Gotham Intelligence (V2) Batman vs James Bond

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Gotham Intelligence (V2) Batman vs James Bond

Post by Solauren »

Author's Note: Yes, I actually finished it! Months ago, in fact. I just wasn't up to posting it.
Each act will be in it's own post. Please don't post replies until it's finished. Trust me, you'll know.

Dedication: To my son Conor. You only graced my life for 45 minutes, but they were the most important 45 minutes of my life. Thank you.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Gotham Intelligence (V2) Batman vs James Bond

Post by Solauren »

Introduction

"Can I get you anything else, sir?" The stewardess asked, handing the passenger his martini.

"Nothing right now, thank you.” The passenger replied in a British accent, his voice hinting at what he was thinking. “Perhaps later on, when you're not busy, you could ask me again."

The stewardess blushed slightly. She was used to having passengers flirt with her, but never with the casual skill, or sex appeal, this passenger displayed.

"I just might."

Head turned slightly too covertly watch the stewardess head to the back of the plane, the passenger, Commander James Bond of her Majesty's Secret Service, smiled. The stewardess was attractive, and obviously found him to be so, given how she responded to his casual flirtation. She'd make for an enjoyable encounter.

However, right now, Commander Bond had more important things to worry about. Quantum's activities in Gotham City came to mind.

Bond relaxed more into his seat, and returned to reading the hardback novel he had on him. Actually, it wasn't a novel. MI6 had recently taken to putting intelligence reports for field operatives into a format that allowed them to pass as novels on airplanes and other travel arrangements, complete with academic sounding titles. It made them easier to conceal.

The topic of Bond's novel was his destination, Gotham City, and it's rather, colorful, reputation.

Until about 6 months ago, Gotham City had been, and to a degree still was, a crime-ridden, cesspool of corruption. The local mob had paid off, turned, corrupted, or intimidated the right people into making them virtually untouchable by the law.

There was effort to clean up the city. Unfortunately, it had limited, if any, impact against crime.

That had changed 6 months ago, shortly after Quantum started taking an interest in Gotham City.

Wayne Enterprises, one of the largest commercial and industrial enterprises on Earth, was headquartered, and largely centered in and around Gotham City, and 8 months ago, had begun the process of becoming a publicly traded company.

According to the information that had been supplied to him, Bond knew this had drawn Quantum to Gotham City, with the intention of eventually buying a majority of Wayne Enterprises stock. Combined with their other resources, and an infiltration or elimination of Gotham's underworld, Quantum would effectively control the city. With their resources, it would be a simple matter to expand outwards.

However, this had been derailed with the return, seemingly from the dead, of one Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne's story was well known in the circles it traveled. Unwilling to let his family's company be mismanaged or put into danger, he managed to regain control of the company by buying most of the shares. This was looked upon as a rebirth of Gotham City and Wayne Enterprises, especially when taken in view of other events that had started shortly after the return of Mr. Wayne.

The Batman.

A few things his informant had said about Quantum’s further interest in Gotham City had Bond wondering if they were backing the Batman. Certainly, Batman’s efforts would make it easier for Quantum to end up in control of Gotham's underground, while they slowly acquired Wayne Enterprises. It would also explain the Batman's apparent resources, and his apparent destruction of Gotham City’s monorail system.

Also, with Quantum’s recently MI6 + CIA inflicted set-backs, it would explain why the Batman had suddenly committed a number of murders. It would also explain his recent 'apprehension' of a Hong Kong businessman with mob connections. A businessman who's activities could be seen as clashing with Quantum’s.

Bond paused for a moment, considering the implications of this. Batman was, by all accounts, a highly trained martial artist and combatant, with some interesting resources at his disposal. If the Batman was working for Quantum, Bond would have to be ready for a possible encounter with this growing urban legend.

James Bond allowed himself one of his half-smile/smirks. Was he really worried about a man who had mental problems serious enough, that he dressed up like a bat?

No, of course not. James Bond had other, more serious, things to worry about. Such as were that lovely young stewardess had wandered off to.

Carefully putting his 'novel' into his locked briefcase, and securing that to his seat with a hand-cuff, Bond went off to find the young lady in question. Although he was a charter member, it was always a good idea to assist with initiations…
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Act 1 -

007 held on tightly, waiting for his victim to pass out. The guard struggled once more, before slipping into unconsciousness. Bond released the choke hold, and dragged him out of sight beside a surprisingly clean dumpster. A moment later, he re-emerged, wearing the guard’s jacket, his keys and pass-card in hand.

A moment later, Bond was inside the building, suppressing a look of distaste. Drug-processing centers was something for local law enforcement or psychopathic vigilantes to deal with, not members of her Majesty’s Secret Service.

However, there were probably files in the office of this warehouse that would point him to the local Quantum safe house, where he’d find the head of Quantum’s operations in Gotham City.

And if there were no such files to be found, monitoring of the warehouse would eventually net him his target, even if the past few days had not.

Making sure the door was secured behind him, Bond headed deeper into the building.

This late at night, there was no one here. Looking around casually, Bond noted that Quantum had gone all out to disguise the true purpose of the warehouse. Everything was very, very clean. As clean as the dumpster out back. To anyone that inspected it, it was simply a chemical storage facility. After all, the propane and other chemicals stored here had a variety of legitimate uses, some of which fairly profitable.

Obviously, Quantum was taking no chances. Typical of them. The only time they’d ever made a mistake was leaving Bond alive.

He’d see to it that mistake cost them, and would cost them dearly.

Bond reached the offices without incident, and wasn’t surprised to find his pass-card accessed it. Carefully, he slipped in and secured the door, and began searching the offices. The desks were all clean, and the cabinets were all locked. None of the computers were laptops, but full sized sever towers, even the monitors were older, heavier models.

Quantum obviously didn’t want anything just ‘walking off’.

Fortunately, Bond wasn’t planning to just walk off with them. Bond quickly located the main server. It was the only computer on in the place, and the only one inside a locked room within the offices.

Bond quickly unplugged the server. Taking out a pocket knife, hoping the device he’d been given would work, Bond removed the cover to the server, and plugged the device in as he’d been instructed. A moment later, part of the computer’s insides lit up, as did the device.

Bond moved to the door to wait. Depending on how much data was on the hard drives, this could take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.

It didn’t take very long. 15 minutes later, Bond carefully removed the device, and put the cover back on the server.

He was about to turn it on when he head movement outside the room.

Bond quickly moved beside the door.

“Yes sir, I’m at the room now. I’ll check on it…”

Bond scowled for a moment. Someone had noticed the server go off.

The door opened up, and a man walked into the room, a cell phone in hand.

“Yes, I’m there now sir. Yes, I know sir. I assure you…”

The would-be repair man never finished his sentence. Bond brought his gun down into the back of his head, and sent him to the floor.

Quickly, Bond slipped out of the room.

Only to be punched by a security guard. Not expecting the punch, Bond stumbled backwards into a desk, and dropped his gun. The guard raised a baton and brought it down, but Bond rolled out of the way.

“And here I thought this would be easy.”

Bond tackled the guard, driving him towards the office door. The guard, for his part, clamped a head-lock on Bond’s head, and they ended up on the floor trading punches.

One of those punches snapped Bond’s head to the right, where he noticed his gun had landed. On instinct, Bond reached out and grabbed it, and put a bullet into the guards head behind his left ear.

Bond got up, and checked his lip. He was bleeding, but nothing serious.

Bond headed out of the office to leave, to find out the guard had friends. Several friends in fact.

Swearing softly to himself, Bond jumped off the catwalk leading to the offices, landing behind some crates. He’d have to fight his way out. This might attract attention, but he didn’t have a lot of choice.

= = =

Not once did Bruce Wayne ever think that what he was doing would be easy.

This was underscored by the recent events in Gotham revolving around ‘The Joker’, which ended in the deaths of Harvey Dent and Bruce Wayne’s love, Rachael Dawes.

Lesser men would have found those events over-powering, and would have retreated from his duty, no matter how self-imposed that duty was.

However, he was not a lesser man. He was the Batman.

The Batman, now wanted for several murders. The Batman, in silent conspiracy with the new Police Commissioner to have the Batman accused of those murders to protect the truth, that Harvey Dent had been driven insane by the Joker, and committed those murders to avenge the death of Rachael Green, who Harvey also loved.

A lesser man would have quit.

But he was not a lesser man. So would he quit?

No, the Batman had to endure and carry on, despite the increased dangers of doing so.

No, Gotham City was very much a city of the Batman’s making now, and he had to finish what he’d started.

And what the Joker had changed.

Now, instead of series small mob-bosses co-operating with each other, thanks to the Joker, the mob bosses had all been killed, and new people were rising to take over their organizations and attempt to take control of Gotham City’s underworld.

Things would likely turn violent. The odds are those replacements, unlike the previous incarnations of the mob, had no idea of the value of co-operation, and keeping things relatively peaceful, outside of the occasional required clashes with the police. To the Mob, crime was a business. To their replacements, it might seem like a game.

Batman shook his head as he continued towards the warehouse and industrial district. At least some of the cops that had been under the mob’s thumb would be out of the picture now. That was something.

Also, there was the ‘Dent Act’, which had been drafted by the mayor and Commissioner Gordon. It was already one of the fastest set of laws and regulations draft on record, and a referendum was already planned for a few weeks from now. If it passed, it would grant the Gotham City Police sweeping powers to deal with organized crime.

Hopefully, with the Dent Act, a little luck, and a lot of effort, the police would be able to contain the coming ‘mob violence’.

