The Thirteenth Tribe (nBSG/SG Crossover)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

fnord
Jedi Knight

Re: The Thirteenth Tribe (nBSG/SG Crossover)

Post by fnord »

Crazedwraith, although not said explicitly in-story, it was implied that the Smug Git uploaded himself (or a dump thereof) shortly before the ha'tak-shattering kaboom.

This is backed up by Word of GodE_F out-of-story coming right out and saying it.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Crazedwraith: I figured that O'Neill may have only seen a couple of episodes but the ships were distinctive enough to stay stuck in his head, enough to recognise them at least. Or that he's one of those SF fans that simply doesn't care about Star Wars enough to watch it/them (they do exist, and he clearly seems to prefer ST).

As for who beamed their mind out, well, I included that so as to have a way to bring Ba'al back in at some point in the future if I want to.

And no, the partially-finished Warstar won't be the new Galactica, the next chapter will tell us her name, and it aint' the Grey Lady.

EDIT: And yeah, the mind-stone thing did give Glen Larson a very distorted view. Plus the signal went back in time a little, via solar-flare/jump-drive shenanigans, enough to give the general concept of "Last Battlestar leads refugees to Earth away from the Cylons" and a few names and general look of ships/vipers, but no real details - hence why oBSG and nBSG series plots are so different :D
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

In todays episode: even more words and sentences! Shock horror!

First Contact
Asgard Shuttle, heading for Olympus Base

The ride on the Asgard designed shuttle was a surreal experience for SG1. On the inside, it appeared to be a well-appointed corporate jet, with comfortable seats, bathroom facilities, a bar for refreshments and, of course, windows to enjoy the view.

From the outside, it looked exactly like one of the NASA Space Shuttles.

Jack was contemplating whether this showed a wicked and bizarre sense of humour on the part of the Asgard, or more specifically, Thor. But the part of him that was highly intelligent, the part he usually kept hidden because he knew he wasn’t as smart as Sam or Daniel and being smart was their thing, not his, pointed out to him a more likely answer: Thor had probably taken him literally when he had asked for a “Shuttle.” The more he thought about it the more this made sense; none of the various races they had encountered referred to small craft like this as shuttles (much to Jack’s disappointment as a Star Trek fan), so Thor had most likely produced a version of the Space Shuttle because that was the only craft Thor knew of with that name.

Teal’c was staring out the windows, taking in as much detail as possible of the ships and stations they passed. Off the shuttle’s port and starboard wings were a pair of sleek fighters, narrow arrow-like craft with three equally-spaced wings, three engines at the rear and weapon mounts by the cockpit. The Terrans had referred to these as Cobras, and Teal’c agreed that they looked suitably predatory and vicious.

Sam and Daniel were deep in conversation with Thor, discussing everything from technology (Sam was desperately curious as to how the Terrans had got such high efficiency rates on their reactors) to mythology (Daniel was curious as to how names like Pegasus, Prometheus and Zeus were present) to history (Thor was hopeful that maybe, just maybe, some of his old friends remained on this plane of existence).

As their shuttle came in for a landing, they got a good look at two of the huge Battlestars that were nearing completion; the names that were visible adding even more fuel to Daniel’s myth-related speculation: Victorious and Republic.

SG1 would have been surprised to know that a series of extremely heated meetings were taking place aboard Olympus Base prior to their arrival.

Ward 7-Alpha, Olympus Base Medical Facility

This was a private ward where the various senior officers had assembled. Since several of them were injured in some manner that required attention, it had been decided to just hold the required meeting here. Admiral Adama and Colonel Tigh were propped up on beds while Terran medics tended to their leg wounds, while Lethbridge-Stewart lay on another bed having his head wound checked out while talking quietly with his daughter Kate. Lee Adama had arrived only moments ago along with Captains Pendragon and Davies, he had taken a moment to nod respectfully at the Terran Admiral before going to his father’s side. Captain Mace, the Terran Chief of Staff, stood by the bulkhead quietly observing everything, making only an occasional terse comment to Captain Garrett of the Aurora, one of the few surviving destroyers.

