the best and the brightest right to San Francisco...
Sounds like their education is geared towards Starfleet Academy being the most prestigious.
Starfleet is more (or less depending upon your view) than a military organisation, it has very heavy science involvement (to the point where many see it as the organisations primary function).

You shouldn't really need that explaining to you.
SFC is a military organisation, and that is it's prime function. You shouldn't really need that explained to you. And the USM has science departments, and the Pentagon released a paper on the environment, which isn't a traditional security issue. It doesn't change the fact that both SFC and the USM are military organisations and that is their prime function.
They can't stop people talking to one another so we would expect to see some reference before that of mention of an election.

If you expect the latter when don't you expect the former?
What the hell are you talking about? You're the one dead set insistent that the Federation has elections. Show me when a character, civilian or military, voted for Enyo. Or point out the episode where the mechanics of electioneering are shown to us as a plot development.
Which we would expect to have a higher priority on the flagship of the fleet, no?
Picard's an Admiral now? And the Enterprise-D led a battlegroup into battle with the Cardassians? And there is FedNet which had unrestricted coverage over the war and unrestricted broadcasts of its progress? No, no, and no.
If B5 can do it in a minute then ST has no excuse.
B5 desired to do it, Trek did not.
Although stating JMS > B&B is something of a no brainer.
Well we can agree on something, then.
You'll note that the EA in B5 is comfortably established as a Democracy and a capitalist state, and they had 5 years.
You will note that a significant part of B5 revolved around the politics of Earth and life on the station.

DS9 in its 7 years told us Bajor was a democracy (we had a few elections) and showed us commerce going no, the problem was that DS9 focused on Bajor and not Earth unlike B5.
But B5 also had politics from multiple worlds, not just the EA. It still doesn't excuse the show.
I don't care about your whines against the obvious flaws of Star trek, it is entirely beside the point.
Let's praise ST then.
If you want to debate the relative merits of Trek and B5 go start another thread on it, this thread was for a discussion of certain points in universe, something which you seem to be back pedalling away form at a startling rate.
Points of comparison are lost in your eyes, it seems. :roll:
How would that serve the story though?
Maybe because it will help us feel empathy for the Federation and its people by seeing something familiar and recognisable. And we might also have sympathy for the character of Jaresh Enyo, who would be fleshed out beyond the one-dimensional noncharacter he ended up as.
When we do meet the president they make it clear he is in charge and is elected, not as a point but just because those description come as part of the natural conversation.
And it matters not, due to the fact the line itself had no weight behind it. Had the characters voted for him or not, or if it was an issue in a previous episode, then it would matter. Sisko may not have voted for him, but he puts aside his personal feelings on the matter to work with him, because Enyo is the duly-appointed Federation President and he's his boss. But none of this matters to you, so why bother discussing it.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Rogue 9 wrote:
And Al'qaida attacked the USA on 11/9/01. Meanwhile the Maquis had no quarrel with the UFP, and were waging what was essentially a private guerrilla war with an oppressive regime. Nice false analogy.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

TheDarkling wrote:The Feds and Cardies were at peace, a peace the Cardies seemed happy with.
Darkling, as I pointed out it WASN'T a good peace, the Cardies were agitated, the Fed had to send Picard in to detect an Evil Cardie Plot To Sneak Attack them, etc. They were OBVIOUSLY looking for a chance to take more Fed territory. Ther were NOT friends, and the Fed went to great lengths to maintain the entente even with huge provocation from Cardassia, like an attempted invasion. So comparing the Marqui to modern terrorists in Iraq etc is invalid.
TheDarkling wrote:Buffy had the advantage of being set in our world with a few frills tacked on.

That and the fact that it was utterly unbelievable for the most part (the ability of the population of Sunnydale to repress about 60% of their lives is the first red flag).

With that said, Buffy wasn't all that well fleshed out, although Angel did advance that cause abit.
As pointed out earlier, ST has so little background a 30 second scene or a throwaway line would deepen it. Buffys background was stupid, but it was more substantial than the two corridors that make up 80% of the Federation. You have missed the point that a show like Buffy or Firefly (that don't deal with economic or social issues) have more depth from simple character statements and motifs. To my mind, the greatet motif in ST is one of social conformity, because opposing viewpoints (or ANY viewpoints, from civilians) are so lacking. But this was simply an observation and shouldn't be allowed to hijack the thread, sorry :S
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Stofsk wrote: So why bring it up in a discussion that centres around TNG-era ST? :roll:
Ent was said to conflict with other trek and I pointed TOS conflicts with other trek more than Ent.