With the Dent Act, Gotham City wouldn’t need the Batman. In fact, with the Dent Act in place, the continuation of the Batman’s activities would be increasingly dangerous.

So what would the Batman, Bruce Wayne do at that point?

Without Racheal, Bruce feared there was nothing for him to do, or that he could do

But now was not the time for that. He would morn and ponder as Bruce Wayne later. As the Batman, he had work to do.

With a grace and ease that only came from the highest levels of training and physical conditioning, Batman landed on a roof across the street from a warehouse there had been signs of suspicious activity at over the past few days. His instincts told him tonight was the night something would be going down, and he needed to be there to stop whatever was happening, secure the criminals, and make sure there was enough evidence around that it didn’t matter that the criminals had been stopped by a masked vigilante now suspected of several murders.

In other words, business as usual, except now the police would be shooting at him, to kill.

Batman prepared to move towards the warehouse, when his suspicions were confirmed.

A man ran out of the warehouse, towards an alley, just as it exploded.

Without hesitation, Batman soared after his new prey.

= = =

Bond stopped to catch his breath, patting himself down for injuries. Miraculously, the only injuries he’d sustained were from his fist fight with the first guard, and an assortment of minor cuts and bruises. He checked the device in his pocket. It appeared to be intact.

“Well, that was certainly an explosive encounter.” Bond thought to himself.

Taking another deep breath, Bond removed the security jacket he’d ‘borrowed’, and tossed it into a trash can. Fortunately, he had his own jacket on underneath it.

“It’s cold out tonight” a voice said from nearby. “I’d have kept the other jacket.”

Bond turned towards the voice, drawing and aiming his gun as he did so.

“Well, two jackets can be a little much.” Bond replied. “Then again, looking at you, you prefer to overdress.”

“Maybe.”

Bond fired a shot as his opponent leaped, cape billowing behind him. The shot hit his opponent in the chest, but didn’t slow him down.

As Bond suspected, The Batman’s custom was also body armor.

Batman ignored the gunshot as typical of someone from the underworld. He noted it wasn’t a typical handgun. Perhaps this one was custom made. Which made this man a not-typical thug. Probably a hired contract killer or saboteur. No matter.

Body armored shoulder meet stomach, and above-average target or not, he still went down.

Bond stifled a curse as Batman tackled him. Batman hadn’t managed to knock the wind out of him, but it was close. His body armor was impressive.

In reflex, Bond rolled with the impact, and brought his feet up into Batman’s stomach, tossing him over his head.

Bond was surprised when the Batman turned in mid-air and landed on his feet. He quickly got over that surprise, and grabbed his gun from the ground, firing two shots at the Batman before he could react.

Again, the shots were stopped by the Batman’s body armor.

“Do you think bullets are going to stop me?” Batman said, reaching out and grabbing his opponent by his jacket, hauling up and forcing him to his knees.

“Not, but this will.”

Bond moved faster than Batman expected, and drove the butt of his gun into Batman’s exposed mouth. He followed this up immediately with a punch to the other side of Batman’s exposed mouth.

Batman released him, and stumbled backwards for a moment.

“Not so tough against someone that knows you’re in body armor, are you?”

Batman’s response was direct and to the point. He punched Bond hard, in the jaw.

Bond stumbled backwards and over a trash can, as the Batman closed in. Batman leapt again as Bond tried to get to his feet.

Bond was expecting it this time. Grabbing the trash can with his feet, he brought it up like a shield.

Unfortunately, Batman was expecting Bond to do something with his legs, and instead used the trash can as a vaulting horse, coming down behind Bond.

“Now, then, let’s talk.” Batman said, stepping on Bond’s forehead. “Who are you working for?”

Unlike his previous opponents, Bond was trained to react to interrogation in two ways; Ignore the pain and aggravate your opponent if you’re restrained, or fight twice as hard.

Bond fought. Taking the tool he’d used to remove the cover from the computer, he jammed it into the Batman’s ankle.

“This man is more than a hired thug” Batman thought, backing off in response to the unexpected and sudden pain in his ankle. Clearly, he’d have to be beaten down more before he’d co-operate.

“Freeze, Gotham PD!” Came a voice as the alley was flooded with light.

“Some other time.” Batman said, racing into the alley.

“Count on it” Bond said, getting up.

“I said Freeze!”

With a sigh, Bond dropped his weapon and raised his hands. He wasn’t about to get shot. Not now, when he was sure he had what he needed to take down Quantum in Gotham City.

= = =

Commissioner James Gordon walked up to the man his men had just arrested, who had apparently been fighting with the Batman. Batman, of course, had escaped.

Just another night in Gotham City.

Looking at the nearby burning warehouse, now surrounded with fire trucks setting up to fight the fire, he had a pretty good idea what they’d been fighting about.

“And what do we have here?” Gordon said, looking at the man in handcuffs.

“Just a tourist out for a stroll, that ran into a problem.” Bond deadpanned. “This city seems to have a real issue with flying vermin.”

“That’s your story?” Gordon replied. “Get him out of my sight.”

“You might want to tell the fire fighters to be careful going in. There’s an awful lot of propane stored in that building, as well as some what looked like LSD and PCP.”

Gordon regarded the man for a moment. “I’ll let them know. Take him down to lock up.”

“So long as I get my call.”

Because of Joker’s rampage, that line would always make Gordon cringe.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Act 2

James Bond sat in the interrogation room, trying to be comfortable despite his minor injuries. Idly, he was wondering what was taking so long. He’d called the number he was supposed too, and had given the proper code words.

So why wasn’t, as the saying went, he being ‘sprung’?

Commissioner Gordon came in, carrying a parcel, and sat down in front of Bond.

He started taking things out of the parcel. The identification Bond had been carrying, the device he’d used to download the data from Quantum’s computers, his pistol, and a few other things.

He noted the tool he used to remove the computer’s cover wasn’t with his items. Had he they overlooked it? Or had the Batman taken it?

Probably the later. That wasn’t good. That could tip off Quantum that someone was on to them, and not that the warehouse had been destroyed in a spectacular botched robbery, as Bond had convinced his capturers.

“It appears, we have a problem” Gordon said after a moment.

“Really?” Bond replied, deadpanned.

“We’ve gone over your identification, and it’s all fake. Identification, Driver’s License, all of it. The Credit Cards are real enough, but when we tried to trace them, we get stonewalled. Imagine that, a police department getting stonewalled running a simple credit card trace.”

“Imagine that.”

“So, do you want to tell me who you really are, and how you knew about the contents of the warehouse?”

“Not really.”

“I didn’t think so.” Gordon said. “By the way, you might have saved some of those fire fighters lives. One of the PCP tanks was breached before the fire was brought under control. If you hadn’t warned us, and they didn’t have the proper filters in, well, you can imagine what would have happened.”

“Glad I could help.”

“So, let me tell you what you’re facing. Right now, we can treat your warning as a confession, and get your for arson. There’s also the fact you knew about illegal drugs in the warehouse, which will bring trafficking and manufacturing charges in. Then there’s the people in the warehouse. No one was killed, despite one of them having had a bullet graze their head at close range, but that’s still 6 counts of attempted homicide.”

“That’s a lot of charges.”

“And that’s just for starters. So, how about you a deal. I’ll get the DA in here. You tell us what’s going on, and we do what we can to reduce those charges, out of respect for you warning those fire fighters and saving their lives.”

Bond saw movement through the door’s window. “That won’t be necessary.”

A woman in a patrolman’s uniform came in. “Commissioner Gordon? You’re going to want to see this.” She handed Gordon a file. Gordon read it for a moment, and then looked over at Bond in shock.

“From, Director, CIA. To, James, Gordon, Commissioner, Gotham City Police Department.”

“You have in your custody a man that was arrested with a Walter PK semi-automatic pistol. A picture follows.

This man is Commander James Bond, an intelligence operative with the British Government, operating under co-operation, and with the full permission and authority of the Government of the United States of America, specifically the Central Intelligence Agency.

He is to be released immediately, all equipment returned, and all records regarding his arrest destroyed, and the records concerning the incident involved with his arrest are to be classified.

Further, Gotham PD is instructed to co-operate fully with Mr. Bond in the course of his investigation and activities in Gotham City. Expect additional agents from both the CIA and MI6 to arrive shortly.”

Gordon turned to the patrol man. “You didn’t hear that, read that, and you don’t know anything about it, neither does anyone else, is that understood?”

“Yes sir.” The patrolwoman said. “I’ll, go check the front desk.”

Gordon walked over to Bond as the patrolwoman left. “If you’ll give me your wrists, commander, I’ll get those handcuffs off you.”

Bond waited patiently.

“Sorry about that.” Gordon said, clearly still in shock. “Now, can you tell me what the hell is going on?”

= = =

“Master Wayne, is this really necessary?” Alfred said from the front of the car. “Sitting outside the police station, waiting to see if the man that hurt your ankle is released?

Bruce didn’t look up from the newspaper he was reading. Strangely, there wasn’t a lot in the paper about the explosion at the warehouse. Just a small mention of it. Nothing about the fight, arrest, or Batman’s involvement.

“Yes Alfred, I do.” Bruce replied. “Whoever that man was, he’s dangerous.”

“Another Joker sir?”

“Maybe, maybe not. This man, I don’t know how else to explain it.” Bruce said, looking up. “He felt, different. The Joker and his men, and criminals in general, aren’t as focused, as determined, as, well, able, as this man. It was closer to fighting Raz Al’Ghoul. He could be a problem.”

“That can be said about anyone that blows up a warehouse, sir.”

“Wait, that’s him.”

= = =

“Felix” Bond said, reaching out and shaking his hand. “I heard you were in South America.”

“After your little stunt last night.” Felix said, indicating a nearby parked car. “Our superiors decided you needed someone you trusted here to keep an eye on you.”

“Oh? I never thought I needed a handler.” Bond said, getting into the car.

Felix slipped in the other side, and nodded to the driver. “M doesn’t completely agree. She’s got orders for you.”

Felix handed Bond an envelope, which he opened and read.

“I see you picked up our friendly Quantum member.”

“This morning. We already had him under surveillance, and he tried to leave the country after you blew up his warehouse. When M contacted us to spring you, we phoned Gotham PD and got the data from that little portable hard drive, and he sang like a canary when we confronted him with that.”

“Then what took so long to get me out?”

Felix smiled. “Oh, I thought you needed some time to relax. You’re a busy man after all.”

“Well, I guess I owe you something.” Bond said. “Hmm, looks like you and I are going hunting Felix.”

“Hunting?” Felix said. “Not a lot of game in Gotham City.”

“Depends on what you’re hunting” Bond replied. “We’re going after Bats”

Felix shook his head. “I had a feeling you were going to say that.”

“Sir, we’re being followed.” The driver said. “That Rolls Royce back there.”

Bond and Felix both glanced at the mirrors. “I see it.” Felix said. “Time to lose them.”

“Yes sir. Dialing now.”

“Dialing?” Bond said.

“A new trick. All CIA cars in a given city, look the same now, down to apparent damage, and include rotating license plates. In a few moments, ah, there they are.”

3 cars, all similar to the one they were driving pulled into view. Each one had two people in the back seat. With a little positioning, and changing of license plates, it would be easy for someone to lose them.

“I’ll have to remember this one” Bond said.

= = =

“Drop back Alfred” Bruce said.

“Sir?”

“Three more of the exact same cars appearing at an intersection, with the same number of people in them? They know they’re being followed. This is something big Alfred. Something bigger than the Joker. We need to fall back and think about this.”

“Maybe that tool you acquired last night will shed some light on the subject.”

“I already examined it. Its high quality, but nothing you couldn’t find over the counter. Turn here, let’s go get breakfast.”

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Act 3

James Bond, Felix, and two other CIA agents were going over the records they had on the Batman.

“Not a lot to go on.” One of the agents said. “At least nothing you didn’t learn from your fight with him Commander. Ruthless, aggressive, wear’s body armor designed for psychological intimidation, appears to hate criminals, extremely well trained martial artist, and extremely skilled at avoiding capture. And with the exception of the three recent homicides attributed to him, very resistant to using lethal force.”

“No one knows much about his equipment. Recently, his tank-like vehicle was heavily damaged, and self-destructed afterwards. Identification of the remains proved impossible. Apparently, he was willing to drive around with several pounds of C4 and some of the more extreme thermite compounds to insure his car couldn’t be traced.”

“He’s thought to be friends, or at least to communicate with the local police commissioner, and apparently supported the now deceased District Attorney. No one has ever found a blood or hair sample from him at any of his known encounter points. There has been evidence, however, of bleach and other cleaning compounds at a few locations he’s been known to be injured at.”

Bond got up from his place at the table, took a step, and looked out the window of the hotel they were in, his gaze sweeping over Gotham city.

“What are we dealing with Felix? What kind of man dresses like a Bat, drives a tank full of explosives and thermite for self-destruct purposes, and is so, meticulous, his fights are cleaned up with bleach afterwards?”

“I have no idea. Whoever he is, he’s obviously extremely intelligent, or has extremely intelligent support.”

Bond turned back from the window. “Okay, that’s our law enforcement summary. What about the media?”

“He’s been very good at avoiding direct imaging by the media. There are some shots of his tank-vehicle, and his recent cycle-vehicle, but not much of him.”

“Damn” Bond said. “A country obsessed with movie stars and the famous, and no one has managed to take a single picture of this man?”

“No, but I think I have something.” One of the agents smiled. “Look at this transcript. It’s from a recent Television interview.”

Bond took the offered sheet of paper, and skimmed it over. He smiled, and checked out the associated information.

“Felix, care to go for a drive?”

“Where are we going?”

“I think I need a new accountant.” Bond replied. “But first, I’ll need something new for my gun…”

===

Bond walked down the hallway of the apartment building, noting the exits and signs of current occupation of each apartment as he walked past. At this time of day, not a lot of people were home, which was probably for the best.

He noted two people standing in the hallway having a conversation, but nothing to be concerned about.

Bond stopped in front of the apartment and knocked on Coleman Reese’s apartment door. From what they’d learned, he was taking a stress related vacation after the recent events involving the Joker. The police had him under surveillance, for his protection from the Batman.

That, and they were probably waiting for Reese to tell them who the Batman was. Without probable cause, there was not a lot local law enforcement could do, legally, to get that information.

Fortunately, James Bond didn’t operate with those same restrictions. With a smirk, Bond knocked on the door three times, then counted to two, then knocked again.

“Who is it?” came a voice from the inside. A voice that Bond could only described as cautious, and perhaps afraid.

“The Gotham City PD called you about 5 minutes ago to expect me. The password is ‘Nightfall’.”

Bond waited as the door was unlocked, and allowed Reese to motion for him to enter.

“Mr. Reese, I’ll get right to the point. My name is Bond. James Bond. I work for MI6. I’ve been ordered to bring you in for questioning.”

Reese did a double take, and his complexion paled considerably. “MI6? Isn’t that?”

“Her Majesty’s Secret Service.” Bond said. “British Intelligence.”

Reese took a step towards the window, away from Bond. Clearly, he realized what Bond’s presence meant. “Why?”

“A recent intelligence operation in Gotham City was disrupted by the Batman.” Bond said. “I’ve been ordered to either capture or eliminate him. And you claimed, rather publicly, that you know who the Batman is. A smart man like you has probably made arrangements so that if something happens to you, that information gets released. And I’m guessing that’s why Batman has not removed you as a threat, yet.”

Bond took a step towards Reese. “I need that information, Mr. Reese, and I have a lot of discretion on how to get it. So, you can come with me into protective custody, or I can toss you out the window, and wait for your lawyer to tell me what I need to know.”

Reese stopped, seemingly defeated.

“All right, I’ll co-operate. The Batman is…”

Reese was interrupted by the sound of glass breaking.

“Right here.” came the gravelly voice. Batman reached over and grabbed Reese by the back of his pants.

Bond didn’t wait. He wasn’t about to be rattled by scare tactics designed for common thugs. His pistol was already in hand, and he fired two shots.

This time, they had an effect. To Bond’s brief surprise, they didn’t penetrate the Batman’s body armor, but they certainly got his attention. Batman stumbled backwards from the impact against his shoulder, and Bond closed in to pistol whip him again.

Batman was prepared for that this time. He raised an arm, and the throwing wedges imbedded in them launched, catching Bond by surprise, and knocking his gun out of his hand.

“Looks like you’ve got a few surprises up your sleeve.” Bond said. He swung a punch at the Batman.

“So do you.” Batman replied as he blocked. Bond noted that Batman’s forearms were reinforced.

Batman grabbed Bond by the jacket, and attempted to toss him over the couch. Bond responded by grabbing him in a headlock to block the move, and noticed something.

There was a high tension wire attached to the Batman’s back.

Bond grabbed it and yanked. Both men were suddenly pulled towards the window.

Batman braced himself against the wall, Bond on his back. Taking advantage of the situation, Bond attempted to put the Batman in a sleeper hold.

An armored elbow into Bond’s stomach, followed by a toss. Bond hit the couch with enough force the back gave out, and the frame broke apart.

Bond got up, surprised Batman had thrown him off, but relieved to see Reese had bolted from the apartment. Bond had a fair degree of unarmed combat training, and was considered fairly competent, but Batman, he was more than competent.

The man was, quite simply, that damn good.

“Looks like Mr. Reese got away.” Bond said.

“Looks like” Batman replied, as the two men faced off.

“I don’t suppose I can get you to turn yourself in.” Bond said calmly.

“Do you think I’m turning myself over to the mob?”

“Who said I’m with the mob?”

The door to the apartment burst open. Three men with guns were already in firing position. Bond dropped down to his knees to give them a clear shot.

“Freeze!”

Batman spared the briefest of glances at the door, before activating a control on his belt. This time, the high tension wire acted properly, and pulled him out of the path of the weapons trained on him. Several shots were fired, but none appeared to connect.

“Did you get Reese?” Bond said as he jumped towards the window.

“Yeah.” Felix said after a moment, starting towards the window. “He’s just down the hall, surrounded by 10 of the best agents in the state. I’m glad you kept your cell phone on.”

“With it being recorded” Bond said off-hand, as if it wasn’t important. Felix and Bond walked over to the window, and looked around, but saw no sign of the Batman. Or any sign of where he might have come from.

“Damn. Who is that guy?” Felix said aloud.

“Let’s go see if we can figure that out.” Bond said.

= = =

In a nearby vacant apartment that had been rented out for the sole purpose of keeping an eye on Mr. Reese, the Batman smiled. The tracking device he’d slipped in behind Mr. Reese’s belt was working perfectly.

His British advisory’s backup was of concern to him. He’d looked into their eyes briefly, and none of them showed a hint of fear or hesitation. Whoever was involved with this, they were clearly professionals. An international cartel perhaps? Something to consider.

But right now, the Batman had bigger concerns. First, he had to get Mr. Reese out of the country, then he’d worry about how to handle this.

Perhaps the Batman would have to ‘fly under the radar’ for a little while. But for right now, he’d probably have to soar.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Act 4

"Perimeter secure?" Bond asked as Felix came back into the room. On the other side of some transparent glass, the accountant that claimed to know the identity of the Batman was secured to a chair.

