Fanfiction.net: the good bits

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Xephon
Redshirt

Post by Xephon »

The Endless and The Immortal
There are beings in this Universe called Endless. There are beings in this Universe called Immortal. This is the story of how Death met Death and became friends. (Highlander/Sandman x-over)

Moth to the Flame
VHD:B prequel. Meier and Charlotte, from Meier's POV. How did a vampire ever fall in love with a human? *COMPLETED*

Gaijin
A Sailor Moon SI Unlike any other before it. A man from another world finds himself alone in a strange world, and fighting for his life. This puts him at odds with The Senshi, the Youma, and the Yakuza. Can a mere human last long against such forces?

Mako
Within the depths of corruption, squalor, and evil, one mercenary fights a war alongside a ragtag band of rebels against the faceless corporate enemy of Shinra Inc. Yet, an even darker evil lurks beyond..... An indepth novelization of Final Fantasy VII.
holyknight
Youngling
Location: In a dark alley, slaying the Cultists of Wanknfiction

Post by holyknight »

WARNING:I put a big lot of EVERYTHING here...so don't got weirded for some of the links here... :roll:

Project 04: a HP AU-Verse.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2834785/1/

1977: James and Lily Potter are reported to be killed by Death Eaters............1995: The Ministry's greatest weapon begins to wonder what's the truth........... No Pairings, somewhat inspired by Hellsing.....

Know Why the Nightingale Sings:a Harry Potter-Rurouni Kenshin x-over.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2387105/1/

That fateful Halloween night something happened. It sent Harry Potter to Japan a few years before the Meiji revolution. How are the wizards going to deal with an Oniwabanshu Harry Potter?

Divine:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2783842/1/

A year into his training away from Konoha, Naruto stumbles onto someone thought to only exist within myths and legends. A Divine Goddess of Future? Goddess First Class, Category Two with Unlimited License? What's going on here? Slight OOC....

A Glint of Amber Stars: A Rurouni Kenshin/ST:TNG Crossover.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1585195/1/

In the distant future, a wandering soul questions who and what he is, plagued by unwanted changes and dark, forgotten dreams......

Semper Fi - The UN Marine Corps: An AU of the Macross-Verse.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2269142/1/

The Macross Saga was originally told from the UN Spacy and the Valkyrie Fighter Squadrons point of view. In an alternate reality, a similar story is told from another point of view. This is a story about the few and the proud. The Marines.

Raikiri Triken: The Three Souls Swordsman.
WARNING:The Writer was under the influence of Acapulco Gold when he wrote this..........

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2677761/1/

Harry Potter is possessed by the spirits of Shishio Makoto, Himura Kenshin, and Seta Sojiro. Carrying their three swords, Harry hunts down the supposedly dead Voldemort. Just one problem: the Dark Lord is staying with his cousin, the snake sannin.
A devoted follower of the Chaos Goddess and her way.....

Buck Murdock: Oh, cut the bleeding heart crap, will ya? We've all got our switches, lights, and knobs to deal with, Striker. I mean, down here there are literally hundreds and thousands of blinking, beeping, and flashing lights, blinking and beeping and flashing - they're *flashing* and they're *beeping*. I can't stand it anymore! They're *blinking* and *beeping* and *flashing*! Why doesn't somebody pull the plug!
Anomie
Padawan Learner
Location: Between the begining of time and the end of the universe

Post by Anomie »

FFX: Destiny's Call - Final Fantasy X - A story of a regular guy getting transported to Spira and traveling alongside Tidus and the rest on there quest to defeat Sin

It’s Good to be King - Love Hina - What happens when Keitaro finds out that Su has a plan instore for him and the other girls of Hinata.

Married With Princess - Love Hina - Keitaro finds out that the Hinata Inn is considered an embassy because of Su living there, and because it's technically MolMolian soil, the laws of Mol Mol apply. And his life just had a dramatic change because of it.

