A Different Directive (Star Trek)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: A Different Directive (Star Trek)

Post by Crazedwraith »

Good stuff. The government of this planet actually seems quite sensible. The reference to squid people made me smile. The reference to the 'Tressel Run' was a little cute for my tastes.

Continues to be interesting though. And I didn't mention it before so I will now double points of the female Klingon Captain.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Executor Kewel Naden looked down over the sandy beach and the dark waves slowly crashing onto the shore. The old dynasts had built several terraces of balconies connecting to the beach for their enjoyment and that of their favorites. Now they mostly got used to host diplomatic parties when the weather was favorable.

The day was hot, moderated by a cool breeze coming off the ocean. A perfect day for the beach. Naden wished he had time to enjoy a little sunbathing, but that meant having a job other than leader of the most powerful nation on the planet.

He looked into the sky. Nothing. "They did say this time, right?"

"They did," said Counsel Gresstise. "I assume they intend to land an amphibious shuttle of some kind."

"As did I," said Kewel. "Any chance of misunderstanding with regard to the landing site?"

"You were there for that conversation," said Nels Gresstise. "What do you think?"

"No, it was clear. Understandable too. Meeting us privately at first, before going under the public eye. If they're monitoring our public transmissions then they know how crazed our media can get."

"And our people," said Gresstise. "Although with the doom from the sky gone, it will hopefully get better."

"Is it gone, or have we traded one for another?" asked Kewel. "Don't answer. I haven't gotten paranoid, but it's a question that must be answered."

"Technical problems perhaps," said Gresstise.

"Would they have told us?"

"Possibly not, for a short delay," said Nels.

"It's reassuring in a way," said Kewel. "If they're fallible then they're mortal like us, not god-like entities descending from on high."

"We have had perhaps too many divine portents from the sky," agreed Gresstise. A soft hum caused him and the other Ubarians to turn their heads toward the far side of the balcony. Three figures were materializing out of columns of red lights.

The first was Captain Keelan, now wearing a sleeved tunic. She was a head taller than the tallest Sellonese man. The second was a male of her race who was about her size. His hair was white and he had long, extravagant mustaches bound with silver rings etched with tiny designs. The last was a female of another humanoid race. She was shorter and slighter than the Klingons, with lustrous green skin, no head ridges, and shoulder length dark hair tied up in a braid. All wore armour vests and belts with pistols and elaborate knives.

Keelan extended her hand. "I believe this is the traditional greeting of your people?" she said.

There was a moment of shocked silence. The executor recovered quickly. "It is," Kewel replied and extended his own hand, touching her fingertips with his own. "Welcome Ubarian Federation and the planet Sellon."

"Thank you Executor," she replied. "These are two of my officers. Arzen is my ship's surgeon and Chief Medical Officer. Allergies, diseases, and accidental poisonings are one of the hazards of first contact missions and he's here to keep them survivable. Lieutenant Yershaan fired the shots the destroyed the asteroid. I thought you might like to meet her."

"Indeed," replied Kewel. "We are grateful for your aim Officer Yershaan," he said, extending his hand. The Orion woman touched his finger tips. "These are some of my advisers. Science Counsel Gresstise, Sky Marshal Valeniz, Marshal Kaarns, and Diplomatic Counsel Izaks." They exchanged greetings.

"I am sure you have many questions," said Keelan. "I will endeavor to answer most of them to your satisfaction. You should see to your comfort. This might take a while."

"There's a table and chairs right over there," said Kewel, pointing at a connecting balcony. "Would that be acceptable."

"Yes," said Keelan indifferently. The party adjourned to the large round table and sat down. "There are some questions that are always asked," said Keelan, "so let me get them out of the way. We are explorers, looking for new worlds and resources for our Empire. Our empire contains many species and you may petition to join it, but we have not come with the intent of conquering your world. We are warriors, first and foremost, but we are bound by honour and there is no honour in killing and oppressing your people for greed."

"Then what are you here for?" asked a short, middle aged woman. Izaks was a veteran of dozens of negotiations. "Information exchange? Basing rights? Trade?"

"Trade would destroy your economy," said Keelan. "Your nations are so poor you still have poverty. The Empire has much to offer you, but social and economic reorganization must happen before that can be applied. We would guide you through it if and when you decide to join, but for now beware any space travelers who wish to sell you something. The price is likely to be higher than you understand.

"As for information exchange, yes. On a limited basis. Basing rights aren't under consideration, you're simply to primitive to construct the facilities our military would need and their will be Klingon colonies in this sector soon enough. Shore leave rights and limited tourism and scientific exchange are possible."

