Demands of Honour (D&D)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Demands of Honour (D&D)

Post by Imperial Overlord »

The village of Laughing Moon clusters around the base of the Laughing Moon Inn. During The Breaking refugees had found the remains of a keep that had stood there and it became a sanctuary. The keep had been rebuilt and the main floor had become the gathering spot and refuge in time of trouble while houses and farmsteads had sprouted around it like mushrooms. The swordwain and his men had slept in the upper chambers before Eredar Mayvain had claimed the village and extended her protection.

It was a pleasant little place, not far from the borders, and often full of rumors and travellers. Five Vishanti wagons were parked near the inn. They had been hawking their wares throughout the evening, but now that night had fallen had turned into sleep or had entered the taproom. They were darker of skin and of hair than the locals, but wore brighter colours and more elaborate clothing. Relations were friendly. This band passed through Laughing Moon every other year and had done so for over a hundred years. They would stay for a couple of days and leave with fewer horses and fine goods, but heavier purses.

There had been music and dancing in the early part of the night, but now things were winding down. One by one the Vishanti left for their wagons until there were only two left at the tavern. Only one of the locals remained, a hard faced man named Merkin who had been arguing with his wife and was not going home this night. With them was Ivo the proprietor's husband and his daughter Lily.

The door swung open and all eyes turned towards it. A big man came through, dark haired, pale as a local, and wearing plate armour. He carried a shield slung over his back. Behind him were two women and another man.

One of the women was almost as tall and not much slimmer. She carried a long blade over her back and had her dark hair tied up in a braid. She wore a breastplate and steel bracers over battered leather. The second woman was shorter, darker, and bald. She wore mismatched pieces of cloth and leather stubbed with links of chain and pieces of jewelry. Her eyes were a vivid blue that could be seen clearly despite the darkness of the room.

The other man was slim, just shorter than the swordswoman, and pale with jaw length black hair. He wore an ankle length coat of rust-brown leather with gleaming bone buttons, black silk gloves, and a gold ring set large dark red gem on his right hand. He moved to the right, keeping his distance from the bald woman.

"Lily," said Ivo. "Run upstairs and tell the lictor that Master Stern and his party has arrived." The blond girl stopped wiping down a table and headed up the stairs. "Can I do anything for you?" Ivo asked.

"Anything hot?" asked Jarek Stern. He unslung his shield and put it on the closest table. It was painted blue, with a white dragon head.

"There's some stew I can heat up."

"Four bowls then. Bread and cheese. A flagon of beer and some mulled wine for Kaddis."

"Of course," Ivo replied. He hurried back into the kitchen. Footsteps on the stairs dragged the adventurers attentions upwards.

Arrekt Narzine was lictor by way of being some kind of nephew to Eredar Mayvain. The young noble was more athletic, better looking version of the man in the leather coat, dressed in black leathers and silks. He wore a gold badge with his quasi-aunt's great wolf crest. He flashed a totally insincere smile. "Stern, you got my sending."

"Yes," he replied, "and we came back here as fast we could. You said it was urgent." Well, that's what the magical bird had squawked out before it vanished in a puff of black smoke. "We nearly killed our horses getting back here. I expected to see houses burning."

The smile faded from the lictor's face. "You'll see that and worse if this isn't settled quickly," he said in a low voice.

"Bad?" asked Stern.

"Two tax collectors killed. And their guards."

"You don't need us for that."

"It gets better. They left a trail. It leads beyond the bounds. Pelador."

"The Raven Queen's icy cunt," swore the swordswoman. "There's no fucking way she's going to let this go and if she moves in force, it'll be a bloody war."

Ivo came out with a flagon of beer and three mugs. He put them down. "The stew and the wine will be just a minute."

"Certain people in Pelador will be very happy with a war," said Arrekt. "For about five days and then they'll have realized that they've gone and woken the sleeping dragon. Then their righteous crusade will drown in blood."

"Kaddis?" asked Stern as he poured himself a mug of beer.

"What?" replied the man in the leather coat.

"Can you whip something together to help track these guys?" Stern took a sip.

"Depends," the wizard replied. "Probably."

"I'll lend you my tracker," interjected Arrekt Narzine. "He's very good. And they weren't making any real effort to hide their trail."

"This could be more than we can handle," said Stern. "We don't know what's at the other end."

"Are you dickering Stern?"

