The art of Titles

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Warspite
Jedi Council Member

The art of Titles

Post by Warspite »

How do you come up with a title for a story?

Me, I hold on until the whole story is finished, before even thinking about it.
In the meantime, while I'm writing, I just give it the most bland names, like A1, or XY, just so I don't become too attached at a certain name, until it is completely finished.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Most of the time, yes, my stories do not have titles until they are finished or most of the way finished. although, if I have an idea of where it's going, I can sometimes come up with a title.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I usually come up with the title first or early on while I'm writing the story.

Painted Skies was titled I think about a day before I actually started writing it.

I came up with the title for my Evangelion fanfic pretty much first thing, and I tried several variations until I found something I thought was appropriately Eva-ish:
Neon Genesis Evangelion
The End of Evangelion
Final: From Her Heart

Which reminds me that I need to get off my ass and start working on it again... :roll: Maybe I need more motivation.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

I don't. :D

If your having trouble, then just wait till you've got about half way through (or at least know where it's going) and then decide.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I titled my stories before I wrote them. I did spend some time thinking about them...

For those who don't know I have a stalled series of writings called Blaze of Glory, Honor Bound and Courage Unbroken...and I'm not sure the story's going where I want it to go. I've thought about restarting several times or just finishing it...
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

I come up with the titles for my game designs using the same process all games get their names: The Dart Board Method. :mrgreen:
Nothing beats a random variation of Verb + Noun, while the subtitle is Adjetive + Noun, it's almost like madlibs. Watch:

Burning Steel: Silent Visions

That one took about 10 seconds to come up with, or 7-8 shots on the proverbial Dart board. :lol:
By His Word...
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Good way to come up with band names too Uts :)
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Titles are tricky, usually I have a title right away but sometimes they change or evolve as I start thinking more about the story. Oringinally my new fic was going to be called Armageddon by Starlight, but I settled on the Twilight War as it was much better and fit the two universes better.

But usually I want to have the title before I write a word. It helps me focus and tells me what the story should be about.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Dalton wrote:Good way to come up with band names too Uts :)
I prefer Strong Bad's method.

Limozeen!! :lol:
By His Word...
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I usually associate it with the actual storyline like Banks does. For me, an unfinished armageddon story which was a remake of WotW was called "The Beginning of the End", then there was a Tenchi crossover called "At the End of Light".

Strangely, I can think of a title or premise by getting inspiration from music, reading or TV and then build from there, but I'm a bugger for completing stories or screenplays.
Last edited by Admiral Valdemar on 2003-02-19 07:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Mine relate to whatever the snippet is about.....I tend mostly to write scenes....usually for some specific purpose or event.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

I try to come up with a single word, or a phrase if the single word doesn't work, that best fits the strongest theme or image of the story.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Coming up with a title can be hard. For my story, I decided to name it after the starfighter flown by the principle characters. Story names should invite interest so they need to be considered carefully.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Word's synonym function is your best friend.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I've actually never successfully titled anything bigger than a chapter. I'm having a hell of time figuring out what to title my current story, but I imagine the perfect title will come to me during an exam or something. :D
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

I come up with titles by just continually going through different names, some good, most bad, until I find one that fits the storyline I'm planning to go with perfectly.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

When I come up with a title is always different. I think about what I want to write, and pick a title that I feel matches the work appropriately. I seriously dislike titles that telegraph suprises in the story, especially ones that telegraph the endings. In my opinion, a title should entice a reader to read the work, giving them a taste of the theme, the style, and so on. Of course, I also like to include little jokes with the titles, things that the reader won't understand until they're partway through the story, so that they read part of the story with one impression of the title in his or her mind, then hit the joke (or tie-in), have a moment of revelation, and then continue reading with renewed appreciation.

Titles that have spoiled the endings/plot twists of a story:

Deus Ex
Indepence War 2: Edge of Chaos

Both enjoyable stories despite this, but nevertheless I would have enjoyed them much more had they been just a touch more creative with the titles.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

When I know what I'm doing with it, a title comes. As for poems, title come, titles go.. I don't always title them.
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005