The hatch opened and Jellicoe entered. All conversation ceased as the various commanders looked at him. He sighed and stepped further into the room before Lethbridge-Stewart dismissed the medics and had them seal the room.

The hatch clanged shut and locked. Jellicoe sighed again, then walked up to the Terran’s bedside, came to attention and saluted smartly.

“Commander Jellicoe reporting as ordered sir.”

Lethbridge-Stewart nodded at the salute and told him to stand at ease. He met the younger man’s eyes.

“Firstly Commander, congratulations on how you and Warspite acquitted yourself today, and on how you assumed command without hesitating when necessary.”

Jellicoe nodded. “Thank you sir, I’ll be sure to pass your words on to my crew.”

“That being said Commander…what the hell were you thinking, firing on an enemy that had surrendered?” The Admiral’s voice carried a number of emotions; anger at the unprofessional actions, curiosity as to why John had acted as he had…and a touch of regret at having to ask at all.

“Sir, I believed the enemy to still represent a dangerous threat. The Cylons, in their modern form, exist purely to carry out the annihilation of the human race. Thirty billion died during the Fall Admiral, another three and a half billion died in the first war. Even one Cylon ship remaining operational is a potential existential threat to humanity. You saw what they did here today; they sent ships to fire on the surface of Terra even while the battle still raged. They were so keen to slaughter civilians they couldn’t even wait until our fleet was gone!”

Jellicoe realised his voice had risen almost to the point of shouting. He took a breath and continued, this time in a calmer voice that nonetheless carried an undertone of cold rage.

“Before the Fall happened Sir, I had a large family. I had a wife, four children, five brothers and sisters, seventeen nieces or nephews…in a single day they were all taken from me. Admiral Adama is lucky Sir, his son survived, his would-be daughter survived, his best friend survived. I was left with no-one. And I had a chance to avenge them, to make sure that no one else had to suffer as I did, as my XO did, as my entire crew did.”

Lethbridge-Stewart winced at that. It was a known and tragic fact that out of the thousands-strong crew of the Warspite, not a single man or woman aboard her had any relatives or even friends among the other survivors of the holocaust.

“If you want to tell me it was unprofessional to blast that ship to atoms, go right ahead sir. You want to tell me it was illegal or a violation of the Articles of Colonisation or the Commonwealth Constitution, fine, I’ll submit to court-martial willingly. But if you dare tell me it was the wrong thing to do, you can have my Commander’s stars and my resignation right now.”

The room was silent. A minute passed. Then Bill Adama spoke up. “He’s right Alistair, and if you do say it was wrong, you’ll have my stars as well. I would have done the same.”

Lee nodded in agreement. “Mine as well. I did do the same, and I didn’t lose as much as John did.”

Captain Pendragon had observed all this, feeling a curious mix of emotions in his belly. He hadn’t fired on that Basestar, because he hadn’t been ordered to and because they had surrendered. But he couldn’t ignore the impassioned voice of the Colonial officer. He spoke up nonetheless:

“But they were the last of the Cylons, you wiped them out…” Jellicoe interrupted him bluntly.

“No Arthur, I wiped out the last of their fleet. The Cylons still exist out there…and that Basestar was the last ship that could have gone home and told the others were Terra is.”

That put a very different spin on things. Lethbridge-Stewart couldn’t really argue with his subordinate officer: from a military standpoint preventing the enemy learning of Terra and the weakened state of its defences was important. And the Admiral really didn’t have the heart to argue a moral point either.

He sighed and decided to move on.

“There will be no need to resign, any of you. What’s done is done and while I would not have done the same, I can understand why you did what you did. We need to move on. Bill, how’s your ship?”

Admiral Adama glowered at the thought. “She’s going to be a total loss. Her back’s broken, starboard pod gone, port pod wrecked, two engines destroyed, two more beyond repair, one FTL drive destroyed and a big chunk of the bow is missing. Not to mention nearly thirteen hundred dead.”

Everyone winced at the news. Galactica was a much-loved ship among the Colonials and the Terrans had appreciated the impressive achievements of the old warhorse.

Captain Davies finally broke the silence “That leaves us just three operational Battlestars; Lionheart is going to need a month in dock before she’s ready again.” And he looked extremely annoyed at the damage done to his ship.

