The 13th Tribe Book II: A Symphony of War

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: The 13th Tribe Book II: A Symphony of War

Post by Eternal_Freedom » 2020-07-01 03:02pm

Canonically, if such a term can be applied given what happened in the recent Wolfenstein and Doom games, Billy Blaze aka Commander Keen was BJ's grandkid, but given the time jump between 1945 and a putative Mars mission in the 2040's (well, the true story was released "a hundred years later", I felt great-grandson fitted better. Plus, it's meant more as an excuse to get the references in and to have a Captain Blazkowicz driving the aptly-named Who Dares Wins. It's also a good way of showing that the Tau'ri and UNSC timelines are not just carbon copies, with one 550 years ahead, there are differences.

The Commander McCormack bit, is an amusing joke for the readers, and because the real-life version of Commander Davies likes South Park. He also likes Brooklyn Nine-Nine (as do I) so we may yet see a Captain Raymond Holt. And maybe a Sgt. Jeffords among the ODST's.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar » 2020-07-02 02:18pm

"... that scary-looking battleaxe Commodore MacLuing"

Hey, I'm not THAT scary looking! Have you seen me?!
Still... I will be 50 this year so maybe it's warranted?
Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom » 2020-07-02 03:57pm

Well this is a version of you that's been at war for twenty-seven years, seen through the eyes of another grizzled veteran (from Texas no less), so don't take it as the narrator's viewpoint :D

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar » 2020-07-03 05:07pm

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
2020-07-02 03:57pm
Well this is a version of you that's been at war for twenty-seven years, seen through the eyes of another grizzled veteran (from Texas no less), so don't take it as the narrator's viewpoint :D
Oh, I didn't say she wasn't a hard-ass :) But "BattleAx" has a negative connotation, usually meaning "ugly".
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom » 2020-07-03 05:26pm

Strange, in all the contexts I've heard it (in Britain, granted) used in it's not usually equated to "ugly" but "older, stern, formidable woman you don't cross." The "Professor McGonnagall" style of character, you might say. But if it bothers you I can change it for something that fits better.

EDIT: Plus I also reckon the Honourable Lady and Captain Blaskowicz have a history of barbed-yet-respectful banter - her referring to him as a lumbering brute, him referring to her with disdain as a titled aristocrat, that sort of thing.

fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord » 2020-07-04 05:46am

This looks to be a case of (at least) two populations divided by a common language.

IME, Australian usage of "battleaxe" in this context tracks closer to UK than US usage.

E_F, fair enough about the timelines not quite meshing up - a bit of uncanny valley there?
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar » 2020-07-06 09:41pm

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
2020-07-03 05:26pm
Strange, in all the contexts I've heard it (in Britain, granted) used in it's not usually equated to "ugly" but "older, stern, formidable woman you don't cross." The "Professor McGonnagall" style of character, you might say. But if it bothers you I can change it for something that fits better.

EDIT: Plus I also reckon the Honourable Lady and Captain Blaskowicz have a history of barbed-yet-respectful banter - her referring to him as a lumbering brute, him referring to her with disdain as a titled aristocrat, that sort of thing.
Ok, I can see that. I've got friends that if he didn't insult me, I'd think he was ill.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom » 2020-07-07 11:37am

Ok then :)