You caught up now or do I need to draw it in crayon?
But it is not, since the writers never deigned to put that subject onto screen.
It is because all indications point in that direction, only people such as yourself looking to deliberately twist what is going on would reach the conclusion that it isn't a democracy, the writers probably don't even consider it an issue.
:roll: I know people I have known for years and I always discuss politics with them. See, I can introduce anecdotal evidence as well.
Yes, still got to strive for making one damned thing you say relevant (I'm sure you will get there one day), my point (since it seemed to sail over your head like oh so many others) is that no discussing politics isn't impossible of even unusually.

I would not consider it unusually to see politics discussed either so you "evidence" proves nothing which I doubt you realise.
Know it wasn't.
I like variety.
Yes. No. Yes. No. Yes. Know.
He had a neutral tone and the rest of the quote involved a backhanded insult to the Kesperit. Democracy was an incidentaly point he mentioned which didn't serve as an endearing or mitigating condition in regards to their membership application.
Seems perfectly obvious to me but maybe I'm not trying to avoid the obvious enough.

Friendly is a positive factor right?

So whilst they are democratic and "another positive factor" they also have these drawbacks....

If you can't follow that then I can only conclude you are being deliberately opaque.
I have. It's not my problem you're projecting your own views onto this discussion.
I disagree, the fact that I am not blindly swallowing the bilge that constitutes your argument would seem to be your primary problem.
They're a democracy, but they're not ready for membership. Connect the dots.
Comical.

Bajor was a democracy and was on the verge of signing up until they decided otherwise.

You really are reaching now and it is a sad sight indeed, have you no shame?
Through a process that is not shown, in 14 years of the show being on air.
Which is not a rebuttal, concession accepted.

14 years on air and not one reference from a character about the need to vote in an upcoming election. Enyo stated he was elected, but not by whom, or under what basis. Was it a popular election? Doesn't look that way if they don't even discuss it on the screen.
Bajor had discussion of elections and they were fully in compliance with federation rules.
Nobody mentions being unhappy at giving up the right to elect their leaders, democracy is seen in a positive light (despite your feeble attempts to refute such), can't you just retreat when you know you are wrong?
Or FOX News. But we wouldn't know, would we, since they never show a news broadcast...
So you admit the FNS is like the BBC, nice turn around there. Keep it up and you might just look respectable.
And a Starfleet Commander didn't correct him.
It is a colony focused and rehabilitating those within it, what is there to correct?

You just like the term because it sounds Orwellian and so you can engage in nice propagandising.

"It sounds creepy and bad so therefore it is".
Ah, Orwellian doublespeak is nothing sinister. Ok.
So the US is a communist dictatorship, somebody should inform Kerry he is on a fools errand.

You know I would offer you a JCB but you see to be managing to dig a nice hole all by yourself.
When the alternative is a Klingon gulag? Anything would be more appealing than that.
Having my brain washed is not preferable to being ruffed up by some Klingons.
Of course you have no violence such activities take place whereas I have evidence in my corner once again (something of a theme it would seem).
In your fractured mind, perhaps. Others who are more rational can take all this into context.
Context/bias/mind shattering desire, something of a thin line between those for you it would seem.

State owned infrastructure doesn't indicate communism exclusively and thus cannot prove communism.
Blatant lie. We see bathrooms in officer cabins in "First Contact" and a few VOY episodes.
You know what I meant, or maybe you didn't.
Can't say as I care much.
No we have not.
We will agree to disagree I suppose.
Defunct corporations,
You have no proof of that, just that desire again.

We have also seen privately owned Publishing Houses in the federation, privately owned shipping and so on.
Guess what, people paid for things in Soviet Russia too. :roll:
They did, thanks for clearing that up.

That was addressing the idea that money no longer exists as Picard (or Kirk, Janeway, Nog) has said.
And SFC came within a hair's breadth of waging a civil war. This doesn't garner a protest in your eyes?
That is a dodge, why even bother quoting me when you can't maintain even the pretence that you are actually addressing my points?
To the point where basic human reactions no longer take place. Thanks for reinforcing common Trekkie delusions about reality and human nature.
I didn't know it was basic human nature to fear authority figures, many people worship the ground soldier walk.
I am sure those people would like to know how they evolved beyond human nature.

