The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

MysteriousDarkLordv3
Youngling

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Seventy Four Up

Post by MysteriousDarkLordv3 »

Stuart wrote:I've heard that conversation.
Any bookkeeper / tax preparer has had this conversation twice a day every day when quarterly taxes and reports are due. :| And if you hit these people to get their attention you are the one who gets arrested! Life is unfair. :roll:
nobody_really
Youngling

Post by nobody_really »

Stuart wrote:
nobody_really wrote: Did you really intend to show Yahweh as that much of an idiot? Or was Yahweh just stoned out of his gourd on the praise when Michael told him about the Legion's destruction. And shit, Uriel's been dead for quite some time now. Yahweh basically had a "Screw Him" reaction when he was told of Uriel's death, and was much more affected by the death of Wuffles.
It's not so much he's an idiot or stoned out of his gourd but things that he doesn't want to hear just don't register with him. They go in one ear and out of the other. It's a lot more common than one might think unfortunately. A typical example might go. . .

Auto-mechanic. "Sir, your transmission is completely blown, we're going to have to install a new unit. Estimated price is around two thousand bucks.

Driver. That's terrible. Did you fix the rattle in the door?'

Auto-mechanic. "Errr yes . . . . . ."

Driver "Thank you. By the way, was anything wrong with the transmission?"

I've heard that conversation.
Oh. Thanks. That fits in with his insistence earlier that evolution is false. And I must say, you hear much more interesting conversations than I do. :)
Morilore
Jedi Master

Post by Morilore »

Stuart wrote:"The distance is the real problem." Sir Michael Jackson sounded seriously depressed. "We can't get to the center from outside, not without stopping and refuelling. This place has the same ground area as Algeria. It isn't a city, it's an urbanized country."

"Perhaps we ought to rename it Coruscant." The photo interpreter grinned at his own joke.

The grin slowly faded as Petraeus just stared at him. When the interpreter was feeling thoroughly miserable, Petraeus spoke carefully.
That kind of thing seems to happen a lot in this story. Is it always the same person making these retarded cracks?
Petraeus shook his head. "That's an occupation plan, not an invasion. If Heaven folds, we can consider it." He looked more closely at the photographs that showed the area of Yahweh's palace. "What's going on here?"

"The Ultimate Temple Sir?" The photo interpreter spoke a lot more carefully than he had done before. "That foxes us completely. We took these shots from a Global Hawk a few minutes ago. She's still over the scene sir, and the anomaly is still there. It looks like there are two thunderstorms directly over Yahweh's palace. Take a look at this."

He slid another photograph over. It was a close-up shot of an Angel's face. Taken from more than 50,000 feet over the city and crystal clear in detail it showed one thing that was indisputable. The angel was terrified.

Petraeus reached out and tapped the anomaly. "Just what is going on down there."
Has it occurred to anyone to ask Lemuel? He knows, after all; he told Michael right before he defected that he should try to overthrow Yahweh.
"Guys, don't do that"
Saint_007
Youngling

Post by Saint_007 »

Poor, poor Yah-Yah. Only now does he realize how utterly boned he is. If he survives the duel, he's going to have a lot of rebuilding to do. If he doesn't... well, the term "unlamented Yah-Yah" figures prominently. I'm assuming Azrael is either unwilling to help Yahweh or had thrown his lot with Micheal. Gabriel and Raphael we know are solidly in Micheal's side.

Apparently, this might wrap up sooner than expected. Pity. I was waiting for Yah-yah to hold out until we tossed a nuke in His face...
Proud Member of the Myrmidons
nobody_really
Youngling

Post by nobody_really »

Morilore wrote:
Stuart wrote:Petraeus shook his head. "That's an occupation plan, not an invasion. If Heaven folds, we can consider it." He looked more closely at the photographs that showed the area of Yahweh's palace. "What's going on here?"

"The Ultimate Temple Sir?" The photo interpreter spoke a lot more carefully than he had done before. "That foxes us completely. We took these shots from a Global Hawk a few minutes ago. She's still over the scene sir, and the anomaly is still there. It looks like there are two thunderstorms directly over Yahweh's palace. Take a look at this."

He slid another photograph over. It was a close-up shot of an Angel's face. Taken from more than 50,000 feet over the city and crystal clear in detail it showed one thing that was indisputable. The angel was terrified.

Petraeus reached out and tapped the anomaly. "Just what is going on down there."
Has it occurred to anyone to ask Lemuel? He knows, after all; he told Michael right before he defected that he should try to overthrow Yahweh.
Judging from the way Lemuel has had his entire world view completely torn upside down and inside out, how he's suffering from drug withdrawal symptoms, and seeing the woman he loves be amputated, I don't know how useful Lemuel is going to be right now, or if he even wants to help Michael or the Humans any more. He is probably going to lose his position as Chief Investigator of the Holy Court (because there won't be a Holy Court when all is said and done) and without his position, how likely is it that Maion will even want to be with him? He won't be able to protect her from the coming destruction of Angelic society, and she strikes me as someone who just won't get it. I could certainly be wrong, and Lemuel and Maion working together to help each other get through the coming storm would be heartwarming, but I'm not going to accepting any bets on that.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

nobody_really wrote:Judging from the way Lemuel has had his entire world view completely torn upside down and inside out, how he's suffering from drug withdrawal symptoms, and seeing the woman he loves be amputated, I don't know how useful Lemuel is going to be right now, or if he even wants to help Michael or the Humans any more. He is probably going to lose his position as Chief Investigator of the Holy Court (because there won't be a Holy Court when all is said and done) and without his position, how likely is it that Maion will even want to be with him? He won't be able to protect her from the coming destruction of Angelic society, and she strikes me as someone who just won't get it. I could certainly be wrong, and Lemuel and Maion working together to help each other get through the coming storm would be heartwarming, but I'm not going to accepting any bets on that.
Yeah... you're pretty wrong. Maion just lost every secure thing she has, except Lemuel. Lemuel, who sacrificed everything to be with her. Lemuel, who turned the Eternal City upside down to find her. Lemuel, who divorced his wife to be with her.

Lemuel, who saved her life.

She won't leave him.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
nobody_really
Youngling

Post by nobody_really »

Simon_Jester wrote:Revelations, remember? He dictated it to some random goatherd or something.

So... if that's the case, then I for one have read his book.
I thought Revelations was the result of a new "salad" that Michael put together and gave to some beggar named John and it got recorded later. Either by John after he came down, or some other guy in a "Get a Load of This Crap" manner. If so, I wouldn't call it Michael's book any more than I would call A Farewell to Arms Jack Daniel's book. :)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

nobody_really wrote:
Morilore wrote:Has it occurred to anyone to ask Lemuel? He knows, after all; he told Michael right before he defected that he should try to overthrow Yahweh.
Judging from the way Lemuel has had his entire world view completely torn upside down and inside out, how he's suffering from drug withdrawal symptoms, and seeing the woman he loves be amputated, I don't know how useful Lemuel is going to be right now, or if he even wants to help Michael or the Humans any more. He is probably going to lose his position as Chief Investigator of the Holy Court (because there won't be a Holy Court when all is said and done) and without his position, how likely is it that Maion will even want to be with him? He won't be able to protect her from the coming destruction of Angelic society, and she strikes me as someone who just won't get it. I could certainly be wrong, and Lemuel and Maion working together to help each other get through the coming storm would be heartwarming, but I'm not going to accepting any bets on that.
Why does this matter? I mean, Lemuel will still KNOW what giant thunderstorms forming over the temple means, even if he's not going to be a hugely powerful person.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Eevin
Redshirt

Post by Eevin »

Stuart wrote:In desperation, Yahweh turned to the one ally he was sore he had left. Michael-Lan-Michael felt Yahweh reach out to his son, Elhmas, for the support he needed.
You know, this fragment makes me feel sad for poor Elhmas. He was Yah-yah's son, and still he is the last one that he calls for help. What does he tells you about their relationship? The guy was probably ignored his whole life, his father even ignored the notice of his death. That's cold.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

To be fair he barley registered the deaths of the rest of his "Friends"
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

Pelranius wrote:Once again a cliffhanger?

May I ask where the Chinese, French and India commanders are? They could be very busy with their own problems I suppose, but Marshal Dorokov is there.

Yah yah truly knows what it feels like to be alone. Looks like Ellmas really was his son, which sort of begs the question of where Ellmas's mother is (or was, knowing the way Yah Yah treats his allies and 'friends'). Unless the devils can reproduce asexually.

Trantor could also be another name for the Celestial City...
I go for Trantor too.

And true, where's the Virgin Mary in this mess? And was that of Michael feeling/expecting Ellmas returning Yahwe's call? is the man dead for real or what?
ehenders
Redshirt

Post by ehenders »

Eevin wrote:You know, this fragment makes me feel sad for poor Elhmas. He was Yah-yah's son, and still he is the last one that he calls for help. What does he tells you about their relationship? The guy was probably ignored his whole life, his father even ignored the notice of his death. That's cold.
Remember how Elhmas was noted to be a major pothead? Coping mechanism. Happens all the time.

TRH
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Seventy Three Up

Post by darksoul »

Werrf wrote:Anyone else wonder if this:
In desperation, Yahweh turned to the one ally he was sore he had left. Michael-Lan-Michael felt Yahweh reach out to his son, Elhmas, for the support he needed. For a tiny fragment of a second, Michael thought that Elhmas had answered the call and the chill of defeat started to sweep though him.
...is suggesting that Elhmas is still out there but has either deliberately refused his father's call or is too injured to respond, but could recover? Everyone else was just listed as dead, dead, dead, assassinated, etc., and Michael was earlier quite sure that Elhmas was dead, but then here he's not sure. I dunno, it just seems an odd way to write it if he really is gone and vapourised.
Maybe the writer is just trying some FanService :) since there was some discussion on this very thing earlier. I believe he's dead, but I would love if he isn't.
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

OmegaChief wrote:To be fair he barley registered the deaths of the rest of his "Friends"
true, but a son is not a friend... besides, those in power has no friends, they have followers and enemies. And ultimate power has blind followers, or sworn enemies. At least that's the way it seems.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

darksoul wrote:
Pelranius wrote:Once again a cliffhanger?

May I ask where the Chinese, French and India commanders are? They could be very busy with their own problems I suppose, but Marshal Dorokov is there.

Yah yah truly knows what it feels like to be alone. Looks like Ellmas really was his son, which sort of begs the question of where Ellmas's mother is (or was, knowing the way Yah Yah treats his allies and 'friends'). Unless the devils can reproduce asexually.

Trantor could also be another name for the Celestial City...
I go for Trantor too.

And true, where's the Virgin Mary in this mess? And was that of Michael feeling/expecting Ellmas returning Yahwe's call? is the man dead for real or what?
Coruscant is better because it means "glowing." Which, well, is what the Eternal City is liable to end up being if the human armies decide to make it into the Not So Eternal City.
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
nobody_really wrote:Judging from the way Lemuel has had his entire world view completely torn upside down and inside out, how he's suffering from drug withdrawal symptoms, and seeing the woman he loves be amputated, I don't know how useful Lemuel is going to be right now, or if he even wants to help Michael or the Humans any more. He is probably going to lose his position as Chief Investigator of the Holy Court (because there won't be a Holy Court when all is said and done) and without his position, how likely is it that Maion will even want to be with him? He won't be able to protect her from the coming destruction of Angelic society, and she strikes me as someone who just won't get it. I could certainly be wrong, and Lemuel and Maion working together to help each other get through the coming storm would be heartwarming, but I'm not going to accepting any bets on that.
Yeah... you're pretty wrong. Maion just lost every secure thing she has, except Lemuel. Lemuel, who sacrificed everything to be with her. Lemuel, who turned the Eternal City upside down to find her. Lemuel, who divorced his wife to be with her.

Lemuel, who saved her life.

She won't leave him.
Yep. feelings aside, She doesn't have that much choices either. This two are pretty much stuck together for a century or two at the least. Spoiler
Of course, getting Maion pregnant would help. It would be interesting and completely unexpected, since angels are so low fertility.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

By instinct, his first instinct was to call on Uriel.
Bit of an awkward sentence there.

I almost feel sorry for Yah-Yah, knowing that all of his friends are dead and that the whole world has turned against him. Then I remember that he's a genocidal bastard.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Am I the only one hoping for an anticlimatic end of the Yaweh-Michael fight? Like: Hellfire Missiles fall, everybody dies?
EdBecerra
Padawan Learner

Post by EdBecerra »

EarthScorpion wrote:
MysteriousDarkLordv3 wrote:The only two-thumbed critter I know of is the koala. Perhaps a sentient race that died out before humans arrived?
Well, Giant Pandas have a pseudo-thumb, that's actually part of their wrist bone, warped such that it protrudes out like a thumb would.

I suspect that this isn't relevant, though, cool though it would be to have a chorus of ancient giant pandas in heaven.
Lots of cats have something similar - dewclaws further up their forelegs. A chorus of cats now... THAT would be impressive. :lol:

(particularly given that my cat is currently draped over my right foot, and issuing death glares every time I try to get her to move...)

Ed.
Edward A Becerra
Cecelia5578
Jedi Knight

Post by Cecelia5578 »

Morilore wrote:
Stuart wrote:"The distance is the real problem." Sir Michael Jackson sounded seriously depressed. "We can't get to the center from outside, not without stopping and refuelling. This place has the same ground area as Algeria. It isn't a city, it's an urbanized country."

"Perhaps we ought to rename it Coruscant." The photo interpreter grinned at his own joke.

The grin slowly faded as Petraeus just stared at him. When the interpreter was feeling thoroughly miserable, Petraeus spoke carefully.
I dunno, with a total war mobilization, lots of civilians are going to be in the ranks, plus I'd imagine a slight, well, preference for more informality because of the requirements to fight the largest war in history. I can't imagine it'd be like Iraq, with sergeant majors performing uniform inspections and all that bullshit in the field.
Lurking everywhere since 1998
MGlBlaze
Redshirt

Post by MGlBlaze »

The Vortex Empire wrote:

I almost feel sorry for Yah-Yah, knowing that all of his friends are dead and that the whole world has turned against him. Then I remember that he's a genocidal bastard.
These are pretty much my thoughts as well. I don't think the entire world is against him as there are still bound to be a tonne of angels in the 'city' that are still giving him support, giving the sheer size of the place, but Yah-Yah has lost his main sources of power for sure.

At this point, though, if Yah-Yah wins after all (and it's starting to look like he might. I actually kind of feel sorry for Michael. Kind of.), things are going to be FUBAR. Until the humans kill the genocidal bastard, anyway.
EdBecerra
Padawan Learner

Post by EdBecerra »

darksoul wrote:Of course Germany would have to fight with the US eventually. The key word here is, eventually.
Actually, Hitler kind of planned on that. When the second, unpublished volume of Mein Kampf was found, the Zweites Buch, it pretty much abandoned the (relatively) mild admiration for American industrial society that Hitler had written into the first book. And most of that came from his impressions taken from Henry Ford, Charles Lindbergh and the like.

In the Zweites Buch, he shifts over to a stance of "America is a befouled nation, soiling itself with the blood of inferiors, and we must inevitably conflict with it in time."

IIRC, he foresaw this conflict as taking place around 1980 or thereabouts.

Ed.
Edward A Becerra
MysteriousDarkLordv3
Youngling

Post by MysteriousDarkLordv3 »

Spekio wrote:Am I the only one hoping for an anticlimatic end of the Yaweh-Michael fight? Like: Hellfire Missiles fall, everybody dies?
Just you. I'm still hoping that Yah-yah goes kaijuu and starts stomping on buildings and the human Army has to fight him in the streets. (With the death blow being delivered by a certain American officer with impressive weapons - and a tank, too. :wink: :) )
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

MGlBlaze wrote:These are pretty much my thoughts as well. I don't think the entire world is against him as there are still bound to be a tonne of angels in the 'city' that are still giving him support, giving the sheer size of the place, but Yah-Yah has lost his main sources of power for sure.
Well, he's lost the powerful minds that are directly obedient to him, and that he could most easily synchronize with. Instead all he's got is a big pile of incoherent power, which he can't tap so easily, especially not knowing how it works.

Whereas Michael has his own personal choir backing him up- coherent power that he knows how to tap.
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

MGlBlaze wrote:
The Vortex Empire wrote:

These are pretty much my thoughts as well. I don't think the entire world is against him as there are still bound to be a tonne of angels in the 'city' that are still giving him support, giving the sheer size of the place, but Yah-Yah has lost his main sources of power for sure.

At this point, though, if Yah-Yah wins after all (and it's starting to look like he might. I actually kind of feel sorry for Michael. Kind of.), things are going to be FUBAR. Until the humans kill the genocidal bastard, anyway.
It's easy to feel sorry for the defeated and the lonely. "Humans are oddly forgiving with those that surrender". But what the hell, if he must go, so be it.
I believe it's not a matter of how many followers Yahwe had, but of how many are tuned with his mind at the given moment. And Michael's terrorist attacks, the humans at the door, the environmental impact of the nuke and the wave of repression due to the dismemberment of the conspiracies had left the city restless. I doubt someone would be orderly praying in a chorus in any of the unbombed temples at the moment, so Yahwe has no power whatsoever other than his own. Not saying that's little either :) . Notice that I said orderly, sure every angel is mumbling a prayer or too, but too chaotically to be of any use.

Next song could be Lacuna Coil's 'Heaven's a Lie' :) .Just wishing.

By the way, what's the Japanese take on this, religiously? This is off topic, but it puzzles me. See, Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, I understand. they're pretty much the same anyhow. Buddhism was hand waved in Armageddon. But what about Shintoism? It would be odd to keep revering the deceased members of your family when you can actually talk to them. The social consequences to the core beliefs of Japan would be interesting to contemplate. Not that that's relevant now or anything, but still....

As for the sentence, how about "By instincts honed in millennia, his first impulse was to call on Uriel"?