Dies Irae (Day of Wrath)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Dies Irae (Day of Wrath)

Post by NecronLord »

Chapter 1

Earth, Amazon Rainforest; {Imperial Year 2755}

Nairdesh Sudaan beat his way through the undergrowth. The trail was overgrown. He had been away far too long. The treatments still brought back unpleasant memories. Time would tell. As he stopped engrossed in introverted thought, the terminal in his pocket began beeping incessantly.

Taking it out and turning the device on he looked at the small screen. A man appeared on the screen, a familiar man, he had worked with Nairdesh in the ISA. "Good Morning, Kovar, what brings you to my little neck of the jungle?" The man chuckled briefly before getting to the point "I need to pay you a visit." The man looked stern. "We need you." Nairdesh was taken aback.
"Absolutely not, I quit, finished, over! I am no longer an agent."
"You are the only one for the mission."
"Nonsense, this is the Imperium, there is always a plan B, and C, and D..."
"Not this time, it's about New Rhodes."
"That colony is dead, abandoned!" snapped Nairdesh with irritation, before closing down his terminal and angrily removing the power cell.

He continued his journey back through the jungle. His home was up ahead totally hidden by the dense trees. Many years ago this jungle had been almost extinct. Tens of thousands of species were completely destroyed. Since that time, humans had matured enough to correct the destruction they had caused to their home world. A grid of sentient computers oversaw the re-growth of habitats such as this. Stratospheric force field projectors were able to protect humans in them from wild animals, and the animals from humans.

Nairdesh pushed his way through the jungle in frustration. He had just spent over a week recovering from his wounds both physical and mental. He was not going back. He reached the clearing that housed his home. It was a five story high construction designed to cause as little disturbance as possible to the local environment. The building was, by imperium standards not expansive. The landing pad outside was partly overgrown, he had been away far too long.

Keying in the code to open the door he found with some relief, that the house had kept itself clean as he had instructed it to. The calm, carefully modulated voices of the computer uttered a phrase that annoyed him greatly "There are fifty eight new messages on your public channel, and one new priority message on your personal channel."

His first instinct was to delete the new message, it was undoubtedly from Kovar. He had a feeling however that he would end up seeing the message anyway. He stepped into the two-story function room that led off the hall. "Computer"he said "privacy mode and display most recent private message." The windows became opaque, and the room was plunged into darkness. The holographic artwork in the centre of the room flicked out to be replaced with the image of the deputy director of his old ISA taskforce. The man was tall and lean, of Asian ancestry. He spoke.

"Mr Sudaan, I know that you have retired from the service. Yet we must ask for your skills once again. You no doubt remember, even after treatment, the invasion of the New Rhodes colony. Your heroism saved the lives of a great many people.
Unfortunately we failed to evacuate everyone. An AI was left behind. Normally this would be an unfortunate casualty. This time however the AI was a strategic planning AI. We cannot risk the possibility that the K'runn will succeed in extracting valuable data from him.
We cannot allow this to happen. We are mounting a mission to rescue the AI. If it fails, or the K'runn succeed in cracking his defences, then they will have a major intelligence advantage over us.
You were the last agent on New Rhodes during the Invasion, you are certainly the only one well enough to send on a mission. We need you, Mr Sudaan"

The image paused. Nairdesh slumped down into a chair. He knew the ISA's methods; they would not give up. He knew that he had to submit to their wishes. If the mission failed due to his absence he would never be able to live with himself. He understood the uncounted deaths that could come from the K'runn gaining an intelligence advantage. The prospect of returning to that organisation, if only for a short time was, distressing and uncomfortable. They had left him they had betrayed him, eventually they returned for him, but not before he had been taken captive...

He wrenched himself from the self-reflection; the needs of the many outweighed his own petty preferences. He would go and face his daemons, even if it cost him his life, especially if it cost him his life.

The next day Nairdesh was sitting in the back of an atmospheric shuttle on the way to the ISA headquarters. A young man attended. He could not have been more than twenty-two, probably still a trainee. The building loomed up ahead, imposing in its austere design. The cavernous hole in the sheer wall that housed the landing bays was about two thirds of the way up the side of the building.

The shuttle banked into the huge space. The control board crackled "You are cleared for landing in bay A-Forty Seven. Switch your controls to remote pilot now." The vehicle shuddered as the distant computer took control of it.

The shuttle landed gently on the polished smooth floor of the docking bay. A man dressed in a minimalist suit came though the door at the far end. He stood at the vehicle door, and greeted Nairdesh as he walked down the ramp. "Good morning sir, please follow me." The man turned, without waiting, and returned though the door in the far wall. Nairdesh followed hesitantly.

The room beyond was a large lobby of sorts. He noticed several standard concealed scanners. It was good to see that standards hadn't slipped recently. There was a staircase leading down to another level. They stood at the top step. Below was a veritable garden of sorts. A tall, dark haired woman was walking confidently trough it. She climbed the stairs towards them. When she arrived she shook his hand warmly. "Mr Sudaan, I am Alka Alzamora the new supervisor of section 12, Task force 2, of course."
"Obviously." He replied curtly, looking pointedly at the snake symbol on her shoulder. "The military wing."
"Quite, We don't have all that long. The 'False Profit' will be here to pick you up in about half an hour."
"And I take it 'everything will be explained en route'?" he replied sarcastically. Evidently his tone was lost on her, she replied "Quite, if you will follow please?"

