"A Short Engagement - TGG Multiverse Short

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Steve
Emperor's Hand

"A Short Engagement - TGG Multiverse Short

Post by Steve »

This short is being yanked until it can be reworked into something more refined.
Last edited by Steve on 2013-03-06 09:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Re: "A Short Engagement - TGG Multiverse Short

Post by Themightytom »

Wow I enjoyed that immensely, the ADN is getting seriously advanced, and it was good to see a different outcome to the battle of Icarus...as in... not a retarded one. The Lucian alliance needs to rethink challenging the Tauri if they are ADN allies. Since the Stargate program is disclosed, did they need to scout Eli vis a vis The Last Starfighter, or were they able to just have some expert figure it out? Would Rush be called on his bullshit a lot earlier in this scenario? i'm guessing he didn't get to hijack the emergency dial since the situation was so much more tenable that Young didn't have to fall back, and TJ didn't have to abandon Doctor Lunchmeat. Telford is still presumably brainwashed though and Destiny is waiting, Eli, if he's there, didn't need long to figure out Rush's error, but now there's time to follow their original plan... which originally put Telford in charge of the advance team to Destiny, :twisted: .

I'm surprised the Talaorans let the ADN near the Kobolans, not because of the viper design necessarily but the FTL's development potential, who knows how far it could be taken with federation, mimbari and Asgard technology.

...and wait HOW far away was the John Sheridan? Near Earth Space?? if they picked up a distress signal how come a lot more ships didn't? I would imagine the ADN would have a strong presence in EM-5 ST-3 and most universes with an Earth except the Taloran one, and the Taloran's would have helped. Is there "distance" between universes? Their hyperspace is faster than Tauri, Eli was on the George Hammond long enough to watch hours of SG-1 episodes...er...briefing tapes.. and have lunch with Chloe.

Is Hammond alive in this universe by the way? They didn't change the name of the phoenix.

I like the idea of an advanced technology viper frame. Deploying them from multiple tubes rapidly makes it harder to pick them off if you get the drop on them. In the old Rogue Squadron II and III games I used to make directly for the launch bays to pick off the cloud of ties as they emerged from their bays. Vipers coming from multiple tubes staggered would be a little harder, and if you had forcefield technology, they could be convient space savers. You store them in the tubes and launch them right out without all the airlocks and elevators and stuff.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

So what DID happen with the BSG Colonial fleet in the Taloran universe? I think I missed that story...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Themightytom wrote:Wow I enjoyed that immensely, the ADN is getting seriously advanced, and it was good to see a different outcome to the battle of Icarus...as in... not a retarded one. The Lucian alliance needs to rethink challenging the Tauri if they are ADN allies. Since the Stargate program is disclosed, did they need to scout Eli vis a vis The Last Starfighter, or were they able to just have some expert figure it out? Would Rush be called on his bullshit a lot earlier in this scenario? i'm guessing he didn't get to hijack the emergency dial since the situation was so much more tenable that Young didn't have to fall back, and TJ didn't have to abandon Doctor Lunchmeat. Telford is still presumably brainwashed though and Destiny is waiting, Eli, if he's there, didn't need long to figure out Rush's error, but now there's time to follow their original plan... which originally put Telford in charge of the advance team to Destiny, :twisted: .

I'm surprised the Talaorans let the ADN near the Kobolans, not because of the viper design necessarily but the FTL's development potential, who knows how far it could be taken with federation, mimbari and Asgard technology.

...and wait HOW far away was the John Sheridan? Near Earth Space?? if they picked up a distress signal how come a lot more ships didn't? I would imagine the ADN would have a strong presence in EM-5 ST-3 and most universes with an Earth except the Taloran one, and the Taloran's would have helped. Is there "distance" between universes? Their hyperspace is faster than Tauri, Eli was on the George Hammond long enough to watch hours of SG-1 episodes...er...briefing tapes.. and have lunch with Chloe.

Is Hammond alive in this universe by the way? They didn't change the name of the phoenix.

I like the idea of an advanced technology viper frame. Deploying them from multiple tubes rapidly makes it harder to pick them off if you get the drop on them. In the old Rogue Squadron II and III games I used to make directly for the launch bays to pick off the cloud of ties as they emerged from their bays. Vipers coming from multiple tubes staggered would be a little harder, and if you had forcefield technology, they could be convient space savers. You store them in the tubes and launch them right out without all the airlocks and elevators and stuff.
A lot of questions there, and a lot of the issues will be used in the upcoming SGA stories.

According to what I saw on the SG wiki, the Icarus Base planet was apparently only 21 light years from Earth; presumably in the SGU pilot the Hammond was going at a leisurely pace to give Eli time to get up to speed. The reason no other ships responded to the distress call as quickly is because, well, there won't be many thick "on the ground" as it were since the main need for ships won't be in the Milky Way but.... elsewhere. :twisted: Additionally.... remember that even now the vast majority of ships in the Multiverse don't have the Michaels Drive that the Gray Star and Sheridan, as well as other ships, employ (said drive was given its development due to what Dr. Michaels used in the first SG-1 story, "One Small Step"); only the really big strategic carriers of the Alliance and a Taloran counterpart design have IU wormhole generator tech (as separate from Michaels Drive) because of the sheer power it requires and the bulky mass of the generator systems. The Sheridan's size isn't as great as it could be precisely because they had to make it small enough that the power needs of a Michaels Drive didn't become astronomical enough that the ship's power systems couldn't do it. By having said drive it was able to quickly and efficiently respond to Phoenix's SOS even from another universe. Michaels Drives are probably still limited to IUCEC service ships as it is, and as stated, they have need for those ships... elsewhere. :twisted:

As for the eventual emigration to the ADN of Kobolians, the Talorans did eventually relax their restrictions on travel through the Oralnif and to the Colonies of Kobol, and in turn that would have enabled emigration, primarily - I imagine - among diehard Kobolians who could not accept even the slight modicum of independence the Taloran Empire granted Lee's government and who were understandably distrustful of Taloran motives. This is especially going to be important because the Kobolians, as polytheists, will face discrimination and persecution if they try to operate in the wider Taloran Empire since one of the really big issues of Farzianism is its approach to such religions (namely, any and all "pagan" and polytheist faiths are considered tools of the Farzian evil god Idenicamos). I'm not saying all would go, but I'm sure some would. And, heh, we may even meet a couple in some stories....

And it's my intention that Hammond is alive at this point in the continuity, probably finally retired.

As for Eli.... I honestly doubt they did the "hidden in a game" thing. Data and Jarod, among others, would have likely aided with those calculations instead. It's entirely possible that one butterfly of disclosure means Eli will forever remain a slacker who never meets his potential.

Finally, on the Lucian Alliance.... let's just say the IUCEC and IOA states will have plenty of other concerns that would let a group like them be willing to gamble on a massive prize like Icarus. The key question is.... do they still have Telford as their brainwashed agent, and if so how long can Telford remain undetected with IUCEC participation in projects, including the presence of telepaths?

Oh.... so, anyone have anything to say about the Sheridan itself? 8)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Themightytom wrote:I'm surprised the Talaorans let the ADN near the Kobolans, not because of the viper design necessarily but the FTL's development potential, who knows how far it could be taken with federation, mimbari and Asgard technology.
Haven't they been calling the Battlestar jump drive another variant of the same Kearny-Fuchida drive used in Battletech, and for that matter by the Talorans themselves? Trying to conceal that particular technology might be pointless.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Borgholio wrote:So what DID happen with the BSG Colonial fleet in the Taloran universe? I think I missed that story...
The discovery of the Kobolian Colonial survivors' fleet was shown in "When Two Worlds Collide" by Marina.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

A further remark on the Kobolian issue....
I had forgotten how Marina ended things; the Colonies ended up a politically independent protectorate of the Taloran Empire, so their situation isn't quite as bad as I thought when I mentioned emigres. OTOH.... IIRC, they'll still have issues going to Taloran schools and universities due to religion and if they go to Earth ones, there's a possibility that Earth-based independence-minded people may have their own radicalizing effect. I also suspect Farzian missionaries will be thick on the ground in the Colonies and, depending on their individual qualities, decent folk or completely insufferable. Marina and I haven't talked much on how the Multiverse as a whole has effected Earth and the Humans of VS-6 save that the Talorans tend to be even more careful with the prickly Humans so as to avoid giving the HRE or the ADN a potent 5th Column. (At least IIRC - Marina can contradict).

Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

I would love to see a sketch of the Sheridan, The Dark Grey Star, and those fighters.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I would love to have the artistic acumen to draw them.

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Why yank it? Leave it up until you have the rewrite finished.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!