The 13th Tribe Book II: A Symphony of War

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Re: The 13th Tribe Book II: A Symphony of War

Post by InsaneTD »

I've got a second hand Logitech that's had several encounters with fluids. After the worst one it got put in a box with rice for a day but it still works perfectly. Logitech might not be the cheapest but it's worth the cost.

Loving the story and really looking forward to the next part of the battle. I hope we see some Spartan action soon. While not the most interesting character ever, John 117 is still one of my favourites, right behind Sergeant Johnson.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Eh, you may be waiting a while for the Spartans to show up. They're best suited to small-unit actions, special forces stuff. This is an epic space navy brawl, coupled with a full-scale ground invasion being held off by Corps-level Marine formations in defensive positions. Writing the Spartans means writing small-unit firefights, something I am nowhere near as good at as I am starship brawls.

Not a lot of room for John and his merry lunatics to do anything dramatic. Though I suppose I could work on a Spartan boarding mission for one of the in-atmosphere light carriers...
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2019-01-12 09:13pm Eh, you may be waiting a while for the Spartans to show up. They're best suited to small-unit actions, special forces stuff. This is an epic space navy brawl, coupled with a full-scale ground invasion being held off by Corps-level Marine formations in defensive positions. Writing the Spartans means writing small-unit firefights, something I am nowhere near as good at as I am starship brawls.

Not a lot of room for John and his merry lunatics to do anything dramatic. Though I suppose I could work on a Spartan boarding mission for one of the in-atmosphere light carriers...
Do you know someone that can do Spartan small-unit fights? Ask them to guest-write a chapter or two?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Sadly no names come immediately to mind. I know of a few fanfics writers who have done good ones that I liked but they aren't active anymore. I suppose I shall just have to do the best I can. And hell, I may surprise myself - it's not like I've tried writing Spartan-style fights in about ten years, so maybe I can do them reasonably well.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Don't force it. If you can't script the Spartans into this fight convincingly, then don't try. On, the other hand, you may just find the Master Chief and friends showing up, as you're writing the ground battles.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Go with your strengths and leave the Spartanic awesome off screen but let the story evolve under you, as Cinnabar has suggested. You've already had Jellicoe up and running with a life of his own, why not go with what you've shown to work?
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

If you feel like trying to write it to see how you do, awesome. Don't go writing it just for me though.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

We'll see how it goes. No promises in either direction. I had intended to write a section giving Colonel Ackerson something of a redemption (beyond his rescue efforts on New Odessa that is) and as he runs NavSpecWarfare he nominally commands the Spartans, so we shall see.

InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Ackerson had control of the Spartan-IIIs. He never commanded the -IIs.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Hmmm, well he's still got a hope for redemption after all (he managed it in canon anyways)

fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

On a world-building note, how widely deployed (and miniaturised) is artificial gravity (simulate a G field) and/or contragravity (nullify X amount of weight as long as the power's on) technology on Earth now? Could I lob at a skydiving place and buy a contragrav parachute?

I'm guessing they're damn near ubiquitous within cooee of Terra.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Probably not very commonplace on Earth at this point. They've had less than three years of public knowledge of the Stargate, Terra, the Colonies and the Asgard - and they had that Mid-East war and Chinese general going cuckoo to deal with. Most efforts are on providing naquada power plants, reclaiming landfill (to feed material into the plasma furnace/Asgard beaming system combo) to provide raw materials - which is where I imagine a lot of material needed for Elysium Base and other planetary defence systems came from - and building the six big warships and the various 304's/302's/308's/309's. That and building hospitals, pwoer grids, water treatment plants and so on across the third world.

"High tech" stuff won't really have disseminated very far and honestly most people won't care - they've seen energy costs slashed and the dependency on fossil fuels evaporate overnight, so a lot of people have more money available to a sizeable degree, which I figure (in a very loose sense, I am not an economist) helped avoid the 2008 financial crash. High tech stuff will be coming, just not for a good few more years.

DKeith2011
Padawan Learner

Post by DKeith2011 »

I have this mental image of Earth reaching the commonplace tech level seen in Independence Day 2 by the time the in universe calendar catches up to real-world today.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

That's more-or-less what I would expect, yes.

fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Ok. So not only dodging ass-up with care, but causing an economic boom due to drastically lower energy and transport costs, on top of the fleet expansion and mobilisation.

Wipeout landed on the PSX in 1995. 20 years later in this universe, it might well be real.
DKeith2011
Padawan Learner

Post by DKeith2011 »

Just a heads up, my artist connection came down with a work related injury and is on prescribed rest.

The proposed ship pics will be running a bit later then expected but are still on the calendar.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Thanks.

Also as an announcement, I know I haven't posted a new chapter in a bit but I've had a lot going on that eats into writing time. I have a few hours tomorrow after work and before a Society meeting and then again at the weekend, so I should have something up then. It'll probably be a chapter focusing on the Covenant ground assault as that's what I have in my head at the moment, but we shall see.

DKeith2011
Padawan Learner

Post by DKeith2011 »

Isn't it annoying when reality eats into your fun time?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Damn straight. I just want to write battles and glorious last stands and plot deeper intrigue and develop longer-term stuff for Book Three but noooo real life turns up being a needy little bitch.

fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Thanks for the heads up. These things take as long as they take.
DKeith2011
Padawan Learner

Post by DKeith2011 »

Good news everybody!!

The H.M.S Dreadnaught is now in production. And it will be available both as a 2d pic and a 3d printable model.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Wow, that's a lot more than I was expecting when you first suggested this, thanks!

Also as a general update, obviously there was no chapter last week, but I should have something up this weekend.

DKeith2011
Padawan Learner

Post by DKeith2011 »

It was a surprise to me to. He hasn't done a lot of 3d modeling lately and wanted to keep in practice and right now modeling is easier than drawing.

And you might want to formalize the designs for the American carriers and the Russian missile boat, he tends to move quickly on these things.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Yeah, that's on my to-do list tomorrow as well. May need to brush off my descriptions of Nemesis and Jupiter as well. We know what the two Warspites look like and the Lionhearts are the oBSG Battlestars, so they're the only new ships.

And Eridanus and Phoenix too I suppose.

Actually, I have found suitable online drawings for those last two. The Phoenix class is best represented by this ship only without the third flight pod and with a second upside-down landing deck on each pod like the Warspites.

The Eridanus looks like this. Readers of the original thread may recognise this as the Battlestar Hecate but it fits my concept of a "Heavy" Battlestar very nicely.

Oh, and for the curious, the Challenger class destroyers look like this, but having the pods be weapon mounts rather than flight bays.

So yeah, just need to finish up descriptions/mental models of the two Warstars plus the American and Russian heavies and I'll know what everything looks like. Sweet!

DKeith2011
Padawan Learner

Post by DKeith2011 »

Just got an update on the Dreadnought. He is starting with the general model of the Fifth Element ship and sculpting it out from there.

I'll post previews as they become available.