Test Pilot

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

*sniff* Aw. How sweet.

Two Force-users in the Empire? This is going to be VERY interesting.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

The Force works in mysterious ways....BTW, that was what I was alluding to when I said "now what's missing? Just wait, Kelly!"
JADAFETWA
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Ah, of course. This is turning into a very good fic. :)
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Short, but hopefully sweet!

TEST PILOT Ch. 10: Celebrate Good Times

Hiss and Req walked down the corridor. "Think she'll be up yet?" Req asked.

"She usually is by now." Hiss smiled and looked at the bottle of Whyren's Reserve he'd bought. They'd decided to try and bring their friends out of depression, since Haman hadn't been sleeping well and Rob now had a lot to face up to.

Req knocked on her door. "Yo, Haman!" No answer. He knocked again. "Hey, you awake?" Still no answer. On an impulse, he tried the door. It swung open, revealing an empty room. For a moment, both of them tried to process what it meant. Then they snapped around and stared at each other. "No way," they said together.

A pounding on the door woke Rob. For a moment, he couldn't remember where he was, or even who he was. Then, he felt Haman's warm body next to his, and he smiled. Her angelic face seemed like the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen in his life. Then the pounding resumed. "Hey, Rob! We know you're in there! Open up!" The pounding woke Haman this time. She looked insufferably cute as a confused expression crossed her face.

"We've got company." Morning, Haman.

She grinned. "You answer it." Good morning, Rob.

"You look better than I do." A very good morning.

"From a certain point of view." He laughed and sat up after giving her a final kiss. Throwing on some clothes, he made sure Haman was out of sight before opening the door.

"Morning, guys-"

"Took you long enough!" Req said.

"Uh, well, I was asleep-"

"All right, where is she?"

"Huh? Who?"

"Where's Haman?" asked Hiss.

"Well-"

"I'm right here, Cenrif," she said. She'd thrown on a mix of Rob's clothes and her own and now stood beside him. Rob couldn't help a chuckle as Req's jaw hit the deck and Hiss' eyeballs threatened to burst out of his skull.

"You? Her? Together? Now?" Req's brain seemed to be running on half power.

How shall we answer this?

I know. She pulled him against her for a long kiss.

"Uh, here." Hiss said, shoving the Reserve into Rob's hand. "For the celebration." Then he gabbed Req and the two took off.

"Well. Whyren's Reserve." They must've gotten it to help us get over Commander Delth.

That was sweet of them. They're both good friends. Rob couldn't stop the smile, nor did he want to. He and Haman had connected on more levels than most humans could deem possible. Grabbing a pair of glasses, he uncorked the bottle.

"Here you go," he said, filling her glass.

"What do you want to toast to?"

"Oh, I don't know." How about us?

I have a better idea. "To the legacy of Tatooine. May it never leave the galaxy, invisible though it is."

He nodded, his expression somber. "I like that." They touched their glasses, then each took a sip. Spicy.

Like good Reserve should be
. They each drank deeply, draining their glasses...only to spit it out as the alarms stated blaring their heads off! "All combat personnel, to Briefing Room Two. All combat personnel, to Briefing Room Two."

"This can't be good!" she cried out.

"Come on, let's go!" He grabbed her arm and pulled her down the corridor.

The pair of them drew more than a few eyes as they rushed into the briefing room and sat down next to Hiss and Req. Hiss glanced over at Haman, who smiled sweetly and blew him a kiss. He flushed a deep red and turned back to the projector. "Ladies and Gentlemen," Colonel Ipord suddenly started. Everyone shut up. "I'll put it bluntly. Hades Installation is now in its final hours."
JADAFETWA
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Awwwwwww. How sweet! :roll:

Short, yes. Sweet, yes. Cliffhanger???? YES!!!
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I know. I'm really starting to like cliffhangers. Speakin 'o which,

TEST PILOT CH. 11: The Battle of Hades

What could that mean? Rob wondered.

Nothing good, Haman replied.

"Ten minutes ago, we detected a Rebel battle group dropping out of hyperspace. It consists of several Blockade Runners, a pair of Nebulon-B Frigates, and a Mon Cal Cruiser." The silence was oppressive as everyone digested these words. "We have here, four squadrons of assorted fighters, a Carrack-class cruiser and the base's defenses themselves. We are outnumbered and outgunned, and because of the Rebels' positions in the system, we cannot make a run. We have roughly fifty minutes until they enter firing range. We have only two choices. First, surrender. Second, evacuate all nonessential personnel to planetary orbit and engage the Rebels here."

"I should put in," General Seth added, "that we really have no chance. We've sent for reinforcements, but we'll need to hold the Rebels off for nearly an hour before they arrive."

