Going to make a SW Turn Based Naval Combat Game

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Going to make a SW Turn Based Naval Combat Game

Post by MKSheppard »

For all of us who wanted Rebellion just for the space battles, but were
pissed that the rest of the game sucked major donkey dick....

I'm going to try and make it a pen-and-paper wargame FIRST, before
I try learning how to program it in......

So what features would you like me to incorporate into the game?

ISD Roll Rates?

Transporters? (just kidding!) :twisted: :twisted:

I'll have to go and get some naval wargames so I know how to model the
stuff right......(shep runs off)
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Re: Going to make a SW Turn Based Naval Combat Game

Post by MKSheppard »

Damn lack of an EDIT button....

Anyway, I decided to simply make a completely new game, because
looking at all the existing PC Wargames out there, I found that SW
in order to be faithfully recreated, needed a LOT more than what
was out there.....

I hope to get this game system to work with ST and also with just
about anything, including the Babylon 5 universe and the Honorverse....
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Which programming language is best?

Post by MKSheppard »

I'm aiming for a TOAW look for the game, with 2D graphics, and I was thinking of learning Visual Basic for this project/game/hobby, and I saw
this package at COMPUSA, called DarkBASIC, and it looked....decent...

What would be the best thing for an absolute n00bie to learn in order
to produce a 2D game?

Laughing Mechanicus
Jedi Knight

Post by Laughing Mechanicus »

When you say "absolute n00bie" what exactly do you mean, any experience with game creation or even game modding or just completely new to it all?
Indie game dev, my website: SlowBladeSystems. Twitter: @slowbladesys
Also officer of the Sunday Simmers, a Steam group for war game and simulation enthusiasts
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I'm in behind Shep.

Where can someone completely new to programming find what he said?
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Oh maaaaaaaaaaaan. That would be cool. I got sick and tired of the Imperial II fire 2 shots every 4 seconds rofl.

Cyaround,
Jason
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

This is a fairly hefty project to try and take on with no experience at all. I'd recommend something like Java using their 2D graphics API, Java is pretty easy to code in and quite powerful. Normally I'd recommend C++ for games but really, this project won't need that and it would make the development a long and torturous experience for you starting with 0 experience.
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

Make it play faster than SFB and with a little more detail than battletech or renegade legion...

Make it so that you can actually complete a scenario oin one evening.

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Kill your God!
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

A real good naval game to get would be Wooden Ships and Iron Men, though I think the company's out of business now. I would also look at air combat wargames, since in some ways the fighters are like WWII/Korea age fighters, just with the ability to attack ships from 360 degrees instead of 180.

Definitely add the ability to adjust the speed of the game. My friend and I are constantly arguing about what speed to run LAN games at, since I prefer more time to think than he does.

Good luck with the programming, I have enough trouble getting Excel to turn out a decent workbook.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Aaron Ash wrote:When you say "absolute n00bie" what exactly do you mean, any experience with game creation or even game modding or just completely new to it all?
When I was a kid I used to program stuff in BASIC from this magazine
on my old tandy, so I'm not a total noobie to programming

I've made mods for XCOM which involved hex editing, etc

But if you mean building a computer game from the ground Up, yes, then
I'm a noobie

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

EmperorMing wrote:Make it play faster than SFB and with a little more detail than battletech or renegade legion...

Make it so that you can actually complete a scenario oin one evening.
I know what you mean. I don't like spending the entire night playing
one little scenario.

I was thinking of doing multiple versions, each with differeing detail levels
from simple to GROGNARDLY.

For example, Simple version has the ISD's firepower expressed
as 110/50 frontal meaning 110 laser and 50 ions....

Complicated version allows you to assign individual TL turrets to a target

It all depends on how much dice rolling you want to spend per turn...

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Can I recommend modding Janes Fleet Command?

Or possibly doing a Harpoon mod? Just for starters.
Lex
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lex »

very good idea...but make sure that u can use the tractor beams...i missed that in rebellion!
As long there is gravity, ride on...
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

If you don't have much programming experience, you can always try a game creation program. This particlular one is quite good, it has it's own programming language which is similar to javascript.
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Lex wrote:very good idea...but make sure that u can use the tractor beams...i missed that in rebellion!
Missed that in Rebellion? How do you mean? You miss using them, or Rebellion missed them? In the later case,

Tractor beams were in Rebellion ...
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
MKSheppard

First Screens From the game......

Post by MKSheppard »

I have gotten these to work in DARKBASIC....

omegaLancer
Jedi Knight

War engine

Post by omegaLancer »

If you are making a turn base game. there may be an easy way to do it without a lot of programing.. There is a Electronic War game design program called war engine, it basically allow you to create any kind of turn base war game, with a simple set of graphic and alternating weapons and units. It come with several pre made games. one being a space war game called Warspace..

it made by Sharpnel Games. a Demo of it can be downloaded from http://www.shrapnelgames.com/
MKSheppard

Re: War engine

Post by MKSheppard »

omegaLancer wrote:If you are making a turn base game. there may be an easy way to do it without a lot of programing.. There is a Electronic War game design program called war engine, it basically allow you to create any kind of turn base war game, with a simple set of graphic and alternating weapons and units. It come with several pre made games. one being a space war game called Warspace..

it made by Sharpnel Games. a Demo of it can be downloaded from http://www.shrapnelgames.com/
Tried that a long time ago.....saw that it didn't have the necessary format
needed for SW....I want this to be as accurate as possible, and War Engine
doesn't cut it......

pellaeons_scion
Jedi Knight

Post by pellaeons_scion »

I thought about doing that myself. But as I dont have a programming bone in my body I will have to wait til some one else with coding nouse decides to make one.

Would be fun though. Though RTS or sim style games are fun, I think a turn based 2d system would make for an entertaining sw game

good Luck MK! 8)
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

The big question would be; how are you going to do an AI for solo sessions...

Kill your God!
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Hmm one idea would be hull points and shield points for the various units and a way to customize certain ships with points..like in BFG if you do a paper and pen game
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

Do a mod first. Then tackle it from the ground up.

Kill your God!
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

EmperorMing wrote:The big question would be; how are you going to do an AI for solo sessions...
That is still very, VERY VERY far off in the future.....

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

EmperorMing wrote:Do a mod first. Then tackle it from the ground up.
Mod doesn't work.....Too much stuff unique to SW, such as repulsorlits...

It would be interesting if your ISD got a +2 bonus in speed or manuverability
due to it's use of it's repulsorlifts near a major gravitational body (like a planet)

MKSheppard

My plans for GENERATION ONE

Post by MKSheppard »

G1 will be a hybrid computer/human based wargame, with the computer
used to calculate those things that are very boring to humans, like multiple
dice rolls for individual TL turret headings, while the humans handle
the part of moving around micromachines on a hex grid and measuring
ranges with a piece of string....

AIM or another instant messaging program would work....

"Move ISD to hexgrid 1202"