IoM vs SW Republic on the ground

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

IoM vs SW Republic on the ground

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

By act of Q...

A force of 50,000 Imperial Guardsmen supported by 5,000 armoured vehicle sof various types plus artillery, elites, air support, and engineers is transported to a world with 50,000 Clonetroopers, with 5,000 walkers and tanks of various types, plus artillery, ARC troopers, air support and egineers.

The planet is temperate and much like Western Europe. It has a breathable Earthlike atmosphere and similar gravity, water and etc.

Now...both sides immediately veiw the other as a threat and begin their assault. Which side survives?
Kanye West Saves.

18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Ghetto Edit:

ABSOLUTELY NO ORBITAL SUPPORT FOR EITHER SIDE.

And no Space Marines, elites mean Shock Troopers, Kasrkin, Ogyrns, etc.
Kanye West Saves.

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

You gave them Arc Troopers, and didn't put marines up to counter them?

In any case, the Republic's armoured vehicles are far superior, while both sides have rough infantry parity.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

what's the difference between ARC troopers and more elite IoM Imperial Guard units like Cadian Shocktroopers?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Matt Huang wrote:what's the difference between ARC troopers and more elite IoM Imperial Guard units like Cadian Shocktroopers?
ARC troopers can take out tanks with their rifles.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Matt Huang wrote:what's the difference between ARC troopers and more elite IoM Imperial Guard units like Cadian Shocktroopers?
Armor and gear, probably.

Equipment-wise, Cadian Shocktroops are not leaps and bounds beyond more typical Guard units, simply possessing solid lasguns and flak armor consisting of torso and shoulder protection plus a typical combat helmet. In other words, a little more protection in terms of surface area than a modern soldier, though obviously capable of taking nastier hits... though a doubt a Guardsman is going to get back up after being hit by a DC-15.

Kasrkin Grenadiers, on the other hand, are much more comparable. Not only do they fulfill a similar battlefield role to ARCs, they're also equipped much better, having full 'carapace' armor not wholly dissimilar to a Clonetrooper's (including some NBC), but also hellguns, which are souped-up lasguns that IIRC have a slight edge on most blaster rifles.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Ghetto edit:
they're also equipped much better
Should read:

"they're also equipped much better than their Shocktrooper cousins"
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Cadian Shocktroopers also have a good deal of NBC protection.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

The Imperials get superheavy tanks like the Baneblade, as well as their artilley like Earthshaker cannons and Griffon mortars.

The armor isnt totally against the IoM.

Though admitedly they have nothing, i dont think, on the raw power of the mobile TLs.

They are going to have full air support on both sides. That means gunships and clone-fighters for the Republic, and Thunderbolts, Valkyries and Marauders for the IoM.
Kanye West Saves.

18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

I figured maybe give them a Chapter of Space Marines to ven out a similarsized force of ARC Troopers but that, i realized, would be unfairly placing a large cadre of elite warriors on one side and not the other. So i said, only Imperial guard elites like Kasrkin, Shock Troopers or Ogryns.
Kanye West Saves.

Morat
Padawan Learner

Post by Morat »

Though admitedly they have nothing, i dont think, on the raw power of the mobile TLs.
What sort of firepower do these have? Have yields been stated for them anywhere, or would we have to interpolate the yield based on size?
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:and Thunderbolts, Valkyries and Marauders for the IoM.
Hm, we allowed atmosphere-converted Furies?
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Are we allowed Titans?
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

The Guard get whatever aircraft would serve the purpose of competeing with Republic fighters and gunships, one could include drop troops under 'elites' and say Valkyrie transports go in too.

No Titans, the Republic doesnt have any analogue, other than mobile TLs.

As for them, Morat, i dont know the exact yield of the SPHA'T mobile turbolasers, IIRC that's their name. All i know is, they literally cut a TradeFed core-ship in half with two or three direct hits.
Kanye West Saves.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Imperial Guard brings up two or three Ordinatus Golgotha's and unleash a barrage of Empire State building sized bio-chemical warhead rockets full of hellfire at the Republic. I love those missiles, biochem weapons that eat through tank armour are FUN.

And I'm willing to bet that around 1,000 basilisks would be lined up and ready to do REAL bad things to the Republic army when they enter range (somewhere over the horizon).
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

"On my order, unleash hell."

So, basically, this is a completely even matchup, as in, the opponent has to have some similiar in their arsenals?
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Ok, so not exactly Empire state building size...

But, the Ordinatus weapons mean that this is HUGE advantage for the IoM. Dispersion fields are well nigh impenetrable by all but the most enormously over-powered weapons (read Plasma Annhilator), until later in teh battle when the shield begins to degrade, but by that point the damage has been done.

I get the feeling that this is going to be fought to a standstill. A horrific and bloody standstill. Though, I get the feeling that a decent armoured push by the IoM may give them the breakthrough they require, but I wouldn't put money on it either way.
darth korte
Youngling

Re: IoM vs SW Republic on the ground

Post by darth korte »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:By act of Q...

A force of 50,000 Imperial Guardsmen supported by 5,000 armoured vehicle sof various types plus artillery, elites, air support, and engineers is transported to a world with 50,000 Clonetroopers, with 5,000 walkers and tanks of various types, plus artillery, ARC troopers, air support and egineers.

The planet is temperate and much like Western Europe. It has a breathable Earthlike atmosphere and similar gravity, water and etc.

Now...both sides immediately veiw the other as a threat and begin their assault. Which side survives?
which one you think has better change to survive 50,000 flak armored troops, or 50,000 full carapace armored troops?
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Infantry will likely not even begin to see each other in this fight.

Massive airsupport and massed armour formations on both sides mean that though there might be infantry skirmishes, this battles being decided elsewhere.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

I think that the Imperials have armor as good, in some respects better, than the Clones. I would dare say their fighters might even be about equal.

But...and now here's the BUT...i think Clone Gunships will play mary hell on the battlefield. Their combination of high speed and heavy weapons, makes them very, very effective at what they do, which, being blunt, is killing the enemy.

If the Imperials can rush the Clones i think they'll win by punching through with superheavy tanks and mechanized company support, like the Steel Legions. It wont be a rollover, but i think the heavier armor and generally heavy weapons of the Guard will win on the ground.

Infantry, as Weemadando said, will probably not decide the battle.
Kanye West Saves.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Hydras and the presence of dedicated interceptor craft mean that clone gunships will face many problems. And on the otherside of the equation, Valkyries and Vultures will likely cause havoc of their own if they can break the clones air defenses.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Are those Air Cruisers from SW:Battlegrounds considered air support, Also GAR has habit of using Venators as Air support (in hovering atmossphare).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Ooooh - do the IoM get some landed Battle-barges or Cathedral ships?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

weemadando wrote:Ooooh - do the IoM get some landed Battle-barges or Cathedral ships?
are standard support for the Guard, the same way Venators and Air Cruisers are for the GAR.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Laird
Friendly Neighbourhood Asshole

Re: IoM vs SW Republic on the ground

Post by Laird »

darth korte wrote: which one you think has better change to survive 50,000 flak armored troops, or 50,000 full carapace armored troops?
Does it matter, each side has a standard rifle that is a 1 shot 1 kill weapon on a human. We all know stormtrooper/clonetrooper might be able to stop a glancing blaster hit. Lasguns are supposedly what 22MJ's or something? Clonetrooper armour can't stop that, nor can flak armour stop a blaster shot.
"LairdCorp, where total dominion is our number one goal!"-LairdCorp's Motto