"We can't hand this station over!" Rob suddenly said. Ipord gestured for him to continue. "It would be spitting on the graves of the men who sacrificed themselves at Yavin." A lot of murmured agreements.

"Very well," Seth said. "A show of hands, all those who wish to fight." Every hand went up. Seth clapped his hands together. "Emperor bless you all! All right then. You have thirty minutes to prepare yourselves, grab a quick bite, or record a message for your loved ones. Good luck. Dismissed!"

Twenty-five minutes later, Skull Squadron was assembled in the hangar, preparing for what could well be their last mission. Rob had brought the Reserve, and everyone was taking a swig. "For our victory," Hiss intoned.

"For a last chance at glory, before we die," Req said.

"For the safety of those we protect," Haman whispered.

"Mind if I join you?" came a voice.

Rob turned to see Colonel Ipord, wearing a flight suit, the helmet under one arm. "Sir! I didn't know you were a pilot."

"Yes, I am. Skull Squadron is one short, so I thought maybe-"

"Absolutely, sir!" Rob grabbed the bottle and offered it to him. Ipord took it wordlessly and drained it, then chucked the empty bottle out into space.
"All right Skulls, hands in." Everyone in the squadron put their own hands atop Rob's. "What'll it be?"

"Glory," someone suggested.

"Victory."

"Victory or death." Everyone liked that one.

"OK. Victory or death, victory or death," within a moment, the entire squadron was shouting it at the top of their lungs, even Ipord. The whole hanger joined in, and Rob couldn't believe the noise. "All right, to your fighters, and good luck!" The whole squadron split up, but Rob held Haman for a moment. "Good luck, Haman," he said softly. "And may the Force be with you."

"May it be with all of us. We need it." She tilted her head up, inviting a kiss. He kissed her fiercely, then broke off and ran to his fighter.

"She prepped?"

"Topped off and ready for a fight, sir. Good luck!"

Rob dropped into the cockpit. "Skull lead here, everyone report status."

"Skull Two, a bit rusty, but ready for flight," Ipord's voice came.

"Skull Five, standing by," Hiss said.

"Skull six, ready to rock," Haman said.

"Skull nine, I'm ready," Req reported.

Once all of Skull squad was ready, Rob grinned. "Let's go!"

Aboard the Mon Calamari cruiser Stalker, Admiral Schonour rubbed his chin barbels. "So, they're willing to put up a fight after all."

"You didn't honestly expect them to surrender, did you?" asked his XO.

"No. Launch our fighters. Inform the Lightslash and Beacon to do the same." He steepled his fingers. "This is going to be interesting."

"How so sir? We've got enough firepower to blow them back to Coruscant."

"Don't forget, these are ace pilots. Furthermore, they're fighting for their very existence. It's the kind of motivation that's helped the Rebellion get along so far."

Skull squadron, along with their fellow pilots of Hades, screamed out to meet the Rebels. All up and down the attack line, green and red bolts of energy began to fly back and forth. Rob took a snap shot at an A-wing, destroying it. They might be fast, but they're fragile. A couple seconds later, he outguessed an X-wing by breaking right just as it did and destroying it. In his previous battles, he'd only touched the Force on occasion. Now he relaxed into it, feeling it calm him. Ipord fired, his shots ripping through a Y-wing. "This is Req, I got one on my tail! Can't shake it!"

"Hang on Req." As Rob brought his fighter around, Hades and the Redeemer suddenly started spouting sheets of green and blue fire at the oncoming fleet. Rob and Ipord flew through the melee, searching for their comrade. Rob spotted the X-wing tailing Req and launched a torp at it. Too late, as the X-wing's final laser bursts tore through Req's fighter. Req…I'm sorry. That was the third down for the Skulls. Fang had already lost four, but their crazy bombers, no two alike, had brought down one Corvette and were now pounding a second. As the battle continued, more fighters on both sides began to drop.

"Rob! Break left!" A split second before Ipord said the words, Rob realized his danger and broke. Ipord tore the X-wing apart.

"I'm glad you're flying with us, Colonel."

"Same here! Feels good to stretch the muscles!" Haman and Hiss formed up with them, making an impressive wall of firepower. Three X-wings and a Y-wing fell before them.

"This is the Redeemer! We need support now! The Nebulons and another corvette have us boxed in! Our shields won't last much longer!"

"Let's get 'em!" Haman said, and Rob heard the excitement in her tone.
Easy, Haman. The four hit their thrusters and went to save the Redeemer. The Carrack was indeed trapped and the three Rebels capships were nearly through the shields. The Fangs were attacking one of the Nebulons, but the other was still pounding away.

"Rob, do you see that Frigate?" Haman asked.

"Yeah."

"If we hit it hard enough just aft of the spar, it'll detonate."

Rob checked his torps. "Haman, we don't have the strength to cause an
explosion like that."

