Sovergein vs Prometheus

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Who wins ?

Prometheus
21%
Sovergein
79%

Total votes: 43

Sarevok
The Fearless One

Sovergein vs Prometheus

Post by Sarevok »

A Prometheus battlecruiser fights a Sovergein class starship. Who wins ?
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Metrion Cascade
Village Idiot

Re: Sovergein vs Prometheus

Post by Metrion Cascade »

evilcat4000 wrote:A Prometheus battlecruiser fights a Sovergein class starship. Who wins ?
The Sovereign, but not by far. Three Prometheuses could take it.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Metrion Cascade wrote:The Sovereign, but not by far. Three Prometheuses could take it.
Why? What does the Prometheus have that the Sovereign doesn't?

Sovvie is bigger, better, and the -E is the Flagship.

(when you said 3 prommies could take it, did you mean the "let's split the ship into 3 different ships" or did you mean 3 actual prommies?)
Metrion Cascade
Village Idiot

Post by Metrion Cascade »

Stofsk wrote:
Metrion Cascade wrote:The Sovereign, but not by far. Three Prometheuses could take it.

(when you said 3 prommies could take it, did you mean the "let's split the ship into 3 different ships" or did you mean 3 actual prommies?)
Three actual ships. And all the Prometheus has is the ability to spread out its fire.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I give it to the Sovreign, because their alpha strike capabilities could probably damage the Prometheus enough in the opening salvo to gain an edge.

If the Prometheus is in MVAM, then the battle would probably be more drawn out, simply because the Sovreign has to distribute its fire three ways, and the Prometheus would always be turning its flank. In this case, the Sovreign wins, but by slimmer margin.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Give me an 'E Not a P! :wink:
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Metrion Cascade wrote:
Stofsk wrote:

Three actual ships. And all the Prometheus has is the ability to spread out its fire.
I am not sure. A Prometheus was able to destroy a Nebula in 5 seconds in "Message in a bottle". That indicates Sovergein level firepower. The Prometheus may not have the shields of a Sovergein but it has the firepower to hurt it.
Laird
Friendly Neighbourhood Asshole

Post by Laird »

Sovereign with it's QT's.
"LairdCorp, where total dominion is our number one goal!"-LairdCorp's Motto
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Powerful as the Prometheus-B might be for its size and as many weapons as the Prometheus-A can bring to bear, the Sovereign has more torpedo launchers and larger phasers.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

Post by THEHOOLIGANJEDI »

evilcat4000 wrote:
Metrion Cascade wrote:
Stofsk wrote: Why? What does the Prometheus have that the Sovereign doesn't?

I am not sure. A Prometheus was able to destroy a Nebula in 5 seconds in "Message in a bottle". That indicates Sovergein level firepower. The Prometheus may not have the shields of a Sovergein but it has the firepower to hurt it.
It didn't destroy the Nebula ship, it crippled it's Warp drive.
Stupid risks are what make life worth living.-Homer Simpson

-PC Load Letter?! What the Fuck does that mean!?!?!- Micheal Bolton
-Bullshit! I'll bet you can suck a golf ball through a garden hose! - Sgt. Hartman
-I'll bet your the kind of guy who would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the Goddamn common courtesy to give him a reacharound!- Sgt. Hartman
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Alferd Packer wrote:If the Prometheus is in MVAM, then the battle would probably be more drawn out, simply because the Sovreign has to distribute its fire three ways, and the Prometheus would always be turning its flank. In this case, the Sovreign wins, but by slimmer margin.
Why ? Just target one Prometheus part, destroy it and after this begin with the next one. The concept of a MVAM is just useless against a single target with superior firepower.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
---------
Honorary member of the Rhodanites
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

HRogge wrote:Why ? Just target one Prometheus part, destroy it and after this begin with the next one. The concept of a MVAM is just useless against a single target with superior firepower.
It's been a while since I saw "Message in a Bottle," but I was under the impression that when the ship was in docked mode, several phaser banks were hidden and inoperative, only used in MVAM. Thus, the ship would benefit from increased firepower while in MVAM, and make the battle last longer. A search for screenies revealed nothing, so I might be wrong about that hidden weapons part.

EDIT: No, I take that back. I just found this, which seems to show phaser banks that are hidden in docked mode.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Chris OFarrell
Gareth Brierley
Which is Starfleet’s premier warship: The Sovereign or Prometheus?