Captain Mace consulted his notes before speaking. “With her in dock for a month, we’ll have to delay starting the next batch of ships Admiral. The Victorious and her sisters will be ready in six weeks, but we may want to delay their completion until we can incorporate lessons learned today.”

Alistair nodded, then, without thinking of who else was present asked: “What about Nemesis?”

“She’ll take another two and a half months at least Sir.”

That caused more than a few odd looks from the other officers present. Adama looked over at his Terran counterpart and asked, with a hint of humour, “You finally settled on a name for her then?”

Lee, Saul, Jellicoe and the Terran Captains all shared blank looks. Lee eventually spoke up: “What’s Nemesis?”

The Terran Admiral smiled briefly, deciding to reveal the ship’s existence: “Nemesis is another, secret vessel we’ve been building, out at a covert shipyard around Styx, the largest gas giant. She’s a one of a kind ship, a Warstar.”

The various Colonial officers, as well as the Terran Captains, thought that this ship must be powerful indeed to be called a Warstar; the Colonial Fleet had built two such vessels in the First War, Atlantia and Rycon to serve as flagships, but they had proven too expensive to maintain in a peacetime fleet.

Lethbridge-Stewart shook his head to clear it of idle thoughts. “Anyway, we need to get over to the landing bay and receive our guests; I understand Presidents Matthews and Roslin are already there.”

That led to a scramble as the various wounded officers were helped to their feet and out the door. As they passed briefly, Lethbridge-Stewart caught Jellicoe’s eyes and nodded once, enough to tell the Commander that what was said would remain between them.

Together, the battered senior command of the Combined Fleet marched to the landing bay and their meeting with the strangers from Earth.

Landing Bay Six, Olympus Base

The bay was large enough to house two dozen Terran shuttles and their support crews, but for this occasion those shuttles were absent; they were all out flying SAR missions to retrieve ejected pilots and ferry casualties over from the Galactica. The bay had been cleaned up as well as it could be and an Honour Guard had been assembled.

Waiting in the bay was Laura Roslin, President of the Colonies and the Terran leader, President Edward Matthews of the Terran Commonwealth. He was a tall, lean man, whose features could best be described as plain and unremarkable. His hair was a dull black that was going grey at (to him) an alarming rate. His suit was conventional in its cut, nondescript in its dark blue colouring and generally as plain as the rest of the man. One thing that did stand out were his piercing ice-blue eyes.

The shuttle from the Asgard ship came in to land. It was a bizarre sight for all involved; by all appearances it should have been coming in with its three huge engines straining to slow it down, but instead it glided into the hanger gracefully, stopped in mid-air ten feet above the deck and then gently settled to the ground on a decidedly anachronistic-looking set of undercarriage.

During the flight over, a brief exchange had taken place allowing the Terrans to greet their visitors with proper protocol and decorum. As a hatch in the side of the shuttle hissed open, the Honour Guard formed up and the two Presidents stepped forward to meet them.

Out from the shuttle came a tall man in a smart blue suit, it’s left breast carrying a collection of ribbons and a single silver star on each epaulette denoting his rank. Behind him was a blonde woman in a similar uniform, a man in a dark suit wearing glasses and a curious expression, and finally a tall, hugely-built dark-skinned man with a golden symbol on his forward and a stern look upon his face.

The quartet stopped just short of the end of the ramp. The man in the lead came to attention and asked, in a strong and clear voice: “Brigadier General Jack O’Neill, Stargate Command, United States Air Force, request permission to come aboard.”

The two Presidents exchanged a glance, surprised that this new military would be so similar to their own, before Matthews looked back at this General and said : “Permission granted General. Welcome to Olympus Base.”

Jack stepped down onto the deck, followed by his team. The Honour Guard, having heard the man’s rank and under strict orders to be as diplomatic as possible, snapped to attention and saluted the new arrival. Jack looked momentarily startled by this before returning the salute and marching up to the man and woman so clearly waiting for them.