"Yes we do." Haman suddenly accelerated.

"Haman, you can't be serious-Haman!" Rob yelled as he realized her
plan. "Haman, stop!"

No, Rob. I can save the Redeemer. It's the only way.
Haman, he pleaded. Don't do this. Please.

Take care of yourself, Rob. Haman's fighter plowed into the Nebulon and triggered a massive detonation in the stern section. Flames ran up the spar, eagerly consuming air and crewmembers. Finally, explosions in the forward section signaled the death of the Nebulon-B.

Haman! "Haman! Haman! Haman, NOOOO!" The sudden emotion hit Rob like a tidal wave and erupted from him in a wordless howl of rage. The anger of Haman's sudden end built upon that from Req's death and that of Commander Delth. Rob had never been this enraged in his life. But at the same time, something felt wrong with the anger, just wrong. He knew what it was. It was the Dark Side.

He did not care.
JADAFETWA
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Ok, why do we always kill the love of our characters? (Ok, I haven't, but that's different.;)) I can't believe you did that! Now he's vulnerable. :( Poor Rob.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I'm sorry Kelly, but this story doesn't really have a happy ending...well, maybe it does. You decide.

TEST PILOT Finale: The Last Blitz of Hades

Rob was...angry. He'd just realized his love with Haman…and now she was gone! It wasn't fair! It's not fair! With a shuddering breath, he growled.

"Rob!" Hiss said. "Rob, there's nothing we can do. She's gone."

"They killed her," Rob said, the anger slowly filtering into his voice.

"I'm sorry, Cloudrunner, but we can't help-" Rob cut off the Colonel.

"They KILLED her. She's DEAD. I'll...I'll kill them."

"What?" Ipord seemed at a loss for words.

"I'll kill them. I'L KILL THEM! I'LL KILL THEM ALL! THEY'RE ALL WALKING DEAD MEN!" Suddenly, Rob lost it. With a berserker's scream, he hit his engines and tore into the battle. "DIE!" he yelled as his lasers blew an X-wing apart. "DIE! DIE! YOU DIE! YOU DIE!" His lasers found one opponent after another, murdering Rebels who had no chance against his dark power. They quickly realized the danger they were in, and torpedoes flew at him.

"Rob, watch out!" Ipord said. No less than three torpedoes slammed into Rob's fighter and exploded. Hiss and Ipord stared at the explosion, expecting the worst…and then Rob flew out! A frightening crimson shield surrounded his X1. "What in the Sith is that," Ipord said, utterly stunned.

"Lasers, torpedoes, Ion cannon, throw everything you want at me," Rob said over an open channel. "You will never penetrate my shield, because it is fueled by my ANGER!" Even as he spoke, his lasers destroyed another X-wing.

It was the start of a truly frightening battle. The Rebel pilots threw everything they had at Rob, who laughed and continued killing. They even tried ramping up and slamming themselves into his unbreakable shield. Suddenly, Rob noticed the Stalker. "Now I'll cut you off at the source," he said. With an insane laugh, he flew towards the Cruiser.

Rob, STOP! A voice screamed in his head.

Huh? What was that?

It's me, Haman!
The battle around Rob seemed to slow, then stop.

Haman? But you're-

Dead. That's not important. Rob, you have to stop this insanity
! In his mind's eye, he saw her worried face.

But they-

Rob, my death was MY choice. I HAD to do it.Tears ran down his face. Haman, I…I'm sorry.

Rob, it's not too late! Let go of your anger! If you don't we'll never see each other again!

Haman…I love you.

And I love you, Rob. I know you can do this. Good luck
! He felt her presence leave him.

He smiled, and it was the goofy Robert smile of old. "You're right Haman. I'll fight to defend. I'll fight for my friends. For the safety of those aboard Hades." The X-wings began to move again, slowly. "And for you. Haman." He looked out at the battle. "I'll fight for you. HAMAN!" The battle resumed, and once again, the Rebels were handed a shock. The bloody light from Rob's fighter was replaced by one of sky blue. The fighter also changed its tactics. Now, it only attacked the pilots who dropped in behind other TIEs.

Finally, Rob realized he had to end the battle, before more of his friends died. He changed course, and once again zipped in towards the Cruiser, which was now pounding Hades Installation. "Haman. This is for you. I'm not fighting for Hades. Not for Intelligence. Not even for the Empire. Haman, I'm striking the final blow in your name only.
YYYEEEAAAHHHHH!!!" The fighter accelerated at a rate no other could match. It hit the Stalker head-on, blowing through from stem to stern in less than a second.

Aboard the bridge, Admiral Schonour couldn't believe what had just happened.

"Our reactor's been compromised! We'll go critical in less than ten seconds," someone yelled.

