SD.net: Lords of Darkness (RAR!)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Zor
Sith Acolyte

SD.net: Lords of Darkness (RAR!)

Post by Zor »

I was thinking about a couple of Fantasy Related themes and the RAR! Skunkworks in my brain just had to turn this baby out. I also apologize to J, Zaia and the girls, Lords and Ladies of Darkness did not work soundwise, sorry.

Today, Q comes in and picks up every Non Banned SD.net Board member with more than 50 posts and says that he is going to send us back in time to the year 1350, but he is not going to make it more interesting than "a few poor modern humans get sent back in time to an age of Savagery and within a year are at best reduced to serfs" or "The united SD.net Empire takes over the world and ushers in an age of enlightenment" Here, things are a bit more individualistic.

First of all, each of us is allowed to bring back a cubic meter of stuff and twenty four hours to fill it up with stuff. Second is given a dose of nanites that make us impervious to disease unless we have massive gaping wounds in our stomach and such, makes us somewhat more durable (In that we can survive wounds that would generally be fatal, regenerate eyes and hands, but are not invincible, get decapitated, loose enough blood or get blown to smithereens and you stay dead) and extends our lifespan to 500 years. Third, we get our self repairing nanite filled solar powered top of the line Laptops with an internet connection with an SD.net forum for communication over long distances as well as Science fiction.

Second of all, Q gives us each a force of creatures to call our own based off fantasy forces. Along with a small manor and fortress based on the size of your force. These are customizable with each force being able to consist of a variety of creatures with pros and cons based on points.

The Poster Ranking goes as such (If someone would like a system of convenient titles to go with them, PM me and I will put it in)...

50-1000 regular posters and people with a VI or other such negative custom title
7,500 Army Points
A small fortress with 4 meter tall Wood and rammed earth Walls that are a meter thick, pointy stick stockades, barbed wire and watchtowers for archers with your manor inside. Inside is a Forge, Armory, Barracks, Grainery, hospital and your manor (which you can base off any Eurasian Noble's mannor that is no more than 30 meters by 30 meters).
500 Cattle

1,000-2,500 Regular Posters
25,000 Army Points
A fortress diameter with five meter tall and two meters thick made of rammed earth and fire hardened brick, barbed wire and various support structures listed above on a larger scale and additional buildings surrounding it.
2,500 Cattle

2,501-5,000,
50,000 Army Points
A Fortress with 8 meter tall 3 meter thick brick walls with buildings surrounding it.
10,000 Cattle

5,001-12,500 Regular Poster, Senators and Moderators Minimum
100,000 Army Points
A fortress with 10 meter tall three meter thick rebar reinforced concrete walls with the manor and central command facilities and a city outside full of your creatures. Has Plumbing (flush toilets and such).
20,000 Cattle

12,501+, Supermods and administrators
250,000 Army Points
A fortress with 12 meter tall four meter thick rebar reinforced concrete walls with the manor and central command facilities and a city outside full of your creatures. Has Plumbing (flush Toilets).
40,000 cattle

You can deposit these Fortresses anywhere on earth that is not a body of water and not a city, natives will be given an image of several bizarre metal devices descending from the skies and assembling these fortresses. You also get a small fishing village/port if you set up shop near the ocean and a few five meter long fishing boats free of charge. Some level of adjustments can be made. In case you chose a cold area, your forces are equiped with jackets and such.

You have enough food to last your army two years as of the start, as well as seed stock to start up farming.

And now for the creatures that will make up your army. All of your soldiers are loyal to you and worship you as a god, as they do the other SD.net members, but to your monsters, you come first and they come second. If you die, it is quite likely that they would join with another member's army. You get both sexes for replacements and all your forces are trained adults to start.