As Teal’c stepped off the ramp, Thor emerged from the craft. He had decided to eschew his preferred method of simply beaming himself from place to place, and so his command chair was hovering a few inches above the deck as it moved forwards. The Terrans and Colonials who saw the little grey being drew in a surprised breath before schooling their faces into neutral expressions or diplomatic smiles.
Matthews, waited until the delegation reached him before extending an official welcome:

“On behalf of the Terran Commonwealth, welcome to our world, people of Earth. Welcome to you as well Thor of the Asgard, the Lords of Kobol spoke highly of you, both personally and as a race. I would introduce you to my senior commanders, but they appear to be running late…”

He trailed off as a bulkhead opened and the senior command of the Combined Fleet entered. Admirals Lethbridge-Stewart and Adama led the group, followed closely by Captains Davies, Mace, Pendragon, Stewart and Garrett. Bringing up the rear were Commanders Adama and Jellicoe along with Colonel Tigh. The assembled group came to a halt and saluted their respective Presidents before turning to greet SG-1.

Jack quickly introduced Sam, Daniel, Teal’c and Thor. There were a few inane diplomatic exchanges before he asked a question that had been building up for a while now.

“Ok, forgive my bluntness, but how did you guys get to be out here, and how come you’re flying around in Battlestars from an old science-fiction series?”

That got him more than a few odd looks, and not just from the Terrans and Colonials. Daniel muttered under his breath: “…of all the questions you could have asked Jack.”

Matthews exchanged a look with Roslin and the Admirals. “Perhaps we should go somewhere more private to discuss this.”

Jack nodded and the group moved off to the bay’s bulkhead. Representatives of four different races went to a meeting that would, in one way or another, decide all their fates.

===========

And now we settle into that most tedious of chapters both to write and to read: diplomacy. Urgh. But it's necessary I suppose.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Thor has a twisted sense of humor :twisted:
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

How long until O'Neill's next explosion of "Fer cryin' out loud!" ?
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

When he hears about "God" being also referred to as "Ba'al''....
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Yeah, that'll do it. Unless Thor beats him to the punch, both to blow off steam and to see the look on his face.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Well, Jack's in his Class A's so he's less likely to shoot something out of hand :D
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

I wonder what Thor's (and/or SG-1's) reaction will be to Frankie's Wild Ride (since, iirc, Barham wasn't vapourised by her reactors overloading, just blown into itty bitty bits) and the pounding two of the Flight I Lionhearts (Barham and Lionheart herself) managed to survive.

It looks like Lionheart will be modified to Flight II standard (incorporating some of the lessons learned from the BoT - not all of them, as those who learned the really good ones died with Barham) as part of her time in dock. Will that put the Excalibat at the back of the line, behind the new-build Flight II hulls?

Do the Warspites (class prototype, and Pegasus - the lost Mercury-class battlestars would now be their half-sisters at best) need a similar upgrade in light of lessons learned?
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Don't forget to have Thor emphasis "Supreme Commander" ;)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Yeah, but Thor only did that for scumbags like Kinsey... :mrgreen:
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

There's certainly enough fodder for the paranoids in the Terran Commonwealth government to go nuts over.

This should be a lot more.. friction-filled ... than the Terran/Colonial union. Neither the little grey guys nor the Tau'ri are genocide survivors.

What sort of sparks will fly when the Terrans meet a Tok'ra or two?

I wonder if The Moustache will (at least once, inadvertently) refer to Thor as an admiral - Thor is exercising flag command over a navy (a dry navy still counts!), and this Lethbridge-Stewart is a starman, not a soldier.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Very cool, I didn't think I would see another part so soon! Love the tension filled moment between Lethbridge-Stewart and the men.

I wonder which shuttle Thor made a replica of...Enterprise, perhaps? LOL :P
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Haha the "Supreme Commander" bit hadn't occurred to me but it may make an appearance.

Also, it occurred to me today that instead of "I Will Not Be Moved" for the Grey Lady's motto I could just have easily used "Do Not Go Quietly Into The Night" to add the SF works I'm referencing :D

fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Maybe so, but "I Will Not Be Moved" seems to me to be a better fit to the old battlewagon.

