I quick Story question

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

I quick Story question

Post by Lord Revan »

Now I got this original fantasy setting story I've been working on slowly but I've yet to figure out any good names for the main characters and I'm using placeholder (Beth and Jon(h)) names at the moment so here's my question should I post what I got at moment with the placeholder names or should I try to figure out a proper names for those characters first?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Re: I quick Story question

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

Depends on your take on names in general, really, and the cultural connotations that go with them in and- beware the pitfall here- out of universe, connections they represent; and how they influence you to write about, and how you want the readership to be influenced, by the character.

If the name they have is going to change any of that, if it's going to make much of a difference to their identity and how the world around them is going to see them, and thus to the story, then away with placeholders.

For family/clan/gens/tribal names, especially. Some people are shaped by the burden of living up to the expectations of their names, some escape it, some disgrace it, some en-noble it. There's plot juice there.

(Presuming you have read the sticky about original work, first rights, etc?)
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

I've been known to use page 12 of the 3E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting for inspiration in fantasy settings.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.