Still a noble effort to straw man my position.
All of which is irrelevent.
I disagree.
Oh I see, you can speculate and it's unassailable, whereas I do it and I'm skating on thin ice. Nice double standard.
I wasn't questioning the fact that you were speculating (although I indicate what backs up my speculation) but the fact that Jake is so simple he doesn’t understand his own time and automatically assumes things in the past still apply in his day (one wonders why he doesn't start demanding cash for services rendered since that used to happen in the past).
Most governments need probable cause to do so legitimately, while your constant reminders of Britain's state-owned telecommunications and mail services are irrelevent red herrings, unless you can tell me that Royal Army troopers were stationed at each broadcast centre and mail office, which is what we have in ST.
Royal Army troopers would have a difficult time, given that Britain doesn't have a "Royal Army" (although various parts of the army are Royal the Army itself is known as the British army).

As for the positioning of troops at the subspace relays, those relays are often out in the middle of nowhere so getting people who can endure long term isolation and are trustworthy is necessary.
I see no problem with Starfleet serving this function since it already serves a fair few others.
There is nothing sinister about it, anymore than if the Federation created the Federation Communications bureau and had their employees doing the work, they could just as easily be used (or misused) if not more easily.
And some criminals are not rehabilitated, but punished. Some criminals can't be rehabilitated, because they're sociopathic or psychopathic and are a threat to society.
Which is true although besides the point.
I take it as such that we agree on this point then, since you offer no challenge of it?
:roll: Because Yranac said it instead of Riker? I didn't hear Riker correct him as he was busy coercing the guy to talk. "Actually my dear fellow, we will be booting your arse down to a Penal colony on Venus, where the heat is considerable as I understand it."
We have the official term and the common usage term, both of which differ from your preferred term.
A term which isn't that bad anyway.
You haven't addressed this but once again done the dodge.

Yay! Appeals to motive are fun.
Well I have to have some fun whilst wading through your non responses.
You're just argumentative because deep down you prefer to live in a ST delusion and you don't consider a Communist Federation to live up to that delusion. Nice logic you have there.
I don't really care if it is communist, if they have eliminated poverty and everybody is happy with the setup (communist or not) then more power to them.
However that doesn't match what we see on screen and that is why I don't agree.
Funny you should mention that, because Eddington makes a few observations about Federation penal practices. Such as being constantly interviewed by counselors in an effort to probe his mind.
It would be more effective when you try these subtle misrepresentation if I didn't have access to the scripts.

EDDINGTON
That's what you do when you're in
prison. Nothing. Just sit back
and wait for the next counseling
session, the next psychological
evaluation, the next
rehabilitation seminar.

He does not say the counsellors are telepathic let alone infer they probe his mind and he more or less rubbishes the entire thing as if it is a bore rather than anything of serious concern.

And then there's the fact Kassidy Yates spent a year or so in one, and came back feeling ashamed at what she did (delivering medical supplies to a group who had no quarrel with the Federation).
You got some evidence of that?
The Maquis were not operating inside Federation territory.
You are wrong.

NECHEYEV
(continuing)
These will be the official
boundaries... you'll notice that
a demilitarized zone has also been
created along the border. Neither
side will be permitted to place
military outposts, conduct fleet
exercises, or station warships
anywhere in the demilitarized
area.

The DMZ encompasses both Federation and Cardassian worlds.

The Marquis also enter Federation space and conduct operations in Federation space on multiple occasion, you are just plain wrong and obviously haven't watched the show or you have chosen to forget that which is inconvenient.
The Maquis renounced their Federation citizenship. They're not federation people attacking another state. They're a sub-state organisation that had no grievance to the Federation... until the Federation started persecuting people who were no longer their citizens.
Not all of them were non Federation citizens and the Marquis had not declared their existences as a separate state.
This was after the Federation began to hunt them down as terrorists.
The Marquis were operating within the DMZ from before they even declared their existence, the DMZ is part Cardassian part Federation, we see them operating just over the border from normal Federation space, meaning they were from the Federation side of the DMZ.
After the Federation began to hunt them down as terrorists.
The Marquis blew up the Bok Nor at a Federation run space station before they are announced their presence, they kidnapped Dukat from a Federation station before they announced their presence, they made themselves a Federation target.

See above for examples before then however if you want to get pedantic, Sisko started hunting them from minute one which meant the two sides were always opposed (since they were operating in federation space since before they existed and went into main Federation space shortly after).
Too bad that warped view fits the facts. The Maquis held no grievance with the Federation other than being abandoned by them. Their fight was between the Cardassians. It had nothing to do with the Federation, and by assisting the Cardassians the UFP violated the Prime Directive. Though it might surprise you, this sort of hypocricy comes as no shock from my end.
Your end being those with a mindless desire to drag the Federation down?
My end being those with an objective viewpoint, the Federation has many flaws, abandoning the colonists was one however fighting the Maquis isn't one of them, they were inside Federation jurisdiction and operated inside Federation space, the Federation had no choice other than to deal with them.