[RICK STERNBACH] My money’s on Prometheus, though I’d qualify that by saying it would be a 25% larger Prometheus (like the enlarged F/A-18E/F) that wouldn’t separate. This would be the latest thing out of the Advanced Starship Design Bureau, making the Sovereign as old as a Pentium II.
From an old PM. :)

I'd go with the Sovvie, mostly because I had to live with a PII for over two years. :D
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

evilcat4000 wrote:A Prometheus battlecruiser fights a Sovergein class starship. Who wins ?
Prometheus. It incorporates at least the firepower of a Sov into a spaceframe the size of an Intrepid (more if your going in MVAM). Add that to regenerative shielding, ablative armor, and a greater top speed, and the only real way that the Sov would win is if they get a massively lucky first strike.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Matt Huang wrote:
Prometheus. It incorporates at least the firepower of a Sov into a spaceframe the size of an Intrepid (more if your going in MVAM). Add that to regenerative shielding, ablative armor, and a greater top speed, and the only real way that the Sov would win is if they get a massively lucky first strike.
Incorrect.

The Prometheus sports 18 phaser arrays and 3 torpedo launchers. The Sovereign sports 15 phaser arrays (several being larger arrays meaning more power), 8 torpedo launchers, and one quantum torpedo launcher.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

Sovereign would knock the shit out of the Prometheus. 4 Quants pound the bridge out, A few photons into the nacelles, phasers along the engieering hull.

Fireworks.

Ah, shields...
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Depends, I suppose. What is the individual power sources for each of the MAV's?

If the Sovie can concentrate on each piece and destroy the first one with little problem then the overall fire power of the Prometheus will keep getting reduced until its all destroyed.

For the MAV's to work agaisnt it, you'd need the Prometheus to be able to have enough juice to bitch slap the sovie before the first piece or second piece is nailed.

The Prometheus would probably have a better chance to stay in one piece and concentrate fire power on one arc of the Sovies shields instead of splitting up and wearing down multible arcs.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

It's been a while since I saw "Message in a Bottle," but I was under the impression that when the ship was in docked mode, several phaser banks were hidden and inoperative, only used in MVAM. Thus, the ship would benefit from increased firepower while in MVAM, and make the battle last longer. A search for screenies revealed nothing, so I might be wrong about that hidden weapons part
However in MVAM the firepower is spread accross several shields instead of all the weapons concentrating on a single shield. This is not good against a ships with regenerative shields like the Sovergein.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

The Sovereign should win this fairly easily. It has more firepower than the Prometheus, it's larger, and presumably has approximately equivalent technology. The Prometheus MIGHT be more cost-effective simply because it's smaller, but really three smaller ships would be much better than it is.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Sovereign wins.

Prometheus has to dedicate additional space to internal armors on the three sections, the three sections likely have individual power grids so the armor can protect everywhere (no chinks in armor), and those extra phaser strips are only useful if the power for them is present.

Sovereign has a single structure, a single power grid, and can allocate all of its firepower to a single component to splatter it.
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Alferd Packer wrote:It's been a while since I saw "Message in a Bottle," but I was under the impression that when the ship was in docked mode, several phaser banks were hidden and inoperative, only used in MVAM. Thus, the ship would benefit from increased firepower while in MVAM, and make the battle last longer. A search for screenies revealed nothing, so I might be wrong about that hidden weapons part.

EDIT: No, I take that back. I just found this, which seems to show phaser banks that are hidden in docked mode.
So what ?

The firepower/shield strength of a starfleet ship is limited by it's reactor, not by surface area. The Sovereign has always full power available for it's shield where the 3 parts of the Prometheus will have to split it's total power on three individual shields... same is true for phaserpower, the Sovereign never has 33% ( or even 66% ) unavailable because a part of it's had to run away because of shield loss.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
---------
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Alyeska wrote:
Matt Huang wrote:
Incorrect.

The Prometheus sports 18 phaser arrays and 3 torpedo launchers. The Sovereign sports 15 phaser arrays (several being larger arrays meaning more power), 8 torpedo launchers, and one quantum torpedo launcher.
MVAM it gets 18 phaser arrays / 5 torp launchers, + regenerative shields & ablative armor.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Perhaps a more relevant question would be who would win ton for ton.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Matt Huang wrote:
Alyeska wrote:
Matt Huang wrote: Prometheus. It incorporates at least the firepower of a Sov into a spaceframe the size of an Intrepid (more if your going in MVAM). Add that to regenerative shielding, ablative armor, and a greater top speed, and the only real way that the Sov would win is if they get a massively lucky first strike.
Incorrect.

MVAM it gets 18 phaser arrays / 5 torp launchers, + regenerative shields & ablative armor.
Incorrect. MVAM gets it 18 phaser arrays and 3 torpedo launchers along with shields and armor. The Sovereign has 15 arrays (which are more powerful), more torpedo launchers, and quantum torpedoes. The Sovereign can destroy a single section of the Prometheus and reduce the firepower it has to deal with by 33%. The Sovereign will win easily.

HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

The mayor problem of the MVAM is the reduction of the available energy to 33% when the Prometheus split... the shields are just too weak compared to a ship like the Sovi.
---------