Picking apart GK's fanfic

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

seanrobertson wrote:I second that "ugh," but not for the reasons everyone is stating :)

To continue to deviate from the pack a bit, I've got to say, jeez, guys.
I realize the man himself never says as much in public, but Graham
wrote that story to *piss us off.* He's told me more than once how
it was geared to raise Warsie dandur--nothing less, nothing more.
Being on friendly terms with the guy helps. (He's not NEARLY as stupid
or ignorant as he's being made out to be in this thread...and though
I agree with Darth Michael in that "Portal" is masturbatory, I'm not
sure who's getting wanked off more: Graham's delusional take of
Wars vs. Trek, or all of the people that take his story so seriously!)

Graham's actually a good guy, and no, he's not a creationist--he's
a weak agnostic FWTW. Nice fellow. His website is really a lot of fun IMO, in spite of its mistakes. But for God's sake, *don't* take that story as a realistic take on SW vs. ST. For that matter, you might want to ignore ALL mentions of SI units on the site. If you can do that, you might enjoy it :) LOL.

Most can't get beyond that. I realize it is hard. But if you are to
look at his website, do *try*. It'll make the experience MUCH less
painful, my friends.

Sean
http://www.babtech-onthe.net/

P.S.--I wouldn't rag on the man's writing skills too much, either. I might
not think his take on the versus scenario is on target, but he's written
quite a lot of original science fiction. And in my capacity as an Eng.
literature degree holder (no, only *I* can wipe my ass with the degree,
thankyouverymuch :), I will say that what I've seen is very, very well-written stuff. Not James Joyce, but that's not what it aspires to be.

His website isn't that bad. It looks quite good, and has some excellent pictures and canon information. I agree with some of his rants, like Enterprise." And though he pulls information out of his ass, at least he shows it's speculation, unlike some other websites.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

Darth Wong wrote:True enough.

BTW, my personal advice for people who are thinking of writing a fanfic: just start writing. What's the worst that can possibly happen? People won't like it? So what? It's not as if you're going to lose your job, or your dick will shrivel up and fall off.

The act of writing requires practice, whether it be arguments, essays, news articles, or fiction stories. Even if you write a fanfic and it sucks, you will learn from the experience and your next one will be better.
Think about it. Now matter how bad a first fanfic might be, it will never be as bad as Portal. That's encouraging.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

"Think about it. Now matter how bad a first fanfic might be, it will never be as bad as Portal. That's encouraging."

That's right. Hey, Kaz, makes Star Destroyers Rampant sound pretty good, huh?

AAACK! Let... GO of... my THROAT..!
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Kazuaki Shimazaki
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kazuaki Shimazaki »

Eleas wrote:"Think about it. Now matter how bad a first fanfic might be, it will never be as bad as Portal. That's encouraging."

That's right. Hey, Kaz, makes Star Destroyers Rampant sound pretty good, huh?

AAACK! Let... GO of... my THROAT..!
Think of it this way, SDR was written as a direct response to stories like Portal. Sad as I'm to say this, Portal is not really all that bad in comparison to them.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

"Think of it this way, SDR was written as a direct response to stories like Portal. Sad as I'm to say this, Portal is not really all that bad in comparison to them."

Yeah, I know. "The Entire Imperial Fleet vs Deep Space Nine and Two Runabouts! Premise: SW and ST exist in the same galaxy!"

:shock:
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

I read SDR. What kind of trekkie are you? 22 gigaton turbolasers, 300 gigaton shields? Maybe for a 100 year old freighter! :D
Bender and God, Futurama
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:I read SDR. What kind of trekkie are you? 22 gigaton turbolasers, 300 gigaton shields? Maybe for a 100 year old freighter! :D
That was in the benighted days before AOTC:ICS came out, and all the Trekkies would only accept the absolute lowest possible figures for imperial firepower and shielding, while at the same time attacking those as far too high. The highest I remember them going was 2 GT (the old lower limit on the HTL, based on a scale-up of the LTL calculations).

