Fan Fic help

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

supercar14
Redshirt

Fan Fic help

Post by supercar14 »

I’ve been working on and off on a Star Trek, Star Wars crossover for some time now. I have a lot of ideas and a formed out plot. The problem is that since I take large breaks (several months at times) between writing sessions my ideas and plot keep changing. Sometimes it’s a major change but most of the time it’s small enough to leave the basic plot intact. I’ve also had to change some parts as I’ve read other works and saw that the same or similar idea has already been used and I don’t want inadvertently copy someone else’s work. I want to eventually post the story. Should I wait until I’ve got all my ideas ironed out and I firmly decide on everything (running the risk of coming up with more ideas that I like better all the while), or since I like the way it is now try to get it out as soon as I can before the plot changes in my head again?
Darth Paxis
Padawan Learner

Re: Fan Fic help

Post by Darth Paxis »

Have you written your plot down in the form of an outline? If you can get all the basics down on paper then it should be easier for you to manage your ideas.
KAC-WG

Elessar
Padawan Learner

Re: Fan Fic help

Post by Elessar »

Darth Paxis is right, an outline is a planning aide that will help you with the overall story, as well as help you flesh out some details that will make your story yours. Everyone gets inspiration from many sources, but the act of planning out your story will minimize the odds of you seeing a really cool scene, and then forcing a clone of it into your story

The other (harder) thing to do is to realize and accept that you'll always be growing as a writer. What you finish today, undoubtedly you'll look back in a few months and think "I could do better". Keep the impulse to revise under control, and always keep pushing forward. Because otherwise, you'll be rewriting for years to come.