Children of the Ancients

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I like to imagine Carter actually said "Shit, I said thousand megatons? I meant trillion megatons." off camera somewhere. 8)
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

This is great, and disturbing on some levels. I keep having this image of Picard getting snaked.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Without a gate network, the Goa'uld infrastructure would collapse quickly. I'm still trying to figure out if Samuel Carter is related to anyone we know ;)
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Without a gate network, the Goa'uld infrastructure would collapse quickly. I'm still trying to figure out if Samuel Carter is related to anyone we know ;)
Well, Captain Carter did have a brother, who did indeed have kids when she dragged dad there.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Chris OFarrell wrote:
ggs wrote: The exploding stargate with the 3 gigaton explosion, was just the energy in the local buffer. Not the naquadah itself blowing up.
Ummmm yes it was.
We have seen what a small amount of naquadah can do to a nuke, those 1 gigaton ICBMs the USA cobbled together sure as hell didnt have more naquadah than the stargate does.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

ggs wrote:
Chris OFarrell wrote:
ggs wrote: The exploding stargate with the 3 gigaton explosion, was just the energy in the local buffer. Not the naquadah itself blowing up.
Ummmm yes it was.
We have seen what a small amount of naquadah can do to a nuke, those 1 gigaton ICBMs the USA cobbled together sure as hell didnt have more naquadah than the stargate does.
And I would like to point that after Carter's "two to three thousand megatons" statement, all the scientists were worried about scenarios that would leave Earth "unable to sustain life as we know it" and that they hoped that dropping the gate in the middle of the Atlantic they would save someone. Considering that even the smallest mass extinction event will be at least above the 1E5 megatons line, there are grounds to put the 3 GT figure as doubtful.
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Without a gate network, the Goa'uld infrastructure would collapse quickly. I'm still trying to figure out if Samuel Carter is related to anyone we know ;)
And what about Margaret :D Simpson :lol: O'Neill? One wonders how much is remembered by the family. And it would be sweet if certain space zombies were somehow related with the 'cators.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I'm confused. We're bringing together SG1, SW, and ST. is the SW "galaxy" pegasus or something?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Well, let's see...

If the SGC was destroyed by war, then no one would have sent back-up to Pegasus at the end of the last season, Atlantis would have been self-destructed.

So basically, I'm not including Atlantis in this fanfic.

And as for Margaret (Maggie) Simpson O'neill... *cough*Jack's clone*cough*
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I'm confused. We're bringing together SG1, SW, and ST. is the SW "galaxy" pegasus or something?
The starwars galaxy doesnt even need to be inside our light cone of the observable universe from Earth.

With the transit times for stuff in the stargate network being the sunny side of ludricious speed, it really doesnt matter. Also we know the stargate doesnt even have to connect to the identical time zone, so the starwars galaxy could really be "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away".
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

ggs wrote:
Chris OFarrell wrote:
Ummmm yes it was.
Carter explicitly says that the overloaded capacitors will detonate the naquadah with a yield of 2-3 thousand megatons in Redemption.

Those one Gigaton nukes used a nucelar warhead to energise the naquadah...and it looks like 1200 megatons is the theoretical maximum for this kind of yeild boosintng. Given that Earth has plenty of naquadah now, but still only has 1200 megatons bombs being deployed, nothing any higher despite our advances in technology. At a guess adding more naquadah will only get rapidly diminishing returns in terms of greater energy, so you just put said extra Naquadah into another nuke.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Chris OFarrell wrote:Carter explicitly says that the overloaded capacitors will detonate the naquadah with a yield of 2-3 thousand megatons in Redemption.
After watching Redemption part 1 & 2 again, it looks my stance was wrong. Since the Stargate is a giant superconductor ring, after x amount of power "the naquadah will become changed and then explode".

However the comments about the fallout, strongly suggest that the vast bulk of the naquadah will not be comsumed by the reaction. Radioactive naquadah would be horrific.
Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Post by Prozac the Robert »

Jaepheth wrote:Well, let's see...

If the SGC was destroyed by war, then no one would have sent back-up to Pegasus at the end of the last season, Atlantis would have been self-destructed.

