Deus Ex Lumina

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Deus Ex Lumina

Post by rhoenix »

This is my first attempt at a sci-fi fanfic - my only other story was loosely an Exalted fan fiction, and therefore fantasy.

This does cross a few universes, though set in the Star Trek universe, post Star Trek: Nemesis, and the end of Voyager. It will include an element or two from Star Wars, and a bit more from StarCraft - however, it's only because a) I thought it would be interesting to see them together, and b) they fit the parts of the story I needed them to play.

I welcome any and all feedback, though constructive is the most useful.

"There's no end to the accursed things! Are you certain this is the evacuation route?" The slim, darkly-clothed Dark Templar Nassine was covering the larger cave opening, her standard warp blade in her left hand joined by a psionic blade on her right tearing through the Zerg who managed to get close enough, even as she managed to retreat with the others.

The de facto leader of the scattered group, Kessen, glanced back at the encroaching Zerg with a glare borne of pure anger, threw his arm at them, and caused whitish-blue lightning to course like living things amongst the Zerg. Many fell, but many more were on their way. Even as he ran ahead once more, he expressed "Yes, and we're very close now. We just need a bit more time."

Growling through the telepathic link, Nassine looked at the landscape behind the remaining Zerg with a mixture of deep sadness, and regret. She was on her people's homeworld, the beautifully green jewel of Aiur, after not having set foot on it for more than two hundred years, banished as she was for daring to think that the Protoss great telepathic link should be supplemented with individual creativity. She was on her homeworld at last, after so many years of calling the deep black space itself as her home, and it was falling before her eyes.

The Zerg had managed to multiply exponentially, their air- and space-borne minions able to assault forces on any battleground chosen. Their deep, primal hunger to consume, devour, taint, and evolve into something even worse managing to take down even the Protoss homeworld of Aiur. How the mighty had fallen, she thought to herself, even as she efficiently cut the remainder of the Zerg pursuit down with precise and swift slices of her blades. Even as she cut down the remaining ones, she knew that this would be her last chance to see Aiur.

This threat of the Zerg had evolved from an infestation to monitor to a threat so terrible, it bound together fractured members of Aiur's people to defend her in her darkest hour, and she was falling. "We failed you, my beautiful home of Aiur," she whispered along the great link, hoping the great planet itself would hear her. "We failed you, but I vow that your children will come again to free you." At this moment, she somewhat envied humans, for their ability to express sadness with tears. It felt appropriate, at this point.

Even as she ran towards the carrier that would take she and her no longer unlikely companions off the falling planet of Aiur, to regroup at Nassine's people's new homeworld of Shakuras. A few technicians, only a scant few Zealots left alive, a few more Templar, and her, as a guide.

They dashed aboard the cavernous Carrier, the technicians performing a few last-second repairs before dashing aboard themselves. Nassine, Kessen, and the others managed to get aboard right after the last technicians, who quickly sealed the door behind them. Kessen called the order for liftoff, dashing toward the command bridge. Nassine followed him, looking curiously around as she ran, as she had never been aboard a ship as large as a Carrier before.

The huge ship's sides glowed an unearthly blue light, making the surrounding countryside shudder slightly as the great ship rose majestically upwards. As the ship rose higher and faster, they began to see other ships, large and small, fleeing the surface of the stricken planet, already beginning to show huge patches of the sickly purple Zerg creep infestation. Worse, they saw Zerg firing upon the fleeing ships, the concentrated fire bringing down many Protoss ships helplessly back down to the planet below, or simply exploding from the onslaught.

The great ship's shields had already been targetted, and Kessen urged the ship to go faster, and faster still. The shields began to be battered more, and more still, even as Kessen cursed (which surprised Nassine), even as he began evasive tactics, the huge ship moving with surprising agility, managing to clear the falling planet's atmosphere, and gravitational pull at last.

Then, she felt it. She had spent many years in the cold depths of space, her psionic abilities grown accustomed to the strange things to be found, such as an unstable region of space almost directly in front of them. She quickly called a warning, confirmed by the navigational computer. Kessen forced the ship to perform a swift 90-degree turn, hitting the engines at full power once the ship had turned to give an extra boost.