A servant came by with a pitcher of water and glasses. "So you intend to just visit?" Kewel asked.

"Your society is primitive," said Keelan. "It cannot participate in interstellar relations without risk of suffering severe damage. All the great nations have rules regarding this. Until you can participate as an equal, either with our help of through your own efforts, that is all.

"You should rejoice. Bold steps lay ahead. You stand before the stars and they are within your grasp. Greatness lies ahead if you have the courage to seize it. If you do not falter, the power to transform your world for the better will be in your hands, if you have the will to use it."
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

I sorta miss the old days where leveling the closest mid-sized city with the Mains was acceptable, but this is pretty good too :D
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Burak Gazan wrote:I sorta miss the old days where leveling the closest mid-sized city with the Mains was acceptable, but this is pretty good too :D
Why intimidate and anger them by destroying a city when you can earn gratitude from your intimidation ?
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Burak Gazan wrote:I sorta miss the old days where leveling the closest mid-sized city with the Mains was acceptable, but this is pretty good too :D
This is why we can't have nice things anymore. :P

And...diplomatic, courteous and non-conquering Klingons with multiracial crews? Did the Empire beat and absorb the early Federation at some point in the past? If not, wow. Progress. And also, that would be one hell of a story to write.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Highlord Laan wrote:
This is why we can't have nice things anymore. :P

And...diplomatic, courteous and non-conquering Klingons with multiracial crews? Did the Empire beat and absorb the early Federation at some point in the past? If not, wow. Progress. And also, that would be one hell of a story to write.
Nah, it's just TNG era Klingons. There's no way they would be as closely allied to the Fed if they were rampaging conquerors/enslavers. There's a difference from having most of your military being members of the Imperial race and all of it and there are, according to most sources, Orions in the Fed, the khomerex, and some that are still independent.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Everyone stood as Executor Naden entered the conference room. He waved them down and sat down at the end of the table. "Can we get some juice in here? And some of those nice muffins? I haven't had an opportunity to eat."

"I'll send down for some sir," said a member of his Executive Guard detail.

"Thank you," the executor. "Gentlemen, ladies, our visitors are now in the hands of Planetary Council where the great powers of our world can grumble that they didn't rate a private meeting with the aliens. Tell me what you have for me."

"Executor," began a woman wearing a sky marshal's uniform with white streaks in her dark hair. "We have come up with a plan to defend our world against aggression from these Klingons or other aliens. I have to stress sir, that this a stretch."

"Sky Marshal Dyse, I saw the aliens who can travel faster than light and blow up a civilization ending asteroid in a few seconds teleport right next to me today. I have no illusions about how badly we're outmatched. We don't even know how badly they outmatch us. Tell me what you have."

"Sir, our solution is fairly simple. We use the launch and orbital infrastructure that we've already created to build and assemble the wave rider prototype vehicle. The modifications to adapt the vehicle for space combat are well within our capabilities. We'll be adding targeting systems and ten short ranged Skyjammer missiles, each with a half megaton warhead. The intent is to use the wave rider drive to close rapidly with the enemy and unleash the missiles before the enemy has much chance to react, minimizing the enemy's reaction/decision window and increasing the chance of achieving near contact hits with the missiles."

"Close range attack?"

"Yes Executor," said Sky Marshal Valeniz. The white haired man was rail thin, with quick moving hands. "Given their speed and weaponry, long range attack is simply impossible to execute with the resources we can develop in the short term. They'll outrun it or shoot it down."

"Like they can shoot down this wave rider attack vessel?"

"Yes," he replied bluntly. "Our ground options are little better. If they attack, any concentration of military force they can detect will be on the receiving end of an irresistible orbital attack. Dispersal and guerrilla warfare are our only options and we can reasonably expect massive casualties."

"Sky Marshal Ullex is correct," said Marshal Kaarns, a powerful man with skin so dark it was almost black. "Militarily speaking, we defeat them in space or make occupation so unpleasant and costly that they give up. The more we find out about these Klingons, the worse our position gets."

"No Marshal," said Naden, "it doesn't. They always had those abilities and a military confrontation was always going to favor them. This ball is in my court gentlemen. I just hope it is within my power to deal with this."

"Sir?" asked Council Yaren.

"We are the only super power, but we aren't the only nation on the planet. What happens if some asshole with a militia in Sub-Erasia decides that the gods hate the Klingons and they notice and take offense or any tinpot dictator or want to be tinpot dictator who think he can improve his position by allying with them? What in the name of all the gods do we do if they entrench themselves on Sellon? We're used to having the biggest stick, but we know that's not true when dealing with the Klingons. What happens if they get stuck in down here and decide to push?"

"Do you really think that it's that bad?" Counsel Izaks asked.

"I don't know," said Naden. "They're confident, arrogant even, are very powerful. They speak casually of economic devastation and with confidence when it comes to the spread of their empire. The inevitable spread of their empire. The absolute absence of any attempt to hard sell membership of their empire frightens me. I keep thinking that we aren't the first or the fifth or even the tenth world to be absorbed by them and their watching our attempts to preserve our sovereignty and way of life with benign contempt. We don't know these people, not really.

"And what if I'm wrong? What if they're our neighbors and protectors who are holding out their hands to pull us up? How many millions could die just because of fear of the alien?" He was silent for a moment. It almost seemed to echo through the room.

"But that is my burden to bear. Get me options and information and the best advice you can. This wave rider warship project, get it in motion. Debrief our people with the Planetary Council delegation and see if the Klingons said anything new or different there and schedule a meeting with other world leaders. Let's see if we can get everyone on the same page and not working at cross purposes. In the meantime, is there anything else that needs my attention?"

"Just one thing Executor," said Counsel Deerden. He pushed his glasses up his nose. "There was a small riot in Karitan between two Doomsday Cults."

"You would think that with the end of the world decisively pushed back they would start to fall apart."

"That's the problem sir. The Repentant were proselytizing to the Faithful Children, saying that our wickedness deserved a crueler fate than annihilation."

"That was quick," sai Kewel Naden.

"The Lowest Penitent seems to be fast on his feet, eschatologically speaking," said Deerden. "They've cast the Klingons as the Scourges of the Gods and Harbringers of Hell and were trying to poach followers from The Faithful Children. The Faithful Children didn't take it well. Thus the riot."

"How bad?"

"Two dead, nearly a hundred needed medical attention by the time the police were done. It's all over the news and data networks, which our visitors have proven to be able to tap into."

"We don't need this," said Naden. "And the last time I looked the public was mostly fed up with them, despite their growth. Crack down on them, hard. They did start a riot, after all. All those things we've let slide in favor of public order, act on them. The last thing we need is some religious nutcase shooting a Klingon."
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

I see this government has a good guess on how badly they would be outmatched if the Klingon were hostile, and has some sensible idea. Nice to see.
Imperial Overlord wrote:"The last thing we need is some religious nutcase shooting a Klingon."
Understatement of the year. These Klingon are more reasonable and friendly than TOS-era ones (or some hardasses of their same era), but I can't see them taking well on such a nutcase.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master

Post by Highlord Laan »

You fucking bastard, I thought there was an update.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

I'm really enjoying the similarities and differences between this event and a Federation first contact - also enjoying how the Klingon's didn't take the Voyager route of "eh, Prime Directive, la de da, not my fuckin' problem".

The other nice part is how diverse and realistic the native population is, with multiple world powers, media, religious infighting - not just your typical carboard-cutout planetary species. Looking forward to seeing where it leads.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Cameras turned to follow the alien woman as the Director-General of the Planetary Council completed his introduction and surrendered the podium. For a week the whole planet had been hungry for anything associated with the mysterious Klingons and now one, their captain no less, was appearing in public for the first time. Most of the planet was watching.

The Delegates Chamber of the Planetary Council was a tiered pit like an ancient coliseum. The rows of seats were arranged in semi-circles facing the speaker's podium, giving everyone a clear view. The highest tiers were now filled with news crews from a host of media outlets and all their cameras were focused on the action below.

The first impression was of the sheer size of the woman. The top of the podium came to her abdomen and she was easily a head taller than a tall man. The second impression to register was that she was clearly armed. The third was that despite all that she didn't seem much difference than a Sellonese. Same number of limbs and basic structure, skin colour with the normal range, even a forehead crest. It was almost normal. Then she spoke.

"We are Klingons," she began. "We are warriors who have taken up the challenge of space and an uncaring universe to make our mark under the naked stars. The universe does not care, but we do. We are a race defined by war and struggle, action and achievement. These words, spoken through a translator device, are imperfect descriptors but they are true worlds truthfully spoken and that carries a power of its own. If you would know who we are then you need only know two things: honour and glory. Honour achieved through ethical behavior, through fulfillment of duty, through personal risk and sacrifice. Glory from victory in battle, from discoveries in science, through success in an honourable endeavour. One follows from another if thought is translated into action. This is what we are.

"A week ago by your reckoning my ship achieved both. We protected a young world from a catastrophe. Honourable actions yielded glory, as is the Klingon way. Some of you question if you should fear us. It does not matter to us if you do. We are Klingon. As to our intentions, it is not honourable to attack a foe without sufficient reason and greed for your resources or a desire to use your people as slaves are not honourable reasons. There is no glory to be found in defeating such a weaker foe. We are not a threat to you. Some of you will not believe that, but it does not matter. That will pass as you come to know us better in years that will follow. Only fools will hold onto that belief and the beliefs of fools do not matter.

"We come to you with hands outstretched in friendship. We see a race, that like ours, has turned its eyes to the stars. We see a race that when confronted with specter of annihilation from the skies, banded together to take to the void and battle for their lives. We see that curiosity and we see that strength and in it we recognize a kindred spirit. We are a proud race, but we are not the only race with reasons to be proud. You stand on the cusp of a new era. Honour and glory await those with the courage to take the next steps. I almost envy you.

"As to what our intentions are for the future, they are simple. Our ship will move on, continuing our mission of exploration, but it is likely that Klingon colonies will be founded in this star cluster in the next few years. They will offer aid if you are threatened again by disaster. We may negotiate shore leave or basing rights in this system with your governments, if they agree to them. If pirates or marauders threaten you then our warships will aid you. You will have the opportunity to join our empire and gain the aid and development benefits as members with full rights and privileges, if you choose to take it. From us and from any traders that visit the region you will have many opportunities to learn about the wider galaxy and decide on your place in it.

"Some of you may be suspicious and say this sounds too good to be true or look for a hidden trick. Do so, it does not matter to us. We do not expect any great decisions to be made on short notice. A week ago time was the crucial question of your civilization. Could you complete a weapon that would save you and use it successfully in the time you had left? Now that question goes unanswered. We have given you time, but the future remains yours.

"I am Keelan, Captain of the Battlecruiser Koloth of the Imperial Klingon Defense Forces, citizen and soldier of the Klingon Empire." She turned and left the podium. For a moment there was silence and then applause started and quickly built into a roar.

Media presenters turned to talking head professionals for their analysis and in the data net a thousand discussions threads popped into life. For days to come the Klingon question would dominate the 'net and the airwaves but all the sound and fury would come from the Sellonese. Nothing further would be heard from the Klingons. Some said they had said enough already. Others would disagree but it did not matter. They had said what they intended to say and felt no need to say more at this time on the matter. The wisest said that they are Klingons and leave it at that. The fools got more attention.
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

A magnificent speech. And a good self-description for these Klingon.
Imperial Overlord wrote:Media presenters turned to talking head professionals for their analysis and in the data net a thousand discussions threads popped into life. For days to come the Klingon question would dominate the 'net and the airwaves but all the sound and fury would come from the Sellonese. Nothing further would be heard from the Klingons. Some said they had said enough already. Others would disagree but it did not matter. They had said what they intended to say and felt no need to say more at this time on the matter. The wisest said that they are Klingons and leave it at that. The fools got more attention.
Why is it always the fools who get more attention?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

fools get more attention as they tend to be the noisier ones, while those with brains tend to make noise only when they need to.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Falkenhorst
Jedi Knight

Post by Falkenhorst »

You wrote that speech so well it brought a tear to my eye. I have really enjoyed reading this story and I would really love to see this story continue or see you write others in this same vein.
Falkenhorst

BOTM 15.Nov.02

Post #114 @ Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:44 pm

"I've had all that I wanted of a lot of things I've had
And a lot more than I needed of some things that turned out bad"

-Johnny Cash, "Wanted Man"

UPF: CARNIVAL OF RETARDS
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Thanks for the kind words. It isn't over yet. Another installment will be up in the next few days.
astrospace2020
Redshirt

Post by astrospace2020 »

very good story so far, lets see if they will join the United Federation of Planets . OR Neutral or Join the Klingon Empire . Cant hardly wait for the next chapters .
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

They'll probably lean towards the Klingons since they DID save their world from a major disaster and asked nothing in return for it.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I can't see them joining the Federation. Not when the Prime Directive means that the Federation would have let the asteroid hit their planet.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Picard's chowderheads yes; not Jim Kirk's Federation though -- that was when the United Federation of Planets actually stood for something
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
MondoMage
Padawan Learner

Post by MondoMage »

I don't see the chowderheads allowing the impact to happen, either. They wouldn't reveal themselves to the inhabitants of the planet, but they might arrange for the asteroid to be knocked off course by a "rogue" asteroid that nudged it aside, or cause some outgassing that pushed the rock into a safer orbit.

All in all, the application of the Prime Directive is rather slipshod at best. When upheld it leads to all sorts of assholery, but it is also skirted around rather easily. Admittedly, moreso in Kirk's time than in Picard's.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

There was a joke, going back to the earliest days of space flight, that the lighting in galley of a Klingon warship was so dim because it spared the crew from the sight of what passed as food. The food had gotten better since then. The joke remained popular with junior crew and ensigns.

"May I join you captain?" Arzen asked. Keelan looked up from the half eaten plate of gagh with a side of pipius claws. The captain was eating alone, as she usually did. It was not always the case that there was such distance between captain and crew, but such was the way on this ship.

"Join me doctor," said Keelan. The doctor slid his tray down opposite of hers. He had a large helping of trigak covered in grapok sauce along with a spears of pe'bot fruit on the side. A large bottle sat next to the plate of food.

"Your speech seems to have gone over well with the locals," said Arzen as he cracked the seal on the bottle. A spicy, fruity aroma wafted out. He filled his mug with red-gold liquid from the bottle.

Keelan eyed the bottle. "Is that Tranzen wine?"

"Yes captain. I took the liberty of procuring several cases when we stopped over a few months back. From the Yarvulk Winery. Very good." Arzen lifted his mug to his mouth and sipped. "Ahh. That is really good."

Keelan drank from her mug of warnog. Suddenly the clear ale was not as appealing as it once had been. She put it down heavily. "You did well doctor. No poisonings at the reception."

"It was local food and we are Klingons. We are not a frail race. Although those shellfish pastries would have had a good interaction with our digestive systems."

"Always, it is the most harmless looking food that keeps one sitting on the waste disposal unit for six hours while your intestines attempt to explode."

"Truly captain. Remember Alvarsa? Those innocent looking pies?"

"Pies?"

"Of course you don't. I was the one who scanned them." Arzan ate a bite of trigak. "Toxic shock in under a minute for any Klingon who ate them. A very lethal dessert course. Doesn't matter. What's next?"

"We say our goodbyes and leave."

"Really?"

"These are primitives. They still value their "democracy" and their "sovereignty". In ten years this sector will have Klingon colonies and Imperial member worlds. It will conduct its business in Klingon and its commerce will be governed by Klingon laws backed by the guns of Klingon battle cruisers. Their independence will irrelevant and their elites will realize that they will have more power and wealth by joining the Empire than being outside of it. The rest will follow."

"That easy?" Arzan asked. He took a bite out of a pe'bot spear.

"Democracies are always pander to the interests of their elites. Even the Sellonese have social sciences advanced enough to discover this."

"What about the Federation?"

"They have Vulcans designing their government systems and still their wealthy and powerful have a voice. Although, to be fair to the Romulans, they intend for their elites to be a powerful force in government. Still not as good as being able to kill the councilors and pull down the Houses that work against you."

"It is strange that most species remove violence from their government systems," agreed the doctor, stroking his long mustaches. "There is no place where having the ability to violently remove an individual is more important. And yet so many species react with horror at the thought of killing bad leaders."

Keelan shrugged and stirred her gagh. She took a fistful of squirming worms and swallowed them down. She took a mouthful of warnog to wash them down. "We are fortunate to have the example of Kahless to follow. Too many other species have convinced themselves that violence is an archaic trait to be discarded. As if the universe was kind to the weak and justice belonged to anyone other than the strong."

Arzan shrugged. "The future has always belonged to the strong. It still does. The only thing that has changed is that we can see how green blooded pacifists can contribute to keeping a komerex strong even if they despise war."

Keelan nodded. "The Sellonese are a promising race. They will serve the Empire well and it will do well by them."

Arzan held up his mug. "To the Empire!"
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

:D
Always good to have a scene in the mess with the captain.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master

Post by Highlord Laan »

That is some very apt political discussion. Perfectly Klingon in thought, but with some rather pointed reflection in real life.
Grimnosh
Youngling

Post by Grimnosh »

nice update IO, and I hope to read more of Nalifan in Be Careful What You Wish For.
You know, its remarkably easy to feed an undead army if all you have are just enemies....
astrospace2020
Redshirt

Post by astrospace2020 »

another great new part , lets see what will happen next .