Goblins
Point Cost-1 Each
Goblins are small creatures, they stand 1 meter tall, weigh between 10-20 kilograms, have dull brown or green skin, long ears and noses and hand like feet. They are about half as strong as an average human overall and are naturally sneaky, suffer from kleptomania, prefer ambush tactics and none too bright (average IQ of 80), but can be useful for simple tasks under observation. Goblins breed fast (a female goblin gives birth to a litter of five goblins each year, which reach maturity at 3 years), but only live fifteen years at most. Each Goblin you get comes with circular Plywood shield 50cm in diameter, pair of pants, pair of shoes, shirt, jacket in cold climates, a 15 cm steel dagger and 1.25 meter long basic spear (Shaft of wood with a ten centimeter iron spike on one end), and act as skirmishers and raiders. Goblins on the battlefield are organized into groups Mobs of 500 individuals.

Orcs
Point Cost-2 Each
Basically think the Uruk Hai from the Two Towers movie with smoother green skin and dental work. Orcs are basically like humans, but a bit more durable and stronger on average with denser bones and such. Orcs are just as smart as humans and reproduce faster, having six month pregnancies and reaching sexual maturity at age eight but only lives to be at most fifty. Your standard Orc is (along with two sets of clothing, including trousers, a shirt, a belt, boots and a greatcoat) in a shirt of chain mail, a steel helmet like those used in the English Civil War, a breastplate with your personal logo painted on the torso and a groin guard, a 15cm Dagger and one of three sets of weapons...
-A rectangular steel reinforced Shield 50cm across and 125 centimeters tall with your logo emblazoned on it, two javelins and a meter long Steel Sword
-Said Shield and a 4 meter long Pike
-A Arbalest Crossbow
And apropriate training to go with it. One in every fifty Orcs is a capable blacksmith, with other trades being in there as well, including siege engineers and farmers. Orcs are trained to fight in Centuries (100 Individuals), Cohorts (500 Individuals), Maniples (1,500 Individuals) and Legions (6,000 individuals).

Naga
Point Cost-3 Each
Naga are the marines, they have a humanlike upper body with four arms, but a 7 meter long tail in place of legs. Naga are naturally very good swimmers and can hold there breath for up to twenty minutes. Naga have a poisonous bite and can handle quite waters that are not artic for some time. Naga breed at the same rate of Humans and have the same lifespan. Naga come armed with composite bows, 75cm chrome alloy cutlasses and 1.5 meter long Naginata. Organized into Forces of 30, 150 and 300.

Minotaurs
Point Cost-20 Each
Minotaurs stand 3 meters tall, weigh 200 kilograms on average and look much like Warcraft Taurens. They are about five times as strong as a human and can run at up to 40km/h. Minotaurs are relatively smart and more or less comparable to the average human, but male Minotaurs are normally quite aggressive and touchy, despite there loyalty. Minotaurs breed at the same rate humans do, but require three times as much food as a human. Minotaurs can’t swim. Minotaurs come along with their garments with a helmet, breastplate, grieves and chain-mail shirt with an Orc Shield and a 3 meter long Halberd, as well as there natural horns. Minotaurs are organized into Horns (50 Individuals), Herds (350 Individuals) and Stampedes (1050 Individuals).

Centaurs
Point Cost-20 Each
Centaurs are just that, Centaurs. Centaurs can keep pace with the average horse and weigh as much. Centaurs are herbivorous, as intelligent as humans and reproduce at the same rate as humans do, but have no more strength than a conventional human in its human section. Centaurs live as long as humans do. The Standard Centaur is a breastplate and chain mail for its human section, Helmet, a sachel for carrying stuff and is armed with a 3 meter lance and a composite bow. Centaurs are organized in Cadres (50 Individuals), Lances (250 Individuals) and Hordes (1,000 individuals).