In horror, Kessen watched wide-eyed, unable to react fast enough as the unstable anomaly exploded into a wormhole, the ship's burst of energy only forcing the ship directly through it. Kessen tried desperately to force the ship to go in reverse, but it was already too late. Everyone aboard swiftly felt the universe folding in on them.

The first thing Kessen thought of was that his leg pained him, and greatly. This made him open his eyes, for it also made him realize that he was alive. He looked around, a large headache making itself known quite bluntly to him at the same time as he saw Nassine.

She was slowly pulling herself up off the ground, stretching each arm and leg carefully before standing fully, and looking around. Seeing Kessen's leg, she narrowed her glowing blue eyes. "Are you alright?"

He returned her gaze with a nod, privately impressed that the Dark Templar would show compassion. He had always heard that they were cold, silent, invisible killers with invisible blades that struck without warning. After he had met Nassine, he was somewhat surprised to learn that what he had heard was absolutely true. Once he found out that despite being banished, she was willing to come to the aid of the very countrymen that had banished her for being what amounted to a heretic, he also had a respect for her. She followed a different code than his own, and she had talents that differed from his, but she was still a Protoss.

Kessen slowly got to his feet, nodding at last to Nassine, and then checking the navigational computer for their position and status. He blinked, and then shook his head.

Aside from this Carrier ship, the Trenthor, two shuttles, three scouts, and two Corsairs hung in space next to them. Kessen could already feel that the entire great psychic link of their race extended just to their ships, now. Setting that aside for now, he informed Nassine of their position. "According to our navigational computers, we are no longer in our galaxy. We are, in fact, in the recently detected G-174 galaxy. While we were unconscious, the navigational computer was thankfully mapping from scratch once it detected we were in unknown space."

Nassine raised her eyebrows. This only confirmed her awful feeling of...being a long, long way from familiar territory. However, another fact disturbed her. "Is it just me, or is that anomaly completely gone?"

Kessen looked with glared eyebrows as he worked swiftly with the navigational computer. He shook his head eventually. "There is no remaining trace of the wormhole that brought us here," he expressed sourly. "According to the sensor logs, the burst of energy of our ship trying to make the leap to warp speed caused the wormhole's exit to change, and for the wormhole to shut completely half a second after the last ship exited."

Nassine shook her head. "I'm not sure what to say. I don't think my services as 'guide' are needed anymore. What are you going to do with myself and the other Dark Templar?" Her suspicion seemed to hang like spiderwebs around her message through the psychic link.

Kessen looked at her for a moment, and then replied. "Why the suspicion, so soon? To the best of my knowledge, you, I, the others on this ship, and the crew onboard the seven other ships are the only remaining Protoss, to the best of our knowledge. I was thinking if needed, I would ask for your help, and for the others' help as well." He looked at her again for a moment before continuing. "Please, speak your grievances now. The sooner you do and we get past it, the better chance we all will have of seeing another century pass."

With half-lidded eyes, Nassine looked at Kessen thoughtfully before ultimately shaking her head once. "Forgive my paranoia, but my experience with your particular title haven't given me the fondest of memories. We were crossed before by some wearing your title."

Feeling suddenly as old as his centuries, Kessen replied tiredly. "Very well, all I ask then is that you help me for now. If I do something to cross you, then I assure you it will not be intentional, for I feel we must look a bit beyond our own, personal concerns. We are now the only ones of our race that we know about, with no concievable way home. I think now would be the best time to pool our knowledge and talents, don't you?"

After looking at him appraisingly, Nassine nodded once. "Very well. All I will say is that I will be watching you closely, for now."

Kessen stared neutrally at her for a moment. Well, he supposed it could have been worse. "In that case, I will need your help to find a habitable planet. The very first thing we need is a place to call home."

After consulting with the other ships' captains, and the sensor data, they established that in their immediate region of space, there were two stars with solar systems nearby, and probes indicated that none of the planets in either system were inhabited, or showed signs of habitation or indeed civilization of any kind. However, a few of the planets looked looked promising for colonization.