The prime directive can be violated by the President tying his shoelaces at this point so I don't really see that as a shocker (although I would say the matter obviously involved the federation).
At the expense of its own people.
I agree but it isn't relevant and is just a symptom of your desire to "put down" he Federation.
They violate the PD repeatedly, their most sacred law.[/quote[

Individual Captains do on occasion.
Like betraying the Klingon invasion to Dukat. Yep, that's some good honour there. :roll:
The Federation had no treaty with the Klingons at that point and Sisko was operating no his own in an under handed manner.

I personally would have gone with Admiral Pressman and the Phase Cloak as a strong violation of treaties but maybe you missed that.
]
Because Guerrillas are bad, mmmkay.
That would depend on what they were up to, however the government shouldn't harbour those committing illegal acts unless they are fighting against an enemy in our interest (in which case it would be best to help them not ignore them).

Since my country has seen many people die because of "freedom fighters" in Northern Ireland supplied to a large extent by certain communities in the US I have a dim view of countries turning a blind eye (especially for electoral reason as was the case in the US).
And refused to in others (INDIA AND PAKISTAN, for example). It might have something to do with the fact neither India or Pakistan wanted British help.
It might have something to do with the fact that India and Pakistan are to big to be easily strong armed, mores the pity I say.
However, the Maquis were not Federation citizens nor were the colony worlds they inhabited. And their war with the Cardassians did not involve them, as it was a internal matter of the Cardassians.
Inside Federation space, waged by some Federation citizens, inside the Federation half of the DMZ and at a Federation run space station.
Now why would they involve the Federation?
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Stark wrote: Darkling, as I pointed out it WASN'T a good peace, the Cardies were agitated, the Fed had to send Picard in to detect an Evil Cardie Plot To Sneak Attack them, etc. They were OBVIOUSLY looking for a chance to take more Fed territory. Ther were NOT friends, and the Fed went to great lengths to maintain the entente even with huge provocation from Cardassia, like an attempted invasion. So comparing the Marqui to modern terrorists in Iraq etc is invalid.
The incident you are talking about took place before the final peace.

HUDSON
There is no risk, Ben. None. I've
been dealing with the Cardassians
for most of my professional life.
Believe me, the Cardassians are very
happy with what they got out of this
treaty. They're not going to risk
losing all they've gained by sending
forces into the Zone. They're much
too slick for that. If I were you,
I'd be more concerned about security
along the Bajoran border...

Hudson certainly seems to be of the opinion the Cardassians were happy with what they got.

But this was simply an observation and shouldn't be allowed to hijack the thread, sorry :S
No problem, I agree that Trek lacks depth, I'm just not sure Buffy adds that much depth to its universe.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

TheDarkling wrote: The incident you are talking about took place before the final peace.

<snip>

Hudson certainly seems to be of the opinion the Cardassians were happy with what they got.
I thought the peace was much, much earlier, before the Cardassians were even mentioned. Nevermind :)
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Stofsk wrote: Let's throw away the book then, because we don't like Janeway and think she's a dumbass.
I would like (but more because I dislike Jerry Taylor than Janeway) however that wouldn't be fair.
We must however take into account context with what we are being presented with.
Maybe for such simple fellows as yourself that would be the answer but those with some higher reasoning ability can read and put things in context.
So let's throw away a canon description of Federation education standards.
Three response without addressing what I said, you must really be out of answers.
Mosaic wrote: Each state had such a school geared for a pre-Starfleet Academy curriculum, and created to channel the best and the brightest right to San Francisco...
Sounds like their education is geared towards Starfleet Academy being the most prestigious.
Dr Soong would have us believe otherwise, as would the manner civilian experts we see.

Those schools clearly allow those with a desire to get into Starfleet specialisation in what is necessary but that isn't unheard, my old high school has now become a specialist in Arts and Drama (that is what happens when you can only get a pop star as you financial backer I suppose) and other schools are specialist in other areas.
It doesn't mean they are better than other schools or that the persons leaving them must study those fields only that they have a specific bent.