Ursiods
Point Cost-30 Each
Envision a 500 kilogram humanoid grizzly bear with opposable thumbs able to run at thirty kilometers per hour on all fours. Ursiods are as intelligent as humans and breed at the same rate, but have twenty times the strength, as well as claws and jaws. Ursiods are omnivorous, can swim better than a human if unarmored and have a damn good sense of smell, as well as an unbearlike, but useful sense of sight comparable to that of a human. Ursiods live as long as humans. Ursiods are armed with two meter long great swords and are clad in full plate armor. Ursiods come in Packs (50 Individuals) and Brotherhoods (500 Individuals)

Ogres
Point Cost-250 Each

Ogres are large hairless mammalian humanoids 5 meters tall, broadly built and massing in at three tonnes. They are also dumb as hell, having an average IQ of 65 and are only capable of very basic tasks under supervision. Ogres require a lot of food and care to work properly, a staff of about fifteen Orcs per each. Ogres are omnivorous and need lots of food and have twenty month pregnancies, take twenty years to mature, but live to over a century. Ogres are instinctively afraid of fire. Ogres come with boots, pants, a breastplate and are armed with heavy 3 meter long spiked clubs for general smashing. Ogres do not have any organizational units.

You do not have any siege weapons, but you do have blueprints for the siege weapons available at the time and Orcs can build them. The same goes for ships.

So...

1-What happens?
2-What do you do?

Zor

(Edit-Cattle Level lifted, cold weather notification, typos, Fixed the System so we don't get Shepnukistan and Saddamistan alliance with Orcs again)

*Edit Map of Europe Circa 1346 Pre Black Death, 1350 when we kick off the Black Death is gone and some borders have changed but not much.-Bean

Last edited by Zor on 2008-07-01 01:51pm, edited 8 times in total.
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Boost the cattle count for the high end posters\supermods and such to 12,500. As it is you are short changing them by 2,500 where as the low end of the scale would probably eat each other to survive.

Then again if realism is slightly being used here then the cattle count would have to be greatly revised upwards for every level. :) Now I go to sleep.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Enigma wrote:Boost the cattle count for the high end posters\supermods and such to 12,500. As it is you are short changing them by 2,500 where as the low end of the scale would probably eat each other to survive.
You also have a fair supply of tinned food, enough to last two years for you and your army.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Enigma wrote:Boost the cattle count for the high end posters\supermods and such to 12,500. As it is you are short changing them by 2,500 where as the low end of the scale would probably eat each other to survive.

Then again if realism is slightly being used here then the cattle count would have to be greatly revised upwards for every level. :) Now I go to sleep.
In medieval times, you don't use cattle for meat much, more milk, and cheese. What you do is setup a pig farm ASAP. What this degenerates into is people forming alliances and taking power, because, lets face it, the urge to be considered a god and emperor is going to over rule your more noble urges eventually.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

I get 25000 goblins. Swarming is fun.

Then, I go to a podium and begin to scream out incoherently in order to get my post count up, so that I may acquire even more goblins.

With my cubic meter of crop seeds, I set 5000 of them to farming so that we can all be fed. The rest guard my little establishment. Also, maybe we would abduct baby calves and farm them or something.
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Zablorg wrote:I get 25000 goblins. Swarming is fun.
I could have four times that number, and they breed like rabits. Population explosion! The horde of grots! The green tide, washing away the kingdoms of man!
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

What say we join, my goblins being the laborers sustaining the tide of green?
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

So...it's basically SD.net world, but with goblins? ;)

You obviously have a setting for everyone :P

I take orcs exclusively, maybe with a small group of Ursoids as shock troops. Then I equip my orcish horde with firearms by using their metallurgical skills, and start building up my industry. My one cubic meters will have lots of books: on metallurgy, firearms, reneissance military tactics.

25 thousand goblins are nothing against a well-disciplined gun-armed army of Uruk-hais!

You know, with the sheer amount of posters here, we'd pretty much take over Europe by the virtue of being there.

So...I would land myself in the Americas and proceed to industrialize, teaming up with like-minded individuals to create the American Union of Evilness!

EDIT: Oh, and I will need to build some ocean-going ships and go to Europe to steal horses from those silly guys over there, otherwise we're boned.

Or I'll just buy centaurs to form my cavalry.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Pfft. I'm still a 3rd rate nation.