"Absolutely." Felix said. "No one's getting in or out of this building."

"Then let's go talk to our man."

Mr. Reese looked up as Bond and Felix entered the room. Reese was in good shape, except for some light bruising to his wrist from testing his handcuffs. Felix moved to remove them, as Bond stood, cross armed.

"Okay, I'm going to make this simple. You know the true identity of a man wanted for several murders, resisting arrest, fleeing the scene of a crime, and most recently, interfering with an intelligence operative in the completion of his duties, and assault on the same. Not to mention a slew of other charges."

"And knowing who he is, and not revealing that to the police, or us, well, you're in a lot of trouble too." Felix said into Reese's ear. “Your family too, if you get my meaning.”

"I, I want to make a deal." Reese said.

"You're not in a position to make deals" Felix said. "Right now, all co-operation is going to do is lower your sentencing as an accessory."

"Hang on now, Felix" Bond said. "We can be reasonable. Let's hear what he wants."

"Money, and out of the country, or at least the continental US." Reese said. "For both me, and my immediate family. And protection in a nice house."

"Do you have anywhere in mind?" Bond asked.

"Hawaii if I have to stay in the United States. If not, some place like Australia. As far from Gotham as possible. Under a new name."

Bond and Felix looked at each other. "And how much money?" Felix asked.

"Not a lot, say, 5 million, or a fixed income of $200,000 a year, with increases each year for inflation, for the rest of my life. Or at least until mandatory retirement age."

Bond and Felix stepped a few feet away from Reese.

"What do you think?" Bond asked.

"A few million to find out who the Batman is?” Felix said, shifting out of ‘bad cop’ mode. “Considering Gotham City wants to get a hold of him, the State and Federal Government wants him, you're people want him, and probably the Chinese, I think it's a good deal."

"Alright, we'll have to clear it first."

"Obviously."

Bond and Felix looked at Mr. Reese. "Okay, we'll make the offer to our superiors, and see what they say."

Two men came in with cell phones, and handed them to Felix and Bond, then drew guns and stepped towards the doors to wait. Bond and Felix stepped back into the side room.

"Hello Mum" Bond began “I’ve got good news”

= = = =

The Batman finished examining the building that Reese's tracking signal was coming from. Hopefully, whoever was holding him hadn't noticed the low power, low frequency transmission it was giving off. Fortunately, it only transmitted when it received the order to do so on it's incredibly sensitive receiver.

Batman smiled. Another of Lucious Fox's ideas. A quick half second burst from the tracking device would be difficult to trace if you weren't expecting it, and might be dismissed as background noise.

The building was fairly well defended, if not well designed. Obviously, it was only converted, and not purpose built. For example, the walls could still be penetrated by heat-detection technology, and the windows appeared to be lamented bullet proof glass. Secure, but not secure enough.

Using his infra-red goggles, Batman counted 4 men on the top floor, 3 on the floor Reese was on, and 4 men in the room with Reese.

He had not doubt the man this had started with was in the room with Reese.

"Time for Round 3" Batman thought.

Batman checked his watch. Hopefully, this would work.

A moment later, the commotion below as the traffic lights started going insane made him smile. Good old Lucious.

Standing, he fired a grappling line and literally flew across the street.

A quick look around upon landing showed no one had noticed him. Not surprising given the commotion outside.

Batman examined the access door to the roof, as the traffic signals when back to normal. A moment later, they went insane again, and displayed a message Batman had suggested. Some computer hacker was proposing to his girlfriend.

A moment later, thanks to a quick application of thermite, Batman was inside.

A few moments later, four men armed with semi-automatic pistols, with armor piercing bullets no less, were down. No one had fired a shot.

Opening a window and door, Batman moved above the spot Reese was in, and put another device on the floor...

= = = =

"All right, I've spoken to my superior" Felix said. "They've agreed to drop all charges and pay you the salary you want."

"And I've talked to mine." Bond said. "They've agreed to provide you with round the clock protection, a house in Australia, and relocate up to 10 family members and a few other people there."

"Can I get that in writing?"

Another agent came into the room with two faxes. One was stamped with the seal of the office of the head of the CIA and the President of the United States, the other the same from MI6 and the Official Seals of both the British Prime Minister and the Queen of England. An agent stepped behind Reese and undid all his bindings.

"Sign on the dotted line, tell us who Batman is, and you're a well-off man." Bond said.

"All right." Reese said, taking a pen and signing his name. "The Batman is..."

The roof to the room ripped open.

"right here." Bond said, as the agents drew their weapons.

Batman leapt down, using Reese as a human shield, and tossed two devices onto the ground, that began to release white smoke.

"Let's go" Batman said, grabbing Reese.

This time, Felix and Bond tackled the Batman, knocking Reese out of the way.

"You're under arrest" Felix said.

Batman suppressed a laugh, and aimed a free hand at a nearby wall, and a grappling line shot out, pulling him out from under the agents.

Bond and Felix closed, as the other three agents on the floor moved in as well. No one had their weapons drawn, there was too much of a risk of killing one of their own agents.

Fortunately for them, they were prepared.

Bond slipped a pair of Brass Knuckles on and drove a fist into the Batman's stomach.

To his surprise, it didn't have much effect. Impressive armor.

Batman responded to the groups tactics the only way he knew how.

He'd been capable of engaging a dozen men at once before he'd been trained by the League of Shadows. Now, he could engage an army. Be began blocking their attacks, and maneuvering them to strike each other. A gauntleted fist drove into Bond’s jaw with a loud crack, sending him to the floor. Felix’s kick was caught, and a quick spin sent him into the wall. Felix slid down and ended up resting on Bond.

Above them, another device went off.

More gas filled the room.

Individually, each gas was fairly harmless, and only served as a distraction. They had differences however. For example, the gas Batman had first used was lighter than air, to cover his descent into the room. The new gas was heavier then air, and began sinking down the hole.

The two gases mixed, and turned into something else.

A moment later, the two agents still standing next to Reese were unconscious from the fumes. As was Reese himself.

The third anonymous agent collapsed a second later.

Bond and Felix, starting to stir from there meeting with the wall, coughed, and then collapsed.

Batman walked over to Reese, ignoring the gas thanks to a filter in his cowl. The filter was only good for a few minutes, but it would do.

Tossing Reese over his shoulder, he fired another grappling line, and left the floor.

===

The effects of the gas were quite temporary. A reason it had never been put into full scale production as a chemical agent, despite its research budget. Bond, Felix, and the other agents got up less than a minute later.

"M is not going to be happy about this." Bond said, his voice as blurred as his vision. He spat blood on the floor. “And can someone get me a towel?”

===

Bruce Wayne watched as Reese got into the private plane that was waiting for them at the airport.

Anyone that investigated into the matter would discover that Mr. Reese had been given a comfortable job in Hawaii a few days ago, and the flight had been planned since then. And if anyone checked into Wayne Employee locations between flight departure and Reese’s detainment, well, Wayne Enterprises was known for the pride it took in employee safety. And those training sessions were often very ‘long winded’.

Bruce hated to admit it, but he was beginning to understand the usefulness of bribery over threats. No wonder the mobs used them.

"Thank you again, Mr. Wayne." Reese said. "For what it's worth, I'm sorry. I know you didn't..."

Bruce raised his hand. "Forget it. All of it. Enjoy your new life in Hawaii. I’m sure the office there will put you to good use."

Bruce watched as the airplane soared off, taking the biggest security risk to his identity as the Batman with it. One day, he might get greedy, but he'd deal with that when it came up.

However, Bruce had bigger problems at the moment.

"Well sir, now that we've taken care of that problem, what are we going to do about these new players?" Alfred asked.

Bruce considered for a moment. “I find them, and deal with them.?”

“Shouldn’t you live this to the police?”

“I can’t, not yet” Bruce said. “They had a prepared and fortified safe house waiting for them. The kind of preparation that went into that building takes months. Whoever they are, they’re ready Gotham police as it stands. Until the Dent Act is enforce, Gotham PD won’t be able to handle them. Until then, Batman will have to do.”

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Act 5

"Who the hell is this man?" M said, examining the damage to the safe house. "How does one man break into a CIA safe house, and take out 9 of the best agents in the CIA and MI6, without so much as getting a runny nose, and escape undetected? And worse yet, he left nothing traceable! Even his computer sabotage of the transit lights is proving as anonymous as he is!"

"We don't know ma'am" Bond said.

"We'll find him" Felix said. "I don't care if I need to bring a hundred agents in, we'll find him."

"Only If he hasn't gone to ground" M replied. "I still can't believe this. How can he have armor that can stop our best armor piercing handheld weapons? It boggles the mind. And did you get your face checked Bond? You look like raw hamburger."

"Yes ma'am"

M sighed, and after a moment, managed to get a hold of herself. "All right, what do we know about the accountant?"

"He's a consultant." one of the agents said. "We've obtained a list of his clients."

M took the pro-offered list from the agent, and skimmed it over. "None of these corporations are associated with Quantum. Quantum has had an interest in several, but nothing direct."

"As far as we know" Felix said. "Our source may not have known all the details."

"Which puts or right back at square one." M said.

"Not necessarily" Bond said. "Felix, do any of these businesses do business with the US government?"

Felix examined the list. "Just one; Wayne Enterprises."

"And we had reason to believe Quantum had been trying to take over Wayne Enterprises. Then Batman shows up and indirectly causes Quantum problems by destabilizing the mob. Interesting that this should happen right as Bruce Wayne shows back up and moves to take back control of his families company."

M looked at Bond. "What are you saying Bond? That the Batman is backed by Wayne Enterprises? By Bruce Wayne himself? And not by Quantum?"

"Why not?" Bond said. "It would explain some of his resources. The cost of equipping Batman would pocket change to someone like Bruce Wayne."

Felix seemed to consider. "We should make a few phone calls. And let's see what we can do with that voice recording of the Batman."

= = = =

"It looks like you were right, James." Felix said. "Look at this."

Bond looked up from the computer screen he and a techie were working on the voice recording on, and took the photo from Felix.

"That's the tank Batman drove until recently, isn't it?"

"Actually, no, it's a military contract called the Tumbler, just photo shopped Black. It was intended to jump rivers during combat engagements and drag an inflatable bridge across it. It was contracted out to Wayne Enterprises. They never got the bridge to work, but the vehicle, by all reports, does."

"Just like his armor" M said. "I just got off the phone with our contacts in Washington. Batman’s armor displays all the properties of NOMAD advanced survival infantry armor. Light weight Kevlar Bi-weave, flexible, and able to stop every hand held firearm we know of, up to sprayed shot. It should also be able to stop the newest MI6 AP rounds as well. Brass Knuckles would also be useless against it."

"So, we’ve got proof that someone connected to Wayne Enterprises is backing the Batman" Felix said. "Now what? Do we go and arrest Bruce Wayne and demand to know who the Batman is?"

“What about the voice recording from your fight in the apartment?” M asked. “Can we clean up whatever he’s doing to disguise his voice and then sweep the telecommunications grid for it?”

One of the computer techs, a young man recently enlisted in Q branch spoke up. “I’ve been analyzing the recording, mum. There was something in the room broadcasting a signal that interfered with our recording devices. To do this kind of damage to a recording, it had to be broadcasting both sound waves and electromagnetic waves. I can’t make heads or tails of the recording. I can’t even verify Agent Bond or Mr. Leiter are in the recordings.”

“Blast, then would have made things simpler.” M said.

“I have good news, however. Mr. Bond and Mr. Leiter were able to recount what little dialogue there was during that fight, and Q branch believes it can come up with a device to counter it, in time. However, in the meantime, I have another solution.”

The tech pulled up a E-bay listing. “We don’t have any of these in stock, but with your permission, we should be able to come up with a suitable version of our own in a few hours.”

M, Bond and Felix read the listing. “A single shot concealable Hand Taser? Is that even legal?”

“Here in the united States, it is. I looked over the specifications of the NOMAD suit, and there is no rubber in it. Whatever device this Batman fellow is using, it’s most likely near voice box. That way, the device can adjust its transmission, and optimize itself to whatever it is Batman is saying. An sufficiently strong electrical shot, even at amperages safe enough to use on a human, should be enough to short out the device. If that doesn’t work, at least we’ll have another chance to collect more data about it while we come up with a counter measure.”

= = = =

“Commissioner Gordon, are you listening?”

“I am” Gordon said from the window, looking out, watching the rain. “You were saying how you have several leads on the source of Batman’s equipment, but no direct sources on who his supplier actually is, or who he himself is.”

M nodded. She wasn’t used to having people not pay attention to her while she talked, but she could tell that something was bothering Gordon, so she let it slide.

“Good. Before we continue, is something bothering you?”

Gordon wanted to scream out what was bothering him. That the Batman wasn’t a murderer, and that Mi6 and the Cia were wasting their time. That Batman was a hero, who’d saved Gordon’s children from enraged and nearly psychotic Harvey Dent, and had agreed to take the fall for Harvey’s crimes. That the Dent Act, however needed, was built on a foundation of lies and half-truths. That in the end, the Joker might have actually won.

In the end, Gordon turned back to M. “I’m sorry. After everything that happened over the last few weeks, my wife’s packed up our kids and moved out. She said she just needs some time away to calm down, but, I know it’s more than that.”

M nodded. “Any type of law enforcement work can put strain on a marriage. I can’t even imagine what kind of strain there must be on an honest copy in Gotham City. But I need you in the here and now, Commissioner. Can you do that?”

“Without any solid leads we can follow up on yet, we’re focusing on two other fronts. The first is the accountant. I take it your, I believe the local slang is ‘dragnet’, didn’t find anything?”

“No. The second you took him into custody, we put up roadblocks like you said. We didn’t take it down until you said, and there was no sign of him. We must have searched 2000 car trunks. We’ve laid about 70 charges for other reasons, but no sign of the accountant.”

“I’m not surprised. This Batman may be reckless, but he’s not foolish. Either the accountant is dead and buried somewhere, or he got him out of the city by plane. We’ve contacted Interpol, and Mr. Leiter’s superiors have contacted all your law enforcement agencies. Every flight that left Gotham from Mr. Bond’s initial contact with the accountant and, and every flight in up to next week, is going to be watched for signs of him.

In the meantime, we’ve begun decrypting his data files. I take it you’ll want a copy of them to look for anything irregular?”

Gordon considered that for a moment. “Even when the Dent Act comes into force, that’s probably outside Gotham PDS authority. However, if you want to turn it over to the IRS and FBI, I won’t say anything.”

“Very well. The other front we’re approaching the Batman problem on is Gotham’s Underground. We’ve decided the best way to locate Batman is to move amongst his prey, to set a trap for him. We’d like you to provide us with all the intelligence you have on Gotham’s underworld, including where Gotham PD is working its way into it.”

= = =
M waited until she was out of the building and in her secure car.

“There is something wrong with Commissioner Gordon. He said it’s simply marital strain, but I think there is more to in then that. Put a man on him, and have someone watching both entrances to his house at all times, even if that means hiding in a trash heap.”

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Act 6

Bond closed the file folder he was reading, secured it with a paperclip, and then tossed it across the table he was reading, away from himself and Felix, towards a growing pile of file folders both men had dismissed as possible avenue’s into Gotham City’s Underground.

Bond and Felix were used to dealing with the upper levels of society, not the dregs of it. They’d have a lot of trouble interacting with it beyond the short term.

“I’m beginning to think that our employers might need to send other agents to this charming city.” Bond said. “Tell me something, Felix, how can your government let a city get this bad?”

Felix raised his eyes up from the file he was reading. “I honestly don’t know. Quite frankly, after this is over, if this Dent Act isn’t passed, I’m going to recommend that the governor of the state declare martial law in the city, and send in the national guard to clean it up. And I’m going to use these files as justification.”

Bond smiled at his friends candor. “You having any luck?”

“I think so. This might be more our style, anyway.”

Felix turned the file folder he’d just finished reading around and showed it to Bond. “It’s a high level gathering of official and semi-legitimate businessmen. They meet once a week to play Poker. They call it ‘the Game’. Most of the people that go to it have at least minor connection to organized crime, but nothing that’s been proven yet. The host is one of Gotham’s senior judges, known to have grudges. Most of those invited have done something against someone this judge has a grudge against”

“Do you have a list of those grudges?”

“They’re a list of minor lawsuits and official complaint’s he’s filed. Gotham PD’s been cross-referencing them against the known players of the Game, and all of them are suspected of having done something against one of those grudges.”

“Interesting.” Bond said. “That could be our way in. Anyone that hasn’t had anything done against them yet?”

“A few. According to the list, one of them is a jewelry store he said botched a custom necklace for one of his girlfriends. Nothing on him besides a note he owes the government a few thousand dollars in back taxes. They’ve even taken out insurance against his business.”

“Well, there it is then.” Bond said. “You and I go and cause this jeweler problems. We get our way into the Game, and the jewelers tax problems go away, and he can rebuild and stay out of trouble.”

= = =

One thing people that actually knew him could say about Bruce Wayne. He was a quick study.

Lucious Fox reflected as much as he walked Bruce through the use of some new computer equipment he’d installed into Bruce’s ‘lair’ near the docks. One that would due until the reconstruction of Wayne Manor was finished and the ‘Cave’ went into operation.

Bruce was busy analyzing footage from a robbery that had made it onto the news. A jewellery store that had been robbed by a pair of well-dressed men. One black, one white. That fact had gotten Bruce’s attention, given his run in’s with a similar pair recently.

The robbery itself has been fairly straight forward. They’d walked in, cleared out the customers, hit the owner several times, damaged some of his stock, and taken several high end piece of jewellery. They’d also taken the stores records, meaning that the jewelry couldn’t be traced.

The fact that the jewellery store was one of Judge Madden’s known ‘grudges’, had stood out to Bruce as well.

“There” Bruce said. “Right there. They were pretty good at avoiding the security cameras, but we’ve got enough.”

The computer had taken what little bit of their faces had been seen on the security cameras, and had reconstructed their faces.

“That’s them. Those are the guys that went after Reese.”

“Very good, Mr. Wayne” Lucious said. “You’ve learned the program quickly enough. So, what do you think this means?”

“That safe house wasn’t something that was thrown up overnight. It’s been there for a few months, and would have held off an assault by Gotham PD. At least long enough for whomever this is to have a good shot at getting away. Especially if they have an enlarged sewer connection. I’d say that we’re dealing with someone that was planning on moving against the Falcone syndicate before Batman showed up, and decided to switch tactics. Maybe waiting for the mob to turn on each other, get weakened by Batman and infighting before making their move. The Joker’s, rampage, and the death of all the mob bosses, probably moved their plans forward.”

“Okay, so, what now?”

“I’m guessing that they went after this jeweler to get in good with Judge Madden. If they’re looking to form a new mob, getting involved with the Game would be a good place to start. Either to start recruiting or making connections, or just to kill everyone to make a statement and take over operations. Either way, I know where they’re going to be next.”

Lucious looked at Bruce.

“Judge Madden is good friends with Roland Dagget. Dagget’s having a party tomorrow night. I’m willing to bet Judge Madden while be there, and these two will there to meet him. I think, Bruce Wayne should be their too.”

“I had no idea you were such a social climber, Mr. Wayne.”

“Funny” Bruce said with a smile. “Judge Madden has been trying to get Bruce Wayne to come to his game nights for a while now. I think that I should accept the offer.”

= = = =

“So, this is the upper crust of Gotham City.” Felix said, unimpressed. “No wonder this city has so many problems.”

Bond smiled lightly to himself, and scanned the room. The bribe they’d slipped the ‘security staff’ had gotten them into the mansion. However, he wanted to make contact with Madden and Dagget as quickly as possible, in case security decided that Felix and Bond needed to pay for more time.

“Now, now, Felix” Bond said lightly. “Right now, we are the upper crust of this city.”

Felix rolled his eyes slightly, and spotted their target. “There he is, standing a few feet from Dagget. Shall we?”

Bond nodded. “Who is that third fellow they’re talking to.”

“I’m not sure.”

“Judge Madden” Bond said, reaching Judge Madden just before he turned back towards Dagget. “I believe we have a common acquaintance. My friend and I recently paid a visit to a jeweler downtown you used to frequent. A really shame about his customer service.”

Judge Madden raised an eyebrow. “Did he try to cheat you as well?”

“Indeed” Bond replied. “He claimed he lacked records of the order, but I did get something else from him. A rather exquisite necklace, similar to the one you had problems with.”

Bond pulled a small box from his jacket, and subtlety showed the necklace in question. “Actually, now that I think of it, this does belong to you.”

Quickly looking around, Madden took the proffered case. “Thank you for dealing with that problem for me, Mister?”

“Bond, James Bond. And this is my associate..”

“Felix Leighter.”

“Are you gentlemen new to Gotham?”

“Reasonably. We’ve been looking to set up business here in Gotham for some time. We’ve been looking to accelerate things since Gotham’s bat problem seems to be being dealt with, and we thought a man like you could help us with the right, permits and connections?”

Judge Madden smiled. “Perhaps I can. Tell me gentlemen, do you play Poker?”

A few minutes later, Bond and Leighter found themselves invited to the Game, and skillfully maneuvered over to meet Roland Dagget and…

“Bruce Wayne” said the famous billionaire playboy, doing his best not to spill his drink, shaking hands with Felix and Bond in that order, before putting his hand briefly into his pants pocket.

“Bond, James Bond” Bond replied.

“Roland, Mr. Bond and Mr. Leighter here will be joining the Game this Saturday.”

“Excellent.” Dagget replied. “We’ve been trying to convince Bruce to join the game over nearly a year now.”

“What can I say” Wayne said. “I’m horrible at cards, and rebuilding my family’s home hasn’t left a lot of room for gambling.”

“Bruce, you own a multi-national corporation. You gamble with money all the time, whenever you make an investment or choose to back a new product.”

“True, but…” Bruce said, taking another drink. “But, I’m gambling on people a lot smarter than any of us, and not on my lack of ability with cards.”

“It’s not always about the gaming, Mr. Wayne” Bond replied. “Sometimes, it’s about whom you know, why you know them, and what they can do for each other. I believe the modern term is, social networking.”

At that moment, a cellphone rang. Slightly bungling for it, Bruce reached into his jacket and pulled it out. “Well, the only social network or game I’m worried about right now involves a pair of blondes. If you’ll excuse me gentlemen.”

With that, Bruce moved away from the conversation, putting his drink down, and picking up his phone.

= = =

Bruce, his overcoat retrieved, slipped into the back of the limo he was driving.

“I take it with you having activated the pager, you learned what you needed.”

Bruce nodded at Alfred pulled the limo away from the Dagget mansion.

“Yeah. Definitely them. Two names to run through the system, and they’re going to be at the game this Saturday.”

“Very good sir. I take it your Saturday night will be spent in the shadows again, except for observation purposes, and not for privacy with a young lady?”

Bruce smiled. “Let’s just get home Alfred. Spending time around Judge Madden always makes me feel like a need a shower.”

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Act 7

The next day, Bond, Felix and the rest of the joint CIA/Mi6 group were reviewing files, M herself still present, given the unique nature of the investigation.

A hot shot CIA Data Investigator spoke up. “As you know, we’ve been looking for the source of Batman’s equipment. We’ve identified Wayne Enterprises as the source of 80% of his equipment. The remaining 20%, we’re reviewing shipping manifests for the last 3 years, looking for parts that could be put together to create that equipment. They remaining 20% should take time, however, from a statistical stand-point, we’ll probably find they can be traced to Wayne Enterprises, or someone involved with Wayne Enterprises.”

“We’ve also been reviewing shipping manifests related to Wayne Enterprises. Over the last few months, since shortly after the company went public, someone has been relocating materials, mostly military in nature, between Wayne Enterprises facilities. We believe that someone in Wayne Enterprises is relocating as much of that type of hardware to one location. Most of the interesting items disappear from manifests once they reach Gotham.”

“I’d say that’s conclusive proof that there is a connection between Wayne Enterprises and the Batman.” Bond observed.

“Indeed, that’s why you and Mr. Leighter are breaking into it this Saturday night.”

“Excuse me, ma’am?” Felix asked. “But I thought we were going to the Game to try to get into Gotham’s underworld.”

“Your superiors in the CIA, and several other high level government officials want the Wayne Enterprises connection investigated as fully as possible. As of right now, we’re looking at the possibility that one of the richest and most powerful corporations in the world is backing a vigilante and multi-murderer, or that someone in Wayne Enterprises with connections is abusing their position. In any event, that has to be determined. If Wayne Enterprises itself is backing the Batman and we’re forced to take them down, the possible economic consequences could be disastrous. Therefore, and all our superiors agree, we need to know exactly the nature of the Batman’s involvement with Wayne Enterprises, and how best to control the situation.

You’re to break into Wayne Enterprises, and download their entire mainframe. After you’ve completed that, you’ll simply arrive to the Game late.”

Bond nodded. “Assuming that Wayne Enterprises isn’t backing the Batman, but he’s somehow gained access to equipment via them, say from a warehouse, does that change our orders with regarding capturing him?”

“If it turns out it he’s stealing from Wayne Enterprises for most of his equipment, our capture order is removed, and we’re ordered to simply kill him.”

= = =
Saturday Night in Gotham City.

Batman looked around, the night vision sensors in his cowl augmenting his sight. Several people standing around outside a business, a woman dressed provocatively trying to talk to passerby’s, and a parking lot full of very expensive cars.

Just another Saturday Night in Gotham City.

“Sir, can’t this wait until the Dent Act is passed?” Alfred said over the built in radio in Batman’s cowl. “After all, we both know that the Game and its membership were next on Gordon’s list after the mob. Gotham PD can handle this.”

Batman shock his head lightly, despite the fact Alfred wouldn’t see it. “No. There is something about these two new players. They’re not like normal crooks. They’re disciplined, calm, organized, careful, and they’ve had combat training. I think we’re looking at ex-military trying to replace the mob.”

“Even more reason for you to stay out of this.” Alfred said. “They could have friends.”

“Even more reason to take them out before they get established.” Batman replied. “Before they can bring in their friends. I take them down and Gordon puts them behind bares until the Dent Act is passed, they don’t have a chance to bring in reinforcements.”

“I see you’ve already considered that possibility then?”

“I have.” Batman replied. “It’s worth the risk.”

Alfred sighed. “Very well, sir. I’ll make sure to lay out bandages and thread then.”

= = =

“Can I help you gentlemen?” the security guard at the front desk of Wayne Enterprises said. “I’m afraid we’re closed for the evening.”

“The company sent us” Bond replied. “Two guards reported in sick tonight.”

Inwardly, Bond smiled. Those two guards that had reported in sick had been picked up by a few CIA agents and paid a lot of money to call in sick to Wayne Enterprises. It was nice to have a real cover story for a change.

And if they called the security company, telephone numbers had been rerouted.

“Oh right, the replacements. I’ll take you up to the main security room. Hey Fred, I’m taking the temps up to talk to the shift-boss. Come take over the desk.”

The replacement guard came over, as the original desk guard escorted Bond and Felix to the elevator.

“So, how long have you been working security?”

“Most of my adult life.” Felix replied.

A few moments later, the elevator opened, and Felix and Bond followed the guard into the heights of Wayne tower.

Opening the door to the security office, their guide said “Hey Boss, I’ve got the….”

Bond raised his weapon and fired point blank into the back of the security guards skull. Felix aimed and took down the two guards at the desk before they could blink.

“Rubber Bullets” Bond said. “What do you know, they work.”

Felix shrugged as he started searching the shift-boss. “Their American citizens, and probably have no connection to the Batman besides working for this company. That means, we don’t kill them.”

Bond nodded. “Well, get to it. Do you have his key card yet?”

“Got it. Next stop, Wayne Enterprises Mainframe.”

= = =

Sitting in his favourite chair, Lucious looked up from his book, looking at his cell phone with an annoyed expression. Only three people called him this late at night. Mr. Wayne, Alfred, and in theory, Wayne Tower Security.

Lucious turned the phone on, wondering what Bruce had gotten himself into now.

“Sir, this Tower Security, we’ve got two intruders dresses as guards in the building. We’re about to call Gotham PD.”

Something about the timing of this.

“Can you patch through the security monitors to my phone?”

“Yes sir, I can do that now.”

Lucious smiled as the images came through. Best upgrade to the Tower’s Security he’d ever recommended.

Lucious stopped smiling when the camera showed him who it was.

“Thank you, Tower Security. Call Gotham PD, and don’t let those men off whatever floor they move to.”

Lucious hung up the phone, and dialed another number. A moment later, it was transferred to another system.

“Sir, that individual and his partner you wanted to see? They’re waiting for you at Wayne Tower.”

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Act 8

Since he’d done it previously, Felix covered Bond while Bond opened up the main file server on the 3rd to top floor of Wayne Enterprises.

“So nice of them to label the machines for us. Makes our job that much easier.” Bond remarked.

Felix raised an eyebrow at Bond. “We do that at the CIA too. You should see the server rooms. I think it’s so if you need to work on one, you know which on it is.”

“Felix, I had no idea you were so technically inclined.”

Felix snorted. “Just get the device in place.”

Bond plugged the device into the inners of the machine. It light up, and got to work. A moment later, a digital countdown appeared on the device.

“This device is better than the one I used on Quantum” Bond remarked. “With that timer, we know how long the download is going to take. Let’s us relax a little, what with not having to watch for the yellow light to turn green.”

= = =
“Were are they?” Batman asked into his cowl microphone.

“Main Server Room. They’ve got the cover off the primary file server.”

“Can you take it off the network?”

“I already have. I’ve switched to one of the five off-site back servers, and isolated the one they’ve compromised. I’m redirecting all network requests to a security program. We’ll be able to study whatever they’re using to try to download or upload to the network, and find a counter measure for it. With any luck, we can use the file logs and security footage to have them arrested for corporate espionage.”

“Maybe.” Batman said. “But first, I want to have word with them. Tell me Lucious, are the windows and computers insured?”

“Everything and everyone in Wayne Tower is fully insured, why?” Lucious said.

“I’m going in….”

= = =

With the loud shattering of glass, Batman arrived.

Felix and Bond smiled at each other. Looks like they had a way to deal with this quickly.

Without a word, all three combatants closed on each other. Both agents had brass knuckles on their hands.

Batman raised his arms and launched his forearm ‘shuriken’ at Bond. Bond ducked them, and they buried themselves into one of Wayne Enterprises print servers. Felix closed on Batman and struck out with a steel-toed shoe kick to the back of Batman’s leg. Batman jumped it, only to find Bond coming in at chest level. Bond rammed his shoulder into Batman’s chest, causing him to flip-over backwards. Batman put his arms out, and turned it into a handspring onto a desk.

“We’re you get your training?” Batman asked. “The military?”

“I could ask you the same thing.” Bond replied, closing. “You know, your theatrics are only going to get you killed. They’ll wear at your body, and eventually, someone familiar with them will use them against you and beat you down.”

“Someone like you?” Batman asked.

Bond smiled. “Possibly.”

Felix took the opportunity to close on Batman again. This time, Felix went high, while Bond went low. Batman jumped over Bond and leapt for Felix. Only to find that Bond was already behind him. Bond tackled Batman in mid-air as Felix caught him. Together, the two agents upended the vigilantly and slammed him down hard, knees first, to the floor.

Bond locked a choke hold on Batman, as Felix began hitting him in the stomach and chest. Choking, Batman put an elbow into Bond, pulled it back, and launched the other set of Shuriken into his crotch. Bond let go, staggering backwards, as Felix drove in, connecting hard enough against Batman’s jaw to cause and explosion of blood.

Batman’s head was snapped towards the open file server, in time to see the countdown go to 0:00.

Batman lunged for the device. Felix hit a solid shot to Batman’s back. Stepping over him, he pulled the device from the computer, and tossed it to Bond.

“Go!” Felix said. “I’ve got the Bat.”

Bond caught the device and ran for the stairs.

Unfortunately for Felix, he didn’t realise that a few second respite was all that Batman needed.

Aiming his grapple gun, Batman used it to pull himself up and at Felix at high speed. As Bond made it up the staircase, Batman picked Felix off the ground, and using the momentum from the grappling gun, sent him backwards into a desk.

Taking a moment to recover, his armor having taken most of the beating, Batman headed off after Bond.

= = = = =

On the roof of Wayne Towers, Bond had reached the edge of the building and was evaluating his exit plan when Batman reached the roof. Bond noted that Batman had slammed through the door, and had stayed to the side in case of weapons fire.

Bond waited until Batman came out, and fired a few quick shots at him, hitting him in the knees. Batman slowed, but kept coming.

“Sorry Batman, but where I’m going, you can’t follow. Give my regards to the Gotham PD.”

Bond turned, and leapt off the roof. Unseen to Batman, he reached into his jacket, and pulled on a cord.

As Bond’s jacket broke apart and the paragliding chute deployed, a smile came over this face. A few moments later, as he turned off the main road, Bond reflected that Batman wasn’t the only one with tricks up his sleeve. But, Bond knew, going by the reports, that Batman wouldn’t be far behind him.

Which remind him, speaking of tricks…

Up on the roof, Batman looked after Bond. “Don’t be so sure.”

Batman leapt off the roof, and activated the electrical charge that turned his cape into a hang-glider.

A moment later Batman soared into the back of Bond, wrapping his arms around Bond, and causing the para-glider’s ropes to go slack. Initially surprise to finding himself in the Batman’s grasp so quickly, Bond managed to turn as they descended, and landed a punch into Batman’s throat, where he’d noticed something when he had him in a chokehold earlier.

The one shot Taser given to him by Q Branch sent a low amperage shock into the small device Bond and felt in Batman’s disguise.

Low in an alley, Batman let go of Bond, dropping him head first into a trash can, and then rolled to a halt a few feet from him.

“This is appropriate” Bond said, getting to his feet. “It looks like we’re always fighting amongst the trash.”

“The only trash I see here is you.” Batman replied, jumping at Bond.

Normally, when fighting a skilled opponent, you don’t employee the same tactic more than once. Especially when your opponent has shown he can handle that tactic. However, in this case, Batman leapt at Bond again, soaring at him for a high tackle. However, this time, Batman swung his legs down, caught Bond in a body scissors, and hurled him into the wall.

“Where’s the device?” Batman demanded, hauling Bond off the ground.

Bond’s reply was defiant. His “What device” was followed by slamming his head into Batman’s jaw, causing Batman to release him. Batman replied with a right hook that Bond blocked, only for Batman to kick Bond in the stomach, and then slam his elbow into Bond’s back.

Batman, Bond realised, was no longer holding back.

Batman hauled him off the ground again. The device dropped from Bond’s jacket. Batman punched Bond in the face, and then tossed Bond aside onto a pile of trash bags, and picked the device up.

“If I was you, I’d leave town.” Batman said. “Gotham isn’t big enough for the both of us.”

With that, Batman aimed his grappling gun at a nearby fire escape, and used it to launch away.

Behind him, Gotham PD approached the fight, while Bond, on the top of the trash heap, began laughing.

= = = = =
Felix came to a few minutes after Batman left the room. He winched in pain. He definitely wanted a suit of armor like Batman.

Felix’s heard people coming up the stairs. He pulled his cellphone and hit speed dial.

“Felix.” He said simply.

“M” came back the reply. “The download was successful, we’re reformatting it now. You and Bond get to the Game.”

Felix smiled. “Change of plans, Gotham PD is about to enter this floor.”

“In that case, surrender, and I’ll have your superiors call them off. Good work Mr. Leighter. The CIA would be foolish not to promote you to their equivalent of the Double-O program.”

“Thank you, Ma’am” Felix said. “I love this wireless stuff.”

A moment later, after Felix had turned off his cellphone (erasing it’s memory), several members of Gotham’s finest burst in.

“Freeze, Police!”

“Of course” Felix said with a smile. He moved his head. “My guns over by the computer.”

= = = = =

Bond and Felix sat at the briefing table a few hours later. Every data analyst in the CIA and Mi6 had been working on the data non-stop since the download finished, and Q branch had been exited when Bond handed them a clean copy of the Batman’s voice. Not only would they be able to develop a countermeasure to whatever Batman was using to prevent audio recordings, they’d be able to come up with their own version.

Bond found little comfort in that, as he held an icepack to the left side of his head, and Felix hand was sitting with an icepack attached to his back via medical gauze.

The lead analyst on the project was speaking.

“We’ve completed our analysis of the Wayne Enterprises mainframe data. We can report, conclusively, they have no connection to Quantum. Now, as for the Batman, it appears all of his Wayne Enterprises created equipment and weapons came from their Applied Sciences department for completed but abandoned projects. The jet-assisted bridge laying vehicle known as the Tumbler, and his NOMAD armor, for example. This department was headed by the current CEO of Wayne Enterprises, Lucious Fox. Who had, and still has, full access to it.

It should be noted that, Lucious Fox, while highly intelligent, is not old enough to be the Batman himself, but could be his quartermaster or armorer.

This brings us to better news. It appears that Mr. Bond was successful in using his miniature-Taser weapon in disabling Batman’s anti-recording technology. In fact, we’ve already cleaned up his voice.”

The analyst planned the recording, and both Bond and Felix looked up in surprise.

“Play that again.”

“What is it Bond?” M said.

Bond waited until the recording was finished.

“I know who Batman is. Felix and I have spoken to him in fact.”

“Who is it Bond?” M said.

“Clear the room.” Felix said. “Just you, me, and Bond. It’s that shocking.”

M looked around and nodded, and everyone else in the room filed out and closed the door.

“Well, spill it.”

“It’s Bruce Wayne.”

“The Billionaire Playboy?” M said. “Don’t be ridiculous.”