These feeder schools no doubt weed out the best and brightest from their intake and elevate them but it isn't necessary to be in one of those schools to get in and there is no indication that the best and brightest must go to Starfleet other than an interpretation of Janeways biased and flowery language which stands in contrast with what we see in the show.
SFC is a military organisation, and that is it's prime function. You shouldn't really need that explained to you.
Janeway apparently did.
As did Picard and Riker but hey your word overrides canon right.
And the USM has science departments, and the Pentagon released a paper on the environment, which isn't a traditional security issue. It doesn't change the fact that both SFC and the USM are military organisations and that is their prime function.
Canon > You.

Rock IQ > You.
What the hell are you talking about? You're the one dead set insistent that the Federation has elections. Show me when a character, civilian or military, voted for Enyo. Or point out the episode where the mechanics of electioneering are shown to us as a plot development.
Somebody obviously voted for him because he was elected.
We have seen that democ...

Aw hell, just go back and read what I have already said, you haven't addressed anything I have said about the Federation and Democracy yet so I can't be bothered to type it again for you to just ignore it.
Picard's an Admiral now? And the Enterprise-D led a battlegroup into battle with the Cardassians? And there is FedNet which had unrestricted coverage over the war and unrestricted broadcasts of its progress? No, no, and no.
You have no proof of the latter and you damn well know it, you spiralling insanity, while fascinating to watch does not add anything to the debate.
Well we can agree on something, then.
Well of course, I just don't let the fact colour my objectivity like you do.
But B5 also had politics from multiple worlds, not just the EA. It still doesn't excuse the show.
That isn't my interest; it is yours though as you have betrayed your true intentions.
Let's praise ST then.
I'm not interested in that either.
No I got it, which is why I responded to it at the top however you went from a mostly useless comparison to Trek bashing opinion column.
Maybe because it will help us feel empathy for the Federation and its people by seeing something familiar and recognisable. And we might also have sympathy for the character of Jaresh Enyo, who would be fleshed out beyond the one-dimensional noncharacter he ended up as.
He was seen twice and mentioned once outside that, he wasn't a character but a plot vehicle and that was all he was ever intended to be.
And it matters not, due to the fact the line itself had no weight behind it.
It wasn't meant to, it was just a statement of fact (the obvious from the writers point of view who probably didn't give it a second thought).
Had the characters voted for him or not, or if it was an issue in a previous episode, then it would matter.
That would require preplanning the likes of which DS9 never exhibited outside of the main plot points(ironically Voyagers first 4 seasons and Ent’s last season and a bit have done far more in this regard than DS9 did).
Sisko may not have voted for him, but he puts aside his personal feelings on the matter to work with him, because Enyo is the duly-appointed Federation President and he's his boss. But none of this matters to you, so why bother discussing it.
Because it is remotely interesting unlike seeing you dancing avoiding my points.
Sure they could have done that but DS9 never really did anything of that natural, grand sweeping story arcs were ok but minor threads weren't really used all that much.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Stark wrote: I thought the peace was much, much earlier, before the Cardassians were even mentioned. Nevermind :)
There was a peace of sorts in season 3 TNG, the Cardassians continued to mess around (rearming, the attempt on Minos Corva you mentioned) and then in season 7 TNG a final peace was made, swapping the colonies and creating the DMZ.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

TheDarkling wrote:*snip*
I didn't see one thing worthy of rebutting.

You were the one who brought ENT into this discussion, which was concerned exclusively on TNG-era trek. You whinge when people call you on it.

When we don't see FedNet cover the attempted coup, you claim "Irrelevant!"

When we point out state-owned infrastructure, you shoot back that it doesn't prove Communism, as though it's the sum total of the argument. (it isn't) You rebut by throwing in red herrings on British state-owned infrastructure, which as I point out isn't run by the Army. You counter by saying "So what?" :roll: Obviously the difference doesn't register to you.

When Jake bemoans how the Dominion is censoring him, he claims asks about freedom of the press. In itself this is a naive statement, but you take it to mean that he had freedom of the press before; no proof of that.
EDDINGTON
That's what you do when you're in
prison. Nothing. Just sit back
and wait for the next counseling
session, the next psychological
evaluation, the next
rehabilitation seminar.

He does not say the counsellors are telepathic let alone infer they probe his mind and he more or less rubbishes the entire thing as if it is a bore rather than anything of serious concern.
Dumbass, real life counselors and psychiatrists try to probe their patient's mind, but only a delusional Trekkie would infer that to automatically mean telepathy.
You are wrong.

NECHEYEV
(continuing)
These will be the official
boundaries... you'll notice that
a demilitarized zone has also been
created along the border. Neither
side will be permitted to place
military outposts, conduct fleet
exercises, or station warships
anywhere in the demilitarized
area.

The DMZ encompasses both Federation and Cardassian worlds.
Only you could provide a quote of something which doesn't state what you say it does, yet have the temerity to call ME wrong. You'll notice that Necheyev doesn't say the DMZ covers Maquis worlds. Funny, how I said that the Maquis don't operate in Federation space which was correct when they formed.
The Federation had no treaty with the Klingons at that point and Sisko was operating no his own in an under handed manner.
Incorrect. The Khitomer Accords were in effect at the time, and Sisko deliberately betrayed his allies to a people who have been his nation's foes for years. Reading you try to defend his action by somehow saying the UFP had no treaty with the Klingons is laughable and absurd. You've hit rock bottom.
They violate the PD repeatedly, their most sacred law.[/quote
Individual Captains do on occasion.
And Admirals, and top brass, and Federation policy makers, and...
Your end being those with a mindless desire to drag the Federation down?
And the funny thing is you claim that your view is totally objective. Yup. The UFP had no treaty with the Klingons when Sisko betrayed them to Garak and Dukat. :roll:
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

TheDarkling wrote:
Maybe for such simple fellows as yourself that would be the answer but those with some higher reasoning ability can read and put things in context.
You mean what you haven't been doing?
Three response without addressing what I said, you must really be out of answers.
You haven't said anything worthy of rebuttal.
Dr Soong would have us believe otherwise, as would the manner civilian experts we see.
Your continual and purposeful ignoring of the text speaks volumes. Right there, in the book, it says that the state schools of the day exist to channel the best and brightest to the direction of SFA in San Francisco. Your rebuttal amounts to "Um, yeah, we have schools here that do that, specialise in one field." Except they're ALL specialising towards ONE end.
These feeder schools no doubt weed out the best and brightest from their intake and elevate them but it isn't necessary to be in one of those schools to get in and there is no indication that the best and brightest must go to Starfleet other than an interpretation of Janeways biased and flowery language which stands in contrast with what we see in the show.
No it does not, since the text was exposition and can be assumed to exist outside of the character's viewpoint.
And the USM has science departments, and the Pentagon released a paper on the environment, which isn't a traditional security issue. It doesn't change the fact that both SFC and the USM are military organisations and that is their prime function.
Canon > You.

Rock IQ > You.
Doesn't change the fact I'm right.
Somebody obviously voted for him because he was elected.
Except it isn't obvious he was voted in by the people, dipshit, since no popular election was held in 12 years of both TNG and DS9.
Aw hell, just go back and read what I have already said, you haven't addressed anything I have said about the Federation and Democracy yet so I can't be bothered to type it again for you to just ignore it.
You haven't written anything worthy of a rebuttal on the subject.
You have no proof of the latter and you damn well know it, you spiralling insanity, while fascinating to watch does not add anything to the debate.
We don't see it, while Bashir wonders what the Setlik III massacre was, which O'Brien had to tell him personally. Wow, an important event that took place during the war and a field Doctor didn't know about it, besides being a genetically enhanced superman. :roll:
Well of course, I just don't let the fact colour my objectivity like you do.
I wouldn't talk about objectivity if I were you. You haven't displayed much in this or the previous debate.
No I got it, which is why I responded to it at the top however you went from a mostly useless comparison to Trek bashing opinion column.
Because when the writers fuck up and I point it out, it's 'trek bashing'. Riiiiight. :roll:
He was seen twice and mentioned once outside that, he wasn't a character but a plot vehicle and that was all he was ever intended to be.
And Trek writer's don't fuck up.
It wasn't meant to, it was just a statement of fact (the obvious from the writers point of view who probably didn't give it a second thought).
Good for them. If it was weightless, it means nothing.

Your points in this debate have been singularly worthless. Claims that the Federation is Communist are dismissed by a wave of your hand, with the subtext in your words undermining the argument as "Trek bashing." Oh too bad, little fanboy. Keep claiming that you maintain perfect 100% objectivity, I'm sure everyone believes you.
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

Darkling, it is quite obvious that NOTHING short of a hammer and sickle on the wall of the Federation Council would convince you that the Federation is in any way communist. You can't even define what communism is; every attempt to show how the Federation meets Marx's requirements is rebuffed with either vapid appeals to uncertainty or "no true scotsman" fallacies about communism: very convenient since your definition of communism seems to be "whatever the Federation is NOT" in any given situation.
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html