Comments suggestions improvements wanted also a title would be nice :D
Last edited by NecronLord on 2002-11-20 02:28am, edited 1 time in total.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Nice! Sorry but that's the only thing I have to say, other than Keep it Up!
Image Image
Evil Sadistic Bastard
Hentai Tentacle Demon

Post by Evil Sadistic Bastard »

Interesting beginning. I wait with baited breath.
Believe in the sign of Hentai.

BotM - Hentai Tentacle Monkey/Warwolves - Evil-minded Medic/JL - Medical Jounin/Mecha Maniacs - Fuchikoma Grope Attack!/AYVB - Bloody Bastards.../GALE Force - Purveyor of Anal Justice/HAB - Combat Medical Orderly

Combat Medical Orderly(Also Nameless Test-tube Washer) : SD.Net Dept. of Biological Sciences
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

And the continuation of the above chapter.

He followed her across the lobby to a lift. They stepped inside. She keyed in the floor followed by a thumbprint scan. The lift rushed upwards. She leaned against the wall of the lift. "So you are the infamous Nairdesh?" He looked at her, contemplating for a moment before replying.
"I am." She smiled at him. The lift door opened there was a small alcove and a corridor outside. She turned and they walked out into the corridor.

It was an office level, most likely somewhere quite high in the building. The pair turned a corner. Several mini drones patrolled ahead. He noted that they were probably going to see someone important. At the end of the corridor was a unmarked gunmetal grey door. It opened. There was a short hallway beyond, another door at the end. The far door had an expensive baroque wood façade Stencilled in black lettering were two words; Supreme Director.

Nairdesh caught his breath. In seventy years here, he had never met the Supreme Director. Alka straightened herself up to her full height before pressing the button inlaid into the wall. Everyone that pressed this button was nervous. It was an irrational fear. The security systems had never actually attacked anyone who was authorised, there was always a first time though. The panel changed from red to green. There was a flicker in front of the door as the force field over it disengaged.

The door opened. The 'office' beyond was more like a throne room. Vast holograms hung in the air of the darkened room. Showing the galaxy in great detail. A man stood at an illuminated table to one side. The sinister, green light illuminated him like some malevolent daemon. They stepped into the room. Alka stood at parade-ground attention. "Sir?" she said. The man looked up.
"Yes Ms. Alzamora?"
"I have brought Mr Sudaan as you requested sir," she paused
"Shall I leave sir?" He motioned with his hand for her to stay.
"Good morning Mr Sudaan, I trust that you have decided to take up our request?"
"I have" he replied
"Excellent, I summoned you here to wish you success on your mission."
"Thank you," a pause "sir." He almost choked on the word.
"Oh and to tell you both that Alka will be joining you on this mission."
"Me sir?" she interrupted "I am not a field agent." She added.
"Yes, but we have decided that it is important that a senior agent commands this mission."
"There are more qualified agents available sir."
"We have decided that you should take the assignment. Good day, and" He paused, as if searching for the correct phrase. "Good luck."

Nairdesh followed the dark haired woman out of the room. When the door closed she adopted a furious aspect. "Well I suppose I'd better prepare myself." She growled. They turned back the way they had come and entered the lift, which was still there, again. Thinking to herself that she may as well get on with the briefing anyway she gave him the pre-prepared speech. "You, we will be accompanied by a shroud infiltrator team, they should be on the ship already." She leaned against the wall of the lift stabbing lazily at the panel. "Got to stop off at my office first." She muttered pressing her hand against the panel.

The lift came to a stop at a large room. The scene was of pandemonium. "Welcome to my domain" she said sarcastically. "What's going on?" he asked, aghast that the usually impeccable organisation seemed to have been reduced to chaos. She shot him a caustic look. "You may or may not have noticed, but while you were away we went to war."

Alka climbed the stairway that was against the far wall up to the balcony her office backed onto. Quickly locking all her accounts she packed some things, took an energy pistol and left the office. Catching sight of her new 'partner' down below she hurried to join him, hurrying him into the lift saying "We should get going soon, the ship is waiting."
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Oh, and theres a guest appearence for whoever gives me a good title. ok a reasonable title.
Evil Sadistic Bastard
Hentai Tentacle Demon

Dies Irae (Day of Wrath)?

BotM - Hentai Tentacle Monkey/Warwolves - Evil-minded Medic/JL - Medical Jounin/Mecha Maniacs - Fuchikoma Grope Attack!/AYVB - Bloody Bastards.../GALE Force - Purveyor of Anal Justice/HAB - Combat Medical Orderly

Combat Medical Orderly(Also Nameless Test-tube Washer) : SD.Net Dept. of Biological Sciences
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Oh yes. Very nice.
Evil Sadistic Bastard
Hentai Tentacle Demon

For best results you must know the music... Go to Kazaa and search for Dies Irae, I'll be online... Trust me, it's worth it.