"Seeking the Past" - "Undiscovered Frontier" Season 1

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: "Seeking the Past" - "Undiscovered Frontier" Season 1

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

What makes you think the Goa'uld, particularly Annubis or Baal, wouldn't side with the space Krauts?!

Or those Ori dickheads, for that matter?
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:What makes you think the Goa'uld, particularly Annubis or Baal, wouldn't side with the space Krauts?!

Or those Ori dickheads, for that matter?
The Goa'uld are too proud to consider themselves mere equals to the Nazis. They would want to dominate them as masters. The Nazis likewise would consider the Goa'uld to be subhuman parasites (which in fact they are), and would want them exterminated. If (and that's a big if) they work together to fight a common foe, they would be subverting each other at every opportunity.

The Ori would be much the same. They would want the Nazis to worship them and the "Superior Aryian Race" would not want to bow to anyone or anything.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Well the Nazis don't like aliens and wouldn't worship the Goa'uld as Gods, or let them be in charge, so yeah, it'd get messy.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Which story was it again where they came across the Goa'uld and Worf slew Cronos?
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Borgholio wrote:Which story was it again where they came across the Goa'uld and Worf slew Cronos?
The TGG Multiverse story "One Small Step" had Worf killing Zeus, not Cronos.

And dammit, my replies from last night kept getting eaten, my phone couldn't stay logged into SDN for some reason. I was going to say I didn't mean to imply that only Thanas would consider the outcome a nightmare, and that as I recall, I went to him to make sure I got Lamper's rank correct (since the RL rank of "Käpitan-zur-See" would obviously not go for a space fleet).

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:71 years. Never have insomnia and do math at the same time.

Was this a mis-post? I'm not sure I get where this statement has context in this thread?

And EF, glad to know you've enjoyed what we have so far and are looking forward to next season's stories. :)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Borgholio wrote:I'm loving this story so far, especially the action scenes. Anything that involves smashing Nazis is just pure fun. :) Question for you Steve...did you ever explain just how much space the Nazis actually control?

Sorry, missed this one.

Glad you're loving it. I do try with the action scenes. And yeah, smashing Nazis is fun.

As for your question, I never outright stated it. I do imagine that they control a fairly large portion of space at the moment. Their ideology would support constant expansion; ever more lebensraum for the Aryan Race to grow and fight the other species of the galaxy.

Of course... that may be something of a weakness as much of a strength, since there's always the risk of over-expansion stretching you thin.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Steve wrote:
U.P. Cinnabar wrote:71 years. Never have insomnia and do math at the same time.

Was this a mis-post? I'm not sure I get where this statement has context in this thread?
A ghetto edit to my first reply to you.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

If you really have the urge to be unkind, have them run into some one who makes their fascism and racism a giggle fest. If The Doctor is around, well, usually his 'ole pals aren't far off.... Daleks :twisted:
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

They already met the Daleks. It did not end well. Control's only advice on defeating them was "Find the Doctor."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

And, apparently, they will. The NAZI's are stupid enough and arrogant enough to try and take them on. Even one Dalek would be all you need. Good guys RUN, NAZIs get turned into screaming, smouldering chowder. Works for me
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I think the Daleks are too much even for the Nazis. My vote is still for Nazis vs Goa'uld, although there are other bad guys out there that would be a nice match. Nazis vs Draka? Nazis vs Zerg?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Nazis vs Replicators?

Also, i initially read that last suggestion as Nazis vs Zoidberg for some reason :D

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Also, i initially read that last suggestion as Nazis vs Zoidberg for some reason :D
Now now...we don't want the poor Nazis to suffer TOO much.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Heh, now that the season's over, I'll comment on one of the changes from my original plans (besides adding two episodes - "Past Mistakes" and "The Survival of Hope" - to the season).

Originally, Worf and Data were not the ones who would have joined them in 1-14. Instead the end of 1-14 would have had a scene in Nechayev's office in Starfleet HQ where she states that despite the Council's decision to stay out of the war directly, she wanted to make sure they had extra assistance in tracking down and securing the Darglan Facility. So she assigns them an agent, one of her best, who is no longer officially in Starfleet.

And yeah, you're already guessing that agent, and you're right: Mackenzie Calhoun, a.k.a. M'k'n'zy of Calhoun, a.k.a. Mac the Bastard. Or as I like to call him, Mackenzie Fucking Calhoun. This of course would have predated the New Frontier stuff by 2 years, so he's not a Captain yet, just a former Starfleet Officer doing black ops intel work for Nechayev.

Now, you might ask... why did I not go through with this? After all, Calhoun is a popular Memetic Badass of the Trek EU these days.

The answer is threefold.

One: I admit that later New Frontier books are not to my liking, and the last one - "Blind Man's Bluff" - finally had me wash my hands of the series, as I felt Peter David was becoming too enamored with killing people off just for the "shock value" (witness the killings of the Trident crew in the prior book and the slaughter of Xenex in that particular volume), and I felt his "D'myurj" enemies were more annoying than interesting, and the Brethern were such a blatant nod to Sontarans that it felt more like parody or rip-off than homage. As a result, my interest in having Mac show up waned.

Two: By the time I was getting up to writing 1-14, Worf and then Data seemed better choices. This is pre-Way of the Warrior and post-Generations, after all, so they were available. They worked better in having interactions with the crew (especially the Delgado sisters). And in the case of Worf, it was amusing to me as an in-joke because in the original stories, he was one of the characters I poached for the hero crew, so having him join this crew even temporarily was a nod to that old (crappy) storyline.

Three: Two words. Commander Shepard. While having Mac and Shepard kick ass together sounds really cool and that was very much my original idea, I later thought it might have been a bit redundant to have both Memetic Badasses, even if their skill sets are slightly different. Worf and Data complemented her addition better because they clearly had more diverse roles for the idea of helping the Aurora crew train and prepare for the operation.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

I was frankly expecting Kirk or Picard to join up for a bit. Since Kirk is still alive in the Trek EU. I'd forgotten about Calhoun, and frankly, he's a bit forgettable, to be honest.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

The Shatner novels with Kirk still alive in the post-TNG period are semi-EU, I believe, and I'm not counting them. In the original version of this written in the late 90s, I did actually have them get Kirk... but it was done in a wanky way and I'm not doing that again.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Thank fuck for that, because the Shatner/Reeves-Stevenses Kirk novels were just...bad.

Disappointing too, as the Reeves-Stevenses were the authors behind the only ST novel I ever cared for, Federation.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Federation was a great novel, to the point that First Contact was a let down compared to their portrayal of Cochrane's first warp flight.

The only Shatner book I really enjoyed was the first. "Ashes of Eden".

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Steve wrote:Federation was a great novel, to the point that First Contact was a let down compared to their portrayal of Cochrane's first warp flight.

The only Shatner book I really enjoyed was the first. "Ashes of Eden".
I'll go to my grave saying Federation should have been made into a movie, instead of Generations, but....

I have the sketchy outline for an AU where the Optimum still controls Earth, and created the Federation, somewhere around here. Best, if I don't find it, I think.
astrospace2020
Redshirt

Post by astrospace2020 »

great story so far