But now that Saxton's scientific analysis of SW has been made official, the Imperial 200 gigaton heavy turbolasers and multi-megaton point defense mounts easily destroy any ST vessel short of the Voth.

(As an aside, it is simultaneously irritating and amusing to read the posts from the Trekkies complaining about ICS. What a bunch of fucktards, whining about how unfair it all is, and how none of the Warsies debate anymore. They just can't admit that their day has passed)
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

I love writing. mostly fantasy, as I don't know enough of the science to write sci fi, and I've prolly topped 350 pages by now in assorted online rpgs.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:I read SDR. What kind of trekkie are you? 22 gigaton turbolasers, 300 gigaton shields? Maybe for a 100 year old freighter! :D
That was in the benighted days before AOTC:ICS came out, and all the Trekkies would only accept the absolute lowest possible figures for imperial firepower and shielding, while at the same time attacking those as far too high. The highest I remember them going was 2 GT (the old lower limit on the HTL, based on a scale-up of the LTL calculations).

But now that Saxton's scientific analysis of SW has been made official, the Imperial 200 gigaton heavy turbolasers and multi-megaton point defense mounts easily destroy any ST vessel short of the Voth.

(As an aside, it is simultaneously irritating and amusing to read the posts from the Trekkies complaining about ICS. What a bunch of fucktards, whining about how unfair it all is, and how none of the Warsies debate anymore. They just can't admit that their day has passed)
That brings up something that's been bugging me for months. If 2 GT is a scale-up from the LTLs, then shouldn't we scale LTLs down from 200 GT? Giving us a 100X figure on current LTL calcs?
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Doomriser wrote:
Pablo Sanchez wrote:

That brings up something that's been bugging me for months. If 2 GT is a scale-up from the LTLs, then shouldn't we scale LTLs down from 200 GT? Giving us a 100X figure on current LTL calcs?
Unfortunately, that is bad logic. Weapons usually do not scale linearly, and we really have no way of telling how their scales work. For that matter, there are MANY systems that do not scale linearly. We cannot assume the yield of one from another. And BTW, we really don't know how big their LTL's are. They might extend for some distance below the decks of what we see.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Kazuaki Shimazaki
Jedi Council Member

Back then, those were top line and beyond. The glorious progress of the pro-SW side has left works that a year ago were beyond the imagination even of some pro-SW people far behind :D
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Frankly, I don't think there is anything to rip apart. It was written with the intent to piss off warsies, and succeeded beautifully.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Kazuaki Shimazaki
Jedi Council Member

I doubt it...

Considering the rest of his site, it seems more likely he GENUINELY feels what he wrote is the truth. Besides, winding people up is a lot more effective if you could wind them up with the truth, not with things that even you think are falsehoods :D
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Re: I doubt it...

Kazuaki Shimazaki wrote:Considering the rest of his site, it seems more likely he GENUINELY feels what he wrote is the truth. Besides, winding people up is a lot more effective if you could wind them up with the truth, not with things that even you think are falsehoods :D

I've read a few of his old old posts at ASVS. IIRC he thinks that way...
Bender and God, Futurama
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

Kazuaki Shimazaki wrote:
Back then, those were top line and beyond. The glorious progress of the pro-SW side has left works that a year ago were beyond the imagination even of some pro-SW people far behind :D
At the rate things are going, a Jawa will soon be able to take down the E-E in orbit.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Oootieee!
:D

No its not going to get THAT bad anytime soon :D

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Nobody
Youngling

Post by Nobody »

Doomriser wrote: At the rate things are going, a Jawa will soon be able to take down the E-E in orbit.
Of COURSE!!! He's got an ION GUN!! :lol:
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Forget the ion gun look at the scrap heap of a droid over there. Anyways what kind of funny Battle driod is a Bolo Mark XXVI, anyways....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Got one better, "Dahak, what kind of a lousy name for a droid is Dahak"