On the other hand, research seems less important here? Why no sorcerors?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The sheer scale of the troops involved here is phenomenal. We'll eat Europe clean in months, if that. Effectively we'd become the scourge of the world, having to forage our armies across most of Europe and Asia just to stop them from starving.

Any notions of conquering can be instantly checked off as "already completed" due to the weight of numbers on our side.

The best we could do is use our armies and collective modern knowledge to create a highly advanced agricultural base to allow our nations to actually be fed.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

weemadando wrote:The sheer scale of the troops involved here is phenomenal. We'll eat Europe clean in months, if that. Effectively we'd become the scourge of the world, having to forage our armies across most of Europe and Asia just to stop them from starving.
Actually, we don't get that many people to feed ; A medium level "nation" will have only 25 thousand people if it buys just orcs, and you get two years worth of supplies to sustain them.

That's plenty of time to organize some pretty advanced farming. Europe could sustain 40 million people in 1350, America could sustain around 10 million people (that's a low-end estimate...) without any large-scale organized farming at all - so we're not that bad off, especially since we know about silly things like steam power, and we could bring some very efficient crops with us.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

I commence spamming to get myself up over the hump of 1000 posts that lumps me in with VIs and the like, for the next time one of these threads comes around...

I suppose I just set myself up with enough Orcs to form a decent enough small army, and of course have enough Goblins to do the scut work... and hope that nobody gets the itch to try and conquer 'lil ol' me.

Oh, and sigh longingly at the expensive price of Centaurs, as otherwise I could create a fairly decent Mongol Horde. :P
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Join the FUNGAL FIEFDOM! :twisted:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Join the FUNGAL FIEFDOM! :twisted:
Give me access to flush toilets and I'm in :P

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Can I pass up the standard army and just spend my 25,000 points on some dragons?
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Orc core with around four or five ogres, some naga for ocean defense, and goblins for scouting and reproduction (and as farm slaves). Ideally I'd set up shop in America's plains. Maybe Nebraska, for corn farming.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I wonder if the Black Mages would be willing to all work together....
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

We don't all have to be in Europe. We can set up anywhere.

Russia, Asia, the Americas.

I'd go Middle East, myself. Nile Delta and surrounding regions. With fantasy-creature slave labor, I can dig a Suez Canal big enough for the cogs and dromonds of the time pretty easily and charge nice fares to avoid that long, slow 'round-Africa trip.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Maxentius
Padawan Learner

Post by Maxentius »

I take a force composed mostly of Orcs, with five or so Ogres thrown in to intimidate the local populace. I'll figure out the exact math a bit later.

In 24 hours, I can pack in every book on medieval history and warfare I own, which is quite a lot. I also throw in a copy of The Lords of the Rings for kicks. Probably some booze. Maybe my chainmail shirt or lorica segmentata. Prophylactics, definitely prophylactics. Possibly some booze. I'll get flamed to shit for this next one, but a carton of cigarettes. My pet lizard. Possibly some cannabis. Maybe a bottle of some good hooch. Can't leave home without some recreational materials, after all.

Anywho, I set up a couple dozen miles north of Constantinople, and immediately begin impressing the locals into my service. My ultimate goal is the taking of the City of Constantine, so that we may command trans-Black Sea shipping, and also control the Hellespont. I also wouldn't mind setting myself up as a Dark Evil Roman Emperor, but someone with a higher post count will probably swat me aside and reduce me to the status of Imperial Lackey, which I guess I'm cool with.

I'll figure some more stuff out later on my lunch break.
Rome is an eternal thought in the mind of God... If there were no Rome, I'd dream of her.
--Marcus Licinius Crassus, Spartacus.

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Maxentius wrote: Anywho, I set up a couple dozen miles north of Constantinople, and immediately begin impressing the locals into my service. My ultimate goal is the taking of the City of Constantine, so that we may command trans-Black Sea shipping, and also control the Hellespont. I also wouldn't mind setting myself up as a Dark Evil Roman Emperor, but someone with a higher post count will probably swat me aside and reduce me to the status of Imperial Lackey, which I guess I'm cool with.