Wish For The Past - Dragonball Z - A misspoken wish lands Goten in the past, traveling alongside Bardock, the grandfather he never knew. Concerned for his friend's safety, Trunks soon joins him, and together they travel from Vegeta-sei to Earth, trying to find a way back home.
You shall be the instrument of my vengence. Through you I shall scream out my wrath unto the heavens.
"Explosions fix everything" - Nabeshin - Excel Saga
"When you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss comments on how you have no social life."
"We jumped the shark AND took its wallet" My friend commenting upon our groups dinner conversation.
CoVD:We are all but a part of a dream that Vin Diesel is having.
Church of Perverts: As the Lord commands, so shall we do. And do. And do.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Faqa wrote:
phongn wrote:Found the fic - After the End
Very good, though a bit syrupy-sweet. Have footage of battles and explosions handy to stiffen yourself at times.
Darkfics are usually my thing but sometimes a does of sugar can be good :p
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

For those who had enough of Buffyverse x-over where Buffy gets so superior, try this one Forever Knight /BtVS x-over. Nick could virtually run rings around Buffy.

The Living Undead
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Speaking of Buffyverse getting superior and needing a bitchslapping every now and again to keep the arrogance down, does anyone know of a good Buffy/Hellsing crossover anywhere? Hell, even a good Hellsing fic would be nice considering its the one series that I'm something of a fanboy of. But yeah, Buffy/Hellsing if done well would be so awesome just for the looks on the Scoobies faces.

Buffy: "I don't know who you people are, but trust us on this, guns just piss these guys off."

Alucard, while wearing a smirk: "Seras?"

Seras, coming into view carrying the Harkonnen: "Yes master?"

Buffy: "... ...Okay, that might do it."
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

Academia Nut wrote:does anyone know of a good Buffy/Hellsing crossover anywhere? Hell, even a good Hellsing fic would be nice considering its the one series that I'm something of a fanboy of. But yeah, Buffy/Hellsing if done well would be so awesome just for the looks on the Scoobies faces.
About the best I know about would be "An Angel of a Different Sort" (no direct link, sorry) in the Anime>Hellsing microsection of Twisting the Hellmouth. Xander's goes as an English butler for Halloween... you can read what happens next.
holyknight
Youngling
Location: In a dark alley, slaying the Cultists of Wanknfiction

Post by holyknight »

Academia Nut wrote:Speaking of Buffyverse getting superior and needing a bitchslapping every now and again to keep the arrogance down, does anyone know of a good Buffy/Hellsing crossover anywhere? Hell, even a good Hellsing fic would be nice considering its the one series that I'm something of a fanboy of. But yeah, Buffy/Hellsing if done well would be so awesome just for the looks on the Scoobies faces."
hmm....Hellsing/BTVS x-overs...something like...

The No Life Twin: X-Over with Hellsing, and incorporates Underworld, Vampire: The Masquerade, The League..

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2716485/1/

There are people who say that it is a terrible thing to be forgotten by those around you. However as one Xander Harris is about to find out it can be even worse to be noticed by the wrong people.

Or Every Angel:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2709364/1/

A different take to the normal style. For Every Angel, a Demon... Xander/Integra
A devoted follower of the Chaos Goddess and her way.....

Buck Murdock: Oh, cut the bleeding heart crap, will ya? We've all got our switches, lights, and knobs to deal with, Striker. I mean, down here there are literally hundreds and thousands of blinking, beeping, and flashing lights, blinking and beeping and flashing - they're *flashing* and they're *beeping*. I can't stand it anymore! They're *blinking* and *beeping* and *flashing*! Why doesn't somebody pull the plug!
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Hey thanks guys, I'll be sure to read those once I have free time again. Stupid finals.
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Robo Jesus
Padawan Learner

Post by Robo Jesus »

The New Order

I'm quite surprised none of you have mentioned this Harry Potter fanfiction yet. I'd say this is one of the best written Harry Potter fanfitions out there. Very dark.

Anarkia

This one is also among the top ten of the very best well written Harry Potter fanfictions out there. Very AU.
This is sickening... You sound like chapters from a self-help booklet! Prepare yourselves!
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

I am surprised that no one has mentioned this little jewel yet: The Dilgar War. The tale of the war that condemned a race to oblivion and made Earth a power to be reckoned in the Babylon 5 universe. It is very well written and is one of the very few non-crossover stories that has managed to catch my interest in the last months. For those interested, the story is much more advanced at SB.com
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Murazor wrote:I am surprised that no one has mentioned this little jewel yet: The Dilgar War. The tale of the war that condemned a race to oblivion and made Earth a power to be reckoned in the Babylon 5 universe. It is very well written and is one of the very few non-crossover stories that has managed to catch my interest in the last months. For those interested, the story is much more advanced at SB.com
That one interested me, but the writing is a bit weak.
Robo Jesus
Padawan Learner

Post by Robo Jesus »

I Know What’s Beneath the Snow Fields

A Final Fantasy fanfiction. I have no clue why, but on the page I linked to it's complete, while on ff.net it hasn't been updated in forever. Be warned though, this one is long.

The Essences Of Life

A story about General Grievous, a Bio-droid Engineer, and a Robot that likes to scratch his flat metal ass.

Dark Futures

A story of war between the kingdoms of Hyrule and Termina. Very dark. Very gritty. Very good.:D
This is sickening... You sound like chapters from a self-help booklet! Prepare yourselves!
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

Misunderstandings by Don Sample. Another quite good BTVS/SG1 story with Shelob as special guest star. He has some other stories that are most certainly worth reading.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

I'm starting on the fics mentioned here, Wow, this is a shitload to read.

I'm wondering, how do people find the good fics with all the bad?
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

just keep looking...better look at the review first to see how good can the story goes. If the reveiws is good, at least so impressed not only by the wrting, but can releate events and speech in the story, it is really good.

If the reviews looks like its mostly written by teenagers, and few adults, there is a possibility that it will suck.

Oh, another thing, there is a sequal, or at least a ending for Batman begins, lapses.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2779443/1/
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Court Martial
Nightwing is on trial by the JLA for murder.
Much better than I expected it to be and damn good characterizations of both Nightwing and Batman by the author.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Ryoga
Jedi Knight

Post by Ryoga »

Robo Jesus wrote:I Know What’s Beneath the Snow Fields

A Final Fantasy fanfiction. I have no clue why, but on the page I linked to it's complete, while on ff.net it hasn't been updated in forever. Be warned though, this one is long.
Also terrible. It reads like a 100-chapter-long Furcadia desc (bonus points to anyone who places the reference), and manages to no-sell pretty much everything that made the setting unique or interesting; where was all of Vincent's materia? Why didn't anyone have materia, for that matter? Did Yuffie steal it all or something? And somehow I doubt very much that Cloud and Tifa would have had much trouble with some punks with machineguns after killing frikkin' dragons.... :roll:
Robo Jesus
Padawan Learner

Post by Robo Jesus »

Ryoga wrote:Also terrible. It reads like a 100-chapter-long Furcadia desc (bonus points to anyone who places the reference), and manages to no-sell pretty much everything that made the setting unique or interesting; where was all of Vincent's materia? Why didn't anyone have materia, for that matter?
Ah, so you're saying thast the crux of a good Final Fantasy 7 fanfiction is Materia? What ever happened to characterization and PLOT? Oh, wait, I'm talking about Final Fantasy 7 here, aren't I? It's no wonder you would see things like characterization and plot and denounce it as having nothing to do with FF7.:roll:

If you want to bitch about it being cliche and putting way too much detail into things, or focusing way too fucking much on the characterizations (at times, it feels like you're drownining in the characterizations that are written), I would agree with you. However, you're bitching that the story doesn't play out like a retarded version of Dragon Ball Z, where everyone is some uber super sayan who depends entirely on their Materia while out slaying dragons.:roll:

And somehow I doubt very much that Cloud and Tifa would have had much trouble with some punks with machineguns after killing frikkin' dragons.... :roll:
Yes, because all bar owners and Waitresses keep machine guns, bazookas, and GIANT SWORDS behind the counters to use on customers who might get out of hand, regardless of the fact that putting weapons like that in a bar would be a waste of time, dangerous to the customers, and fucking retarded beyond belief.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

That Harry Potter and the Battle of the Wills is first rate. I actually found it a better read than The Half Blood Prince. Sister loved it as well, also rated it higher than THBP.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Dominus
Padawan Learner

Post by Dominus »

El Moose Monstero wrote:That Harry Potter and the Battle of the Wills is first rate. I actually found it a better read than The Half Blood Prince. Sister loved it as well, also rated it higher than THBP.
Agreed. I read it right before HBP was released here in the States and found the latter rather lacking in comparison. The ending was particularly poignant, no?

Another fantastic HP recommendation:

A Year Like None Other
In Harry's 6th year, a letter from Surrey sends him down a path he'd never have walked on his own.
Was originally featured on ff.net before it was pulled for some asinine reason or other. Currently has over 95 chapters and is still regularly updated, with at least two sequels on the way. A Snape-mentors-Harry story.
FOG3
Jedi Knight

Post by FOG3 »

Dominus wrote:Revelations: A Cynic's View of Pokemon

Takes a bloody sledgehammer to the idealistic, utopian world of the Pokemon anime. Very gritty and dark. That's really all that needs to be said. :wink:
Gritty? Dark?

Oh I see, HtH wanking of the worst Ranma 1/2 fanboy kind is gritty and dark. :roll: That should be subbed, a Fanma/Pokemon crossover where the author's at least honest enough to admit it has nothing to do with Ranma 1/2 and so at least changes the names and backstories. Followed by much wankery, as a sociopathic brain-dead criminal of the worst order, who's so indescreet he'd be caught in like five seconds (read the author, under alias ie Fanma) gets away much absurd stupid stuff.

Yes, author-boy doing the Terminator thing, simulatenously with the worst excesses of HtH wankers is just brilliant. This is more like a case in point on why SI is bad.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

FOG3 wrote:
Dominus wrote:Revelations: A Cynic's View of Pokemon

Takes a bloody sledgehammer to the idealistic, utopian world of the Pokemon anime. Very gritty and dark. That's really all that needs to be said. :wink:
Gritty? Dark?

Oh I see, HtH wanking of the worst Ranma 1/2 fanboy kind is gritty and dark. :roll: That should be subbed, a Fanma/Pokemon crossover where the author's at least honest enough to admit it has nothing to do with Ranma 1/2 and so at least changes the names and backstories. Followed by much wankery, as a sociopathic brain-dead criminal of the worst order, who's so indescreet he'd be caught in like five seconds (read the author, under alias ie Fanma) gets away much absurd stupid stuff.

Yes, author-boy doing the Terminator thing, simulatenously with the worst excesses of HtH wankers is just brilliant. This is more like a case in point on why SI is bad.
Eh, I thought it was readable at least, although the HtH bits were quite overdone. Still, I was kind of hoping for more of an actually dark take on the universe, since the idea does have some merit (addressing concepts like gladiatorial slavery and moral subjectivity and such). Alas, it did devolve quite quickly into wankery and subjects quite unrelated to the original idea.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Ryoga
Jedi Knight

Post by Ryoga »

Hey, I happen to check back in, and...ruh-roh. Touched a nerve, did I? This wouldn't happen to be your fanfic, would it Sparky? :lol:
Robo Jesus wrote: Ah, so you're saying thast the crux of a good Final Fantasy 7 fanfiction is Materia? What ever happened to characterization and PLOT? Oh, wait, I'm talking about Final Fantasy 7 here, aren't I? It's no wonder you would see things like characterization and plot and denounce it as having nothing to do with FF7.:roll:
No, I'm saying the crux of any good fanfic is to stay true to the setting, or at least acknowledge it. Stop building that strawman, fanboy, it's looking a little wobbly. Writing an FF7 fanfic where everyone is suddenly blessedly normal except for one or two people who've been author-wanked isn't 'characterization and plot', it's lazy writing. Rather akin to Traviss' famously tiny clone army.
Robo Jesus wrote: If you want to bitch about it being cliche and putting way too much detail into things, or focusing way too fucking much on the characterizations (at times, it feels like you're drownining in the characterizations that are written), I would agree with you. However, you're bitching that the story doesn't play out like a retarded version of Dragon Ball Z, where everyone is some uber super sayan who depends entirely on their Materia while out slaying dragons.:roll:
Strawman much? I'm not even going to dignify this with a response. It would be giving you too much credit.
Robo Jesus wrote:Yes, because all bar owners and Waitresses keep machine guns, bazookas, and GIANT SWORDS behind the counters to use on customers who might get out of hand, regardless of the fact that putting weapons like that in a bar would be a waste of time, dangerous to the customers, and fucking retarded beyond belief.
Yeah, hey, there's a great idea. 'We went on a big adventure and toppled a gigantic multinational corporation, making ourselves famous beyond belief as well as making us tons of enemies! ...what could we possibly need weapons for?' :roll:

EDIT: Removed a loose tag.
Dominus
Padawan Learner

Post by Dominus »

FOG3 wrote:*snip*
Apologies, I was caught up in other matters and never got beyond the second chapter. Needless to say, I had no idea it devolved into such a quagmire. Bloody hell, I didn't even know it was a crossover with Ranma 1/2 in the first place until you brought it up. :oops:

This is what I get for not reading the author's notes... or the story itself, for that matter. :banghead: