The Merging (Star Trek, Star Wars crossover) last chapter up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Star Empire
Padawan Learner

The Merging (Star Trek, Star Wars crossover) last chapter up

Post by Star Empire »

This is an updated version of my first fanfiction story. I started it years ago, and looking back, I've learned a lot about writing since then. I'd like to see what I can make of it now and if maybe I can complete the whole series. This should hopefully be the first story in a six part series. I would like to thank X-Over for proofreading the original copy of this story for me. His input was extremely helpful and motivating.
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away and in our own galaxy in the 24th century...

Star Trek and Star Wars

Episode I

The Merging

It's a dark time for the Republic. Led by Count Dooku, the Separatists are gaining ground. Thousands of worlds are making preparations to leave the millennia old institution. On Geonosis, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, and Senator Padme Amidala have been captured. A large group of Jedi are now preparing to leave Coruscant to rescue their companions.

In the Milky Way, the United Federation of Planets and the Klingon Empire are deep in a war for their very survival. The Dominion outnumbers them in the Alpha Quadrant and thousands of reinforcements sit on the other side of the Bajoran Wormhole. The Federation's only defense against this new, unstoppable fleet are a few thousand mines.

Intelligence suggesting the Dominion has found a way to deactivate the mines has forced the Federation to attempt a risky recapture of their former wormhole base, Deep Space 9. Together with the Klingons, the Federation is winning this critical battle, and the U.S.S. Defiant has slipped through enemy lines, but the Dominion is almost ready to destroy the mines…

---

Chapter 1: The Last Days

A sovereign class ship drifted in orbit of a planet. The ship carried the name Enterprise, a name reserved for ships which were expected to perform remarkable deeds. It was also a symbol of the new Starfleet. While elegant and filled with scientific marvels, it was designed to be a highly effective warship as well. Despite its name and its advanced design, it sat in Romulan space while the battle to determine the Federation's future was taking place half a quadrant away.

Captain Picard could barely stand to look at the viewscreen, but he couldn't look away either. He was watching the fate of the Federation unfold in front of him. The viewscreen showed thousands of blue dotted Federation ships, red dotted Klingon warships, and purple dotted Dominion forces.

Data spoke, “Captain, while the Dominion lines are holding a single starship appears have broken through and is heading away from the battle to Deep Space 9.”

Riker asked, “Which ship?”

“The Defiant sir.”

“It won't be a match for the station alone,” said Riker. “Anyone else?”

“Not at the moment,” said Data. “The Dominion lines are shrinking, but they are managing to prevent additional ships from breaking through.”

“I wish the Klingons had managed to get a part of their fleet cloaked through the lines,” said Riker.

Picard nodded. “It's not like the Klingons to avoid an engagement though even if they can. They'll break through soon enough.” Picard heard a shout behind him. He turned around.

“They better hurry,” said Riker.

Picard didn't see anything usual, but he started to hear a whole chorus of shouts.

“At this rate,” started Data, but Picard didn't hear the end of the sentence.

The bridge of the Enterprise was gone. In its place was a mid-21 century court room. From all corners of the room, the audience shouted at him. "Q!" shouted Picard.

Q appeared directly in front of Picard, floating down in judge clothes and in a judge chair. "Mom Captain, welcome back."

"Q!” started Picard, “Why am I in this courtroom again? Twice, I have been forced here, and have proven that humanity has evolved beyond its savage past."

"How many times must I tell you, Jean-Luc? The trial has never ended. The question of how far humanity has evolved has never satisfactorily been answered."

It had been years since Picard had last seen Q, and he had thought he was done with him. This time Q would be answering questions too Picard decided. "Another test? Q, what has humanity ever done to deserve such special attention? You have said the Q worry about how far humanity may advance, but I find it hard to believe that there aren't others who should concern the Continuum just as much. Why so much attention on us?"

Q shouted, "He finally asks a good question!"

The crowd laughed loudly, and Q had to hold his had up to quiet them, and then spoke in a much quieter tone. "Why do think I don't, Jean-Luc? I must do something with my time between visits with you, you know."

Speaking to the entire crowd again, Q said, "How do you know I haven't had trials for ten thousand races since we last met here?" The crowd laughed uncontrollably.

Picard spoke somberly. The thought of Q or the Continuum doing that to so many troubled him greatly, but he didn't believe it. "I don't know, Q." His voice became firmer. "But, I do know you've always seemed to have a special interest in humanity. I know there are many other races we've encountered with similar drives and desires, and I don't think you care to put a single one of them on trial."

Q floated right up to Picard's ear and then whispered, "You're right. Humanity is one of the few races ever to have been on trial by the Q."

"Why?" asked Picard.

"Can't you just pretend to use your mind? You didn't even try to think of a reason." There was fresh round of laughter from the audience.

"How am I supposed to know the reason you keep putting us on trial?"

Q looked at Picard like a parent losing patience with a child and said, "You're not, but you could at least attempt to use that device you call a brain before asking me to connect all the dots for you."

"OK, then why?"

Q suddenly became very serious. The crowd quieted. "Jean-Luc, I discovered a plan just before our first meeting. A group, a powerful group, has hatched a very dangerous plan. The reward if such a plan is successful would be wondrous for your entire universe. On the other hand, failure would be," Q paused a moment and then said, "disastrous."

"What does that have to do with humanity?" asked Picard.

"I found out that individuals from both branches of humanity are important to their plans."

"Both branches of humanity?"

"That's not important now. The point is humanity is instrumental to the success of their plan. If human nature at its very core what you claim it is, then the plan will be successful, if it’s lacking, the whole universe will pay the price."

Understanding started to feel Picard, answering questions he’d felt had never been answered about Q before. "So you wanted to see if humanity was up to the challenge. Why me? Why the Enterprise? Are any members of my crew important to their plans? Am I?"

Q raised his voice again, "He asks if he is important." Laughter resumed. "No Jean-Luc; as far as I can tell, you are not part of their plans. You were merely whom we used to test humanity.”

"Who is this group? What is their plan?”

"Their plan is 'the Merging.' What that means matters little right now.”

"Dammit Q. For once please just give a straight answer. Why did you bring me here if you don't plan on telling me anything about them?”

"To give you a choice.”

“A choice?” repeated Picard.

“Yes Jean-Luc. The Continuum can stop this group. If we act now, we can prevent this 'Merging' from occurring.”

“How am I supposed to decide to stop it, when I know nothing about it?”

“You know enough. You know it can end in disaster or great success and that humanity is key. If humanity is worthy of being found not-guilty in this trial than you will succeed. If it's not, then the entire universe will pay the price.”

“It is not my place to decide this for the entire universe,” stated Picard firmly.

“Yet the decision is yours,” said Q. “You were accused in this courtroom of being a barbarous child race. We can end the trial today. If you plead guilty, the punishment will be light. We will do nothing besides stop the Prophets from following through with their plan.”

“The Prophets?” said Picard, trying to think where he heard that name.

“Never mind that,” said Q. “Do you plead guilty?”

Picard didn't like the spot he was in, but he was not going to be forced into a guilty plea. He shook his head. "Absolutely not."

Q shouted to the laughter of the courtroom, "Then the trial continues!"

"Wait!" said Picard.

"Do you wish to change your plea?"

"No, but…"

"Then there is nothing else to say, Mon Captain. The Q will remain neutral. The universe's fate will rest on humanity.”

“Q, this is not what I decided.”

“I'm afraid it is Jean-Luc. Now I'll let you get back to watching your little battle. The mines are about to be destroyed."

"Destroyed. Q, wait!…" But he was gone.

Picard was back on the bridge of the Enterprise.

Data continued, “…the fleet should break through within the next 10 minutes.”

Picard heard Data, but the words of Q still rang in his mind. The mines were about to be destroyed… Picard feared the Federation might be entering its last days.

----

A long way from Picard and the future regional conflict in the Milky Way, the planet of Geonosis orbited its star same as it had for millions of years. In most respects, nothing had changed. The planet was still a desert planet with minimal life. Its days and years were still about the same length they'd been for all of recorded history. To the intelligent life on the planet though, the planet's status had changed completely. It was now the capital of a movement to break away from the Republic.

Anakin Skywalker, Jedi Knight and defender of that Republic, sat in a cell. Even for a Jedi, it was impenetrable. His companion in the cell was Padme Amidala. The two had sat in the cell for an hour, knowing their fate was unlikely to be good. They were scheduled to be executed before the day was over.

Padme had kept up a brave front. She was a natural leader and had really taken charge since the two had been captured. Her courage and her determination in the face of overwhelming obstacles was one of the things Anakin loved about her. All the same, he could feel her fear. If she had been a Jedi, she would have felt his too.

Sentenced to die or not though, Anakin was not about to waste time with the girl he loved. He asked a question he had been wondering about for awhile, “Why exactly were you called a queen?”

“A long tradition,” said Padme. “Until about a thousand years ago, the titles were passed from parent to child. They still shared power with the legislature, but it was a true constitutional monarchy. After a civil war they were forced to give up the power. People were still used to the idea of a king or queen though so we started electing them.”

“Why the young age?” asked Anakin. Padme had seemed old to him when he had first encountered her, but 10 years later she was almost the youngest one in the Senate.

“The legislature wanted to make sure no king or queen took too much power. They figured no one that young would be much of a threat.”

Anakin smirked. “They weren't counting on you then.”

Padme gave Anakin a look. “What's that supposed to mean?”

Anakin grinned, “Just that there are some young girls who might give the politicians a run for their money.”

Padme shook her head.

"When did you decide to run for queen?" asked Anakin.

Padme smiled remembering better times. "I was discussing politics with a few of my friends in the legislative youth program - arguing with them to be more precise. It was silly really. We were arguing about whether or not the terms of the king/queen should be extended, or kept the same. I thought they should be kept as they were, but the other four all thought they should be longer. By the end, I had all but one convinced. He said with persuasion skills like that, I should run for queen. That was the first time I ever considered it, but couldn't get it out of my head afterward. I thought I could do more good for Naboo and the Republic than anyone else I saw running. So, I entered the race."

A new voice echoed behind them. "It is sad that the same Republic you wished to serve turned a blind eye on you when the Trade Federation attacked."

Anakin quickly responded, "It's too bad you now work for them, Dooku."

"I'd say it's more like we have a short term common goal. We both wish to end the Republic as we know it." If they only knew how badly he wanted to be rid of those aliens. “I did not support their actions on Naboo.”

"Neither the Jedi, nor the chancellor will sit back while you try to dismantle the Republic, Dooku." replied Anakin.

"Of course, they won't,” said Dooku. “It's too late though. They don't have the armies to oppose us, and it will take too long to recruit and train them."

Anakin was very defiant. "The people will not sit back while you try to do this." Padme looked more worried.

"Come now young Skywalker and use your brain, not your emotions. All the people will see is planet after planet fall. It will take time for the Republic to build up to a level even cable of defending against us. Without a major victory, with an offer to return all loyal Republic members, and a chance to stop a war that is costing the lives of billions, do you really think the majority will continue to support the war? Even your friend Palpatine won't be strong enough to resist the pressure. He will have to meet our demands or be replaced."

“So is that your plan Dooku?" said Anakin.

Dooku scowled at the Jedi. Anakin still wasn't showing the proper respect. What was the Jedi Order allowing these days?

"Maybe,” he replied noncommittally. “Or maybe, I have a far more rewarding plan worked out." Dooku thought of revealing Palpatine's promises to the doomed Jedi, but decided against it. He thought about how ironic it was that he knew so much more about the Republic, its forces, and its leader than this Jedi and this powerful senator. "You can decide that for yourself, but unless you have a highly trained 10 billion man army hiding somewhere, I think the Republic is entering its last days."

Padme shivered. She had spent her life in politics and she was far from sure he was wrong.

Anakin was more confrontational, "You forget Dooku. All we have to do is destroy you and your master.”

"How naive," said Dooku, but before he could say anymore, he felt his communicator vibrate. That was Sidious which was unexpected. Why would his master be contacting him now? "I afraid I most go. Enjoy your last day and know the Republic as you know it has few left.”

Dooku left.

Anakin looked to Padme. “We will win this. The Jedi will not be defeated.”

Padme looked back at him. She loved how Anakin was always so confident. He made the impossible seem possible. She still worried about Dooku's words; they seemed quite plausible. With Anakin here beside her though, she held out just a little hope that the impossible might just be possible and that the Republic might not quite be in its last days.
Last edited by Star Empire on 2012-02-03 09:52pm, edited 12 times in total.
Star Empire
Padawan Learner

Re: The Merging (Star Trek, Star Wars crossover)

Post by Star Empire »

Chapter 2: The Merging

There are a couple of words that can accurately describe space: empty, cold, and of course, vast. The distance between stars within galaxies made even the largest supergiants seem tiny by comparison. Despite this fact though, it is possible for life to travel between these seemingly infinite distances in even their short life times. The energy and knowledge necessary for a species to achieve this ability is extraordinarily high. Few civilizations make it to this level without being amazed at their own accomplishments. Afterward though, once faster than light is no longer new, even those speeds can start to seem too slow. On board the USS Defiant, rather than focusing on how fast the ship was now going, the crew was focusing on how slow maximum warp was.

Dax looked at the time. "Ben, if I were you I would start coming up with a Plan B."

“ETA?” asked Sisko.

“Two minutes,” replied Dax.

Sisko nodded. “Commander, be prepared to ram the station.”

Dax looked at him and then nodded. “Yes sir.”

Sisko addressed whole the bridge. “We aren't a match for Deep Space 9, not alone. The Federation is counting on us slowing the Dominion down though. Hopefully we can count on some help from those on the station who still remember us well. In the meantime, we have to do everything we can to slow the Dominion down until the fleet arrives. Is that understood?”

Everyone acknowledged that it was. They all knew the stakes and they all knew time was of the
essence.

“We are coming out of warp in 10 seconds Captain,” said Dax.

The viewscreen's look changed as the Defiant came out of warp. There was the station looking the same as when they left it. Something was different though.

Behind the station, thousands of explosions were going off. After a few moments, the light from the explosions stopped. The mines were gone. They were too late.

Dax said, "What do we do now captain?"

Sisko was not one to sit back accept the inevitable. If the Federation was about to die, they would go down fighting to save it or maybe….well either way this would be the end. "Take us into the wormhole."

O'Brien, more than a little shocked, said, "What the hell, we're just going to meet a couple thousand Dominion ships."

Dax wasn't impressed either. "One ship vs. a whole fleet, that's one hell a Plan B."

"Chief, how does that poem end?" It was Garak.

"You don't want to know,” said O’Brien, trying to avoid thinking of the words to one of the most famous failures of all time.

The Defiant went through the wormhole. It had traveled through the wormhole more than any other starship. The wormhole had been this crew's discovery. In a way, it was fitting that it should end here.

"Full stop,” said Sisko. “Chief, divert all power to forward shields and weapons."

Dax reported, "Captain, I'm reading multiple warp signatures ahead."

"On screen, Maximum magnification."

Thousands of Dominion ships filled the screen. Sisko knew what he was looking at. This single fleet was better than three times the size of the one the largest Federation/Klingon fleet ever assembled was barely beating and it was only the beginning of what the Dominion could send through if it decided more was needed.

Sisko looked at the fleet, and then looked past them into the future. What he saw chilled him to the bone. He saw the end of the Federation. With these reinforcements, they would be at Earth in no time. He could see Jem'Hadar patrolling the streets in front of his father's restaurant. His mind's eye saw a Dominion flag flying in front of Starfleet Command. He saw kids being left as orphans as their parents were executed for being suspected members of resistance cells. He could see the Federation's resources, its ships, its shipyards, and factories being turned into part of the Dominion's war machine. They would be used to conquer others.

Defeat had always been the most likely outcome, but it had never been inevitable. Now that wasn't true anymore. The entire Federation, what it had stood for, there would soon be nothing left. "Lock phasers. Prepare to launch quantum torpedoes."

And then his life was lifted from that plain of existence. The Prophets. As he felt himself in their realm, he got the sense that they wouldn’t help, that matters like wars didn’t interest them. "Why have you brought me here? Show yourselves. What do you want?"

A figure that looked like Odo appeared. "The Sisko has returned to us." Others started appearing and again disappearing as well. His surroundings looked like DS9, but that of course was an illusion.

Jake: He has arrived with questions.

Kira: There are always questions.

"I didn't ask to come here."

Dukat: You desire to end the game.

"What game? I don't understand."

Weyoun: You wish to end your corporal existence.

Damar: That cannot be allowed.

Odo: The game must not end.

"The game. You mean my life. Is that what this is about? You don't want me to die?"

Dukat: The game must continue.

Weyoun: You are the Sisko.

"Believe me. I don't want to die, but I have to do everything I can to prevent the Dominion from conquering the Alpha Quadrant. If that means sacrificing my life and the life of my crew so be it."

Jake: We do not agree.

Kira: We find your reasoning flawed.

Odo: Insufficient.

"I'm flattered you feel that way but it doesn't change anything. Now send me back to my ship."

The scene did change. He was on the Defiant, but not the real one. "This isn't what I meant. I want to return to my reality."

Damar: You are the Sisko.

"I am also a Starfleet captain. I have a job to do, and I intend to do it."

Weyoun: The Sisko is belligerent.

Dukat: Aggressive.

Damar: Adversarial.

"You're damn right I'm adversarial. You have no right to interfere in my life."

Kira: We have every right.

"Fine, you want to interfere, then interfere. Do something about those Dominion reinforcements.

Odo: That is a corporeal matter.

Dukat: Corporeal matters do not concern us.

"The hell they don't. What about Bajor? You can't tell me Bajor doesn't concern you. You sent the Bajorans orbs and emissaries. You even encouraged them to create an entire religion around you. You even told me once you were of Bajor. So don't you tell me you're not concerned with corporeal matters."

"I don't want to see Bajor destroyed, neither do you, but we know that is exactly what is going to happen if the Dominion takes over the Alpha Quadrant."

Odo: He will not listen.

Damar: We cannot take him.

Kira: He is not choosing to join us.

Dukat: He cannot be allowed to end the game.

Weyoun: It must start at this Sisko’s corporeal moment.

Bewildered, Sisko asked, "What, what must start?"

Kira: The Merging.

Sisko was back on the Defiant. It was the real one this time. He looked up at the viewscreen to see the Dominion fleet. Before he could say anything, he was forced to the floor as the ship was thrown from the wormhole. "Report."

Dax who had also been throw from her seat, pushed herself back to her chair. She hit a few buttons in confusion. "We have been thrown just outside the Bajoran system captain."

“And the Dominion?” said Sisko.

Dax shook her head. “I'm not sure.”

“Put the wormhole on screen.”

The viewscreen switched to showing the location of the wormhole. Ten seconds passed and it didn't open, then 20, then 30, then a full minute.

“Report on the fleet,” said Sisko.

O’Brien responded. “Another wave has broken through and will be here in less than 5 minutes.”

"Captain,” said Dax. “Something has got to be wrong with sensors.”

Sisko walked up to his old friend. “What is it?”

“I'm reading thousands of additional stars in the sector. It's like the star count just doubled.”

“The Prophets,” said Sisko.

Everyone looked to him. Sisko dismissed the thought and ignored the glances. They still needed to take DS9 and get the mines reestablished. He didn't know what the Prophets had done and didn't know if it would be permanent. “What is Deep Space 9's status?”

Dax checked the readings. “If sensors are accurate, their shields are up at all full strength, but their weapons are now offline.”

Sisko smiled. “Well done Major.” He sat back down. “Take us back to the station and prepare to engage.”

---

"What do you mean that…" Anakin stopped mid-sentence and sat upright. Seeing the change of expression on his face made Padme worry. "Anakin." He didn't respond. "Anakin, what's wrong?"

Anakin stared at her for a moment. "Something just happened."

"What?"

"I don't know."
Last edited by Star Empire on 2012-01-28 08:22pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Quick nitpick - that would be "Prophets", not "Profits". I think.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Star Empire
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Empire »

Thanks. Got it corrected.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

So the two galaxies have been stuck together? That's an unusual way of doing this.
Star Empire
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Empire »

Yep. I figured you couldn't get much more chaotic than that.
Star Empire
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Empire »

Chapter updates will slow down soon, but here is one more for tonight.

Chapter 3: Total Chaos

On Coruscant, Jedi Master Mace Windu was just about to give the order to lift off. Yoda had already left to retrieve the clone army, but the rest of the Jedi were still here. Before he could say anything though, he felt a massive disturbance in the Force. It was like being hit by a Wookie. He had never felt anything that even compared.

Mace just sat in his seat. He tried to make sense of what he had just felt, but it was impossible to do so. A disturbance of that magnitude had to have affected an extremely large area. It was like the whole universe, or perhaps the Force itself, suddenly had just cried out in shock.

Mace wasn't sure what to do. He looked around and saw that the other Jedi in the ship seemed as stunned and shocked as he. Mace remembered his training well. Concentrate on the here and now. He stopped concentrating on the larger universe and just focused on his own immediate surroundings. He couldn't afford to be so absorbed in the larger picture that he lost focus on what was right in front of him. Something much closer could be threatening, and as distracted as they were, every Jedi here might miss it.

Mace sensed the confusion of the other Jedi. He felt beyond them to citizens of the planet. There was no mass panic or anything unordinary for the moment. He focused his mind into the space above Coruscant and nothing seemed too unfamiliar there. Satisfied that there was no immediate danger, Mace walked to the front of the ship to check with the pilot.

When he got there, he felt confusion in the pilot, which was unexpected since he was not a Jedi. The pilot turned to the Jedi Master and said, "Master Windu, I had permission to lift off, but have since been ordered to remain here. I'm not sure why."

Something was going on in the galaxy. "It appears that Obi-Wan is going to have to wait."

----

From The Emergence of a New Galaxy: A Brief History of the Milky Bi-Galaxy Following the Merging
By Nerns Lance
Copyright: Kendra Province, Bajoran Provisional Government. 2394 AD.
Translated into English 2422 AD. Used with Permission.

Chapter 2: Panicked Responses to the Merging

What caused the Merging is an issue that is still debated to this day. While the prominent belief among Bajorans is that the Prophets caused it to protect Bajor, there is no certain answer. The reactions of the various space-faring races to it in the first moments of the Milky Bi-Galaxy are less up to interpretation.

To help some of our younger readers understand just how terrified citizens of both galaxies were, imagine this: You are safe alone in your home, and all of a sudden, your house looks completely different. It is filled with items you did not leave there and there are several aliens inside. This is how civilizations all over the galaxy felt following the Merging.

The reactions of the space-faring civilizations varied considerably, but understandably, there was a lot of violence. Most civilizations, which detected thousands of ships seemingly magically appear within their space, initially thought that they were under attack. Many (although still a tiny minority) responded by firing on everything they saw. It is estimated that as many as 30,000 small battles occurred within 15 minutes of the Merging.

Generally speaking, the ex-Milky Way civilizations were the ones attacking and Republic ships were the defenders. This was largely true because of the different experiences of the two galaxies. In almost all cases, Milky Way worlds had more reason to fear invasion than their Republic counterparts. Few within the Milky Way had knowledge of much the galaxy beyond their own borders, many had territorial disputes with neighbors, and all had reason to fear the vast unknowns of the galaxy. By contrast, Republic worlds had existed in such a large and stable institution for so long that the concept of an external invasion seemed absurd.

----

Delta Quadrant, Republic/Kazon Space - Claimed by Halik Sect

The First Maje received word that an unknown ship had somehow penetrated right to the middle of his space. He ordered his ship to destroy the intruder. The Kazon powered their weapons and approached the vessel. Unfortunately for the Kazon, they were mistaken in assuming the smaller ship was less equipped than themselves. The ship raised shields before it was fired on and quickly returned fire. The Kazon were little match for the turbolasers and ion canons coming at them.

---

Gamma Quadrant -Dominion/Republic Space

A dozen Dominion patrol ships were keeping guard of one of the Dominion's larger cloning facilities. As they detected a large ship appear on their sensors, no questions were asked. Immediately, the Jem'Hadar warships set a course for it. Thirty seconds later, they were within weapons range. All 12 ships fired immediately. The ship's shields held for a moment, until a smaller Jem'Hadar vessel did a suicide run against the ship. After that, the Jem'Hadar beamed over and took control of the ruined vessel.

---

Galactic Center – Republic/Corta Space

Coruscant was a city planet. More than any other planet in the galaxy, it represented stability and order. From here, the decisions which would affect an entire galaxy were made. Even in this system which symbolized galactic order however, chaos was rampant. Coruscant's defenses were brought to their maximum alert level as the planets sensors detected starling changes around them.

Admiral Robinson watched his sensors closely as a ship of an unknown design entered the system. The ship was flying at speeds faster than light, but not in hyperspace.

“Stand by weapons. If they get any closer than half an AU from Coruscant, fire immediately.”

His weapons officer acknowledged the orders quickly.

His sensor officer hit a few buttons. “Admiral, the ship has slowed and appears to be attempting to contact us.”

The Corta Alliance would be the Republic's first official first contact with a new galaxy.

---

Delta Quadrant – Borg/Republic Space

Vessel design unknown. Species unknown. Weapons analyzed. Weapons inefficient to penetrate cube defenses. Cube 13569 assimilate. "We are the Borg, lower your shields and surrender your vessel. Your technological and biological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is Futile." Vessel attempting to leave system. Firing weapons. Shields down. Lock tractor beam. Assimilate vessel. Add technological and biological distinctiveness to our own.

---

On Coruscant, things were a mess. It had only been half an hour since the event (as it was becoming known), and they were receiving millions of distress and emergency calls. The government had never anticipated or planned for anything of this magnitude occurring. The Senate, which had been in session, had been evacuated in case this was some form of attack. The individual members were now in what were considered safe areas, and trying to figure out what was going on.

A great number of rumors had started going around the planet. One was that giant planet-sized ships were currently destroying whole systems. Another more humorous rumor was that a Republic scientist had been working on a new hyperdrive and had somehow transported the whole galaxy to this new place.

Chancellor Palpatine, for his part, had refused to leave the government chambers for safer corridors, preferring to remain as close to the information coming in as possible. He was currently in a control room which was being used to coordinate the systems defenses and gather as much information as possible from other systems.

A lead scientist broke away from an argument and approached the leader of the Republic. “Chancellor, if I may have a moment.”

“Of course,” said Palpatine.

“Sir, we still are working on the details, but I think we have enough evidence to suggest another galaxy, another spiral galaxy, has somehow merged with our own.”

“How is that possible?”

“We don't know. There was certainly no galaxy about to collide with our own. Still, reports we are getting from all over the galaxy are suggesting the star count has nearly doubled everywhere.”

Palpatine nodded and turned to his military commander. “These encounters we've had. How do the other species compare to ourselves?”

“Chancellor, it's far too early to say anything of that sort. We...”

Palpatine interrupted him. “I am aware it's all speculation at this point, but I would still appreciate an answer. Do they appear to have caused this event?”

The general sighed. “They have some faster than light device we have never seen before. On the other hand, we've scanned their ships and, for the most part, they seem primitive. It doesn't appear that all species are from the same government and they seem - I emphasize the word seem- just as confused as we are. So, no, my initial guess would be they didn't cause this.”

Palpatine nodded. “Inform the senators that this does not appear to be attack and several primitive species seem just as confused about this as us.”

The general was furious. “But we don't know that yet. Chancellor, I've had about 20 minutes to review this so far. There is far too little evidence...”

“General, I appreciate your concerns, but anything that will get the senate and other leaders to calm down now will do us no harm. I also want to be doing a galactic broadcast within the next 10 minutes.”

“Yes sir.”

----

On Geonosis, Anakin was the only Jedi in the galaxy who had stopped thinking about the massive disturbance in the Force. As the chariot led him to his certain death, he kissed Padme. In so many ways, the moment was terrible. They were about to be killed. The Separatists may well have the means and will to destroy all they both stood for.

In another equally real way though, the moment was perfect. There was no longer any hiding what they felt for each other. There were no longer any questions about what was allowed or proper. For a single moment, the only thing that mattered to both of them was that they loved each other. Nothing, not even a death sentence, could overshadow that fact.

After their lips parted, the couple got a look at where they're heading…or not heading? No sooner had the chariot left with them than it had turned around. They were heading back where they had come from. Padme asked, "Where are we going?"

"I don't know," Anakin responded. Did it have something to do with that disturbance in the Force? That had to be it. What in the galaxy was going on?

---

Palpatine sat in his chair in his office. He was told he was on and started.

"Greetings to all citizens of the Republic and all else who receive this transmission. For everyone receiving this not from my galaxy, I am Chancellor Palpatine representing the Galactic Republic which is made up of most the planets in our galaxy.”

“As almost everyone is already aware, a major event has occurred. We here on Coruscant are doing our best to find out what has happened. It seems that our galaxy and that of another have somehow merged into one. The centers of both our galaxies are in about the same location, and the spiral arms follow similar courses as well. I would like to assure everyone that this does not appear to be an attack and would ask that restraint be shown by ships from both galaxies until we can sort things out.”

“This merging threw many, if not all our ships, out of hyperspace. This was fortunate because without every additional star, planet, moon, and other astronomical phenomenon in the computers, every jump would be the equivalent of a blind jump. There could have been millions of deaths. For the time being, all ships in the Republic are ordered not to engage their hyperdrives. We will update our computers with every new item as soon as possible, but for the time being, I must insist this rule be obeyed. If you find yourself under attack or in an emergency situation use it carefully."

"Coruscant is capable of going through the numerous messages we are now getting. However, the sheer number of signals is slowing down response time to the true emergencies. I ask that, for the time being, citizens, ships, and member planets of the Republic only contact Coruscant if there is an emergency. Also, if anyone listening to this believes you know what has caused this event please contact us. If you are not from my galaxy, just ask a Republic ship for help if you are otherwise unable to reach Coruscant. I will contact the galaxy once again when we find out what's going on. Thank you everyone."

---

Benjamin Sisko walked into in his office on Deep Space 9. It felt good to be back. He walked to his desk and picked up his baseball. He smiled a little and threw it into the air.

As he caught the ball, his smile faded. What had the Prophets done? Sisko thought of their words. Most of it he didn't really understand, but one part of it came back to him quickly. They said he wasn't choosing to join them. What in the hell was that supposed to mean?
Last edited by Star Empire on 2012-01-29 12:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arachnidus
Youngling

Post by Arachnidus »

I demand more. This is a very enjoyable read.
MysteriousDarkLordv3
Youngling

Post by MysteriousDarkLordv3 »

Oh thank heaven that in these dark times of confusion we have a calm and clear-sighted leader like Chancellor Palpatine to lead the way! Quickly let's make him President of the Federation and Chancellor of the Klingon Empire! Maybe he'd like the Praetorship, too? :angelic:
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

I like where this is going.

One thing stood out to me though, how do you go about doing a suicide run on the shield generator of a ship that hasn't lost shields yet? The generators are inside the shield.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, this is as apt an example for clusterfuck as I think of.

Continue writing.
Darth Paxis
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Paxis »

Very good. I look forward to reading more.
KAC-WG

DKeith2011
Padawan Learner

Post by DKeith2011 »

More please.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

The Vortex Empire wrote:I like where this is going.

One thing stood out to me though, how do you go about doing a suicide run on the shield generator of a ship that hasn't lost shields yet? The generators are inside the shield.
Also consider that in one of the comics, Executor was rammed by three Star Destroyers that had miscalculated a jump in the system and came out of hyperspace on top of her.

To the best of by knowledge, Executor didn't suffer any damage.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Not true. Last I checked, it needed a new paint job, the old coat having been seared off by the collisions. Seriously though, it managed to escape with virtually no damage, so it's very well built.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
Star Empire
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Empire »

Thanks for all the replies guys. I was planning on having another chapter up by now (these first couple are easier because I started an earlier rewrite awhile back), but real life has once again gotten in the way and it will be next week before I can get back to this.
My thought was that the suicide run was enough to push them through the already weakened shields, but I probably could have written that better. Might switch it up later.
MysteriousDarkLordv3 wrote:Oh thank heaven that in these dark times of confusion we have a calm and clear-sighted leader like Chancellor Palpatine to lead the way! Quickly let's make him President of the Federation and Chancellor of the Klingon Empire! Maybe he'd like the Praetorship, too? :angelic:
Palpatine would never take advantage of a situation like this. :twisted:
Loates
Redshirt

Post by Loates »

In the Star Wars universe there are two types of shielding: ray shielding and particle shielding. The Death Star, for example had ray shielding as its main defence, as quoted in the first film (episode IV) by General Dodonna (IIRC): "...the shaft is ray shielded so you'll have to use proton torpedos". This implies that, as the X-Wings are able to penetrate the main shields of the death star in order to fly down the trench, and as we see numerous prangs into the scenery by shot-down rebel fighters, the main shielding of star wars vessels is ray shielding which will only prevent energy waves from penetrating but will allow solid objects through. This is born out by the scene in episode VI when the super stardestroyer crashes into the surface of the second Death Star rather than smashing itself on their resepctive shields.

Andy
"Never trust anything you have to sign for. Just look what happened to Neville Chamberlain . . . ."
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

The Death Star had no shield but the one from Endor which had already been taken out if I remember correctly, and the SSD had already had it's shields knocked out by rebel bombardment.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

I'd thought it was just the (particle) shielding around the bridge -- but of course, stroke of bad timing, Arvel Crynyd happened. Was it ever specified if the shielding around the rest of Executor went down as a result, or had the shields gone down all over Executor beforehand? I wonder what would have happened if a still-mostly-shielded Executor had impacted the Death Star II, all other things being as close to canon as possible... (Can you even intentionally get a vessel to impact an object with the same movement/velocity/KE of an uncontrolled collision?)
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Well, if you slow-mo through the impact scene, you can see that Executor retains its form as it plunges into the Death Star -- the Death Star's hull begins buckling and exploding around it. So, based on that, we should be able to draw one of two conclusions:

(a) Executor's shields failed, but the ship is either built out of obscenely strong material, or the Death Star's hull structure in that portion was weaker than usual.
(b) Executor's other shields remained functional as it impacted the unshielded Death Star.

Case (a) assumes that 1, the shields failed completely across the entire ship, and that it was either built stronger than the Death Star or it hit a weakened section of the Death Star. That's two assumptions.

Case (b) assumes that Executor's shields remained mostly functional. One assumption.
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

The Executors shields have at one point blocked three ISDs decelerating from hyperdrive, still presumably traveling many times the speed of light, and prevented all damage but scratching the paint. So if the shields were still strong on the front of the ship, I see no reason why it would take damage from a subsonic impact with the Death Star.
Madzcat
Redshirt

Post by Madzcat »

While the movies were nice and all they really didn't do shields or ship to ship combat justice the way the books do.

There used to be two distinct kinds of shields, ray and particle, but eventually these two were combined and just became known as deflector shields or plain ole shields. Though from the way the books talk this happened before the Clone Wars started.

Both Death Stars were suppose to have their own onboard deflector shields, not just ray shields for the first one or a ground based projected shield for the second one. Though I guess the second one's being ground based was probably because it was still under construction.

As for the Executor I say the most probable scenario is the shields around the bridge were knocked out by earlier Rebel bombardment like Vortex said and the rest were operational when it crashed into the Death Star. After all the Executor class has multiple shield generators so as to completely cover it.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

But if the rest were operational, it wouldn't have been destroyed. Like I said, the same ship had taken 3 star destroyers at several times the speed of light before and only scratched the paint.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

I get the feeling that its ultimate demise was not from the impact, but the result of the very much nearby uncontrolled shutdown of a hypermatter reactor.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I would have said it was the shock of the impact wrenching everything up inside. I mean, fine, the DS 2 was moving very little, but I bet it masses a shitload more than the SSD. Hence, HUGE momentum imparted to bits and pieces of the SSD
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.