"No," Jarek replied, "I'm saying there maybe a hundred guys inside a castle and there's nothing we'll be able to do about it."

"Then it'll be war. Because there is no way, a hundred guys in a castle or not, that the Eredar is going to let this go. And when she tears down those walls, good money says half of Pelador will rise immediately. Now I'm not on speaking terms with the Silent King-" the bald woman snickered at his joke,"-but his track record is pretty clear. You were born here Stern. You've travelled, seen the rest of the world. What do you think will happen?"

Ivo came back with a platter loaded with four bowls of stew a cup of steaming wine. He placed them in front of the adventurers and then headed back into the kitchen.

"Pelador will fold like a cheap tent," said the bald woman. "They aren't have as tough as they think they are. But they have more friends than you do and the Silent King scares everyone shitless. If they think he's getting grabby, maybe they decide that fighting now is better than fighting when he's on their doorstep."

"What Sharia said," said Stern. He began to devour the stew.

"Pay?" asked the swordswoman. Everyone looked at her. "What? We all know we get paid, especially for shit like this." She emptied her mug and slammed it down on the table.

"Jezaine, you will be well rewarded," said Arrekt, "my word on it and on this matter my word is the Eredar's word."

"That's good enough," said Stern. "Ivo, we need rooms. We'll start in the morning. The lictor is picking up our tab."
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Re: Demands of Honour (D&D)

Post by lordofchange13 »

Is another chapter in the making? or was this just a experiment?
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

There will be more.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

The mist was thick in the morning, as was common on the borders. The sun peaked out from behind the clouds, but was weak and watery. The adventurers lead their horses out of the stables and saddled up. Arrekt Narzine and two men at arms in black plate joined them. Sharia looked up into the sky. "Doesn't this country ever get any sun?"

"Not really," replied Stern.

"If you can see the sun then its a sunny day," added Kaddis.

"Why in the hells did I decide to come here then?" she grumbled.

"Because it was a place you weren't going to get burned at the stake, hung, beheaded, or take a bolt in the throat while resisting capture," Stern replied as he swung up onto his horse. "Do you need grumble some more or can we leave?"

They rode out of town and past the farmstead, following the main road over dew moistened meadow and shallow rolling hills dotted by trees. A dark, lush forest loomed ahead of them, seemingly untouched by the light of the sun. "They took them in the Hanging Wood?" asked Stern.

"Yes," replied Arrekt. "It's been safe enough since you cleaned out the ghoul pack in the spring. Wolves have sense enough not to attack men unless they're sick or starving and they were armed. We haven't had anymore bandits cross over, at least not since this bunch."

"So another bunch of fools making a deal with a headman's tree?" asked Jezaine. "Could we be that lucky?"

"We aren't that lucky," said Stern. "And we searched the woods pretty thoroughly for any others and didn't find one. A headman sapling might have the power to make a squirrel ill. Maybe."

It was only a little better than night once they entered the woods. Birds eyed them suspiciously from tall branches and small creatures scurried around in the underbrush. It didn't take them long to reach the site of the ambush. A dark eyed ranger in brown was sitting on a rock, a bow resting across his knees and a hood pulled up. The ground was churned up and five bodies lay on the ground, sprawled in death.

Stern dismounted and walked to the murder scene. He inclined his head to the ranger. "Wish we were meeting under better terms Eli."

"It is what it is," the other man replied. Stern nodded and bent down over the bodies. Kaddis was just behind him.

"Barely even smell," said Stern. "And they aren't bloated yet. How long did you say they had been dead?" he asked Arrekt.

"The rate of decay has been arrested," replied Kaddis. "It's a comparatively simple spell. I've heard of some people managing to use it after being taught it by rote."

"Not that hard," said Eli, "once you know it." Which meant, as Stern well knew, that it sure as hell wasn't that easy. Magic was everywhere, but none of it came easy and without cost. Some of the simple stuff was within the grasp of ordinary folk, but the rest had a steep cost. Well, most of it.

"Give me a hand with this Kaddis."

"Certainly."

"We have two men in plate harness," said Stern. "One at the edge of the fight. Open faced helm, broken nose. Shield bash probably. Stabbed through the fucking breastplate by something hot enough to partially melt the edges of the hole."

"Fuck fuck fuck," Jezaine cursed softly.

"Next is a man, maybe eighteen or nineteen. Sweet Bahamut, I recognize him. He was in the strength competition at the spring fair. The one that lifted that huge log, but couldn't hold it."

"Yes," said Kaddis. "I can't remember his name, but that I remember."

"Cudgel in his hand. Deep cut with scorch marks on it. Ran through the belly by something that charred the wound. That dropped him. Dagger thrust under the chin and into the brain as mercy afterwords."

"A flaming sword," said Kaddis, "or a solar blade."

"Yeah," said Stern. "Or a solar fucking blade. He was part of the blood tax, wasn't he?"

"Yes," said Arrekt.

"It happened fast. He tried to fight back, defend the others. And he got hacked down. He didn't stand a chance. If he had run, he might have lived. That's how you found out about this right? One of the tax payers made it into town and reported it."

"Most of them," replied Arrekt.

"And let's see. Another guard. Spiked warhammer or my mother is a goblin. So at least two attackers. Tax collectors. Nice cloak, before the mud and blood got over it. Axe or heavy blade, right through the leather surcoat. And a decapitation on the other. Scorched stump. At least three attackers, footprints well, are a mess.

"Four attackers," said Eli. "None of them light on their feet. Hid there and there," he said pointing.

"Heavy armour," said Stern, "so when the taxes bolted they couldn't catch them, not through a forest and a head start. It was over quick though. And I'm fairly sure I know what was on their shields. And so do you Arrekt. You knew when you hired us. Unconquered fucking Sun."

"I know what they said," said Arrekt, "but the sun shows up in the heraldry of some of Pelador's nobles. And shields can lie."

"Bullshit," said Stern. "You wanted us to commit, to see this before letting us know."

"Does it matter?"

"If you're honest with us? Yes, it matters," said Stern savagely. "Do you-"

"Jarek," said Kaddis. Stern half turned towards the wizard. "We knew this could have been the case when we took the job. It's not what we wanted, but it doesn't change the rest of the facts. It still needs to be done."

"Somehow," said Stern, "I don't think you're too broken up over this turn of events."

"I'm not, but you are my friend. We took the commission, the job hasn't changed. Will you stand with us?"

Stern hung his head. "Yes," he said softly.

"Good."

"What if I had said no?"

"We still have Sharia."

"Fucking right we still have Sharia," said Sharia, her eyes glowing blue-white.

"And Desolation," finished Kaddis.

Stern nodded. "Alright. The trail's fucking clear. I can follow it with no problem."

"On soft ground," said Eli.

"Yeah," said Stern. "On soft ground with one getting you ten that it will end up in one of three places."

"No one here is stupid enough to take that bet," said Jezaine. "Let's get this done."
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

A half dozen men in full harness left an easy to follow trail on soft ground and they did nothing to hide it. Even Sharia could follow the trail if she put her mind to it, which she didn't bother. Eli and Jezaine handled that. The adventurers followed it through the forest and by mid day reached the tall grass grass that lead to the scrub hills to the west. The sun had boiled off the mist, leaving the grass still damp with dew but granting the hunters an unobstructed view of Pelador.

"Raven Queen's bones," swore Sharia. "The fucking weather really does change at the fucking border. Overcast here, sunny there."

"You didn't notice-oh right," said Stern. "We crossed at night."

"Clear enough where they're going," said Kaddis.

"Which country, not which castle," said Eli. "Tracking will get harder there. Rockier ground, drier."

"We can manage without you," said Stern. "You've done your job."

"I'm coming," said Eli.

"Are you sure about this?" asked Stern. "Do you know, really know, what you're getting yourself into?"

"Do you think," asked Eli, "that I'm a mushroom? That I grew out of the ground with no family or friends? That those men, men I've known for years; two of which were kin, are nothing to me? Blood pays for blood paladin. I'll see this through."

"Alright," said Stern quietly. "You'll see it through."

The grass began to turn from vibrant green to a duller yellow as they climbed the hills. A spattering of rocks and bushes provided more cover and obstacles, but they pushed through. The trail could still be easily followed. The sun began to sink toward the horizon when they called a rest.

The Jezaine gathered some bush while Jarek dug a fire pit and lined it with rocks. Jezaine piled the brush in it. "It's too green," said Eli.

"No," said Sharia with a wicked grin, "it isn't."

"Restraint," said Jarek Stern in a warning tone.

"Oh I'll be restrained," said Sharia. Lightning flashed from the bald woman's fingertips and the wood ignited. "See?" Her teeth gleamed brightly in the firelight.

"Handy trick," said Eli.

"You ain't seen nothing yet handsome," she replied. Kaddis chuckled. She scowled at the necromancer. "Match me without your toy, bone boy."

Kaddis executed a brief bow. "You are the mistress of the storm. I yield to your might."

"Damn straight."

Things settled down and they started cooking the sausages. "They aren't headed toward Kardene Castle or Eastcrag."

"No," said Stern, "they aren't. They're headed towards the New Sun Monastery, on this side of the Rift."

"Hells," said Eli. "They built a monastery on this side of the Rift? When?"

"This year," said Eli. "Earth elementals built it in three days from the native rock. Don't let the name fool you. It's a walled keep manned by paladins and sworn men-at-arms. The garrison isn't big, but it doesn't need to be."

"How do you know about it and I don't?"

"Paladins talk to other paladins," said Stern as Jezaine stood up. "Although after this they probably won't." The warrior-woman unsheathed her sword and headed to the edge of camp. Twilight painted her in shadow.

"Practicing?" asked Eli.

"Raising power," replied Kaddis. "The School of Trilune hones body and mind to achieve martial perfection. Watch."

Jezaine's sword was four feet long of night-black metal, single-edged, slightly curved, and came to a very serviceable point. Nearly invisible runes ran the length of the blade. She began the killing dance, leaping with almost impossible grace and striking with inhuman speed. Light faded from around her, leaving her entirely obscured by the veil of night. Her movements were almost silent.

Eli was motionless, every sense striving to find her. Suddenly she was in front of him. "Like what you see ranger?"

"Yes," he replied, "but I thought you were a warrior, not a mage."

Jezaine smiled. "I'm no mage. A disciplined and driven mind can touch power and that power can be used for more than just spells. A warrior would be a fool to not to alloy flesh and steel with magic."

"As you say."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was noon the next day when they reached the New Sun Monastery. It was thick, three story keep perched on the top of a rocky hill. A twelve foot high wall of smooth, sand coloured stone surrounded it and the gate consisted of a iron reinforced double doors. A half dozen armoured men were on the battlements.

Kaddis looked at it dismissively. "They're out of their god's cursed minds if they think this will even slow down Mayvain."

"This place is consecrated to the Unconquered Sun," replied Stern. "No vampire is going to want to step foot in it. Or fly over it."

"I was thinking more along the lines of blasting the gate into kindling," replied Kaddis. "Running a siege engine up this hill is going to be a bitch, but the Eredar doesn't need to bother with that nonsense. They have no idea who they're picking a fight with."

"I know," said Stern. "Alright everyone, listen up. We're doing it my way. If that doesn't work we do it Sharia's way."

"Jarek," said Jezaine, "this isn't the time for paladin nonsense."

"No," said Stern, "this has to be the place for it. Otherwise it means nothing."

"Don't bother," said Kaddis. "There's nothing you can say that's going to change his mind. Even if this is going to totally fuck us over."

"If it doesn't work you've still got Desolation," said Stern. "And fewer scruples." He rode up toward the gate, entering easy arrow range.

"I am Jarek Stern, paladin of Bahumat!" he yelled out. "Who am I treating with?"

A tall man with a blond beard answered. He wore a blue tabbard marked with a golden sun over plate armour. "I am Elizas Graiz, Master of the New Sun Monastery. I have heard your name before Jarek Stern, but you come from a most unwholesome direction."

"I come on a matter of justice."

"I doubt that."

"Honest men are dead and the trail leads here. Do you deny it?"

"I deny that honest men serve a vampire."

"They served their liege-lord. Not everything that lies on the other side of death is evil."

"Not everything that lies on the other side of night shuns the touch of the Unconquered Sun."

"Are you planning to launch a crusade against bats?"

"Do not bandy words with me sir. State your piece and leave with your mercenary friends."

"Innocent men died. Justice demands an accounting. I challenge whoever is responsible for ordering that raid to single combat."

"A vampire's slave has no standing to challenge a paladin of Pelor."

"You've already thrown the gauntlet at the vampire," said Stern. "Are you going to back away now?"

A saturnine man next to Elizas spoke up. "I will face him. A false paladin should not be suffered."

"What say you Jarek Stern?" asked Elizas. Champion against champion?"

"Agreed," said Stern, "but out of bow shot of the walls."

"You dare question our honour?" growled Elizas.

"I'm not the man with the blood of peasant farmers on his hands."

"Very well," said Elizas. "Ready your soul for the next life."
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Stern walked back to his companions. "Hear that?"

"Not really," said Kaddis. "A few bits here and there. How badly did it go?"

"I was hoping that the head of the guy who ordered the raid might satisfy the Eredar and discourage any repeat attempts," said Stern as he swung up on his horse and began heading downhill. The rest of the adventurers followed him.

Kaddis scoffed. "You know better than that." He pointed at the monastery. "They don't understand us. They don't even try to understand us. They see only their fears and prejudices."

"Yes, you're right," said Stern. "Happy now?" Kaddis said nothing. "They half agreed. It won't be the leader, but a duel of champions. At the base of the hill. They're bringing twelve men."

"Outnumbering two to one?" sneered Kaddis. "This is working out even worse than your usual plans."

"Better than in front of the walls," replied Stern.

"Better we had burned them in the dark," Kaddis replied.

"The corpse fucker has a point," said Sharia. "Fuck this fair play bullshit. Lets bust out Desolation and waste them."

"I gave my word."

"Raven Queen's icy cunt!" shouted Sharia. "I cannot believe this shit!"

"Keep it cool," said Stern.

Lightning flashed in Sharia's eyes. "Cool? I'll give you cool lizard fucker! I'll ice you up to the fucking bones!"

"Focus Sharia," said Kaddis. "We've got enough problems without turning on each other."

"Fuck you corpse fucker," she snarled. There was a moment of silence as she subsided into a sulk. They reached the bottom of the hill.

"So you fight their champion," said Jezaine. "Half your paladin blessings don't work and the same for him. You cut each other to bloody pieces. And then what?"

"Yeah," said Stern, "I've been thinking about that. We're agents of vampiric evil in a land they're sworn to defend. Enemies of the Unconquered Sun. At least that's how they'll see it. They didn't promise to let us go at the end. And I don't see anyone lying down when they decide to muscle us around. Especially if their boy lost and they're pissed."

"Twelve fucking paladins," said Kaddis. "You really fucked us Stern."

"They're on their way," said Eli.

"Twelve to start," said Jezaine. "Reinforcements will get close enough to give us trouble in a hundred heartbeats."

"Thanks for reminding me," said Kaddis.

"Fortunately," said Stern, "I have a plan."

"Even with Desolation killing them all will be a tall order," said Kaddis.

"Killing them all is what I've been trying to avoid," said Stern.

"Tell them that," replied Jezaine. The paladins were descending two abreast, wearing shining plate and armed with long lances and a variety of melee weapons. Trailing them was a white bearded man in robes of white samite and cloth of gold who bore no weapons.

"Solar blade on the tall one in front," said Kaddis.

"That's their champion," replied Stern.

"Good choice. He'll carve through your armour like butter and set your flesh alight."

"Thanks for the imagery."

"You're welcome. He's probably the second most dangerous guy in the group."

"The old man?"

"Yeah."

"Eli," said Stern. "If things go bad, kill the old man first."

"Fuck," said Eli, "he's probably the only man I can kill. You ever tried to shoot an arrow through plate armour?"

"No, but I've bounced enough shafts off my harness to know it's hard."

"Fuck you," said Eli. The adventurers dismounted and Kaddis pulled out a six foot long staff of carved bone from a sheath on his saddle. Faint markings ran the length of the staff and a hole was drilled through the head. A loop of silver wire was threaded through the hole and a polished bloodstone hung from the wire.

"You're fighting guy with the lion and sunburst on his shield?" asked Jezaine.

"That's their man," replied Stern.

"That's Herric the Unbroken."

"That's Herric the Unbroken? Are you sure?"

"Ask me that again," replied Jezaine.

"Forget it. I apologize. What in the name of all of Baator's hells is he doing here?"

"You mean what is the toughest paladin of Pelor still breathing doing in the spot where his superiors are about to try and ignite a new war?"

"Point."

"What's going on?" asked Eli. "Who is Herric the Unbroken? Besides trouble."

"One of Jezaine's hobbies is knowing the scariest bastards who ever picked up a blade," replied Stern. "And how good they are as opposed to how good the bards say they are. Which can be more than a little tricky. Herric the Unbroken has quite the name."

"He'll butcher you like a hog," said Jezaine. "You're good Stern, but you're not as good as me and there's no way you'll last against him. Your best trick is not bleeding out after being stabbed a dozen times and he's got a solar blade. He'll win that race easily. And well, he's much better with a blade than you are."

"Thanks."

"Anytime. And no, there's no way I'm fighting him. This is your fuck up."

"I wasn't going to ask."

"Really?"

"I know better."

The column of Pelorites halted and formed a line facing the adventurers. "Jarek Stern," said Elizas Graiz. "Your challenge has been accepted. As agreed the fight between you and our champion will occur at the base of the hill, out of bow shot of the walls. We have brought the dozen witnesses we agreed to."

"Good," said Stern. "Herric the Unbroken is your champion?"

"I am," said the tall man. "I suggest prayer. I would not you to meet your god unshriven."

"I serve Bahamut," said Stern. "He places value on actions, not prayers."

Herric inclined his head. "As you will. Are you ready?"

"Yes," said Stern, "but you won't be fighting me. Champion against champion?"

"The corpse monger has no standing in this fight. The obscenity he wields will not save you."

"I didn't mean him. Sharia."

The bald woman smiled. "Big, handsome, and brave. Also dumb as a rock and wearing a lot of metal." Thunder boomed with her laughter and lightning flashed in her eyes. "Just like I like them."
MondoMage
Padawan Learner

Post by MondoMage »

Nice to see a well-rounded and, for lack of a better word, realistic take on a Paladin. More often than not they come across as barely-fleshed out caricatures... kind of how the New Sun leader was sounding. "They serve a bad person, so they had to die. Doesn't matter that they didn't have much choice in the matter. They bad, me good, they die."

I am thoroughly enjoying this. Can't wait for the next installment.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

I have never played much D&D, but your story is pretty entertaining.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

There was a moment of absolute silence. "Brother Harric,-" Eliza Graiz began.

"I have faced witches before," said Herric calmly. "I am protected by the Unconquered Sun." He drew his sword. The hilt was gold and the blade itself blazed almost too bright watch, three feet of steel burning with fires of the Unconquered Sun. He saluted Sharia with his sword. "Make your peace with whatever you hold dear."

"Fuck peace in her ass," she said. Her eyes glowed blue-white. "Fuck you and all your fucking kind. I'm going to burn you to a crisp and suck the marrow out of your fucking bones."

"As you wish." Herric charged, shield raised to ward off any attack. Sharia clapped her hands together and thunder roared. The blast knocked the paladin off of his feet and hard against the rocky earth. Sharia giggled and the air around her crackled with dancing sparks.

Herric leapt back onto his feet, seemingly unencumbered by his plate armour. Lightning flashed from Sharia's hands, blue-white bolts as intense as the solar blade hammered Herric's shield. The front of the shield was blasted black and Herric was hammered to his knees. The paladin snarled and sprung forward.

Beams of blue-white light flashed from Sharia's hands and blew Herric's shield to flinders in a shower of golden sparks. The paladin swayed, but did not fall. "Hurry up and fucking die!" she screamed.

"No," he growled. He took a step. And then another. He raised his solar blade.

Wind ruffled Sharia's clothes and thrust her up into the air. Hovering a dozen yards above the paladin, she laughed.

"Coward," Herric hissed.

"Told you I would burn your corpse," she said. Lightning snaked around her body. "Your eyeballs are going to fucking explode I'm going to cook you so bad." Her eyes blazed like stars.

Harric raised his left hand and a spear of solar fire materialized in his grasp. Lightning came down, but not on Harric. Gold light splintered off the old man, saving him from the worst but the strike still knocked him prone. The shock wave blasted the paladins around him to his knees.

Kaddis pointed Desolation at the old man and a skull of orange fire shot from the tip of the staff. The flaming skull left a trail of black smoke as it streaked through the air and then detonated in a conflagration of orange and black fire. Eli was knocking an arrow as Jezaine shot forward, a dark blur almost too fast to follow.

Harric had been buffeted by the blast wave, but not stunned. He instantly grasped that duel had become a free for all and switched stance as he saw Jezaine rush him. The solar blade was raised to parry while he lifted the sunlance to strike.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Time seemed to slow down to a crawl for Jarek Stern. His friends had come to a decision on their own, he realized. Well, they had warned him that if they didn't feel his way was working they would go their own. It was too late to stop it. The only thing that remained was choosing a side. His fellow paladins were across from him, fighting back after being treacherously attacked during an honourable duel.

He drew his blade, thirty-five inches of steel just as black as Jezaine's. They were both scions of the same smith, forged in a blaze of wraithfire kindled from human bones by Ederak the Unrelenting. Vigil was its name. Silver flame coursed down the blade as the sword cleared the sheath. Stern lunged forward.

Ahead of him, Jezaine dance-dodged out of the path of the sunspear and swept her sword down. Herric's superlative reflexes had been slowed by the hammering he had taken. His sword hand flew loose, trailing blood over the parched dirt. Herric didn't flinch or cry out. Instead he pivoted to run Jezaine through with his sunspear.

Stern's strength was that of a dragon, not a man. When he charged ground fell away in an instant. Blood showered him as he rammed Vigil through Herric's gorget and out the back. Herric's knees folded and he fell first into a puddle of his own gore.

Stern tore Vigil free. Jezaine was already dancing into the mass of paladins, a flickering whirlwind of shadow and steel. Lightning forked from Sharia's hands, slamming two smoking paladins to their knees. Black fire spewed from Desolation, rolling over the two stunned warriors of Pelor while ribbons of darkness shot from Kaddis's other hands and struck at the gaps in the others' armour. Bright red blood flowed from the wounds as the robed man took an arrow in the right lung from Eli and then another in the left shoulder.

Thunder hammered the paladins, staggering Jarek and deafening him as it smashed the others to the ground. He caught a glimpse of Jezaine dancing in his peripheral vision, a stutter-step of violent death. A head bounced on the ground next to a gushing torso, silver gleaming armour now splattered red. He shook his head and tried to clear the ringing out of his ears.

A noose of steel was closing on Jezaine. They were staggering around like punch drunk boxers, but that wouldn't last. Two more were heading for for Eli and Kaddis and Elizas Graiz, solar blade in hand, was coming straight at Jarek. "Die oathbreaker!" Graiz shouted as he swung.

Jarek fought down the impulse to refute the accusation as he caught the blow on his shield. The oak had been harvested in the dead of night and bathed in the waters of a moonwell before being covered with the hide of a ritually slaughtered bull and consecrated. It had withstood a blow from an ogre's hammer without cracking. The blazing sword cut through the dwarven steel rim and cut a charred gouge two inches deep into the wood. The next blow carved a burning scar diagonally across the shield.

Jarek thrust high at the paladin of Pelor's face. Elizas parried and silver met gold in a blaze of incandescence. Muscles enhanced by the dragon king surged against the power granted by the Unconquered Sun. For a moment neither man could overcome the other. Then a thousand screams split the world.

The howl drowned out everything and the noise was the least of it. It was the outrage of the angry dead and they slept lightly in the Shoals. Kaddis's spell, enhanced by Desolation, brought forth the fury of an enraged legion through barriers that were already curtain thin. The targets of their wrath had their blood on their hands and the blood of their kin. For a moment the restless dead had been given voice and with that voice was power.

The servants of the Unconquered Sun who still stood fell to their knees. Blood poured from their ears and eyes. They folded over, twitching and quivering. Jarek exhaled loudly and looked around. All the paladins were down. "Kaddis?" he asked.

"They'll be up soon enough," said the necromancer. It was hard to hear him through the ringing in his ears. "Ordinary mortals would be done for the day, but they bear the blessing of the mighty and just Unconquered Sun." He voice dripped with sarcasm. Next to him Eli was slumped in the dirt. Jarek felt his heart sink.

He rushed toward the fallen ranger and saw the wound. A three inch wide hole had been burned through his upper chest, going right through the spine. A paladin had thrown a sunspear and the cast had been true. The wound was mortal and there were limits to Stern's healing gifts. "Kaddis?"

"There's nothing I can do and we don't have time," said the necromancer pointing. Jarek heard it as he turned. The thunder of hooves. A score of paladins were charging down from monastery.

Jarek raised his sword to the sky. "Bahumat, thank you for the grace you have shown me. Thank you for the strength you have lent me. Help me find and hold the Righteous Path. Let justice prevail, even if that means my life and those of my friends are forfeit."