So basically, I'm not including Atlantis in this fanfic.
I'm not so sure. Even in the first timeline, the shield might have lasted hundreds of years acording to Rodney. So it might still be intact, but anyone going there will get wet very quickly...
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Author’s Notes: Well, it’s been quite awhile hasn’t it? I have very little time to work on this now that school has started back up and I’ve changed my major to Applied Mathematics. Anywho, I hope you enjoy this newest chapter and the story in general (again, I apologize for chapter snooze… err…. Chapter two) After SG1 season 8 and before season 9 started, I had heard rumors of the Orii. That’s when I thought up a back story. To make a long story short, my assumptions turned out to be very, very wrong and my backstory now steps on canon 8 ways from Sunday. I included it anyway though because y’all might enjoy it.

Chapter 10

With the influx of reference material that the expedition team has sent back, we have been able to better translate some of the inscriptions and other writings we found at the original site. The attached file is a much more accurate translation of some documents we found encoded in a crystal memory device deep within the original dig site. The first appears to be intended for a public forum, while the following are clearly personal messages.
***as usual, uncertain translations are offset in stars, notes are offset in triple stars***

***corrupted data*** … did we not act? On the off chance that a peace could be *forged*? Is it truly morally repugnant for a *sentience* to *destroy* another in order to survive? Is that truly the path to *enlightenment*? The *destroyers* did not show such restraint when they *infected* us with the great *plague*. We had the *technology* to *wipe* them out, but the *council* decided it would be better to *flee*.
When we *came* to this *galaxy* we encountered a *sentience*, the ***phonetic: rack-at-ann***, who were *like* us, but also like the *destroyers*. They used their *connection* to the *life field* to destroy and enslave. Their *machines*, like ours, were *sensitive* to the *life field*. For this reason the great *plague* infected them as well, and before we could *develop* our *solution* they disappeared, we know not where. Despite being *forbidden* to do so by direct *edict* of the *council*, in their *behavior* I have *researched* and found why we failed against the *destroyers*.
We have forgotten *hate*, we have forsaken *desire*, we have neglected *ambition* and we are *weaker* for it. Let us then *find* again what was *lost*, and return to *crush* the *destroyers* lest they find a *way* across the great *void*, or worse, find a *way* to *discover* our great *city* where it *sleeps* beneath the *waves*.

~***official title (possibly comparable to ‘doctor’)*** *Seth Ori*

***Second message begins***

Cythe my love, what have you done? The *council* has ordered your *detainment* and the *populace* is *confused* and divided. Why have you forsaken the *path* when we are so close to *enlightenment*? I can feel the *darkness* upon your *words*, and even from this great distance I can feel *taint* in your very *soul*. Please, return to me.

~ Altaere Desala

***Third message begins***

I have heard stories my love… dark, terrible things. Have you truly fallen so far? What *evil* poison have you *tasted* in that galaxy? The council has claimed you *killed* the Geedai *guardians* sent to *detain* you, but far worse are the rumors of your *experiments*. Please, I beg of you, return to me, I am certain the council will be merciful if you but *repent*. Please Seth, you are breaking my heart.

~Altaere Desala

***Fourth message begins***

Why have you not responded? Do you no longer *love* me? Are you even still capable of *love*? The *evidence* is irrefutable against both you and those who follow your *twisted teachings*. The man I loved would never have done the *dark deeds* whispered in the *halls* of Terra. You are dead to me Seth, I renounce you; I renounce your *twisted teachings*, and from now and for as long as I am able, I shall *fight* you.

~Altaere Desala

Counselor’s Log Stardate 52712.1

Thorough sensor scans of the Old-American Nature Preserve have yielded no clue as to who may have tortured Mr. Carter. As such, I am faced with an increasing possibility that the physical scars may be self-inflicted. Though the search of his room and personal effects turned up no equipment that could cause such scars, it would be possible to use a holodeck to cause such marks if the safety protocols were off… If the marks are self-inflicted, it would suggest a mental condition stretching back farther than his trip into the forest… possibly a bad drug reaction finally pushing him over the edge…
Ah, screw it, it’s too late for this. It’s not like Carter’s going anywhere, I’ll continue this tomorrow… I’m going to bed.