“Is it?” Bond said, as the pieces flooded together. “He’s the owner of Wayne Enterprises, and Lucious Fox has been friends with his family for years. He disappeared for nearly a decade, doing who knows what while he was gone, and showed back up shortly before the Batman appeared. He’s the right height, right build, and that’s his voice on that recording. And he has the motivation, what with the murder of his parents at a young age.”

“Let’s suppose for a moment your right. You do realise that arresting Bruce Wayne as the Batman will cause global economic chaos?”

“What else would you suggest then?” Felix said.

M considered for a moment. “I’m acquainted with the Wayne Butler, and Commissioner Gordon has been acting rather odd, even for an American Police officer. So I had him followed. One of our agents saw him talking with the Batman last night, before he would have needed to move into position to put the Game under surveillance. No useful audio, but Gordon didn’t seem bothered by the Batman.”

“Bond, go outside, and tell Mr. Mathers to get Gordon in here, now.”

= = =

Jim Gordon couldn’t believe it.

There it was, clear as day. Him, speaking to the Batman, recorded by a Mi6 agent in co-operation with the CIA.

Or as they said, conspiring with a known murderer.

“So, Commissioner” Bond said, leaning back against the table. “Why was the Chief of Police in Gotham City speaking so calmly with a known wanted murderer outside his own house, when that man apparently murdered Harvey Dent in front of that same Police Chief’s own children?”

Gordon couldn’t look up.

“We know who he is. Audio recordings analysis, including his backers. As you can imagine, he’s got some very powerful and well-connected friends. We take him down, it will be economic chaos for Gotham City. Tens of Thousands out of work. Unless you give us a reason not to.”

Gordon looked up. Bond could see the inner turmoil in his face.

“I got a cellphone call just after Batman secured the building the Joker was held up in and we rescued the hostages…. The man that really killed the three men that Batman’s now accused of killing had my family hostage. I went there, and Batman arrived. There was a, exchange, and the hostage taker moved to shoot either me, or my son. Batman, tossed himself at the kidnapper, and they fell. Batman got up, but the kidnapper didn’t. We decided, for the good of the city, the kidnappers role in it had to be covered up, so Batman agreed to take the fall for it. He volunteered to protect Gotham, so as not to undo the kidnappers good work up to that point. Before that good man was poisoned by the Joker.”

Bond looked at Felix and M. It was fairly obvious who the kidnapper was, and why Gordon and Batman were protecting him.

“Very well.” M said. “Mr. Leighter, as the CIA man on location, do you agree that there is no need to either arrest Batman, or reveal why?”

“Yes ma’am. I’m sure I can convince my superiors of the same thing. Provided we can convince Batman to cease his activities.”

“Leave that to me.” M said. “Thank you, Commissioner Gordon, you can go.”

“What are you going to do?” Gordon said, sounding desperate.

“We’re going to protect your secret” M said. “After all, that’s what the CIA and Mi6 are for.”

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Final Act

Yawning, Bruce managed to pull himself out of bed before 11am. In fact, he was rather pleased he was out of the shower and moving towards the kitchen by 11am. He was surprised that Alfred hadn’t already made his breakfast. Maybe Alfred had decided to start waiting until he knew Bruce was up before starting it.

Since he was expecting Alfred to be making breakfast, Bruce was not ready to see him sitting at the table, speaking to well dressed woman close to Alfred’s own age, who was holding the data device he’d gotten from ‘Bond’, the night before.

“Alfred.” Bruce said.

Alfred got up. “Master Bruce. Allow me to introduce an old… friend of mine. This is…”

The woman got up. “You can call me M. I’m the head of British Intelligence. Specifically, Mi6.”

Bruce stopped cold in his tracks, if just for a moment.

“Please, take a seat, Mr. Wayne.” M said, sitting down, and reaching for her cup of tea.

“I’ve been in town heading up the investigation into the activities of the Batman, with the help of two agents. Agent Felix Leighter from the CIA, and Commander James Bond of Mi6. Our investigation was originally into an International organization known as Quantum. During our investigation, Mr. Bond raised a storage facility being used as a drug lab by Quantum, and ended up engaging the Batman. We decided to investigate the Batman in case he was connected to Quantum. Quantum is, or rather was, a very dangerous organization, and we couldn’t leave any element of it untouched.”

M drank her tea and continued. “In the course of our investigation, we learned Batman was using some sort of device to prevent audio recordings of him begin taken. Last night, Mr. Bond and Mr. Leighter were investigating Wayne Enterprises, as our research showed Batman was using technology originally developed by Wayne Enterprises for the United States Military. Nomad Infantry Armor, and a Jet assisted armored bridge-laying assault vehicle known as the Tumbler. The Data from Wayne Enterprises did clear Wayne Enterprises and Batman of any connection to Quantum. However, during the investigation, the Batman appeared, and Commander Bond was able to disable the audio jamming technology, and get a clear recording of Batman’s voice. Our analysis has conclusively identified his real speaking voice, and positively Ide the Batman.”

“I see.” Bruce said. “In that case, are you here to take me into custody, or just shot me dead at my breakfast table?”

“I don’t see why I’d do that, considering how we also have proof, in the form of a confession from Commissioner Gordon, that you are innocent of the crimes you’re accused of in the guise of your alter ego, Mr. Wayne.”

Bruce closed his eyes. “What are you going to do?”

“If you’ll wait a moment, I’ll tell you. You see, as Alfred said, I’ve known him for a long time. When I confronted him with this information this morning, while having the entire building locked down and a dozen agents ready to burst into your bedroom to detain you, he explained to me your, how did he put it, Grand Plan for saving Gotham City. That you’d be a symbol for the people to rally around. A way to revitalize them into doing something about the corruption that gripped their city.”

M drank more of her tea.

"Mr. Wayne, I'm going to be blunt with you. Your theatrics have had the desired effect on Gotham City. You've revitalized the people, and with the pending Dent Act, Gotham PD will be able to finish what you started. Unfortunately, as of right now, if you continue to operate as the Batman, Gotham PD will be forced to hunt you down. The CIA has decided that they can't allow a waste of tax-payers dollars like that to hunt an innocent man, and are preparing to reveal the truth about what happened with Harvey Dent in order to clear you.”

M put her tea down, and looked Bruce squarely in the eye. “But we both know if that happens, the Dent act will lose its support, and ever prisoner rounded up in the past few months will be released. Gotham PD will be powerless to stop the resulting crime wave, even with the Batman’s assistance, and the end result will be global economic chaos, as the effects on Gotham ripple outwards.

However, if the Gotham PD aren’t pursuing Batman, then there is no need to clear him and save taxpayer money. Without Batman cleared, the Dent Act passes, and Gotham City will be cleaned up, and economic chaos will be averted."

M picked up her tea and finished it.

"In short, hang up your costume, and leave the police and intelligence work to the professionals." M continued. "And, to remain blunt, the only reason I'm going to keep the CIA and Mi6 off your back personally for the damage your activities as Batman have caused, I is to repay a debt both agencies have to Mr. Pennyworth. If Alfred didn't think so highly of you, we'd be having this conversation in a holding cell. And if you give me reason to do so, we may end up having it there. Do I make myself clear?"

Wordlessly, Bruce nodded.

“Good. I’m going to trust you to deal with your affairs relating to the Batman yourself. If I was you, I’d lay low until you’ve heard I’ve retired or died. The only people that know your secret identity outside of this room are Commander Bond and Mr. Leighter, and they won’t reveal your secret, ever, in thanks for Mr. Pennyworth’s services in the past. I hope you appreciate what we’re doing, and not doing, for you.”

With that, M stood and put our her hand. “A pleasure to meet you Mr. Wayne. I didn’t have the pleasure of knowing your parents, but I believe you would have done them proud. Alfred is certainly proud of you.”

Still wordless, Bruce shook the offered hand.

“It was nice seeing you again, Alfred.”

“Always a pleasure M.”

With that, M turned to leave. Bruce watched her until she reached the elevator. He wasn’t surprised to see Commander Bond waiting for her. Bruce and Bond locked eyes for a moment. Bond smiled, and gave a quick salute to Bruce before getting onto the elevator.

= = =

Bruce counted to 10 while he regained his composure, shaken by what had just happened. When he found his voice, he calmly turned to Alfred.

"What debt was she talking about Alfred?"

Alfred considered for a moment. "Do you remember the story I told you about the man in Burma that was stealing jewels for sport?"

Bruce nodded.

Alfred smiled. "Let's say I needed her approval to burn down the forest."

= = =

“So, what’s my next assignment, M?” Bond asked, getting into the car with her.

“Interesting you should ask that.” M said, as the driver handed her a file folder. “The Quantum agent the CIA picked up here in Gotham has revealed some interesting things happening in Metropolis. As it turns out, Quantum has an interest in several LexCorp projects….”

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Okay, Done

Grimnosh
Youngling

Post by Grimnosh »

Not bad, not bad at all. And Alfred as a probable one time agent of Mi6? Definitely a possibility.
You know, its remarkably easy to feed an undead army if all you have are just enemies....
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Very much enjoyed this story.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Dynamic and not too contrived. Nearly all action, but that's ok for a short piece. Good work.
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Very nice. Though, the question is, what happens when Bane and Talia show up for the events of The Dark Knight Rises? Same thing that happened in the movie?
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I figure that 'Skyfall' happens a few months (at least) prior to 'The Dark Knight rises' in this timeline.

So, no change to either timeline.
For Batman, it just reinforced his need to retire with his being accused of the 'Dent Murders' and the Dent Act itself.
For Bond, just a mission against someone with a gimmick.

The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

Enjoyed this one!
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick