All the little lost boys and girls (Update: 26/5/12)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Bladed_Crescent
Jedi Knight

Re: All the little lost boys and girls (Update: 17/01/10)

Post by Bladed_Crescent »

Okay, I lied. We're back to the monsters.

The doctors attempt surgery under extreme conditions and St. Cloud makes a friend.

Coming up: Team Fortress 2 Engineers have nothing on a pissed-off Darkknell tech.

Chapter 15:

A girl. It was impossible to tell for certain; the child’s face was in shadow, but the long, stringy clumps of hair made St. Cloud think the figure was female. She was wearing something that could only roughly be considered clothes; a bundle of fabric hung off her like a burlap sack with ragged holes cut into it for her head and arms to stick out. She was barefoot.

And, of course, she was holding a very big knife.

How the hell had she come here? Primal hadn’t had any kids on board. Was it possible that she was a stowaway? Or was she a survivor from one of the other ships that come here? Worse yet was the possibility that she had been born in this place. Majesty, there are people here. How many? The thought of a child growing up on this wrecked station sent something cold and jagged twisting through the mercenary’s guts.

“Hi, honey,” Jeremy said. Even at the best of times, he was not a man well-suited to offering or giving comfort. Too many years as a drop trooper, too many times watching others die. He cared for the men and women under his command, but he could never be a shoulder to lean on for them, or anyone else. Even though he’d left his broken and useless helmet behind, he doubted that an over-muscled man in body armour holding a gun was adding anything to his rough, deep voice’s best attempts at a soothing tone. Anything positive, anyways. “What are you doing out here?”

Watch it, idiot. She’s got a knife and might be just as bugged as the rest. No, he wasn’t about to get too close. Hernandez had led by example here.

The girl took a step back, her head coming up and she blinked against the light from St. Cloud’s torch. Her skin was pasty and smudged with dirt. Her eyes were hazel.

“Is anyone with you?” St. Cloud said, sweeping Betsy back and forth across the hall, the ceiling, straining to hear the sounds of movement as he ran down a mental checklist of any place a potential ambusher could be lying in wait. Hiding in the busted elevator. Lurking in the vents. Just inside the substation. Further down the stairs. “Are you all alone, honey?”

She took another step back as he continued to approach and raised the knife, baring her teeth in a hiss of warning.

“Okay,” St. Cloud said, stopping where he was. “Okay. It’s okay. I’m not going to hurt you.” Unless you come at me. Then they’ll have to scrape you off the walls, honey.

The girl remained still, neither retreating nor approaching as she evaluated him warily, slowly lowering her knife. The pair continued to stare at each other for a few moments. When she spoke, it was so abrupt that St. Cloud almost jumped. “Are you still alive?”

~

“You want us to operate... in here?”

Abigail looked over her shoulder at Emily. “What? What’s wrong with it?” Emily hoped the mercenary was being sarcastic.

Where do I start? The petite doctor took another look at the medical bay, aghast. The lighting was working, but she thought she might have preferred that it wasn’t. Cabinets were left open, broken syringes, boxes and bottles crunching under every step. The medical complex was the size of a small hospital, with a waiting room scarred by weapons fire, the seat cushions ripped up and stained with hundreds of years’ worth of bodily fluids. The reinforced glass of the receptionist’s station had long since been broken in, a faded stain in one corner where someone had sought futile refuge, cowering until the moment they’d been killed.

The IMSIS room had sent off the mercenaries’ rad-counters; counterpointing the pinging rattles of their sensors had been the warning that someone had been kind enough to spray-paint on the door – a simplified version of a radiation warning symbol, three triangles around a circle. Several other rooms had been welded shut, some doors broken off their hinges. There were gouges in the walls: craters caused by projectile weapons, scores burnt by energy fire, pockmarks created by some noxious chemical splash. Emily was almost positive that she could hear something stirring in the still-sealed rooms. She tried to tell herself that it was just nerves, but that didn’t make it easier to listen to the rasp of something that she could swear was in there, scratching at the door and wanting out.

On the walls were more prayers and blasphemies, desperate pleas, riddles and twisted jokes. Without access to the station’s computer - at least, no reliable access – this was the only way the stranded crews of DROP 47’s visitors had to leave messages. That didn’t mean it was any less unsettling.

One floor down, there were a pair of sentry guns, of a design that Emily had never seen before – they were cobbled-together affairs with exposed wiring and systems, surrounded by empty shells – crude, thick power cables from the guns snaked up through the ceiling, leading back into the ward where Emily and the others found themselves.

The room that they were was one of several intended for patients whose injuries or conditions necessitated a hospital stay for observation and/or treatment, but were not serious enough to warrant transfer to the larger complexes in the station core. Four beds, each of which was spattered with blood and other bloodily fluids. Emily could smell the odour of fetid tissue, fuzzy blossoms of mold and fungus sprouting off the stained bunks. The mattresses were new; they had to be off Primal, since anything older would have rotted completely away by now. Even synthetic fabrics would have disintegrated after prolonged neglect like this.

The surgical suite was completely unfit for any sort of work at wall; the stench emanating from its closed doors had filled the corridors and the stiffness in Shannon and Hutchin’ bodies as they’d hurried Emily, Salvador and Louis past that part of the hospital made the doctor both wonder just what they’d seen in there, and grateful that she didn’t have to experience it.

Haven taken in the room a second time, Delphini shook her head again. “It’s completely unsanitary.”

In something red, gooey and clumping, someone had splashed I AM WATCHING YOU across one wall. Emily didn’t think it was blood. It wasn’t attracting the flies the way the mattresses were, a swarm of buzzing insects flitting through the air, thick-bodied maggots and egg cases squishing underfoot.

Abigail shrugged. “It’s all we’ve got.” She moved to the least-disgusting mattress and flipped it over; the underside had been soaked through, but it was... somewhat... cleaner than the top. “We’ve checked the systems out,” the mercenary continued. “Most of the automeds are working. I’m not sure I trust them, but that’s beside the point. The sterilytic field is good, though.” She pointed at an extremely unsafe-looking serpent’s nest of cables, including those from the sentry guns, that ran over the floor from exposed maintenance hatches to a pair portable power generators; those were from Primal, too. “Someone jury-rigged it pretty decently. Give me a couple minutes and I can get it up and running. That should clean off the worst of it.”

“The worst of it...” Emily repeated, sharing a dismayed glance with Salvador. They were expected, without any assistance, to perform surgery on Hernandez. Without it, he’d die. They couldn’t keep moving him, but this... she covered her eyes with her hand for a moment. It was just a little thing, the expectation that just because she was a doctor she could work miracles. Here, the miracle would be Hernandez not picking up some kind of infection.

“You can’t be serious!” Ramone blurted, punctuating Emily’s observation. “This place is a sewer.”

“Funny story,” Abigail replied. Coming through her helmet’s speaker, her voice was almost completely flat. “Had to fight in a waste-treatment plant before. Couple of the squad took hits and Hayes patched them up.”

“Then get her to do it!” Salvador demanded.

“You’re the doctors,” Shannon said from behind, carrying a reeking crate. It was covered with something that Emily didn’t want to identify, but under the grime, she could see the Hadley-Wright corporate sigil on it. The corporal set the box down beside one of the uglier mattresses. “This is the only unopened one I could find in Surgery.”

Abigail nodded, kneeling beside one of the opened maintenance panels, pulling a few small tools out of her belt pouches. She tinkered with the machinery for a moment, before moving to the generator. “Okay. I can’t turn them on individually. It’ll be all or nothing.” At Shannon’s nod, Hutchins activated the generator. Above the beds, the sterilytic field generators hummed and coughed to life. The third one flickered on and off, and the second occasionally dimmed or briefly shut down, but the ones over the bed Abigail had flipped and Shannon’s box were constant, bathing everything below them in an anti-microbial field. The box steamed as the rotten film on its surface was burned away, the flies caught beneath the field flashing incandescently into ashes, or dropping from the air as their seared wings gave out.

“That’s a little too powerful,” Shannon mused. “We want clean, not sunburnt.”

“It’s just that one. At least as near as I can tell.”

“Okay, let’s get Louis up.”

It took all four of them to get the injured mercenary on the bed. He coughed, blood spraying up on his lips and leaking out around the synthskin Shannon had put on his neck and from the tube in his chest. “Bitch r’lly took a piece ou’ of m’, huh?” he laughed weakly.

“You’re here and she isn’t,” Abigail said. “I’d say that counts for something.”

Louis’s laugh devolved into another bloody cough. Hutchins clapped him on the shoulder. “You’re going to be all right, dumbass. You’ve got three medics here, with enough gear,” she nodded in the direction of the medical supplies that Shannon had found, “to patch up an entire battalion.” She put one finger on the middle of his forehead. “And since the sarge isn’t here right now and the corporal doesn’t go in for it, that means I’m going to have to be the one to kick your ass for not wearing your helmet. And if you cheat me out of that by dying, I am going to find your pansy ass in the afterlife and really fuck you up.”

“H’ abou’ jus’ fucking m’?” the injured mercenary slurred.

“Do something about the drool and we’ll talk.”

“An’ her?” Louis tried to point, but whether he was intending to do so at Emily, Shannon or both of them was unclear.

Abigail chuckled. “No promises. But if it gets you through this, you can fantasize about all three of us. Dumbass.”

Shannon pulled the filthy, steaming crate open – the seal had held and its contents were uncontaminated by... what had happened in the surgical wing. She held her gauntlets into the sterilytic field, letting it burn them clean before reaching into the container, sorting through its contents. It had been intended for the first expedition’s medical pavilion; by luck of the draw it held mostly first aid supplies. Well, not that lucky, since Primal’s own medical bay supposed to be for any serious injuries; Hadley-Wright’s pavilion was supposed to be more of a field station. “There should be enough to work with in here,” she said. Not everything, but enough.

Emily nodded as she and Ramone snapped on their gloves. “You said the automeds are working?”

“They’ve got power,” Shannon said. “I don’t know if I’d call them working.”

“But – Ab-Private Hutchins said... This would be a lot easier with them.”

“Emily,” Shannon said. “Look at them.”

The petite doctor did. One of the auto-surgeon’s scalpel-holding arms was covered in more blood than it should have been. The doctor’s mind was already on the conclusion: error, a fault in the machinery was one explanation. But... Imperial technology or not, Primal’s crew and expedition team would have been idiots to use the automeds without checking them first. Either they’d missed something or...

She looked over at Hayes. The other woman nodded in confirmation. “Someone’s been playing with them.”

Just like the doors. Emily suppressed a shudder. They’d expected DROP 47 to be abandoned. Instead... They must have tried to use the automatic systems, Emily thought, imagining reprogrammed robotic limbs cutting and cutting, frantic personnel trying to shut them down... or had it even been that way? An injured survivor laying on the cot, trusting the ancient machines to save their life...

This place is a tomb.

Louis groaned as Abigail and Shannon managed to get his cuirass off, the medic taking a pair of scissors and cutting open his shirt. Both mercenaries looked expectantly over at the doctors. Ramone and Emily shared a glance. “We can do it,” Delphini said, as much to her partner as to the soldiers. “We can do it.” She took a breath, holding out a hand. “Sedative.”

~

Emily felt a hand on her forehead, mopping away sweat and she felt a flush of relief. As a nurse, Shannon was one of the best she’d had. Neither doctor seemed able to complete a request before the mercenary was there to fulfill it. You’d make a good doctor, Delphini thought absently as she inserted a syringe into Hernandez’s throat, giving him another shot of hi-ox. Once he’d been put on his back, blood had starting to pool in his airway, leaking out of his damaged blood vessels.

Why won’t you heal?

It wasn’t just moving him; the bite was still bleeding. They’d given him 15% more than the normal dose of coagulants, and barely slowed it. There’d been something in the woman’s bite, some agent that was refusing to lay down and die. Emily had no idea what it was, but she remembered other organisms that were just as tenacious.

Hutchins was off to one side; she’d found a working computer and was playing with it, trying to find something useful. Every so often, she’d shoot a glance towards Shannon; Hutchins was good with hardware – Emily remembered that from her dossier, but Hayes had a better grasp of language, math and the computer systems themselves. Emily bit her lip; she wanted to know what was in that computer, but couldn’t very well tell Shannon to leave Hernandez. It would have to wait; not for long though – it seemed that they were finally getting Hernandez’s bleeding under control.

Lucky little shit, Emily thought to herself as she nodded at Salvador. “Okay. I think we’ve just about got it.”

Abigail barely heard the doctor’s admission, working instead on suppressing a series of profanities. The computer was slow, continually freezing and filled with corrupted files, but there’d been some effort made at upkeep and there were a few sectors that were still running. Hm. Looks like this was hooked into the hospital’s surveillance grid. She keyed through the various views, trying to figure out where the cameras were and what sections they were looking into. Between the sentries and the surveillance grid, this place wasn’t a half-bad strongpoint. Of course, there was Surgery... Wait; that view was from the entryway and-

The mercenary jumped out of the chair, grabbing her carbine. She was at the power generator that the guns had been hooked into, checking the feeds and cursing as she slammed a fist against the machine, still not getting the results she wanted. Power’s good; problem at the source, then. Shit! Abandoning it, the mercenary was almost out the door before Shannon turned towards her.

“What, what’s wrong?”

“Company’s coming,” Abigail said, spinning around, barely breaking stride as she did so. “I’d hurry with that.” Then she was pounding down the corridor towards the stairs, hoping she could make it to the sentry guns in time.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Sugar, snips, spice and screams: What are little girls made of, made of? What are little boys made of, made of?

"...even posthuman tattooed pigmentless sexy killing machines can be vulnerable and need cuddling." - Shroom Man 777
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Re: All the little lost boys and girls (Update: 29/01/10)

Post by Darth Nostril »

If you go down in the core today
You're sure of a big surprise.
You'd better go in disguise.

For ev'ry mutant that ever there was
Will gather there for certain, because
Today's the day the station staff have their picnic.

Ev'ry mutant who's been good
Is sure of a treat today.
There's lots of marvelous people to eat
And wonderful games to play.

Beneath the trees where nobody sees
They'll hunt and eat as long as they please
That's the way the mutants have their picnic.

Picnic time for station staff
The little mutants are having a lovely time today
Watch them, catch them unawares
And see them picnic on your intestines.

See them gaily gad about
They love to flay and shout;
They never have any cares;

At six o'clock their mummies and daddies,
Will take them home to bed,
Because they're tired little flesh-eating monsters.

You'd better not go alone.
It's lovely down in the core today
But safer to stay at home.

For ev'ry mutant that ever there was
Will gather there for certain, because
Today's the day the station staff have their picnic.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

All they need is a cross-dressing mutant crazy acting as the company clerk and it's like reading MASH through a sci-fi horror filter. Good stuff, Bladed.

Also, Darth, that was pretty cool too.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I just wish your pictures wouldn't fuck up the formatting.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Bladed_Crescent
Jedi Knight

Heh; Darth Nostril, that was hilarious - good show!
Mr. Coffee wrote:All they need is a cross-dressing mutant crazy acting as the company clerk and it's like reading MASH through a sci-fi horror filter. Good stuff, Bladed.
Thanks! Glad you're enjoying.
Lady Tevar wrote:I just wish your pictures wouldn't fuck up the formatting.
Sorry; I didn't realize.

I work with them at 1600*900/800 and halve their size to make them fit on a 1024*768 screen. At least, that was the intention. There's some dead space to the right of each in the spoiler box, but that vanishes whenever I move my browser window in. It might just be my settings/browser, but I don't see any disruption in the formatting with them.

Apologies again for any problems; next time I'll see if I can shrink them a bit more and still remain legible; with luck that may help.
Sugar, snips, spice and screams: What are little girls made of, made of? What are little boys made of, made of?

"...even posthuman tattooed pigmentless sexy killing machines can be vulnerable and need cuddling." - Shroom Man 777
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Awesome story man, keep it coming.
LadyTevar wrote:I just wish your pictures wouldn't fuck up the formatting.
They're not messing up mine, and I don't think I have any weird setup or anything
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Bladed_Crescent
Jedi Knight

Whew. Way too long between updates, I know. Apologies. As well, apologies to Lady Tevar and anyone else whose formatting may go a-kilter; this graffiti is a bit wider than normal. I didn't realize until I'd made it that shrinking it smaller than normal would make it much more difficult to read. I have played with the settings, but my screen/settings don't show anything amiss, so I'm not sure where else to go from this point. Again, sorry if it causes any problems and I'll try to make a more shrinkable version next time around.
phred wrote:Awesome story man, keep it coming.
Your wish is my command. At least, so far as updates are concerned. I don't do other wishes. At least, not without some kind of 'Monkey's Paw' catch to them. :twisted:

Bladed_Crescent
Jedi Knight

Whoever said preserving biodiversity is a good thing? After this, Abigail sure won't.

Coming up: Getting pried off the ceiling is no longer just a figure of speech.

Chapter 16:

Thin, cracked lips turned up into a grin, hands braced against both sides of the console, staring at the flickering screens and the figure on them. “Moths run to the flames, little one. So too the Turned towards resurrection. Honour kills, kills, kills just like the Turned. Which are you plagued by? Trying to save others? Tch, tch. No no no. That won’t help you on Acheron. Just more chances to be stabbed in the back.” A harsh, reedy giggle escaped from a dry mouth. “It doesn’t matter,” gnarled fingers adjusted a different screen, watching as North-4 Hangar opened, allowing hell itself to enter the station. “It doesn’t matter. You’re still going to pay for this. Oh, yes. We were doing so well until you came along. Now you’ve made them curious.”

A long-neglected chair squealed as it was spun to face a different console. Ancient keys clacked as menus and control systems sparked to life. “Good morning, sweetheart. How are you feeling?”

“War-war-warning,” a new voice stuttered to life. “You are. Are attemp-temp-tempting to access gravitational plating-ating systems. Access-ess restricted. Ted. Security has-has-has been notified. Notified.”

“Yes. Yes, I know darling. Don’t worry. It’ll be over soon.”

~

Another bisected once-human thing, each arm had split at the shoulder into a pair of limbs that carried it across the floor, its body held low to the ground. Its tail wasn’t as muscular as that of the creature that had attacked Shannon and while the sharp bone tip at the end still seemed sharp, it was thinner and – probably – incapable of cutting into metal bulkheads as its heavier counterpart’s had. Its head was longer, its canines smaller. Not the jutting fangs of a sabertooth, but the short, heavy teeth of a hound.

Bright pink tendrils licked out from apertures in its skull, blossoming into delicate branching fronds like the antennae of a moth, before collapsing into a thick, dark tendril and sliding back into the creature’s... nostirls? Abigail wasn’t a biologist and her zoological education consisted of knowing what, among the Black Ocean’s many vermin, was edible and which of them considered her edible. But she knew enough that she could tell that this thing wasn’t a fighter like the others; it was built too lightly. Instead, the way it carried itself, the turns and bobs of its distorted once-human features and the flickering of those tongues told her enough about it. It was a tracker.

Shannon could probably have parsed out why it was here – random chance, directed by some intelligence or foreknowledge that prey frequently ended up in this hospital, but Abigail knew one thing about it: it needed to die. The woman slowly removed her last incendiary, thumbing off the safety, one finger on the trigger. Her breath slowed as the twitching, ambling thing skulked through the lobby, unmistakably following the same path that the survivors had taken. There were tube-like vents sticking out of its back, wheezing in time with each breath. It hadn’t seen her perched up one level above.

She thumbed the grenade’s trigger to a timed detonation, counting down the seconds. Now. In one smooth movement she rose up from behind the railing and hurled the explosive.

Before it had even hit the ground, the tracker-thing’s head snapped towards the grenade. It skittered to one side, unbelievably fast for such a freakish form. Even over the hollow roar of the flames and her dampeners, Abigail could hear its shrill, piercing scream, jabbing into her skull like a knife. She tried to get a bead on it, but it was too fast, bouncing from the deck to the walls and back again, leaping from railing to railing, still shrieking, a ululating crescendo as its jaws snapped and gnashed in agitation.

“Will you just shut up!” Abigail snarled, barely able to hear herself over the yowling tracker, trying to get a bead on it with her gun, but even to her senses, it was almost a blur. Each series of leaps brought it closer to her, though. Maybe it was smart enough to try and get her to waste ammo. Maybe it was simply acting on some instinct. Either way, it was moving too quickly and erratically for her to throw bullets at. She had to predict where it would-

“Got you,” she whispered over the bucking of the carbine in her hands. The tracker-thing fell wailing to the floor, thrashing about in the flames, its flesh providing fresh fuel. It righted itself and spasmed wildly, racing erratically across the floor, as if trying to outrun the fire gnawing at its limbs and body. It’s flight was brief and it collapsed, the flames still licking away at its thankfully-silent corpse.

And in the distance, something else took up the call. And something else. And something else. And something else.

“Shit.” Abigail cursed as she sprinted back up the corridor. So much for plan A. Back to the guns it is.

~

Emily sighed, pulling off her bloodstained gloves. She looked for somewhere to throw them, but realized that any place was as good as another and tossed them into a corner. “He’s stabilized. We’ve gotten the tissue damage in his throat repaired and managed to slow the spread of the anti-coagulative agent.” She didn’t even know who she was telling; Salvador and Shannon had been right there with her. She was just so tired. “Breathing’s good and heart rate’s coming back up. I just hope he didn’t pick something up from this place.”

The mercenary’s flesh was still a none-too-healthy pallor and Emily had reservations about how well he was doing, but they didn’t have any way to transfuse him. She and Salvador were the wrong blood type, Shannon’s Halo genome made her physically and mentally superior, but it a poor tissue match for more common human genotypes. And even if she had been a match, Delphini might as well pour liquefied offal into Hernandez as use Hutchins’ Darkknell blood.

The doctor tried to cut off that thought, but it crept in at the edges. Darkknells were trash. Emily pressed her hands to her face. She could feel the powder from the gloves on them, smell its anti-septic aroma. Easy, she told herself. One of the people guarding you is a Darkknell, so keep that attitude stowed. At least until...

She chopped that thought off, too. It was this place, eating away at her. It felt like there were voices that she could barely hear, whispering to her and they just wouldn’t shut up. Maybe that’s how it had started with Primal’s crew...

Feeling guilty, Delphini looked up, hoping that in her fatigue, she hadn’t actually said any those things. Shannon wasn’t even paying attention, though; her helmet was off and she had one hand pressed to her earpiece. “Copy that. Do you need me to – No, he’s stable. Still under. Yes, it should be safe to. Are you sure you don’t – understood. No heroics, private. Hold them as long as you can, then rabbit back up here.” As she spoke, she started rummaging through the cabinets and the few supplies that Primal’s people had left here, picking up canisters and examining them. “The computer might have that information. Let me see,” as she walked past the doctors, she nodded back at the cabinets. “Flammables.”

Emily took the hint, pulling out any substance that could burn. It sounded like they’d need them.

~

The screams and gibbering howls were getting closer; she couldn’t tell if they were in the building, or in the walls. Loud enough to disturb whatever was sealed within the quarantined rooms, Abigail could hear the monsters scrabbling at the walls and doors with increasing force. The vents started to rattle with movement. “Worthless pieces of antique shit,” the tech swore as she soldered wires together. It looked like someone had just stuck a hand into each gun’s exposed systems and ripped out whatever they could grab.

There was a frantic plod of movement and another thing appeared at the end of the corridor. Its arms were raised up over its head like a mantis, two fingers on each hand fused into a long jointed blade that curved down, the thumb extended into a wicked claw that arced up between the ugly scythes. Its torso was pock-marked with its own blood, a clean circle indicating where several recent bullet wounds had healed over. Stringy gobs of red, dripping flesh hung from its jaws.

And it was wearing pants.

What was left of them, anyways. Ragged and formerly white – the same colour as the Hadley-Wright scientists had worn. Another ring of cloth still clung stubbornly to one shoulder, some filthy badge cstill hanging on to the scrap of cloth. Perhaps a division patch, but the mercenary had neither the time nor inclination to study it close enough to see which section the corper had belonged to. You used to be someone, Abigail realized. She’d suspected. She’d have had to be an idiot not to, but this drove it home. It had been a person. Maybe even one of the people who’d brought the supplies here, using the hospital as a refuge.

And this is what had happened to them.

Her neck itched furiously. “We shouldn’t have come here,” she said by way of apology to the charging demon, blowing its head and upper torso into a spray of putrid flesh. Its body staggered about, blades flashing wildly as it tried to backtrack her fire, but it had gotten turned around and it slammed into the wall, rebounding and turning slightly before thudding into the bulkhead again. Each time it turned a bit more, trying to locate a clear path up the corridor.

While it did so, Abby had a precious few moments and she bent back to the first gun’s wiring. “Finally,” she hissed. Steam vented from the weapon as it powered up, registering the flow from the generator upstairs. The ammo canisters hooked into it cycled, its system testing each of them. Motion sensors acquired a target and the sentry gun slammed out a half-dozen flechette rounds, ripping the headless thing into twitching bits of flesh.

“Yes!” Abigail shouted. “We have lift-off!” She sidled over to the second gun, trying to resurrect it as the howls grew louder. Above them all, something awful bellowed, the sound drowning out the rest of the cries of mindless hunger.

She wished she could wipe the sweat off her brow.

~

“Come on, come on,” Abigail cajoled the computer, running through its coding. “Here,” she deleted a corrupt directory. “Here,” programs that hadn’t worked in six hundred years vanished from its system. The script flowed past the screen so fast it made Emily’s eyes hurt, but Shannon seemed completely unbothered, running through the system, trying to get it working again, her hands flying over the ancient keyboard.

“Here. Here. Here. That should do it. Restart. Come on.” A moment passed; she could hear the clatter of weapons fire, the hollow burping bursts of flechette launchers, a staccato drumbeat of large-canister shot and the familiar rattle of Abby’s carbine. “Three, Four. I’ve got the system working.” As much as we can call it that. “You were right. Someone from Primal input a lot of data to the terminal. Most of it’s hopelessly corrupt, but I’m pulling what I can to my IDS. Prioritizing schematics. Looks like – yes. Someone’s appended markers to local maps. I’ve got it.”

“Good. Get the tweaks out of there. I’ll be right behind you. Promise.”

“Abigail-”

“I promise, corporal.”

~

The second sentry sprayed large-caliber shells down the corridor, chopping twisted, pulsing bodies in half, sending arms and legs flying. The flechette turret slammed out burst after burst of shrapnel, ripping whatever made it through the chaingun’s hailstorm to bits. Unfortunately, that was a lot. The guns were real slap-dash jobs, made from components from Primal and a host of local parts, some of which she couldn’t even identify and most of what she could had never been intended to be used like this. The guns weren’t cooling properly – if they ever had – and thick, stinking steam fumed from their exposed joints, their movements becoming more erratic. Abigail could smell metal and plastic starting to cook, but there was nothing she could do about it.

A burst from the second turret blew an arm off something that had had too many to begin with, the once-human thing’s distended face vanishing in a follow-up spray of bullets. The merc clenched her teeth; she’d seen power-armoured troops show less courage. They just kept coming – legless torsos pulled themselves along the gore-slick deck, mouths with jaws blow away drooling blood. Headless bodies charged like berserkers into the storm of metal. Gargling, shrieking monsters ignored wounds that would have killed any other creature in the galaxy, intent only getting to her, their mouths frothing with fetid drool, red eyes blazing with hunger.

Her arms ached as she emptied one of her few remaining clips, slapping a new one into the carbine. “Come on!” she shouted in challenge. “Come on, you bastards!”

She took a step back.

And another.

Another.

~

Done. Shannon cut her IDS’s link to the system. Whatever files were on it, she had them now. She stalked over to Louis; he was sitting up in bed, covered in sweat. His skin was waxy and too light to be healthy, but he was as fit as could be. “Ready, corporal,” he said. His eyes were still a little glassy; mixing sedatives and stimulants... not what she’d recommend in normal circumstances. She pulled out a pocket flash, checking his pupils. He blinked at the sudden brightness in his eyes.

The woman nodded, her right hand moving over her IDS holo-display, sending the new schematic data to Louis’ HUD. “Take the doctors to the crew quarters. Look for anything you can use, try and get in touch with the rest of D Company. We survived, some of them did too. Hold down the fort until rescue arrives. Emily – give him the pistol.”

“What about you?” Delphini asked as she handed the weapon over.

“I’m going to get the rest of my squad.”

~

It had once been a woman. At least, it seemed to have been. Its chest had a pair sagging, distended breasts – mismatched in size and shape – and long, stringy hair hung from its head. One half of its face seemed almost normal. Distended, off-colour and malformed, but almost normal. The other half of its features were twisted into a hideous mask. Cheekbones speared through its skin into ugly spines, flesh stretched gruesomely, twisting the once-human thing’s lips up into a loathsome rictus, away from its worn, stunted teeth.

The flechette launcher was dry.

The abomination retched hideously, its neck bulging as if it were bringing up a literal lungful of phlegm. Its mouth opened, the lower jaw popping out of joint as some gleaming-slick ball forced its way up from its gullet, held between its dislocated jaws. The monster’s neck and jaw spasmed, firing the bolus with all the force and speed of a heavy-worlder discus thrower. Abigail ducked to one side, but the shot hadn’t been aimed at her. Instead, the ball splattered against the second sentry. Hissing embers of smoke wisped up from the gun as it began to melt.

Acid! That thing had just spat a ball of acid. The turret began to pop and spark as the corrosive liquid ate into its almost-empty ammo cartridge, setting off the bullets inside. The turret sagged to one side, one barrel deformed and dripping as the gun’s superstructure rapidly dissolved. Acid that eats through metal, oh Jesus.

Huk-uk-uk-uk. The spitter was readying another one. Abigail put a three-round burst into its chest, staggering the thing back. Thick, dark blood oozed from the wounds as tendrils slathered from the fresh openings in its body. Its maw opened, exposing the queasy pulses of the mucus-wrapped bolus as it was forced into its mouth. The young woman sighted in on the ball. Bet you won’t like a mouthful of your own shit. She took a step forward...

...her boot came down in a puddle of gore, slipping forward. Abigail tried to keep her balance, but her foot was on something and it slid over the wet deck, sending her leg one way and the rest of her body another.

Ugly eyes – one red and one blood-shot blue – stared at her. Neck muscles twitched and the spitting thing reared its head back...

...there was the crack of a pistol, the pop of flesh meeting a supersonic round and the Spitter was suddenly missing its head. Covered in its own acid, its flesh ran like water off its twisted bones even as they melted. It couldn’t even scream as it dissolved. A hand grabbed her forearm, pulling her up as the pistol barked again and again, the heavy hammer rounds blowing craters into the surviving horde.

“I had her just where I wanted her!” Abigail snapped over the crash of her own weapon, both women backing up the corridor.

“Of course,” Hayes replied. “It was all part of a cunning plan.”

“That’s how we’re going to remember it,” Abigail quipped. “Two mags left!”

Shannon fed a new clip into her pistol. “Same here.”

“I think this group is just about done. Flechettes chopped up what was left pretty good.”

Shannon shook her head. “Not enough.”

“What?” Abigail followed her partner’s gaze. “Oh, fuck me.”

The dismembered parts were pulling themselves together. Ruined torsos bulged as mismatched limbs attached to them, gaping, gnashing heads sealing themselves onto decapitated bodies, whether they belonged to one another or not. It wasn’t like in the hangar’s concourse: here, the carnage was so thick that each twitching piece could easily find another before they died. The body parts stirred as the first aberration to resurrect pulled itself up on uneven legs. It had three arms, not one of which had originally belonged to it, two of which had joined at its right shoulder joint, both ending in grasping talons of fingers. They were paired with another of the increasingly-familiar bone-scythes for a left arm. Its head had belonged to something with darker skin and it staggered forward, recovering from the trivial ordeal of being blown to pieces.

“Oh, that is cheating,” Abigail moaned, her arms starting to shake as more kitbashed things began to haul themselves up, floundering back and forth as they tried to force their new limbs to obey, or simply dragged themselves through the spray of body parts towards Abigail and Shannon.

The first Lazarus opened its mouth, a rush of bloody saliva spilling out over broken teeth. It tried to make a sound, but its vocal cords were still shredded and all that came out was a wet gargle.

Then, something bellowed. It was the same cry that had drowned out the screams of the horde earlier. Abigail felt the entire complex shake as something massive pounded into the building downstairs. Another howl, this one rising from that first deep cry of hunger and rage, to a piercing shriek so loud that, were it not for their auto-dampeners, would have deafened both women. Still a sound of hunger, still giving voice to blind rage, it went beyond merely vocalizing those desires. Whatever made it was consumed with them utterly, driven mad by the need to slay and feed. There was something else beneath those impulses, some other aspect to the loathsome cry, but Abigail truly did not want to find out what.

“Run?” Abigail asked, hating herself even as she prayed that they wouldn’t have to hold the line.

Shannon’s response was simple. “Run like Hell!”

There was a crash as some barrier gave way, another deep cry raising to shrillness, warbling as whatever made it sensed how close its prey was, hearing the thud of their feet on the deck above it. Another crash, followed by the thud of powerful feet against the stairs as whatever it was climbed out of the lobby.

Abigail could hear the crush of cracking bones and the horde’s screams of frustration as anything in the hunter’s path was smashed aside.

They fired wildly over their shoulders as they ran, ignoring their dwindling ammo. “Up the stairs!” Taking them three at a time as the door was shattered off its hinges. Abigail caught only the barest glimpse of their pursuer as it tore itself into the confining stairwell. All she could make out was its size. There was a flicker of movement and the resounding thud of something pouncing on the landing below them. Abigail dove through the doorway, catching a glimpse of too many teeth as it flew towards them, smashing against the door as Shannon hit the controls, putting a barrier between them and their pursuer.

A scream of frustration dwindled into a low, considering growl. The door buckled with the first impact. The second smashed one corner out of its track. The mercenaries didn’t wait for the third or fourth, but the crash of metal told them that the door had met the same fate as every other obstacle in their pursuer’s path.

“There!” Shannon pointed to an open vent. “Get inside!”

“Are you crazy? Those things move through the vents!”

“Do it, private!”

Abigail cursed, but swung herself into the confining shaft, falling a short distance to a small intersection. She even didn’t have time to pick herself up before Shannon landed on her. Above, the creature let loose a wall-shaking scream of frustration and battered futilely at the bulkhead for several moments, but it couldn’t fit into the ducts.

Not these ones, anyways.

The women picked themselves up; hunched over in the dark confines of the vent, they took a moment to collect their breath. Abigail’s motion tracker wasn’t showing any movement, but their impact had to have attracted attention. “Where to?”

“I sent Hernandez and the docs to the crew quarters,” Shannon paused a moment. “This way – twenty meters, there’s a hatch into a maintenance closet. It’s right along the route I gave them.”

“So it wasn’t just a desperate gamble that you hoped would pay off?”

“Well, this is how we’re going to remember it.”

Abigail chuckled. “Fair enough.” She clambered onto her hands and knees. “I’ll lead.”
Spoiler

Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Re: All the little lost boys and girls (Update: 13/02/10)

Post by Sky Captain »

Absolutely AWESOME. Flesh eating acid balls spewing zombies, giant predators. I love that place.
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Re: All the little lost boys and girls (Update: 11/01/10)

Post by Swindle1984 »

Bladed_Crescent wrote:What can I say? I have a gift.

To make people sleep with every light in the house on, but still... :D
To be fair, I usually sleep with a loaded gun next to me. :lol:
Your ad here.
Bladed_Crescent
Jedi Knight

Re: All the little lost boys and girls (Update: 13/02/10)

So, uh... been a while, huh? Hopefully I'm not the only one who remembers this story, right?

[hears crickets chirp]

Right?

[hears something move in the vents]

...right?

OH SHI-

Chapter 17:

-blood-

Blood and fear.

It was always this way; the New Ones always fell to the cairn. Father knew this. He knew why. The Old Ones hadn’t understood, not really. Not until it was too late. The New Ones didn’t understand at all. And even then, just like the Old Ones – not before it was too late.

It was Umbra.

-kill-

This ship... it was a new design. Unfamiliar.

It would have to be studied. The last unit had neglected to do so. They’d been sloppy and because of it, this ship had called others to its aid.

Now it would not call anyone ever again. The cry had been silenced, but corrupting it would take time. There was some debate – simply kill the surviving New Ones, or invest the effort into securing the vessel against any attempt at escape.

The scent of life filled the recycled, stagnant air. A ship full of living New Ones, cowering away from them. Prey.

-hunt them down and slaughter them as they beg for mercy-

Twitching. Limbs quivering with the instinct, the desire, the need to kill.

-warm and wet and red, rushing down your throat, struggling in your grip but growing weaker-

No. No. Father wouldn’t want it.

-drown them in the blood of their still-living kin-

Directives were issued. It was an effort, but reason overrode instinct. This time. Each time, it was a struggle, to be more than what they had been built for. What the Old Ones had made of them and Umbra had shaped.

-hunt and slay-

Yes. That urge could be satisfied.

-protect-

~

I hate this place and everyone in it.

That was Calvin Meyers’ new personal mantra and he repeated it under his breath as he squeezed his power-armoured form through another tangle of piping. He didn’t know what the tubes were normally supposed to convey, only that their plastic seals had decayed long ago and they were currently leaking something that he assumed was a foul-smelling effluvia onto his suit.

The maintenance crawlway would have been a tight fit for a man in an ordinary engineer’s EVA suit – as it was, Calvin’s progress was a slow, squeezing, shifting affair. Some sections required him to turn sideways to fit through hunched doorways and debris-choked passages, his gun-arm pinned behind him as he used his free hand to help pull himself through the ductworks. Luckily, he hadn’t run into anyone else, though there were still signs of habitation.

Dust-covered blankets and cots had been crammed into side passages and cramped maintenance closets. Ancient stains were spattered on bulkheads. Shell casings crunched under his feet. Meyers knelt to pick one up; it wasn’t a make that he was familiar with – it was crude. Very crude... had it been built locally? It was possible, even probable that it had been built from nothing as complicated as a machine shop like the ones aboard Kerrigan and Primal but the mercenary still felt his heartbeat quicken as he thought about it. The rest of the station was beat to hell; there was no way it could still be operational... right?

Despite himself, Calvin licked his lips; DROP 47 was so isolated, in such a hostile environment, that it had to have been built with a fabricator engine. Not just any low-level ‘factory’. Oh no, DROP 47 would have been outfitted with a full-up, balls-to-the-wall-how-many-battlecruisers-would-you-like-me-to-build Hephaestus engine. Jesus Christ. The Holy Grail of technology. If that was still operational... Then it doesn’t matter how many people have died or still will. Because that will make it worthwhile.

That’s what he told himself.

It gave him something to focus on besides the noises in the ducts and the scratching whispers that he couldn’t quite focus on.

~

Louis swept his flashlight across the hall in a continuous back-and-forth arc, but there was no sign of movement as he led the doctors towards the crew cabin. There was still tightness in his chest and he had to move carefully or he’d get dizzy spells, but the docs had done good work, especially for the conditions they’d been working under. He didn’t know how long he’d stay fit, but they’d given him more than an even chance.

And Jesus, Mary and all the other saints – next deployment, I will wear my helmet.

Hernandez scratched at the back of his head with one hand. His skin felt like it was crawling. His comm line was open, but all he got on it was static. Static and, he thought, the occasional indistinct voice. Nerves, that was all.

When they’d been on Kerrigan, crawling through the Mists, he’d been getting a bit buggy there, too. Trouble sleeping, seeing things out of the corners of his eyes. He hadn’t been the only one, either. Just cabin fever. Nerves. Careful, Louis, he thought with a mental chuckle. Last thing anyone needs is for you to get the bug after all this.

There was the occasional rattle that sounded suspiciously like gunfire and every once in a while, he would hear something sigh or moan in the distance, or there would be the echo of a loose bit of debris clattering around but so far, the denizens of DROP 47 seemed to be ignoring him and his charges. Which suited one Louis Hernandez just fine.

The whispering intensified and it took Louis a moment to realize it wasn’t just his nerves this time, but Delphini and Ramone behind him. He took another look at the corridor they were in, then turned around. “What is it?” he demanded, wiping his forehead with the back of a hand. They weren’t even moving that fast and he was sweating and exhausted.

“It’s nothing,” Ramone said.

Delphini shot her fellow doctor a venomous look. “It’s not nothing,” the petite surgeon snapped.

“It is.”

Louis sighed. “Just tell me.”

The civilians exchanged glances. Delphini lost. “I was saying that maybe we should go back to look for Private Hutchins and Sha – Corporal Hayes. Salvador thinks it’s wasted effort.”

“Because they’re dead!” the other doctor suddenly exploded.

“Good job,” Louis only managed not to add ‘asshole’ by reminding himself that Ramone had saved his life. “I don’t think they heard you all the way back at the hospital, though.”

“Sorry,” Ramone mumbled. “But it doesn’t change the fact that they’re gone. We can’t go back.”

“So what? We just leave anyone who falls behind?” Emily snapped at the flushed, panting doctor. He was barely doing as well as Hernandez and the mercenary had the excuse of blood loss and recent surgery. “How long do you want to hold that position?”

“I’m just saying-”

“Shut up, both of you.” Louis snapped, glaring first at Ramone. “I doubt there’s anything alive that can kill Abby,” now was not the time to add she’s too big a bitch to die, “And Hayes isn’t stupid enough to fight a lost cause. They’re alive, mark it.” He shifted his attention back to Delphini. A bit too fast, though; his vision blurred and he had to take a moment to steady himself. “But we’re still not going back. The corporal ordered me to get you two to safety, and that’s what I’m going to do. Both of them know where we’re headed, they know the layout of the station. They’ll be there, mark it.” He took a breath, winded from his little speech. As long as he kept moving, it was easy to focus on that and not his body’s demands for rest. “Our job is to meet them there with a minimum of bitching. Get it? Got it? Good.”

~

Something skittered through the ducts. Something small, with too many feet and far too close for comfort.

Abigail started. “Hell was that?”

Shannon swept a light across a cross-cutting tunnel. Three green eyes gleamed back at her for an instant before their owner dashed around a corner, its many clawed toes clicking frantically on the metal. “Just a duct rat. Looked like a Calain spidermouse.”

Hutchins shuddered. “There are rats in here?”

“There are rats everywhere, Abby. I’d be more surprised if there weren’t any.”

“Yeah, but... rats. In here. With us.” Abigail shivered again. “Fucking things.”

“Oh, you’re not worried about stumbling into some mutated ghoul in the dark, but a frightened spidermouse is what makes you twitch?” Shannon teased. The Darkknell had no qualms about charging a machine gun nest, but bring up scurrying things in general and the idea of ‘rats’ in particular and you’d get the closest thing to dread out of her.

“Look, you grew up on Halo. You didn’t have to deal with rats on a regular basis. Wharf rats, Shannon. Darkknell wharf rats. Beady fucking eyes, twitchy little whiskers and sharp little teeth that liked to gnaw on you when you were asleep. I don’t care if they’re Terran stock, Calain spidermice, Jager liznips or anything else. They’re all fucking rats and need to be sent back to Hell.”

“But their little paws,” Shannon cooed, unable to resist tweaking Abby just a bit more. “Standing up on their hind legs, sniffing.”

“Fuck their little paws and fuck you, sir. Now, which tunnel gets out of these fucking rat-infested vents?”

Shannon smirked under her helmet, nodding towards the shaft the spidermouse had just vanished down. “That one.”

“Aw, fuck.”

~

The door to the crew quarters had been bolted shut from the outside.

“This isn’t encouraging,” Louis mumbled, slumping down on a discarded crate, one of many that had been stacked against the door even after it had been crudely sealed, slabs of metal welded and bolted over the entrance; some of which were obviously hull plates taken from the shuttles and pinnances in the landing bay.

“No, you think?” Ramone began to wind up again. “There’s something in there, something that they didn’t want to get out and you mercs, you want us to go in there...”

Louis tried to muster the energy to reprimand the doctor – this was getting real old, real fast – when Emily interrupted before Ramone could really get himself going. “Shut up, Salvador.”

“What?” Ramone. “Don’t you see this? Don’t you know what it means?”

“It means that there was something in there a long time ago. Look at those welds; look at the bolts. They’ve started to rust. Primal’s crew didn’t do this – it’s been sealed like this for decades. Maybe longer. If there was anything in there, it died or escaped long ago. There’s even no guarantee that there actually was something inside. A bunch of crazies could have done this for God-knows-why. Until we check the other entrances, we don’t even know if this was some attempt at a ‘quarantine’. Or you think that whoever did this would go to all the trouble of sealing up one door, but leaving all the others working?”

Louis wanted to applaud. Ramone bit his lip as he worked his way through his companion’s logic. “Yeah,” he finally said with a nod, noticeably calmer. “You’re right. I’m sorry, Emily. I just... sorry.”

The young woman squeezed the older man’s shoulder. “It’s all right. We’re all in this together, but we can’t be losing it every time something weird happens.”

“No, you’re right. Sorry,” Salvador apologized again. He looked over at Louis. “Are you all right, private?”

“Just need a minute to catch my breath,” Hernandez smiled, accepting Emily’s offer of a swig of a high-energy drink. Loot from the small cache of Primal’s supplies back in the hospital. “Then we can see about this ‘quarantine’.” He smiled a little wider. “Ten creds says the crazy girl and her smart-ass friend are waiting inside for us.”

Emily grinned back, brushing some of Louis’s sweat-slick hair up off his forehead. “You’re on.”

None of them mentioned, or even looked at, the age-faded letters that someone had spray-painted across the makeshift seals. Just another warning in a never-ending series of them. But backed up by the obvious effort someone had made to seal off the crew decks of the upper north arm, it was a bit more poignant than most.

DON’T COME IN HERE

IT CAN HEAR YOU
Spoiler

White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Re: All the little lost boys and girls (Update: 18/04/10)

Post by White Haven »

It lives! And no, you're not the only one, heheh, I was just wondering where you'd gone a couple days ago. Great to see this continuing, sometimes you just need to flinch at people getting horribly fucked.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

I take it you've been busy? :mrgreen:
Welcome back.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Great to see the story back!

Yeah, whatever was in there? It's still in there.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Wooohooo!!! Like the denizens of DROP 47 it claws its way out of the grave.

Don't know about the rest of you but that made my week :D
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

My weird shit NSFW
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

kewl, I thought this one died like others I've gotten into over the years.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Bladed_Crescent
Jedi Knight

This was supposed be one short chapter, but there were problems (i.e. two cliffhangers) and so, you get two chapters.

Decompressed storytelling is my Mecca.

In this chapter, we learn that there's lots more creepy station to explore and the third set of DROP 47's denizens make an appearance.

Coming up: It can hear you. It wants you to hear it. Then, the petals close around you...

Chapter 18:

With one good kick, Abigail booted a sheet of grating off the wall, the vent cover clattering over the deck before finally skidding to a stop as it bumped into the far wall. The mercenary remained frozen for several long moments, but there appeared to be no reaction to the noise. Carefully, Hutchins slid out of the vent, keeping her light off and relying on her helmet’s blacklight systems for vision. Shannon followed a moment later. Abigail hid a smile as her ersatz ‘little sister’ came up with her pistol ready; it didn’t waver or shake. At least she’s getting over having that in hand.

Abigail checked her IDS; no sign of movement. She reflexively tapped the side of her helmet, where she’d normally have worn a comm head-set. “Betas Three and Four in the house. Requesting acknowledgement from all friendlies.”

Static.

“I say again, this is Beta Three and Four,” she wasn’t about to reveal their location anymore than broadcasting already did. “Beta Nine, are you there? Delphini, Ramone – answer. Anyone from Kerrigan, acknowledge.” Still nothing.

Hutchins swore. “If we want to hear from anybody else, we need to locate and shut down those jammers.” And I have something in mind for whatever bugged fuckers set them up in the first place.

“The signal’s gotten stronger,” Shannon mused. “Not much, but we’re getting closer to at least one source.”

“Hrrn,” Abigail mused. “Something’s going right for a change... and why did I just say that?”

“Because you’re a masochist,” Shannon mumbled, stepping around her companion and peering into the darkness. It was almost total here, to the point that the mercenaries’ blacklight systems were just about worthless. But there was power. Every so often, there would be a faint gleam from a dying overhead glowpanel. Not helpful to unaided eyesight, but enough to let Shannon and Abigail find their way around without using flashlights and helpfully announcing themselves to whoever or whatever was still here.

They’d come out in an abandoned dormitory; probably for the dockworkers and other lower-ranking personnel. One large room, with 8 bunk beds, all set against the walls. A communal table was set in the middle of the room, with several smaller personal desks and lockers situated between each pair of bunks. Dust covered everything.

The furniture was askew and tipped over as if whoever had lived here had jumped up from whatever they had been doing and rushed out the door. Whatever had happened to the rest of the station, this room had been relatively untouched. Which didn’t mean no one had been here in the interim; the lockers had all been pried open, sometimes violently enough to have damaged their hinges and left scratchmarks on the buckled metal. One of the computer terminals had been the subject of someone’s frustrated rage; its keyboard and monitor screen had been bashed and broken, so furiously that the desk it was set into was badly deformed.

Shannon surveyed the terminals, but none of them were operational and anything else of worth had been stripped from the dorm room long ago, down to the blankets and most of the mattresses.

Hayes ran a finger through the dust. It had been disturbed recently, but otherwise no one had been in this room for a long time. Primal’s crew had come here. The hospital hadn’t been a fluke, then. Shannon didn’t know how she felt about following in the other expedition’s footsteps. They were more likely to find something to help them, but by the same token Primal and Alpha Company had clearly been unable to... not survive; a lot of them had. Then, what? Last? Endure?

“We made good time on Nine and the others,” Abigail opined as she poked one of the leftover mattresses with one finger. It was marred with splotches of an increasingly-familiar colour and the synthetic fabric, six centuries old, simply crumbled under her touch, leaving a hole in the mattress.

The corporal nodded. Although travelling through the creatures’ preferred territory had been nerve-wracking, it had been without incident. Provided that Louis and the doctors had had a similarly uneventful journey, they should be arriving soon. “Let’s take a look around in the meantime, then.” She consulted the map on her HUD, overlaying the data from the hospital’s computer with it. Someone had added information to this map, symbols and nonsense verses.

In fact, the entire section that they were in glowed red, a single warning overlaid on the schematic of the crew quarters: FLYTRAP. “A quick look around,” Shannon amended.

“Yeah,” Abigail nodded. “I think that works for me too.”

~

“We’re almost there!”

The girl had been saying that for the last ten minutes. Jeremy wasn’t quite convinced of that, but at least she seemed to know where she was going. He had some misgivings about following her – she was leading him further away from the hangar, not any closer to it – but he had nowhere else to go. If there was anyone else here, they might be able to help him find the rest of his people.

Of course, they might not be any better company than the Primal’s crew. The fact that they were willing to let their children run around alone and armed was certainly not a good sign. Of course, letting them run around unarmed isn’tt really any better, is it, Jeremy? Besides, merc he might be, but the idea of turning his back on a child just didn’t sit well. Even if she was clearly capable of surviving in this hellhole.

St. Cloud’s companion still clutched the filthy knife in one hand as she tugged on his arm pointedly. “Almost there! Hurry, hurry up!”

His shoulder ached. No matter how much he didn’t want to admit that his injury had slowed him down, it had been an effort to keep up with his guide. Luckily, she’d seemed to recognize that and taken his hand at a more sedate – if just as determined – pace winding through corridors and passageways until the major was thoroughly lost.

“Where are we going?” he tried for the fifth time. On the walls, someone had smeared streaks of paint back and forth as if desperately trying to cover something up. He tried to pause to get a better look at the shapes underneath the slap-dash censorship, but the girl tugged on his arm.

“Hurry! Home!” she shouted. “Home! We’re almost there!”

~

Shannon was exploring the crew section; this deck had obviously seen better days. But then, that was an obvious understatement, wasn’t it? It didn’t seem as if anyone had used this area for a long time. That was... unusual. The crew section provided beds, it was convenient to several other areas and while intended for large volumes of through traffic, could be made suitably defensible in a pinch.

So why was it abandoned? Other people had used it. There were discarded bits and pieces pointing to that. In one room, she’d found a plastic stick of Hunnigan’s deodorant; they’d only been founded a hundred and twenty years ago. In another, Abigail had found a discarded pistol, jammed and dropped in panic or frustration. A Remington 550b, she’d told Shannon. Only introduced to the market some eighty-odd years ago, still used today. This one had been neglected for several decades. With some care, it could be serviceable again. There was also the changes in the way the dust had settled, confirming her initial theory: something else had come through here. Several days ago, perhaps longer than that.

The young woman swept her flashlight over a darkened dead-end hallway, giving her blacklight a little more illumination. She read the words ‘ELTORAY SHIPPING CONCERN’ stamped on the side of a large industrial goods pallet that had been somehow squeezed into the end of the hall. There were crates from different organizations – some she recognized, others she didn’t – littered about, stacked up in the storage rooms, or left in the hall. Like this one, several large pallets had just been braced against the walls, seemingly randomly. So, this place had been used, by different groups at different times. And none of them were here, nor had been for a long time. “What are you hiding?” Shannon demanded quietly of the station. “Tell me.”

As if in answer, she found it. A datapad from one of Primal’s people. From the dust covering it, it had been discarded a few days ago. The screen was cracked, but it was still functional. Shannon booted it up and selected a journal entry at random.

A woman’s face appeared on the screen, rendered in the ‘padcam’s low-light setting – greens and greys. Her collar identified her as someone from Hadley-Wright’s bioscience division, but Shannon didn’t recognize her. As the woman talked, she scratched at her temples, as if trying to root out a persistent itch. Her lips were cracked and bleeding and she licked them constantly.

Researcher’s log, Amanda Barnes. Entry 917.

It’s been 4 days since
Primal was locked down. We can’t get back in – Shelby won’t open it up. He won’t even take our damn comms! And when he does... he’s gone. If he doesn’t babble on about ‘infection’ and ‘quarantine’, then he just screams at us, tells us we’re not getting in. That asshole Veers! This is all his fault for being stupid enough to... and now the whole ship’s infected! Idiot!

The woman looked over her shoulder. Some of the mercenaries are watching over us until our rescue gets here. We’re trying to find some place to bunker down and I guess it’s time to move out again.

Shannon played the next entry.

Researcher’s log, Amanda Barnes. Entry 918.

We have to get out of here. It’s not safe. These things... they’re everywhere. We can’t go anywhere. We made it to the crew quarters in the north arm, but just barely. We lost Higgins and Rotherford. It took some time, but we found an open door. Someone tried to seal this place up! I don’t know why, though. It’s completely empty. Johnson and Daniels – thank God for them! – are confirming that, but so far...

I think... I think we’re okay for now.

Frowning, Shannon selected another one.

In this entry, Barnes had a prominent, recently-healed scar cutting across her lips. Her fingers were buried in her hair, scratching at her scalp. Researcher’s log, Amanda Barnes. Entry 928.

Singh is gone.

I don’t know how; she went to check the lower crew deck for more batteries and she didn’t come back. We sent down people to look for her, but there was no trace. Just her torch on the floor, still on. I... I don’t think it’s safe here anymore. I want to get out of here, but the others aren’t listening to me.

They never listen to me.

Shannon was about to move on to another log, when Abigail’s voice crackled in her ears. “I have movement.”

~

This was the third door and if it didn’t pan out, then Louis was wholly prepared to say ‘fuck it’ to the crew quarters. Luckily, fate appeared to have smiled on them; this barricade hadn’t held.

It was easy to see why, though. Someone had blown it open from the inside.

“See?” Delphini said. “I told you – whatever was in there got out a long time ago.”

Louis frowned. It had taken him several moments to realize the blast had come as an attempt to get out, not as any effort to get in, and he spent time around people who did this for a living. How did a doctor- No, he ordered himself to chop off that train of thought. That’s buggy thinking, Louis. You’re not all there and any idiot can see the blast for themselves. Settle. He took a deep breath, equal parts calming and restorative. “Okay, then. Let’s take a look inside.” He stepped through the blown hatch, sweeping his flashlight down the hallway. Nothing.

Not about to take that for granted, he ushered the doctors in behind him, keeping a wary eye – and ear – out for any possible attackers. A flicker of movement caught his eye, something shifting around a corner up ahead, trying to hide. He just barely caught its movement in his eyepiece. “Careful,” he said. “I think we’ve got something up here...”

“Jesus Christ!” a familiar and welcome voice burst into the squad channel. “That’s just you, Hernandez.”

“Hutchins?”

“No shit, asshole. Put the pistol down. Fuck, I thought you might been off Primal.” The shape he’d seen up ahead stepped back into the open, followed by a second; two figures in body armour, one with a carbine, the other clutching a heavy pistol. “Ever heard of announcing yourself?”

Louis smiled and suppressed a whoop. “Told you they’d be here,” he said proudly to the civilians. “Ten credits, Delphini.” Back at his comrades: “Never thought I’d be so happy to hear that Darkknell drawl, Hutchins. Good to see you too, corporal.” He reached out and took Abigail’s hand, the woman pulling him close and thumping him on the back. It hurt, but he managed to suppress a wince. “How the hell’d you get here so fast?” Louis asked. “Every door we found was barricaded like they were trying to pen a fucking dragon in here.”

“Came in through the vents,” the tech replied. “Not the original plan, but we had some... motivation.”

Louis nodded. “I bet. I heard whatever-the-fuck-it-was screaming three full sections off. I’m just glad it didn’t get you and,” he chuckled, “even gladder it didn’t come after us. But it’s damn good to see you both here.”

Shannon nodded. “Likewise – how are you holding up?”

“Could be better,” Hernandez admitted. “Could be worse, too. You all did a bang-up job on me, but I’m mobile and not coughing up blood. That’s got to count as a win, right?”

“Fuck yes,” Abigail agreed. “We need every win we can pull out of this station’s asshole, too.”

“What, you’re saying I’m a piece of shit?” Louis replied, mock-offended.

Abigail shrugged. “If the shoe fits...”

“Bitch.”

“Asshole.”

As Louis and Abby bickered, Shannon looked Emily and Ramone over. Neither doctor appeared worse for wear and she reached out to squeeze the other woman’s shoulder. “How are you doing?”

Emily put her hands on Shannon’s vambrace. “As good as I can be, I guess. You?”

“Same.” Shannon smiled, though Emily couldn’t see the gesture. She turned back to the other three, giving Ramone a respectful nod. “You did good, doctor.”

He nodded back, but his expression was distant, not altogether focused. “Thanks.”

Shannon held out the datapad she’d found. “Records from Primal. One of their groups made it here; it’s possible we might find supplies here, or other survivors.”

“Or something else,” Ramone muttered.

“Or something else,” Shannon agreed. “We could cover more ground if we split up, but two of us aren’t armed and the other’s walking wounded. Frankly, if something is in here with us, that’s just asking for trouble and if it isn’t, we’ve got the time to kill to do this right. We’ll go through this area floor by floor. No one wanders off. I don’t care what you see off in the distance, or just around a corner. You two,” she ordered the doctors, “stay in sight of someone with a gun and never, ever go anywhere or without one of us knowing about it or clearing the area first.” She nodded back towards the crew quarters. “Let’s go.”

~

There were circles under Barnes’s eyes and fewer scratchmarks; this was one of the first entries she’d made after Primal reached DROP 47: ...entry 915.

God! God, what
are they? Where are they coming from? There’s just so many of them and they don’t die. They pull themselves back together, lurch back up and come after you again. Daniels, Clarke and Hyuzuki tried to hold them off, but... Daniels barely escaped. I could hear the other two screaming as they were pulled apart...

Shannon knelt beside a hole in the bulkhead. Metal strips had been broken and bent backwards, wall plates had been deformed and pushed to one side, structural supports deformed and bowed as something had forced its way out. There was a foul stench emanating from the hole. The metal in front of the breach was – of course – stained with dried blood, as was some of the deformed hull plating, indicating where an unfortunate victim had been skewered or sliced by the metal shards.

Amanda’s face was crisscrossed with welts from constant scratching and her eyes kept darting away from the camera: ...entry 929.

How did we miss this? Daniels found it – a hole in the wall. In the
wall. Not coming from a broken vent, but right through the bulkhead. The metal’s been peeled back – something broke through it, from the crawlspaces into the decks. There’s blood everywhere. What happened here?

It looks like someone moved a heavy cargo pallet in front of the hole. It must have shifted, or Singh must have moved it – maybe she was trying to see what gear was inside. And-and then... Daniels and the other mercs have moved the pallet back. But it’s occurring to me... there’s a lot of those pallets down here. I can’t look at one without thinking about what might be behind it.

Shannon touched a finger to the scraps of cloth affixed to the metal plates. Nothing she recognized; there was too little left for that. A handful of bullet casings had rolled off to the side, resting against the wall, complementing the small spattering of marks on the bulkhead, the result of wild, panicked firing.

She passed her flashlight over the metal in front of the hole, careful not to step in front of it. There were scratchmarks in the deck. Long and deep (digging into the deck as their owner was pulled in), shallow and short (scratching and scrabbling for purchase; failing at it). Something had found prey here. More than once.

Flytrap.

Disquieted, Shannon stood, canting her head towards Abigail. “Let’s keep moving,” she said, selecting another of the journal entries.

The cut on Barnes’s lips was fresh here. She was shaking: ...entry 925.

Larmont is dead. Shelby won’t make it through the night.
The woman paused to take a breath.

We’re not alone here.

I mean... I know we weren’t. But there’s other people here. Survivors from the other ships. How long have they...? I don’t know. Years. Decades. This place... it got to them, just like it’s getting to us.
She held up a piece of paper in trembling hands; sketched on it was a crude representation of a knife. You see this? You see it? You stay away from it! Don’t go near it! Don’t go near them!

~

This is a bad idea.

The massive blast door rolled upon on its tracks, drawing back into the bulkhead, casting a warm orange glow into the hallway. The girl let go of St. Cloud’s hand and bounced ahead of him through the door, past the pair of sentinels posed on either side of the opening. Covered head to toe in mismatched rags, all that could be seen of them was pale, ghoulish fingers that clutched the grips of their crude rifles intently, holding them warily, but not directing them at their visitor. Yet, anyways.

Jeremy stood there for a moment, looking between each of the sentries. He couldn’t even tell if they were male or female. He thought he saw the glint of their eyes under their ragged hoods, but it could have been his imagination. They made no attempt to talk to him, simply staring at the newcomer. “Well, since you were so kind to invite me,” he said aloud. “I guess it’d be rude not to RSVP.”

There was no response; aside from a slight canting of the left one’s head, there wasn’t even any indication that they’d heard him. Or understood, he reminded himself. But then, the girl knew Standard...

“Alive,” one of the sentries finally said, rasping the word as if were Jeremy’s name.

This again? “Yeah,” St. Cloud nodded. “I’m alive.”

The man – Jeremy thought it was a man – stepped towards him, towering over the shorter mercenary. Despite himself, St. Cloud felt his nostrils clench at the man’s rank odour. Warm breath washed over his face, smelling like rotten food only recently – and insufficiently – rinsed with something alcoholic. “Not turning?”

The major didn’t back down. “Turning into what?” he demanded.

His interrogator didn’t answer, merely looking over at his fellow ragged sentinel. “Alive,” he said. “New.” He twitched his head back towards the girl, who waited impatiently a few meters away. “Follow, new one.”

“Yeah? And why should I do that?”

“Came this far for something,” the guard observed, his breathing getting heavier as if stringing even this many words together was physically taxing. “Can always go back.” Jeremy got the distinct impression that, somewhere under the body-shrouding robe of rags the guard was wearing, there was a smile. He doubted it was a pleasant sort of smile.

I came this far. Cautiously, St. Cloud stepped inside the door. It began to grind closed behind him. “Over here!” he saw the girl up ahead, waving him on. Wiping the sweat off his forehead, St. Cloud continued into the... what? Enclave? Barracks? Camp? This is a really bad idea, his inner voice nagged at him incessantly. But I don’t have a better one. Bravado aside, he was injured and alone. Without the radio, he’d be limited to wandering aimlessly around in the dark. Not the best plan. If these people – if he could trust him, if they would trust him – were willing to help, he could use the help. Provided they were willing to help. Provided he didn’t have to shoot his way back out.

Not his best plan. But it had better odds then stumbling around until exhaustion and blood loss took him down, relying on sheer, dumb luck to find his people.

The guards didn’t bother to follow him, nor was he given any other form of escort through the encampment. One way or another, they didn’t think it was necessary. Still, he was grateful for the presence of his shotgun all the same. He was willing to make a leap of faith, but Betsy would be there to catch him. Just in case.

Men and women huddled by fires like street vagrants, turning their heads towards him and following him with their eyes. They, like the guards and the girl, were dressed in whatever scraps were available, although unlike the sentries, they were not completely concealed by their tatters. He still couldn’t see their faces; each of them was wearing a mask. Gas-masks and rebreathers made up a good portion of those. They weren’t even doing their owners any good; more than one mask was obviously punctured or broken, despite the slaps of fabric, sealant and tape on them. Others – a relative handful – wore more elaborate masks. Some were simple, little more than Halloween trappings. Others were ornate enough to have served at any fine ball, if you ignored the discolouration and damage years of neglect had heaped upon them.

St. Cloud had no idea how they’d even come across such things.

A young women, naked to the waist, was nursing a scrawny, twitching infant as she stared after St. Cloud. The ventilator on her gas mask whooshed and clicked with each breath. As he passed, she clutched the child in her arms tightly and hissed warningly.

Something he thought was another woman, despite her form-covering ragged cloak and hood, lay against a wall, beneath a vent spewing warm air, pale hands propped against her knees, a rifle cradled in her lap. Ever so slightly, her head canted to watch him as he moved by.

A child, perhaps a few years older than St. Cloud’s guide, had both hands clutched around some dripping gobbet of meat, gnawing on it like a feral animal. Beneath a broken rebreather, wary eyes watched the mercenary.

A man, tall for the malnourished group, rasped a whetstone over a custom-honed blade; the size of a sword, but thick and heavy and only possessing one sharpened edge. He wore a chipped plastic, colour-washed visage of a smiling face – a theatrical jester’s helm. St. Cloud could see the glint of metal around the edges, where the clown’s face had been lain over something to reinforce the thin plastic. This man stared at Jeremy, mumbling something under his breath as he continued to sharpen the ugly cleaver.

The major’s fingers tapped against the grip of his shotgun, once again thankful for its comforting weight. How long have you been here? he wondered. Trapped in this place...

The walls were covered in script; some of it was legible, but only some – it quickly deteriorated into cuneiform that had only the barest relationship to its original language. He could pick out the occasional repeating symbol, but had no idea what any of it meant. He doubted there was any real meaning to it – once the only outlet these damned souls had to pass on messages, now decayed into gibberish.

Finally, the girl led him to an open space – he had no idea what this room had originally been purposed for, but now it was some sort of crude amphitheater. Sitting on a chair in the middle of a raised dais was another figure, his face covered entirely by his mask. It had begun life as some sort of costume party accessory; a ceramic, generalized representation of a rabbit. It should have been comical. It wasn’t. Both ears had been broken off; the right about a fifth of the way up. The left had been separated closer to the base, but a healthy amount of glue had sealed it back in place, though it was also missing the very tip of the ear. There was a spiderweb of cracks that radiated across half of the mask, centered around what was clearly a bullet hole just below the left eye. The hole itself had been filled in, a thin layer of glue? paint? smeared over the cracks, but they still showed through.

The figure was well-dressed, at least for this group. He wore a filthy suit, perhaps intended for the same purpose as the mask, and just as ruined. Stained, ripped and sewn back together time and again, its finery stripped over months? years? Decades? of violence. The sleeves were rolled up, and Rabbit Mask’s hands rested against the arms of his ‘throne’, which had begun life as the pilot’s seat from one craft or another and was now bedecked with crude decorations – bits and pieces from various devices, shrapnel and even the odd small bone.

At the girl’s approach, Rabbit Mask rose smoothly to his feet, staring out at St. Cloud through the eyeholes in his debased costume.

The girl bowed. “Father,” she whispered, sweeping both her arms back to indicate St. Cloud. “Look what I found!”

The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Well, this was unexpected. So the survivors of previous arrivals have been reduced to hiding in that section of the station for their entire lives? Not a fun life.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

I have this deepening suspicion that St Cloud might just wind up as the main course.

My weird shit NSFW
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

At least his gun is better. But fighting his way back out of that place doesn't look easy. And knowing DROP 47, it just might attract some unwanted attention.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Well, I have a couple questions. First, is Nurgle involved in this? If you have the IOM, then Chaos can't be too far behind. Second, Is there ANY possibility of escape for the suriviors? Nice job, and FYI, don't listen to Thriller while reading this.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Night_stalker wrote:Well, I have a couple questions. First, is Nurgle involved in this? If you have the IOM, then Chaos can't be too far behind. Second, Is there ANY possibility of escape for the suriviors? Nice job, and FYI, don't listen to Thriller while reading this.
Err . . . wait, what? Did you post to the right thread? Last I checked, this wasn't a WH40K fic.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Albuquerque is that way, chief. :wink:
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

He mentioned Imperium of Man last I checked in the story. If not then my bad.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Uh Crescent I think you created way too big a universe here for just one story. This is like what Pandorum should have been, with Drop 47 replacing the space ship, and badass Merc's a la Aliens replacing Sir Bowen.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok