A question about langauge in stories

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

A question about langauge in stories

Post by Lord Revan »

Is it possible to use certain types insults or terms not allowed in discussions in stories if they're "in character" meaning they're the opinions of the character and not the author and if so do they need to be emphasized to be "bad" in story?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: A question about langauge in stories

Post by Broomstick »

You mean, how the "n-word" is not allowed in discussion on line but it appears rather frequently in the American novel Huckelberry Finn? In which case a discussion of the book might indeed result in said word appearing a thread about that novel.

I think we need the big mods to weigh in on that.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Korto
Jedi Master

Re: A question about langauge in stories

Post by Korto »

Well, before the mods do weigh in with the final word, I would think that if the language used is:
1) In context
2) In moderation
and 3) Doesn't glorify the behavior
it would probably be OK.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor