Of Gods and Folk

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Aleria
Redshirt

Of Gods and Folk

Post by Aleria »

Chapter 1 – Of Ultimatums and Umbra [The Magelord of Masada]

“No.”

The ambassador from Elth frowned. His silken green robes shifted as he withdrew a small emerald from a belt pocket. The small stone crumbled into dust as he rubbed it between two fingers. He replied calmly, “Lady Elaine, let us be honest with one and other. Your great city cannot stand against the legions of Lokesh al-Shareef. My Master can protect you from the lunatic who believes he is Lokesh reborn. His request is quite...”

“What part of 'No', was unclear? Do you fuck your wives after they tell you No, Ambassador? Or do my spies lie to me about the habits of your Master and his court?”

The ambassador's face twisted in a fleeting expression of rage before he could bring his expression back under control. The frowning ambassador replied, “Lady Elaine, it is a woman's duty to her husband to bear his children. Please, do not make this any harder than it needs to be. My Master has been quite clear that he would be satisfied with merely consummating the marriage on a monthly basis. You would be his third wife and he already has two strong sons. More would merely complicate the succession. You would be free to use the powers you possess to prevent pregnancy and take whomever you wish between my Master's visits to your bed. In return for submitting to my Master's authority, you would receive the military force your nation so requires. He possesses over a hundred familiars and ten thousand men under arms. He has allies. What do you have? Friends in the Free States an Ocean away? Perhaps a thousand warriors? Masada was protected because of your father's reputation as a man of peace, not because of its armsmen, Lady. A woman in your position is an affront to Lokesh's beliefs. He will come for you. Soon.”

“An alliance does not require a marriage, mister ambassador. Inform your Master that he needs to stop thinking with his penis and start accepting the fundamental realities of our situation. Separated, neither of us can stand against Lokesh. This audience is at...”

The crack of thunder could be heard in the distance, followed by the pitter-patter of rain drops.

“...an end. Please see yourself out, mister ambassador.”

The ambassador's face turned red as he snarled, “You bring destruction to your House, Lady Elaine.”

The ambassador stormed out of the private audience chamber, although with the door open it was hardly private. The door closed of its own accord as Lady Elaine Masada, Magelord of Masada, sighed. Oddly, the shadow the door cast when it was open remained.

“Old monster, why do I bother to speak with these...people.”

A smooth baritone replied from the strange shadow, “For the same reason I remain in the shadows, Mistress. I do feel obligated to remind you that the Ambassador from Elth is correct that we cannot stand against Sheol's pawn without aid. I cannot simply kill a fanatic and dissolve this coming conflict. Another will simply take Al-Shareef's place. They will not see such supposedly natural deaths as 'divine will' in opposition to their activities, merely the work of 'the devil' or the truth.”

“Yes, Umbra. You are but a shadow and can only act as a shadow does. What of the Free States?”

“Little. A battalion of Wist mercenaries and a willingness to run any blockade.”

Elaine snorted. “Al-Shareef has no Navy worthy of the name.”

“Indeed, Mistress. However, he does still have converted merchant vessels that might raid our shipping nevertheless. Wist has promised as many mercenaries as we can afford. Of course, their bankers say our credit is good...”

“But the interest rates will be exorbitant.”

“True. But we can still afford a couple of battalions without incurring a debt to them. Unfortunately, I am not certain we can...”

“Yes. No matter where I look the answer is 'more' and 'I have to whore...'”

“I did not say that. I am merely pointing out the cost of our options. In a defensive war, with three battalions of mercenaries and our own forces, we might be able to beat him.”

A hand of black leathery flesh slipped out from the unnatural shadow, to forestall further interjection. Umbra continued, “I know. We might get lucky and Wist is near enough we might be able to hire what we need for a short time only, to minimize the debt incurred. The walls of the City are strong and our artificers are capable. I suspect Al-Shareef is yet unaware we have continued that particular 'heretical' practice under the nose of so many of the Faithful.”

“All three of them. All of whom are pacifists. You do remember these little details, old monster, I trust?”

“They may not call down lightning from the heavens, my lady. However, the medical advantages they provide are massive. Most of the deaths in war are caused by infections and disease, lady. In a long siege, Al-Shareef would lose thousands of his soldiers to infection and disease.”

“You are the expert.”

“Thank you, Lady. An agent of Al-Shareef was caught this morning, by the way. He was preaching your downfall followed by you becoming Al-Shareef's sex slave. I think I will castrate him. Perhaps a hot metal rod shoved in his ass or the rack. Do you have any preference? I can make him scream for hours if you would like to ...”

“No, old monster. Keep him imprisoned but without torture.”

“You dare deny me my little pleasures, Lady? Even your father did not ...”

“I am not my father, old monster. When war comes, you will be let loose. I see no value in hurting a fool.”

“I trust you realize...”

“Enough. I know the terms of your service, monster. I have tried to treat you as a person in the hopes you would not insist on them.”
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Of Gods and Folk

Post by LadyTevar »

You've peeked my interest, and I would like to see where you go with it :)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Aleria
Redshirt

Post by Aleria »

Thank you...although the next chapter is probably going to introduce the other main character I think. That, and we have to get the 'gods' in somewhere. Heh.
Aleria
Redshirt

Post by Aleria »

Chapter 2 – Of Games and Gods [The 'Chosen' One]

“Wow. I would have thought Hell came with different décor.”

“Hmmm? I suppose. I prefer working in an empty brown room. It simplifies things greatly when one can alter reality with a thought. Anyway, please don't...”

“Why can't see my hands?”

“That. Too late I suppose. You are lacking a body, a fact I will remedy soon. There is little need of flesh for the....”

“I want my...”

“Hush. Creating a body for you is a pointless exercise. It would be destroyed again at the end of the conversation.”

“Where are you?”

“Oh, noticed that have you? This is a between place, human. There is no need of a body for me. Merely an empty chamber is sufficient to keep your perception focused on talking to me instead of all of the souls passing through through this place. Now...”
“Fuck, I'm really dead. I wouldn't dream two disembodied voices tal...”

“Stop. Interrupting. It is rude. Now, would you like a chance to be alive again?”

“What is the catch?”

“You will be sent into a situation where about half of the people die again within a year. The rest usually manage to survive a second life in the mortal coil. You were a programmer, right?”

“Ya. So, uh, you just will make me a baby and drop me off somewhere in the US then? Can I pick whom?”

“No and No. This may burn a bit. Your software development knowledge will be useless where you are going. Now, hermaphrodite, male or female?”

“Male. Why me?”

“Why not? You have a thought process consistent with our needs, a morality consistent with our goals, and a history of success with a skill similar to what we need you to do. Now, age? We'd prefer around 18 but I can probably tolerate putting you as high as 22. We will want a few decades out of you before you end up here again.”

“I don't think I want to be a teenager again. So it is an answer for an answer, then?”

“Yes. The biological clock of your new body will be set for twenty then. Since you were male before, I'll try to give you something similar to what you used to have. However, the eye problems will need to go. They have not been invented yet where you are going. Any eye or hair color preferences?”

“Brown for both. I liked myself before. Where the fuck are you sending me? Some third world shit hole?”

“Aleria. Now, any particular preferences on what memories I replace?”

“I've never heard of that. Umm, can you take away the memories of my shittiest breakups first? Maybe that time summer I spent in hotel rooms too?”

“Done and done. I'll try to keep the modifications to a minimum. Unfortunately, the rules specifically state applicable technological knowledge in excess of the local standards is to be removed. I'll be replacing it with some things you might find useful. Hmmm. Height? Weight?”
“As before. Like I said, I was fine with it. We've had this conversation before.”

“That sounded like a statement but since you should not be certain of it, I'll answer it. Yes. This is the seventeenth time. The first sixteen times you tried to escape the brown room or 'lost your shit'. Thankfully, souls remember things differently than people so repeating this until you were rational about it is a viable option. Penis size?”

“Seriously? Any shape or size I want?”

“Yes. It seems to be a part of the anatomy males concern themselves with greatly.”

“Same as before. Why do people usually die in the first year?”

“Done. Your starting situation is a test. If you succeed, you live. If you fail, you probably will die in the war. I have what I need but I will answer your questions while I finish with your mind.”

“What war?”

“The polity you will be placed in is about to be invaded. A month, at most two, and a follower of the Lords of Sheol will invade. The skill set I am giving you is heretical in the eyes of Sheol's followers. They will likely burn you at the stake, if given the choice. Be aware, the 'Faithful' are mere followers of Sheol while being ignorant of what that truly means. Their souls are devoured when they die. So if you were hoping to convert...do not. No matter how much they torture you and offer to stop if you convert, do not.”

“And what happens when I die a second time? I end up back here?”

“You are aware of us now. You will either fall to faith in Sheol before being executed or you will remain with us. If with us, you will be reincarnated until you have achieved Enlightenment. This place is the land of the damned, unclaimed souls. It is only here do the rules permit us to choose our champions for a conflict on the mortal plane.”

“So these Sheol people have picked someone and he is the one invading then?”

“No. That is a test. If you cannot beat an ignorant mortal, Sheol's champion will beat you. We would not waste our chance at reclaiming the world of Aleria from Sheol on an untested sword.”

“Why do you need any of this anyway? You seem to have powers usually associated with gods. Why bother?”

“You are familiar with the 'Cold War' between NATO and the USSR. Imagine it on the scale of the entire Multiverse. Mutually assured destruction keeps both sides honest, in the sense both sides will play by the generally accepted rules. Unfortunately, both our MAD offense and defense is dependent on a steady supply of the appropriate form of power. The Lords of Sheol consume souls and store that power. We engage in the sustainable farming of souls, devouring some of the soul's energy but leaving the core person intact. Unfortunately, their method is significantly more efficient. And the sad fact is, we are losing. Their complete lack of ethics has allowed them to gather enough power to nearly eclipse us completely. If that happens, they can destroy us with 'acceptable losses' amongst their kind. So, we fight over disputed worlds using mortal champions. The hope is, we can gain enough in the contested regions of the Multiverse to maintain the balance of power.”

“Wow.”

“I'm done. Your mind will be raw for a bit as things settle but after a good night's sleep on the other side...you should be in working order. Bye.”
CypherLH
Redshirt

Post by CypherLH »

Interesting. As good an explanation for a "war of the gods" as I have ever seen.
Aleria
Redshirt

Post by Aleria »

Thanks. ^^ It is the only one I could come up with that seemed to make sense without re-using someone else's idea.
CypherLH
Redshirt

Post by CypherLH »

Makes me wonder what you mean by "consume souls". The souls are just extinguished or go to some kind of hell and the power is derived from their torment?
Aleria
Redshirt

Post by Aleria »

I honestly haven't made a firm decision but I was leaning towards torturing the souls by ripping them apart bit by bit until they died (so Hell).