Dude, with your post count, you will get crushed by Byzantium the moment they find you out.

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

PeZook wrote:
Maxentius wrote: Anywho, I set up a couple dozen miles north of Constantinople, and immediately begin impressing the locals into my service. My ultimate goal is the taking of the City of Constantine, so that we may command trans-Black Sea shipping, and also control the Hellespont. I also wouldn't mind setting myself up as a Dark Evil Roman Emperor, but someone with a higher post count will probably swat me aside and reduce me to the status of Imperial Lackey, which I guess I'm cool with.

Dude, with your post count, you will get crushed by Byzantium the moment they find you out.
Unless he chooses to become my vassal, and we can crush Byzantium in a North-South action. Who's with us!?
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Maxentius
Padawan Learner

Post by Maxentius »

PeZook wrote:

Byzantium in 1350 was mostly confined to Thrace. John V Palaeologos gained the throne after a nasty little civil war, three years previous. While the forces they can immediately bring to bear are certainly not anything to scoff out, they're far from their glorious heyday. It will not exactly be easy, but with an army of about 3,000 Orcs and some Ogres for psychological backup, it's possible, especially if I start mass-conscripting the locals around my demesne and hire mercenaries, such as the Catalans. It won't be easy, though.

EDIT: Sure, Coyote, but only if you let me grab that Emperor of Rome title. I'll be your puppet. Maxentius II has a nicer ring to it than Coyote I with the plebes, after all. =P
Last edited by Maxentius on 2008-06-25 12:12pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rome is an eternal thought in the mind of God... If there were no Rome, I'd dream of her.
--Marcus Licinius Crassus, Spartacus.

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Point at a nice, relatively isolated place (Australia maybe?) get a few couples of Ursiods, a small tribe of centaurs or orks and use a village-worth of Nagas to take over Australia and later, surrounding islands. I have the people, the monsters, the weaponry, the time and means. I recall that the Australian natives would not offer me much opposition and the centaurs would dominate the Australian wastelands.

What monsters I would choose obviously would depend on where I choose to place myself. Different regions would benefit from different monsters. Centaurs would be handy for big plane areas. Goblins would likely benefit in swampy or very forestry regions where ambush tactics would be profitable. Orks would be great in mountain regions (or any place where they could adopt really). Naga would have questionable usage without water in the area. Minotours and Ursiods would be handy heavy troops. Ogres would be only useful for siege or familiar tasks.

If not Australia, but then some other relatively small country like Iceland or something. Someplace cool, and I mean literally cool place. I hate sweating.

Iceland would be handy to conquer. While not terribly prosperous a land, it would be relatively easy to conquer (due to low population) and it sits between two important continents: Europe and America and has access to South America and Africa. Who says that I can't move to conquer Australia from there?

If I were to choose a place near sea, I would surround myself within a village/town of Nagas and my personal guard, all of whom are loyal to me. This secondary/backup headquarters would be within a hidden Naga village/town somewhere in a reef island that no ship would be able to go near.

The basic idea is not to challange big empires and stuff with my forces but instead, take a relatively uninhabited but strategically useful place and fortify that. No need to conquer like crazy, I would rather settle a sizeable region and develop it.

BTW, could we use our points to buy certain supernatural abilities? You can't be an Evil Overlord without a nifty spell or two. Stuff like: telekinesis, psychokinesis, telepathy (read-only), ESP and stuff like that?

Of course you can only use these abilities on things you see (even ESP, "degrading" it to a mere super-powerful telescope) and to things that are in your immediate surrounding and with a moderate power (you can't lift entire islands in a pinch or set fire and entire forest in an instant). You would be able to do more then say, a force-sensitive but far less then an X-man. The energy would partly come from you and from your surroundings. Any time you would use them, a small bar would be projected on your retina and it would be like using a power-glove.

I also presume that we would automatically be able to learn any language spoken or written?
Last edited by Zixinus on 2008-06-25 12:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
CDiehl
Jedi Master

Post by CDiehl »

Here's what I'm thinking for my 25,000 points:

One Legion of Orcs (12,000 pts.) - 3,000 crossbowmen, 2,000 pikemen, 1,000 swordsmen. Five hundred each of the crossbows and pikes will be attached to my HQ as a garrison. The rest will serve as my initial field army.

One Mainple of Orcs (3,000 pts.) - 500 of each. As soon as I can obtain 1,500 horses and some humans to train them to ride, these will become my cavalry arm. I plan to convert the pikes to lances and replace the lancers' backup daggers with flails, and convert the shields to kite shields. The crossbowmen will be mounted to keep up with the others, but dismount to shoot and keep the horses close by to withdraw. When I can afford it, I'll have barding made for the horses, and start upgrading the armor to plate.

Three Horns of Minotaurs (3,000 pts.) - Two of the Horns will be part of my main army, acting as shock troops. The third horn will be attached to HQ as my personal guard. I plan to give the Minotaurs axes as backup weapons.

One Lance of Centaurs (5,000 pts) - For the most part, these will act as scouts. In battle, they act as mounted archers, then charge with lances into the enemy's rear. Fifty Centaurs will be attached to my HQ as household cavalry. When I have barding, the Centaurs' horse parts will be barded first.

Six Hundred Nagas (1,800 pts.) - These are my reserves. During a battle, they guard the Orc crossbowmen, and when the enemy is broken, they're called up to deliver the coup de grace. One hundred Nagas are attached to my HQ as part of the garrison.

One Century of Orcs (200 pts.) - Half are armed with swords, the other with pikes. When I have plate, these will get it first, and when I have horses, the fifty swordsmen will be mounted. These will be attached to my HQ as part of my guard.

I hope to be dropped in a well-developed, well-populated region. My plan is to make like the main characters in The Man who Would Be King, offering the services of my army to a local nobleman, to make him king. Then, I plan to usurp that throne and rule what I helped conquer. I don't expect my 8,600 troops to be able to make this happen single-handedly, but I can use them as a starting point. In time, the majority of my forces will be humans, but the monsters will be the backbone of my army.
For the glory of Gondor, I sack this here concession stand!
Sikon
Jedi Knight

Post by Sikon »

There are more than 140 members who will have 100000 or more army points each. Popular location choices like parts of Europe and North America will get overrun by millions of goblins and orcs. The initial chaos is unpredictable. Even kids could have absolute power over tens of thousands of fanatically loyal followers, a huge army by medieval standards.

Eventually the situation might stabilize, with one or more nations comprised of numerous SDN members pooling resources. Yet there's uncertainty about who would be along those rising to power, the details of the resulting ideology, and much more. It might be resemble a modern democracy, or it might be a regime I'd rather not be nearby, such as one more analogous to the Soviet Union.

So I'd try initially to stay the hell out of the area. Perhaps one of the islands in Southeast Asia and the Pacific would be a suitable choice, not having too many neighbors with giant armies right nearby. Later, after things have settled down, contact can occur, and some trade partners or allies can be negotiated.

------------

With just 7500 army points, I would be at a disadvantage in a conventional land war, one reason not to put myself in the middle of a continent. But the naval situation is relatively good with an island.

If away from the primary concentrations of power, my island is unlikely to face a large amphibious assault in the immediate near-term. Nobody starts with any ships (aside from fishing village boats), and, until shipbuilding is advanced beyond 14th-century levels, they will be slow and limited at force projection across oceans. If I'm lucky, I won't face naval attacks by more than pirates in the first few decades or maybe not even that.
Naga
Point Cost-3 Each
Naga are the marines, they have a humanlike upper body with four arms, but a 7 meter long tail in place of legs. Naga are naturally very good swimmers and can hold there breath for up to twenty minutes.
As an island, my initial military naturally gets a nautical focus. Probably at least 500 naga are obtained, perfect with their ability to swim like fish and stay underwater for a long time. They get trained in spotting, intercepting, and sinking the canoes or ships of potential attackers. For example, a 14th-century wooden sailing ship could be taken out by them making holes in its hull from underwater, even before I had production of explosives.

I wonder if they could help early food supplies by being good at harpooning whales as well as fishing; whales that can yield as much as 100000 pounds of meat each might supplement the otherwise mostly vegetarian diet.
Orcs are just as smart as humans and reproduce faster, having six month pregnancies and reaching sexual maturity at age eight but only lives to be at most fifty.
The bulk of my army points are spent on orcs, getting 2000 or more. That's as much for civilian as military reasons.

With the same intelligence level as humans (unlike dumber goblins), they will be the foundation of my increasingly skilled workforce as I progress technologically over decades and centuries. Orcs reaching adulthood so quickly is useful.

Of course, I'll also recruit native humans too and try to make my nation a desirable, popular choice for immigration.
Goblins breed fast (a female goblin gives birth to a litter of five goblins each year, which reach maturity at 3 years), but only live fifteen years at most.
Interesting. Technically, that level of exponential growth would correspond to the capability to go from 1000 to 1 billion goblins (20 population doublings) in literally just a few decades, although obviously factors including limitations in near-term food supply make that impossible. However, a few hundred army points could be spent on an initial few hundred goblins, forming the basis of a population that can later be quickly grown to practically any supportable number.
Goblins are small creatures, they stand 1 meter tall, weigh between 10-20 kilograms, have dull brown or green skin, long ears and noses and hand like feet. They are about half as strong as an average human overall and are naturally sneaky, suffer from kleptomania, prefer ambush tactics and none too bright (average IQ of 80), but can be useful for simple tasks under observation.
Since they mass a small fraction as much as a human or orc, presumably relatively a lot of goblins can be supported from a given food supply.

If they actually have fully half the arm strength of an adult human male, the goblins could fire arrows better than one might expect for their small size. Once I advance tech enough to outfit goblins with rifles and grenades, they could be pretty decent soldiers, fairly deadly to the enemy even one on one but being present in large numbers. Orc-goblin combined units would be formed since the smarter orcs could help with command decisions.

------------

Ursiods could be pretty awesome cavalry-equivalents by medieval standards. Using their enormous strength said to be 20 times that of humans, they could be very heavily armored compared to a human yet still fast and mobile.

However, they're so expensive at 30 points each that I couldn't afford more than a few dozen ursoids initially without much weakening allocation for my thousands of orcs who double as a civilian workforce. After the initial few decades, their advantages would tend to be mitigated by firearms becoming more prevalent among potential enemies, and a mere handful of bears are able to be killed by rifle fire like everyone else.

So I get maybe tens of ursiods to at least start a population increasing over time and to use in special applications, but I can't spend much on getting many.

Centaurs are said to have human-level strength in their arms instead of the 20 times that of the ursiods, while costing almost as much; again, I can't afford many and rather just get a small population to have the species available and increasing over time. Minotaurs? Same idea. While 200-kg humanoids, they cost as much as 10 orcs each and require triple the food each. Although almost like living heavy construction equipment, ogres are very expensive, costing as much as 8 ursiods, 125 orcs, or 250 goblins each.

------------

So, initial choices are:
  • 2000+ orcs
  • 500+ naga
  • A few hundred goblins (very fast population increase if many more later supportable)
  • Some ursiods
  • Only small numbers of centaurs, minotaurs, ogres
------------
First of all, each of us is allowed to bring back a cubic meter of stuff and twenty four hours to fill it up with stuff.
Seeds of modern high-yield crop varieties, books and knowledge, a few firearms, medicine, and a lot of other equipment...

Of course, a lot of other people may be bringing back much of the same stuff, so the selection might include some less common choices too.

There's a lot that can be accomplished within a 500-year lifespan.
Last edited by Sikon on 2008-06-25 12:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
[/url]
[/url]Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one cannot live in the cradle forever.

― Konstantin Tsiolkovsky