Schonour didn't hear him. He could only stare out the front viewport as his ship began to rumble. "I don't..understand," he said softly. "How could a…single fighter do...this?" Those were his last words as the flames reached out to claim him.

The mighty Stalker blew apart in a brilliant explosion, and the remaining Imperials sent up a cheer, and attacked the remaining enemy forces. Without the Stalker, the Beacon, and two of their three Corvettes, the Rebels knew they had to run. Even as they formed up to do so, five massive Star Destroyers dropped out of hyperspace. The reinforcements had arrived!

"Rob! Rob! Can you hear me!" Hiss said, straining his vocal cords. After erupting out the stern of the cruiser, Rob's fighter had slowed and stopped. He hadn't responded to anyone since. "Rob!"

"Hey," came his friend's voice. It was weak.

"Rob, I'm bringing you in." Even as he spoke, Hiss' tractor latched onto Rob's fighter and began pulling him back home.

"Looks like the reinforcements saved the day...huh?"

"No Rob. If you hadn't done what you did, the Stalker would've finished Hades before they got here. It's all because of you!"

"Good to hear." He's dying, Hiss thought.

Hiss gently set Rob's fighter onto the deck, landed, tore off his helmet, jumped out, and dashed over to Rob. Throwing open the hatch, he pulled Rob out and onto the deck. "Hiss..."

"No, Rob, don't talk."

"Cenrif. Help me take this mask off." Mask? He really is dying. Hiss gently removed Rob's helmet revealing his friend's frighteningly pale complexion and wan smile. "Thanks, buddy. Hiss...I'm going to die here."

"No, Rob," he said, cradling his Commander's head in his palm. "No you're not."

"Quiet. Hiss, I used too much energy out there. My body..." he coughed thickly, "my body just couldn't take the strain I put it through. Hiss, make me a promise."

"Anything."

"Shoot straight. Fly true. And never, ever, doubt your conviction."

"I promise."

"Hiss..." Rob's voice was even softer now, fading. "Hiss, never forget us. Me, Haman, Req, Delth. Promise me you'll remember."

"Rob, I could never forget you. Even if I tried."

"Hi-Cenrif, there's one last thing." Rob raised his head, and Hiss put his ear to Rob's lips. "Cenrif...the Force will be with you. Always." Hiss' eyes widened in shock. Then, Rob breathed one last time, and died. Hiss closed his eyes as they began to fill with tears. Rob. I'm sorry we couldn't have worked together in better times. You were courageous, honest, and friendly. You had all the traits you saw in the Commander. I'm sorry to see you go.

Gradually, Hiss became aware of a lightening in his arms. Opening his eyes, he saw Rob's body fading. What the?! Rob's body was literally fading away to nothing, just like-Hiss' eyes opened as wide as they could. Now it all makes sense! His seven kills, the intuitive way he flew, and that shield! Was Rob some of Jedi? Hiss stood, holding Rob's flight suit in one hand. "Rob, I will remember you. And I will never give up. Not as long as I have strength in my body. I'll fight for you, for Haman, for Req, and for the Commander! Always!"

Many years later, Hiss prepared for launch. The fleet had moved to trap the Rebels between its own ships and the mighty Death Star-the Empire was building its own. Now, Hiss launched into the fray. I wish Ipord was here, he thought. His wingman had perished a month earlier in a skirmish. As the fighter fleet moved forward, comm. reports flooded the airwaves. One transport broke off from the Rebel fleet and headed towards the Star Destroyer Righteous. Hiss scanned it and realized that it was full of explosives. There's no way they can stop it in time. He smiled for the first time in years as he realized what he had to do. "Well, I hate to take after Haman's lead, but here I go!" He hit his thrusters, accelerating to slam into the transport's engines. "LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE!" His fighter set off the reactor and the entire transport went up. He'd saved the Righteous.

END
JADAFETWA
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

*sniff* Way cool.

So, what are you working on next?
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Well, I've been considering a Freespace/SW crossover, or a dark jedi story.

BTW, (oh god I hate admitting this) but I messed up the Adi Gallia quote.
It's supposed to read

"Don't worry, my friend, forthe Forceis my ally."
JADAFETWA
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Well, I know nothing about Freespace. What is it?

Dark Jedi sounds cool

and how could you!!! Screw up my sig. :P
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Freespace is this awesome simulater game with THE best fighters I've ever seen. I've been considering pitting them against Imperials.

If I do write the DJ story (and I think I'll start tonight) it'll take place many yeears in SW's future, nly in an alternate timeline where the YV didn't invade (god I hate the YV...and the whole NJO series :x )

I'm sorry! Really! It was an honest mistake!
JADAFETWA
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

I'm with you on the NJO. And, if you need any help, I'm always available. :)