“There, about one and a half clicks south of the ruins.” Stated Picard as he located a clearing large enough to land the shuttlecraft.

Geordi was busy at a control panel running surface scans to the best of his ability. Even at this range the interference of the ruptured subspace combined with the inherent electromagnetic environment of the planet proved to be murder on sensor readings. Ensign Zolo was going over the medical equipment while Lieutenant O’neill double checked the equipment she had packed.

The shuttle had landed before the silence broke again.

Geordi triple checked the scans before speaking up. “Uh oh”

Picard looked up from securing his field pack and archeology tools, “What is it Geordi?”

Geordi answered, “The local soil and flora are somehow emitting lower sigma-band radiation in excess of thirty four point seven…” “A dampening field” interjected O’neill. “That’s correct lieutenant, a dampening field. Our phasers are going to be useless outside the shuttle’s shielding, and tricorders are going to have very limited range. And given the poor resolution of our scans, I can’t guarantee that plants are the only native life forms out there.”

As Picard contemplated this recent turn of events O’neill turned to her equipment pack and began to rummage around inside soon producing several small black metallic objects.
A sharp clicking sound broke Picard’s concentration and brought his attention to the items O’neill was now placing in pouches attached to a non-regulation utility belt.

“Lieutenant… is that what I think it is?” inquired Picard.

“Only if you think it’s a pistol, sir. I like to be prepared for anything.” came O’neill’s reply.

“Where did you get such a crude weapon?” asked ensign Zolo, barely masking the derision in his voice.

O’neill smiled as she answered, “A friend of mine at the academy got some of his engineering buddies to make it for me. And I prefer to think of it as a reliable weapon, it is, after all nearly impossible to disrupt such a basic chemical reaction.”

Geordi stepped away from his console as he asked, “Why would you require engineers to make such an old gun? Your friend could simply have replicated one… given a properly modified replicator.”

“Oh, it’s merely modeled after an old gun… an old family heirloom, actually. No, this one has been redesigned. Increased bullet mass and velocity made possible with modern metallurgy and improved explosives, but still free of any sort of energy cell or circuitry. It got me out of quite a few jams during the Dominion War.” replied O’neill in a near boasting manner.

Captain Picard, having made his decision spoke, “Alright, we have about an hour’s hike to the site so we better get…”

Picard was interrupted by a chime from the communications console, indicating the Enterprise was hailing them. Picard walked over to the console to be greeted by a static infested communications channel with Commander Riker. Picard greeted his first officer, “What is it Number One?”

“Sir, Data has picked up a large storm front headed your way, ETA 12 hours. Above this storm is an even larger electrical storm which will disrupt communications in about 7 hours.”

“Understood Number One, we will do a preliminary investigation of the site and contact you before the electrical storm is overhead. We will then investigate as time allows and return here to the shuttle before the storm arrives. We will contact you again when the storm passes.”

“Sir, with all due respect, we don’t know enough about this planet’s climatology, this storm could grow in magnitude and last for days.”

“Alright, in that case we’ll return to the shuttle with enough time to fly out before the main body of the storm hits and return after the storm has dissipated.”

“Understood sir, good hunting.”

“Thank you Number One, Picard out.”

Picard cut the transmission and turned to the rest of the away team. “Well, it would seem we’re a bit pressed for time. O’neill, you have point, let’s move out!”

With that the away team opened the shuttle’s ramp and began their trek north to the ruins. The wind blew through the dimly lit tree tops, contrasted against the swift moving cloudy sky. The air was charged as though the entire forest was filled with anticipation of the coming storm.
Last edited by Jaepheth on 2006-10-15 02:22am, edited 2 times in total.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

what about the mark 9...the federation will get a serious shock if their past had a weapon so much more powerful any any of their present weapon...several teratons! Also, how would you explain the lack of naquada in star trek galaxy...love to see that...
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Neat. Way to short, but a nice addition.

Nice to see you are incorporating the latest info about the Ancients/Ori too.
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Hmmm could it be that they simply don`t know what to look for to find Naquidah? what if it just doesn`t register on their equipment? To their scanners and computers it is merely another low level radioactive rock that is unimportant?
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Typhonis 1 wrote:Hmmm could it be that they simply don`t know what to look for to find Naquidah? what if it just doesn`t register on their equipment? To their scanners and computers it is merely another low level radioactive rock that is unimportant?
Naquadah isnt radioactive. Unless you run a current through it or subject it to fast neutrons (aka explode a nuke next to it) you arent going to notice its rediciously power output either. Despite being a heavy metal, it is chemically inert in the human body too.

Also if all the Stargates in the galaxy exploded like firecrackers, it could probably ignite any naquadah on the planet, and that would cause the entire planet to go up.

The stargate network covers the entire galaxy, 400 lightyears is comparitively close and 400 lightyears is a non-trivial distance for the Federation to cross, representing 5-6 months travel time at warp 6. There might only be a handful of planets which had stargates on them in region of space controlled by the Federation.

Basicly, the Federation is too small and thier warp drives too slow to notice the ruins of a galaxy spanning civ around the place.
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

ggs wrote:
Typhonis 1 wrote:Hmmm could it be that they simply don`t know what to look for to find Naquidah? what if it just doesn`t register on their equipment? To their scanners and computers it is merely another low level radioactive rock that is unimportant?
Naquadah isnt radioactive. Unless you run a current through it or subject it to fast neutrons (aka explode a nuke next to it) you arent going to notice its rediciously power output either. Despite being a heavy metal, it is chemically inert in the human body too.

Also if all the Stargates in the galaxy exploded like firecrackers, it could probably ignite any naquadah on the planet, and that would cause the entire planet to go up.

The stargate network covers the entire galaxy, 400 lightyears is comparitively close and 400 lightyears is a non-trivial distance for the Federation to cross, representing 5-6 months travel time at warp 6. There might only be a handful of planets which had stargates on them in region of space controlled by the Federation.

Basicly, the Federation is too small and thier warp drives too slow to notice the ruins of a galaxy spanning civ around the place.
Or they did but chaulked it up to the Ikonians or other dead civs they've heard of but know little about.

My Snow's art portfolio.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

I just want to say thank you. This fic is what got me watching stargate, and even though SciFi airs the episodes horribly out of order I've still gotten alot of enjoyment from reading them. And from this fic too. So thanks.
holyknight
Youngling
Location: In a dark alley, slaying the Cultists of Wanknfiction

BUMP

Post by holyknight »

when someone is going to update this dammit!!!! :evil:

PD:BUMP!!!! :shock:

Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

A single post? You joined the forums just to bump my fanfic? I don't know what to say, I'm flattered.

Ask and you shall recieve.... you know, eventually.

Not a hundred percent happy with it, but hey, that's what editing's for.

Chapter 11

There was a low murmur in the room; old friends and colleagues catching up, new acquaintances getting to know each other, calm speculation of the upcoming campaign. After awhile, all the officers had gathered together, and a chime rang signaling the beginning of the briefing.

Col. Irenicus stood up from his chair at the end of the ancient wooden table. “Good evening, as you are all probably aware by now, we finished receiving equipment and supplies about a week ago and have since been devoting our time setting up and preparing that equipment, as well as attempting to establish a gate connection back to our home galaxy. This morning, and after 853 educated guesses, we succeeded in that endeavor. We can now return to Coruscant, but more importantly, we can easily bring more sentient beings here instead of droids. As such, the time to strike has come.

Irenicus reached down and pressed a button on a control pad that had been installed on the table causing the holo emitter resting on the table’s center to come to life. It displayed a diagram of the mountain they had all come to recently call home, and all the “extras” the excavation and construction droids had added in the past several weeks.

Irenicus continued, “I have already consulted most of you in your various areas of expertise on the details of the upcoming campaign which involve your commands. Zero hour is approaching, and it is time you all knew what the big picture will look like. The primary objective for this first operation is to establish an unassailable foothold in this galaxy.”

After pressing another button the holo image split into two, one side displaying the North American continent, with a red icon showing their position and blue icons indicating Federation cities. The second image showed an orbital view of Terra, Earth as the natives called it, with moving blue indicators showing the current positions of orbiting starships, and a large green indicator and curving line marking the position and orbit of Terra’s starbase, the Earth Spacedock.

Irenicus then continued the briefing, “Our opening move has been planned to maximize shock to the Federation…

Archeological Journal of Captain Jean Luc Picard

# After an uneventful trek through the forest, we have arrived at our destination. The ruins are magnificent; it's definitely a starship, and larger than it appeared from the air. Years, possibly centuries of growth have concealed much of the hull near the ground. The ship is nearly two hundred meters long, over sixty meters high, and around eighty meters wide. The hull is a tritanium alloy. Geordie speculates that late 20th/early 21st century Earth would likely have created such an alloy... if tritanium had been available to them. English writing appears all over the hull, but how could this ship be from Earth? I've never heard of anything like this even being planned for construction, and if it was built on Earth in the late 20th century, how did it get here? Even at warp 1 it should still only be just arriving to this region of space, but these ruins have been here for generations.

# There's quite a bit of carbon scoring on the outer hull, it seems the ship was in quite a firefight. We've been trying to find more concrete evidence of this ship's origins. Unfortunately, it would appear this ship has been through multiple salvage operations, I'm starting to seriously doubt that anything usable still remains. Analysis of some of the vegetation within the ship indicates that this hull has been derelict for two hundred years at the very least.

# Our preliminary time is up and the sheer amount of work to be done here makes it impractical for us to continue on alone, not to mention dangerous given the storm that is blowing in. I believe the most prudent course of action at this time is to leave this solar system so that we may notify Starfleet of our findings and return with better equipment and personnel for this endeavor.

“Picard to Enterprise.”

“Enterpri…. ere. Capta… storm approa… aking up transmission.”

“We’re on our way back to the shuttle now, prepare the Enterprise to leave orbit as soon as we dock.”

“…ay again.”

“We’re on our way back, prep the Enterprise to leave.”

“… nowleged Captain, hurry.”

“Picard out.”

Picard turned to his away team for a quick head count, “Alright, let’s head back. Lieutenant, you take the point.”

“Aye aye sir.” O’Neill slung her field pack over a shoulder and started back to the shuttle, Picard, Geordie, and Hansen followed.

On they marched through the forest, speculating about the discoveries that awaited them upon their return. They were passing a dense patch of foliage when a small spherical object fell in their path. O’Neill managed to get out “Oh shi…” before everything went white, and then dark.

“And be sure to get all the files in Archives.”

Picard sat up, he was sitting at an office desk. Around him people were hurrying about, carrying files, shredding files, and carrying shredded files to fire barrels. He continued to look around, confused and wondering where he was and how he got there. Finally he saw a familiar face ordering some other people around while shredding large stacks of documents.

“Q!”

Q looked up from what he was doing looking agitated, but then a look of shock registered on his face as he saw who was talking to him. “Picard!? What’re you doing here?”

“Naturally I assume you brought me here for another of your twisted games.”

“Humans…” Q returned to stuffing documents into a shredding machine, “capable of doing so much, and understanding so little. First they’re bending the laws of physics, next thing you know they’re popping into the continuum without an invitation. Some of your ancestors would be proud.”

“What’re you doing Q?”

Q looked back up, obviously annoyed. “I’m destroying evidence Picard, because the reopening of the gate may have attracted the attention of some of the others, and I would really rather not be here if they decide to show up.” Q emptied the basket of shredded paper into a nearby fire barrel, the flame turned bluish green for a second and then back to its natural color.

“Gate? Others? What are you talking about?”

“Shouldn’t you be busy saving your ship or your planet from your new friends? Oh… that hasn’t happened yet from your perspective has it?” Q picked up another stack of folders and began shredding them. “You should really head back to earth; they’re going to need all the help they can get pretty soon.”

“Why will earth need help?”

“Look! Picard.” Q was very agitated now, “I don’t have time to play twenty questions with you, so why don’t you take your consciousness back to your own body and have fun with your new playmates. Buh bye.” With that Q snapped his fingers, and Picard vanished leaving behind another stack of paperwork that would need to be destroyed.

At long last Samuel Carter’s eyes opened and the blurry image before him slowly came into focus. He was in a forest, within a grove of willow trees. In the center of the clearing stood an ancient oak, its timeless branches reaching to the clouded sky. A slight breeze swayed the branches and carried with it the sound of pipes whispering a long forgotten tune.

Carter remained lying down for a moment; savoring the sweet smell of the cool, smooth grass and the softness of the earth on which he lay. Was this heaven? Even as he asked the question he knew it could not be so. He felt hollow, incomplete… something wasn’t right.

Sam sat up and took in his surroundings, taking the time to savor the peace and tranquility about him.

Click
clack clack clack

It took a moment for the unnatural sounds to register; they came from behind him, from the oak tree. Sam turned to face the tree.

Clack click click clack

The sounds came from the other side of the tree…

Curious, Sam approached the tree and slowly peered around the great trunk, not knowing what he’d see on the other side.

Behind the great oak lay a large flat stone, gray with patches of a dark green moss along its edges. On top of this stone sat two young girls engaged in a game of marbles. Carter looked closer at the marbles and was amazed to see lights spinning within each giving them a perfect semblance of a galaxy.
The girl on Sam’s left had curly red hair that fell just past her shoulders. Her skin was pale enough that had she not been outside Sam could have believed she’d never seen the light of day. She wore a shimmering dress of scarlet that seemed to shine with a light of its own, and her eyes, her eyes were green and looked as though they could have been made of emeralds.
The girl on the right had straight, raven black hair that was cut at the neck. Her dark skin contrasted sharply against the white, flowing dress she wore. Her soft brown eyes were fixed in fierce concentration on the game before her. Carefully, she lined up a shot…

Click
clack clack click

One of the marble galaxies rolled out of the circle, the dark haired girl collected it and carefully placed it in a bag that was set beside her. The girl on the left was about to take her turn when she froze and looked up directly at Carter.

“Why hello, what have we here? Sister, it seems we have a visitor.” The redhead spoke in smooth, even tones that seemed out of place for a child her age.

The dark haired girl looked up at Sam and replied in the same tone as her ‘sister’, “Clever child, how ever did you find your way here? And why have you come?”

Carter didn’t know what to say, he opened his mouth to give some reply, but was interrupted, “Is it not obvious sister? His mind seeks healing, for it has been fractured.” The redhead continued, “Come then, manling, come and find yourself, and so become healed.” With that the girl raised her hand to the tree, whose acorns began to glow. In every color of the rainbow they shined in the failing light of dusk. Brighter and brighter they became until they burst into flames, and yet were not consumed by the fire. They broke from the tree and began drifting toward the ground in twisting, swirling paths. As they approached the ground they seemed to grow in size until each flame was as large as a man. Suddenly, many of the flames extinguished, leaving behind a person. Carter, stunned by the display, took awhile to notice that each person bore a passing resemblance to himself in some way. Odder still, was that once he began to look at each one individually, he found that he knew their names. Wisdom wore a robe of white; his passive expression stared back confidently to Carter. Innocence wore civilian clothes and looked back at Carter with wide eyes and smiled. Carter grimaced slightly as he noticed the many scars that Innocence bore.

And so Carter peered over the group, each one gathered personified some part of himself. He finally returned his attention to the two girls who stood behind him. “I don’t understand. How is this supposed to heal me?”

The redhead began, “You are fractured, manling.”

“Broken. You must be unified if you are to defeat your enemy.” continued the brunette.

“You know of whom we speak, the beast that appears as a man and stalks your soul.”

“He will devour you entirely, eventually.”

“So gather yourself now, and face your pain made flesh.”

Carter thought on the girls’ words for a few moments and continued, “But how am I to…”

“Reach out your mind.”

“Stretch out with your feelings.”

Sam could feel the presence of the others. But how was he supposed to… Sam turned as he felt a hand fall on his shoulder. Intuition, or Instinct as he was sometimes called, looked Sam square in the eye as he spoke. “You know me, I’ve been with you since the beginning. We are inseparable, till death do us part.” Instinct’s image faded away, but Sam felt more complete. He knew now what he had to be done; all he had to do was concentrate. Sam closed his eyes to start but was interrupted. Lightning split the sky and as Sam opened his eyes he saw another figure on the edge of the clearing. He wore a black uniform with colored squares on the left breast; he stood motionless, with his hands behind his back and his head downcast. He raised his head until his eyes met Sam’s. The brilliant blue eyes bore into him for a few seconds before the figure’s lips formed into a cruel grin that sent chills down Carter’s spine. He withdrew his hand from behind his back and Carter saw he was holding a scythe. There was hardly a moments pause before he struck. With a single swift movement the blade of the scythe was imbedded in Innocence’s chest. Innocent looked at the stranger as though betrayed by a best friend and muttered a weak “ow…” before fading away as Instinct had done moments before, but instead of feeling more whole, Carter felt a sharp stabbing pain in his heart, as though he had been the one that was struck.

“He’s found you” whispered the red headed girl. “You must deal with him now. There is part of you that can destroy this demon; if you have the courage to do so.”

“You cannot fight him, to fight is to lose” countered the dark haired girl. “Only you are giving this demon power. Deny him the power to harm you anymore; simply forgive!”

“Don’t be absurd,” the red head snapped “you can’t forgive what this beast has done. There, just beyond the trees, he can help you, he can grant you power enough to destroy this beast.”

Carter didn’t have to look, he felt what lay just beyond the tree line, just outside of the light of the fires in the grove. A part of him he had tried to forget existed. A creature crouched in the darkness, thick iron chains around his wrists and ankles. Long wild hair veiled its yellow eyes with vertical slits, like those of a vulture, hungry for its next meal. Its long finger nails were more like talons or claws, and when this thing snarled it revealed sharp pointed teeth. It had many names, Hate, Malice, Rage… He’d been suppressing this thing for so long, trying to starve it out of existence, denying it was a part of him. Was it now his hope of salvation as the girl suggested?

“You cannot destroy one evil by releasing another!” warned the dark haired girl with urgency.

The red haired girl whispered close into Carter’s ear, “It’s not evil, it’s a part of you, it’s natural, and right now you need him.”

“Don’t listen to her, that thing will consume you too in the end,” pleaded the dark haired girl “you will surely die!”

“You will not surely die,” cooed the red headed girl, “besides, you chained it up once before, you can always just do that again.”

Carter set his jaw, he knew what he wanted. Sam coldly stared at the figure holding the scythe; it stared back at him with bemusement. The chains binding hate burst into bright red flames and were quickly consumed. Hate dashed and pounced on the figure that smiled at Carter, even as it was taken down. Sam watched the carnage as Hate tore into the unwelcome stranger.

The dark haired girl covered her mouth in horror and looked like she was on the verge of tears while the girl with the red hair giggled and clapped her hands. “Goood, your hate has made you powerful. Why be a victim? When you can destroy all that stands in your way. I think I will give you a gift.” She leaned close to him and with an edge in her voice added “One that you had better appreciate.”

As Hate finished with its victim it turned toward Carter with a hungry look in its eyes. It licked its lips and began to approach, but Carter’s sight began to fade. Soon, everything went black.

Carter snapped awake with a sharp intake of breath. He was covered in a cold sweat. He heard something… it sounded far away. “Mr. Carter? Mr. Carter can you hear me? Your brain activity had us all worried. It’s going to be ok Mr. Carter, you’ve been transferred here to my care. Mr. Carter? Do you understand me?”

Carter heard, but he wasn’t listening. He was trying to remember the dream. But it couldn’t have been a dream, it was far too real. It was important… what was it? Carter could feel images and memories on the tip of his brain, but they were slipping away.

“Mr. Carter? You’re hyperventilating Mr. Carter. Mr. Carter! Nurse, hand me that hypospray. Mr. Carter, I’m going to give you something to help you sleep.”

Sleep? No! I can’t sleep, I have to remember. I have to… I have… I…

Once again the familiar black enveloped Sam. But for the first time in a long time his body enjoyed a relaxing, dreamless sleep.
Children of the Ancients
Tartarus
Redshirt

Post by Tartarus »

Excellent , excellent writing, can't wait for the update.
The vulcan was afraid :lol:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Yes! He finally updated!!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
marius
Redshirt

Post by marius »

Very nice i love how are you doing it
Take care,your worship,those things over there are not giants but windmills.

Miguel de Cervantes. Don Quijote de la Mancha