The battleship HMS Warspite's motto was "Belli dura despicio" (I Despise The Hard Knocks of War) - worth ripping off holus-bolus? Haven't been able to find one for her sister. HMS Barham.

More suggestions:

Pegasus (lifted from SSN-700 USS Dallas) : "First In Harm's Way"
Lionheart (lifted from SSG-76 HMAS Dechaineux: "Ferocious And Fearless"
Barham (lifted from S123 HMS Anson): "Never Give Up Hope" (or maybe, with a touch of irony, "To The Bitter End")
Excalibur (lifted from SSG-74 HMAS Farnscomb): "With Skill And Resolve"

How you going on writing the next bit?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

It's back!

Meeting of the Minds
Olympus Base Conference Room

The assorted delegations had taken their seats around the large table, Thor and SG1 on one side and the combined Terran and Colonial delegations on the other, with the two Presidents in the centre, flanked by their respective Admirals while the Captains and Commanders filled out the rest of the seats. Stewards had provided refreshments – Thor had politely declined, and SG1 had been collectively baffled that tea and coffee existed on Terra.

The Terrans and Colonials were naturally curious about how Jack knew about Battlestars, and what he meant by his “science fiction series” remark, but they decided that other matters were somewhat more urgent. The two sides exchanged abridged histories of their races, the two Presidents presenting Kobolian history as told by the Lords and then by the Sacred Scrolls, and Daniel and Thor providing Tau’ri and Asgard information.

After a brief discussion of the respective histories President Matthews took a sip of his tea and then looked at O’Neill.

“General, now that we’ve covered some of the historical facts, albeit briefly, can you please explain your comments in the landing bay? How do you know about Battlestars if you have never been to Terra before?”

Jack winced and looked beseechingly at Sam and Daniel, but found no help there. He sighed and began his answer.

“About forty years ago there was a science fiction program produced for a television network in my country called Battlestar Galactica.” He noticed more than a few surprised looks from some of the Colonial officers, but their Admiral, Adama, remained as stoic and unreadable as ever. “It told the story of the Twelve Colonies of Man, that waged a thousand-year war against a machine race called the Cylons. The Colonies fought with capital ships called Battlestars that bear a striking resemblance to the Excalibur that we passed on the way in. The Cylons ended the war by using a fake peace conference to draw out the remaining Battlestars.”

He took a sip of his coffee. “The Cylons annihilated the Battlestar Fleet while simultaneously launching saturation-bombing raids against the Twelve Colonies. Almost everyone was killed apart from a few hundred civilian ships that fled, led by the Galactica. That ship, led by Commander Adama, one of the Council of Twelve, escorted them away from the Colonies to find a new home, the lost 13th Colony of Earth. They found Kobol and some clues and proceeded onwards, hounded by the Cylons at every opportunity.”

Some muttering broke out among the Kobolian group. Admiral Adama finally spoke up. “That is a rather close approximation of our own recent history. I take it from your recollection that you were a fan of this series?”

Jack smiled. “Yeah. Not as good as Star Trek but it was pretty fun. Plus the guy playing Adama was a very good actor.”

The real-life Adama smiled slightly at that. “I should hope so General. Do you have any idea how this program managed to get so much right about us? The stories are far too similar to be coincidence.”

At this, Sam leaned forwards. “Actually, I do have a theory. We’ve previously encountered a piece of technology created by the Ancients that we call a Communications Stone.” She winced at the self-explanatory name. “I know, we’re working on names for things. But these stones, acting as pairs, allow thoughts and memories to be passed from one person to another subconsciously over considerable distances. General O’Neill accidentally exchanged memories with some poor barber named Joe for the last eight years or so. Caused a few problems when the guy tried publishing stories based on the General’s mission reports. It is possible that someone in your fleet possessed such a stone, paired with one on Earth, that transmitted a somewhat garbled version of events that the man on Earth used as the basis for the series.”

Lee Adama spoke up next. “But you said this series was made forty years ago. These events happened less than a year ago for us.”

Sam nodded at that. “It is possible the signal was sent back in time somehow, possibly due to a solar flare interacting with the subspace signal. We’ve encountered the phenomenon before.”