After a few hours of exploration, inspecting the planets of each solar system more closely, they finally agreed on the second planet out from the reddish-orange star, as it had large traces of valuable minerals and metals, as well as a breathable atmosphere. They named the system Khala, and after some discussion, named the planet Tassadar.

Going by the drill, they took far longer to establish a first base than usual, but that was because they couldn't simply warp in any buildings - they had to be built. However, within a week, a habitable base was implemented, and the robotic Probes were already beginning to build support structures.

Feeling almost peaceful, Kessen commented to all other Protoss with him at this base. "As most of you have felt, things will not be peaceful for long, so we must be vigilant and swift. We will likely have unknown visitors from this galaxy, or worse, the scourge-like Zerg will find a way to follow us to this remote place. Stand fast though, some of us may have come here from different walks of life, but right now, one another here is all we have."

Nassine glanced at the shipyard already under construction, and felt resolute, even as she knew this small bastion of Protoss might truly be all the Protoss left, and they were in an unknown galaxy. She only hoped the local spacegoing wildlife was friendly.
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Chapter II

"Now set it back down, Wesley. Just as gently as you lifted it." The Traveller watched the large boulder hovering somewhat undecidedly in the air, before slowly sinking back down, and finally where it had originally rested.

Panting with effort, Wesley Crusher released his mental hold on the huge block of minerals at last, relieved to note that he hadn't just imagined lifting a huge boulder out of the ground without touching it, and then set it back down. He was growing used to this sense, a grasp of what he thought of as the universal heartbeat, the energy that flows within all things. He had asked his mentor, the Traveller more than once what this energy was called, but each time, the Traveller had told him that he, and the other students, would have to name it themselves.

This was the first mention he'd heard that he was not alone in this apprenticeship of sorts, journeying for years now with a being that was able to traverse the distances between planets and others places as simply as opening a portal, and stepping through. However, in all their travels, it was simply he with the Traveller. He had met the other two a year ago, though they were still trained separately for now. A tall, slim, calculating Klingon woman named Alynna, and Hugh, a former Borg, now...something else. The three of them seemed to have a kinship from the beginning, as though it was for the best that they become friends. The three, though suspicious of one another at first, had become close friends.

Over the years, the Traveller had helped him to explore the possibilities of this talent he and the others possessed. He had learned how to simply be, and let the universal willful energy flow through him, giving him a much stronger and clearer intuition. He had also gained the ability to sense the emotions and to some degree intent of other beings, and now apparently the ability to help him move large, bulky objects by concentrating. The thought made him smirk slightly.

"Well done, Wesley. Now, I hope you understand how to help the energy flow properly to accomplish what you desire." The Traveller spoke meaningfully, though looked relaxed. "You have learned much, and I think it is time at last you met the other apprentices for an important meeting."

Wesley narrowed his eyes. "Why was there a delay in the first place in meeting them? Why couldn't have we learned about all this together, as a class or something?"

The Traveller smiled gently. "Each of you learn differently, so it was decided that you would be in a position best to learn with each tutor having but a single student. Your talents differ slightly, as well."

Sighing, Wesley shrugged in resignation. "Alright. How much longer from now do we meet them?"

Already walking toward the flat plane ahead that would be best to make a portal, he looked back at Wesley before speaking. "Very shortly, Wesley. Do you fully understand the significance of the three of you?"

Shaking his head, Wesley had to admit he hadn't. "No. What's so important about it, besides not telling me about it until today?"

Smiling a bit more thoughtfully, the Traveller paused for a moment before replying. "Today is the proper day. All of you are secure in the basics of your training now, and can meet one another as adepts, not apprentices. Certain events have happened as well that show that this is the proper time for you three to gather your strengths."

Walking with the tall Traveller, Wesley narrowed his eyebrows again. "What kind of 'certain events' are you talking about?"

He saw the Traveller was already concentrating on connecting this point in the space/time continuum with another. The portal opened like a yawn in the air in front of them, unfolding into a roughly circular portal to a flat, nondescript plain. The Traveller opened his eyes as the portal opened, looking again at Wesley. "All will be explained. Come, the others are here."

Following his mentor through the tear in space itself, he glanced behind him to see the portal swiftly fold in on itself, becoming as if it never had existed. Looking in front of him, he saw the flat, rocky plain extended for a miles, though two figures stood in the visible distance.

They walked in silence, Wesley feeling the intentions of the two, feeling a mixture of curiosity and suspicion from Alynna, and mild curiosity from Hugh.

The Traveller went directly to the business at hand. "You three are unique in this galaxy, as you are the first to exhibit talent to control an energy force that as yet has no name in this galaxy. It will be up to you three, as the first to have this talent and to teach the skill to temper it to others who have it, to give it a name."

Now, Wesley understood, though it still seemed a bit strange. "Traveller, why haven't you given it a name, since you obviously know how to use it?"

The Traveller nodded, though smiled after he finished. "My talents with it go in a very different direction than yours, as you have seen. However, I can teach you the talents, but the name for it, and the advancement of its skill lies with you three."

Nodding, though still somewhat suspicious, Wesley looked at the other two again. Alynna was slightly taller than he, though slender. Her voice at first had surprised him somewhat - it still held the slight growling undertone typical of her people, but it was much more calm than he expected. "So Wesley, since you're the last one here, do you have any ideas?"

He frowned slightly. "Well, apart from somewhat surprised, not really. It should have a good, basic, though strong name."

The being Hugh, whom he now knew was something other than Borg, spoke up. "It appears to assist all of us with an energy that can be directed. What about calling it 'the Force?'"

Shaking her head, Alynna spoke up. "No, I'm sure that's been taken already."

Wesley suddenly had an idea. "What about calling it 'essence'? It feels almost as if I'm pulling on some primal energy when I use it."

Nodding after a moment, Alynna looked at him appraisingly. "Not bad, the name should work for now. What do you think?" She looked at Hugh.

Hugh looked much different than the last time he, and the group of Borg with him were severed from the Collective. His implants now were much more subtle, and quite different in style than the normal Borg implants, if indeed there is any true "style" to Borg implantation. Hugh's skin was a somewhat light tan, instead of the chalk-like white of normal. His mechanical sensor arm had been replaced with a normal, though mechanical arm that still blended in well with his other implants, few though they were.

An obvious optical sensor replaced his left eye, though the design was much more subtle, looking almost as if he had a normal eye, if he were seen from the side. He also lacked all the normal Borg suit, wearing basic clothes and shoes instead. He replied after thinking a moment. "I think the name is appropriate."

The Traveller smiled at this. "At last, you have a name for the force that flows through each of you, and binds you three together with a great gift in common. I pronounce each of you done with your training officially." He paused, and watched their reactions. After a few moments, he continued.

"The reason all this seems to bind together is that the time at which you three have completed your training, a new event has occurred in this galaxy, something which has not been seen for many millenia. A wormhole opened from another galaxy, and refugees from a distant war have arrived here approximately an hour ago. I will take you to the planet they have decided to call home in this galaxy, because it would be best if you three met them before others did."

Alynna blinked once. "So we are to make first contact with another race? Why not someone who's a proper diplomat?"

The Traveller smiled. "You will see after you meet them. Come."
ElPintoGrande
Youngling

Post by ElPintoGrande »

Space nerd Wil Wheaton is a Jedi? Well, we're doomed now aren't we? :shock:

All that aside interesting premise.
Yay! Midget Toss!
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Don't worry, I'm not copying from the Star Wars universe here, there will be differences. And, it allows for a good couple twists to be thrown in.
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

As much as this pains me to say and do this, I'm going to be quite up-front here. I screwed up by posting first draft ideas here before I went to sleep that day, especially because here, posts cannot be edited once posted.

This does not mean I'm going to abandon this idea. It does mean, however, that I'm going to approach this properly and write this out well before it's posted here again.

In short: expect a new thread entitled "Deus Ex Lumina [take two]" in the near future. I apologize for any and all inconvenience.

Why yes, I feel retarded, thanks for asking.