President Matthews re-entered the conversation at this point. “Well, I suppose that explains your apparent foreknowledge of our ships. But on to more pressing matters. We have explained our histories, now we must decide what to do next. We have only just started expanding into the galaxy, and our fleet even now recovers from the Cylon onslaught. We are happy to meet people in peace and trade with them, but please do not think we are willing to roll over and submit to a superior species. The shattered debris outside is testament to that.”

Jack smiled. “I like you guys.”

Teal’c nodded, speaking for the first time. “Indeed. To stand against such an overwhelming opponent shows great courage. It is an experience the Tau’ri and the Asgard know all too well.”

There was a general nodding of heads at that sentiment. Thor raised a hand to gain everyone’s attention.

“As I mentioned in our history, the Asgard were once allies of your Lords of Kobol. We, and two other races known as the Furlings and the Nox, formed the Alliance of the Four Races for millennia, until various threats drove us apart. The ancestors of your Lords left this galaxy as a virulent plague spread, the Nox remain on their garden world, content to be part of nature. The Furlings have vanished, none of us know where they have gone.”

“Because of their recent efforts in freeing this galaxy from the tyranny of the Goa’uld, their aid in saving our race from the Replicators, and the progress they have made, the Asgard have declared them to be the Fifth Race in a new, reformed Alliance. You, the children of Kobol, have a claim to be the Heirs of the Ancients, and I will recommend to the Asgard High Council that you be allowed to take their place among the Alliance.”

Everyone was surprised at that. Thor continued onwards. “This will allow us to trade knowledge and technology with yourselves, and you likewise can trade what you know with the Tau’ri or the Nox. It would also garuntee your security should new threats emerge.”

Lethbridge-Stewart, still weary from the battle only recently ended spoke. “But it would compel us to aid yourselves, the Tau’ri or the Nox if they ask, yes?”

Thor inclined his head. “That is true, as long as you are able to assist of course. But at present there are no such threats. We can help you rebuild your Fleet and take your next steps into the universe.”

The two Presidents, exchanged a brief whispered conversation before Matthews spoke again. “I will need to consult with my cabinet, and Laura with the Quorum, and we will need to go over the details with a fine comb, but I see no reason not to at least explore the possibility further.”

Thor nodded. The meeting effectively ended there as Thor and the Presidents left to speak with their respective governments. This left the assorted military officers behind to talk in a less formal setting. Admiral Adama left to check on the wounded that had been rescued from the Galactica, while Lethbridge-Stewart stayed and began a long and spirited talk with O’Neill and Teal’c about this old science-fiction series. Sam and Daniel rolled their eyes before they were engaged in conversation by Lee Adama and Captain Davies, who were both historians at heart.

Thus, over tea, coffee and snacks, two civilisations began to build the bonds that would give them strength in the times to come.

=============

Yeah I know this chapter is a bit weak, but I needed to get the exposition out of the way and address the O'Neill-shaped elephant in the room. Should have another short interlude up soonish.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

As promised:

Interlude: Rebirth

There was nothingness surrounding him. Inky blackness as far as he could see. And yet he could see, which surprised him. The fact that he could think was also quite a shock. He was supposed to be dead after all. There was no way he could have survived that injury.

Was this the hell that She spoke of? Is this God’s punishment after all? He wondered. His mind rebelled at the idea, there was no life after death, no God or Devil or Hell or Lords. Just oblivion.

A small voice in the back of his mind pierced the fog of his thoughts with a simple question: Explain this then. And he couldn’t. If there really was no life beyond death then he shouldn’t even be having this argument with himself.

The part of his mind that wanted to believe told him that She had been right; his soul was immortal, or at least made of sterner stuff than his body, and this…place was where he had been sent. God’s retribution was at hand it seemed.

The rational part of his mind rejected such an idea. Logically, if there was indeed no life after death then he wasn’t dead. But that thought stumbled when he remembered the obviously mortal wound he had suffered. No, he was definitely dead.

As his mind became sharper, he became aware that the inky blackness was becoming lighter. It was still impossible to perceive anything, but he had a definite sense that the blackness was not infinite. And, more ominously for the part of him that believed, there was something else here.

Then, a noise. Faint, indistinct. Another noise, coming from behind him. And that was another new concept, ahead and behind and side to side, something he hadn’t been aware of previously. The noises came again, this time a little louder, a little clearer, but not enough.

The blackness was almost grey now. Fuzzy, indistinct shapes began to resolve themselves as the noises became louder and clearer. Finally, something clicked in his mind. It was speech. He still couldn’t tell what was being said, but the fact that his environment was becoming increasingly clear was immensely reassuring to him.

Then, ahead of him, was a light that began getting brighter and brighter. Too bright, almost intolerable, almost painful. He flinched away from it, trying to shield his vision. Then a voice, at last intelligible:

”Doctor, he’s awake.”

Doctor? he wondered I must be in a hospital. Maybe I’m not dead after all.. The cynical part of him suggested that this was simply a cruel trick of whatever power ruled in Hell to punish him further.

”Doctor Baltar, can you hear me?” a second voice, deeper than the first.

The fog finally lifted from his mind and he looked around. The inky black and grey was gone, replaced by a hospital room and two men leaning over him, one of whom held the bright light that he had seen. He strained his muscles and nodded his head, just a fraction.

The older of the two men spoke: “Good, I was wondering how much longer you would be asleep. You’ve been unconscious for nearly a week now. There is someone waiting outside to see you, he’s been quite persistent in waiting until you woke.” The man moved back and opened the door, addressing someone outside.

“He’s awake Captain.”

Captain? Felix perhaps? Baltar thought. He was possibly the only one who would care enough to come and see him. His hops were dashed when someone who was most definitely not Felix Gaeta entered the room.

The new arrival, clad in a Colonial Fleet uniform and carrying a sheef of papers, had a cold expression on his face. He quietly asked the Doctor and the medic to leave and then took a seat next to Baltar’s bed. Once the door closed he turned his full attention to Baltar.

“Doctor Baltar, I’m Captain Nelson Raines, Network Officer on the Battlestar Warspite. I’d like to ask you some questions about your Command Navigation Program and the backdoors used by the Cylons.”

His tone was like a death sentence. Baltar knew the game was up. He had been brought back from death just to face retribution. And there, in the corner of his eye, was her. She had a vindictive smirk on her face.

It seemed God was punishing him after all.

======================================

He awoke.

He saw many things flash before his eyes in the span of a second, impossible shapes, indescribable colours, unreal ideas.

He saw the last moments of his previous life, screaming in rage and fear as his ship was blasted apart around him. He felt the fear, the anger, the betrayal, and a brief feeling of heat as the plasma bolt tore through his compartment.

He opened his eyes. He looked around. The room was exactly as it was the last time he had seen it. Tanks lined the walls, holding body after body, all identical. A second set of smaller tanks occupied a table in the centre of the room. These also held bodies, but a very different kind to the others.

His mind came to full awareness. He knew what had happened to kill him. He knew it had to be avenged, but that could wait. He also knew he had much larger problems. That this chamber survived, that this process worked, told him at least one of his ships had escaped the enemy assault. This was good news, but if only one ship survived things would be difficult indeed.

As much as he wanted to, he knew he could not take his vengeance any time soon. He would need to rebuild somewhere distant, somewhere no one would find him. His original plan would not take him far enough. But there was a possibility.

He stood from the tank that had held him while he revived. He grabbed a towel and wiped away the gelatinous liquid that covered him, before clothing himself as befit a being of his status. Ba’al, Last of the System Lords, left the Resurrection Chamber for the command deck.

What he found was promising. Six of his Ha’taks had survived, hiding here in deep space. All of them had been fitted with the jump drives from his Cylon slaves and had evaded the enemy for the moment. He knew the drives had a long range, tens of thousands of light years. Perhaps the satellite galaxies were too close to the Asgard and the Tau’ri for his purposes.

But why not another galaxy entirely? Separated from his foes by millions of light years of intergalactic nothingness, he could take the necessary years to rebuild and return when the humans did not expect it. And when he did, he would annihilate them. He would show them no mercy.

He smirked, and his eyes flashed yellow as he decided on a destination. He called out orders and his small fleet began the long series of jumps to another galaxy. It would take them weeks to arrive, and it would strain the jump drives to the limit, but he would gain his needed time.

The galaxy he had chosen, more or less at random, had no name on Goa’uld charts. It didn’t need one, they had little interest in distant domains they couldn’t reach.

The Tau’ri called it Pegasus.

=========

Yup, Baltar and Ba'al are back!

That being said, don't expect Baltar to appear very much after this. He'll be off to a nice unpleasent cell. And, as per rules of Terran prisons, any suicide attempts and he'll get revived and put back in his cell. Same with dying of old age. When the Terrans tell you "parole in 75 years" that is how long you stay locked up, no matter what you try.

AS for Ba'al, he's off to rebuild. I had planned to not have him return since I couldn't see a way for him to be useful for relevant hanging around the Magellanic Clouds. But if I'm sending him to another galaxy, why not Pegasus? I'm taking the story there anyways. Goa'uld vs Wraith, anyone?

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

“Because of their recent efforts in freeing this galaxy from the tyranny of the Goa’uld, their aid in saving our race from the Replicators, and the progress they have made, the Asgard have declared them to be the Fifth Race in a new, reformed Alliance. You, the children of Kobol, have a claim to be the Heirs of the Ancients, and I will recommend to the Asgard High Council that you be allowed to take their place among the Alliance.”
All that.. and you left out WHO he was talking about. Who is "them"?

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

The now-named Fifth Race is the Tau'ri, I thought that was clear from context, and I had said as much in the section set in the SGC a few pages back.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2017-07-29 05:32pm The now-named Fifth Race is the Tau'ri, I thought that was clear from context, and I had said as much in the section set in the SGC a few pages back.
Yes, WE READERS got the context. Those hearing him speak (the Colonists) wouldn't have.

fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

As usual, worth the wait.

Not quite no more Mr Nice Gaius.

To take a trip down Resurrection Boulevard, I'm guessing the corpse has to be reasonably intact? Can't restore from a backup a la Smug Git?

Along that line, I'm guessing those who died during the BoT and their bodies weren't recovered for whatever reason (blown up good in Barham's case, mashed on impact/burned up for quite a few from Galactica) are buggered, not just resting?

Given that Terran medicine is that advanced (reanimating recently(?) dead, wtfpwning cancer, etc) compared to the Tau'ri, let alone us mob, I wonder what their life expectancy is like?
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

So if Glen Larson had a Comm Stone and it inspired his works... when do we meet Captain William "Buck" Rogers and Colonel Wilma Deering? :mrgreen:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

LadyTevar: Ah, I see what you meant, unfortunately I can't edit it now. I've altered it slightly in my master MS Word document, and when I finish the story and post it in completed/cleaned up fanfics I'll include the tweaked version.

Fnord: Yeah, many of the casualties from the battle will be able to be revived. The Terrans medical tech basically means they use information-theoretical death as their threshold. Lifespan wise they are longer-lived than the Tau'ri, by quite a margin, but you won't see them living past 120 or so as treatments/transplants etc can only do so much to slow aging.

Steve: Glen Larson had the stone but it only gave him a basic outline of events...I'm thinking the person with the stone on the Colonial end was aboard the Olympic Carrier. Which would explain why oBSG quickly devolved into planet-of-the-week stories and ripping off older films :D

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2017-07-31 09:20am LadyTevar: Ah, I see what you meant, unfortunately I can't edit it now. I've altered it slightly in my master MS Word document, and when I finish the story and post it in completed/cleaned up fanfics I'll include the tweaked version.
PM me the changes, I'll do it.
Steve: Glen Larson had the stone but it only gave him a basic outline of events...I'm thinking the person with the stone on the Colonial end was aboard the Olympic Carrier. Which would explain why oBSG quickly devolved into planet-of-the-week stories and ripping off older films :D
Nope, that's just Network Interference, like how they forced the "Fire in Space" ep after "Towering Inferno" became a box-office hit. :wanker:

fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Sorry for the bump (been a bit busy myself - guess RL has struck back again), but you seemed to have missed another shout-out opportunity : "No, Gaius, you're not a messiah, just a very naughty boy".