Harry Potter Fanfic recommendation thread

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Harry Potter Fanfic recommendation thread

Post by ray245 »

While there is a similar thread in SB.com, most of the time, those stories that was submitted seems to be rather childish in my opinion. Given the known history of SB.com, I'm not surprised. Given that most members here tend to be more mature, I'm more willingly to trust the opinion of people down here.

Another reason I am creating this thread at SD.net is because of the fact that some members simply don't go to SB.com , and I think they can enjoy the process of recommending fanfiction to each other as well.

So, I have several decent fanfics, which I think you can enjoy:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4536005/20/Oh_God_Not_Again

Oh God, not Again by Sarah1281.

Basically, another Harry went back in time fic. However,this books followed the events of DH, and this Harry is somewhat happy with the original timeline. This fanfic is rather funny in my opinion.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4457149/1/Last_Chance

Last Chance by Laume

Basically, instead of alienating Tom Riddle when he was young, this Dumbledore basically choose to devote his attention on Riddle.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3879196/1/I ... _and_Weary

In the Clockface, Weighted and Weary

A story where Harry was sent back in time, to a time when Dumbledore is just a kid. This story does deals with problems within the British empire, and all the social and political problems that wizards has to face as an Empire.Spoiler
The British wizards had an army. Not Aurors, an army.
Last edited by ray245 on 2009-02-19 11:41am, edited 1 time in total.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Harry Potter Fanfic recommendation thread

Post by Mr Bean »

Harry Potter Fanfic recommendations?
Who can forget.. MGS:Slytherin Eater

:mrgreen:
Sad to say it never got finished.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4726291/1/Eternal_Return

Eternal Returns:

Is it right to turn yourself into the most evil person possible, just to ensure History will stay on its course? Although Harry is a 'little' OOC in my opinion. More of a moral tale than anything else.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

h++p://www.fanfiction.net/s/2636963/37/Harry_P ... tures_Past

The only one I've ever read. 'A Harry goes back in time' fic. Frelling awesome.
Glimmervoid
Jedi Master
Location: Some were in the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm.

Post by Glimmervoid »

My one current attempt at fanfiction http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4746823/1/H ... ent_of_MI6.
A Harry Potter Marvel Universe crossover.
I really need to get back to working on its sequel, which should explain what is going on or at least give some more hints.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

The Lie I've Lived by jbern.

jbern is a great author in general but this is his best fic by far. Basically James Potter's memories find their way into Harry Potter's head. Awesomeness happens...
EarthScorpion
Padawan Learner

Post by EarthScorpion »

Culture Shock

Dietz Sma, during the study detailed by "The State of the Art" of Earth (bumped forwards in time to make everything fit), gets sent to follow a strange Grid fluctuation the ship picked up. It leads to a small child on a doorstep.

Of course, people who would leave an injured baby on a doorstep are obviously unsuitable to raise a child, so she takes him with her when she leaves Earth. To the Culture. Yes, it turns out having Minds actively interested in a phenomenon that they haven't encountered before really changes things. And having Sma as a motherish-figure and being raised in the Culture really changes things when he gets the letter... :twisted:
See the Anargo Sector Project, an entire fan-created sector for Warhammer 40k, designed as a setting for Role-Playing Games.

Author of Aeon Natum Engel, an Evangelion/Cthulhutech setting merger fan-fiction.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

darthdavid wrote:The Lie I've Lived by jbern.

jbern is a great author in general but this is his best fic by far. Basically James Potter's memories find their way into Harry Potter's head. Awesomeness happens...
Didn't jbern tried to bash several characters such as Molly for instance? Just because you are a over-bearing mother and friend, you deserve to die?
Robo Jesus
Padawan Learner

Post by Robo Jesus »

ray245 wrote:
darthdavid wrote:The Lie I've Lived by jbern.

Didn't jbern tried to bash several characters such as Molly for instance? Just because you are a over-bearing mother and friend, you deserve to die?
jbern wrote:As for the thing with Molly, I'm of this opinion. At the fall of Voldemort in 1981, Molly was Madame Baby Pump - churning out the twins, Ron, and then Ginny all in a short span of time. If she was "all that and a bag of chips" wouldn't she be on the front lines instead of pregnant especially after her brothers were killed?

That's why I don't buy into Kickass!Molly. JKR wanted her "mother bear" moment and she wrote it. I thought it smacked of wretched fanfic writing.

I've tried to block most of the horror that was book 7 from my mind, but right before Molly channels Ellen Ripley isn't Bella fighting Luna, Hermione, and Ginny at the same time? (After killing Tonks. Maybe Bella was just getting tired...)

By that logic Molly>Luna, Hermione, and Ginny combined.

I was so disgusted that right after reading, I started writing the scene in To Fight the Coming Darkness where Molly gets eaten by the horde of Inferi - had to be done.
These are the throughts of the author himself. Also, while he killed (the majority of) the cast in "To Fight The Coming Darkness", he doesn't really go out of his way to 'bash' characters. Portray them in different lights, yeah, but I have never seen him bash the characters he writes. Kill them? Yeah. Show them in a miriad of ways in which they can come off as unlikeable (look at the three different ways he has portrayed Fluer in his stories to see what I mean)? Yeah. Bash them? No.
This is sickening... You sound like chapters from a self-help booklet! Prepare yourselves!
General Soontir Fel
Padawan Learner

Post by General Soontir Fel »

Robo Jesus wrote:These are the throughts of the author himself. Also, while he killed (the majority of) the cast in "To Fight The Coming Darkness", he doesn't really go out of his way to 'bash' characters. Portray them in different lights, yeah, but I have never seen him bash the characters he writes. Kill them? Yeah. Show them in a miriad of ways in which they can come off as unlikeable (look at the three different ways he has portrayed Fluer in his stories to see what I mean)? Yeah. Bash them? No.
Uh-huh. And what would you call making Neville a rapist? I stopped reading "To Fight The Coming Darkness" at that point.
Jesse Helms died on the 4th of July and the nation celebrated with fireworks, BBQs and a day off for everyone. -- Ed Brayton, Dispatches from the Culture Wars

"And a force-sensitive mandalorian female Bountyhunter, who is also the granddaughter of Darth Vader is as cool as it can get. Almost absolute zero." -- FTeik
Robo Jesus
Padawan Learner

Post by Robo Jesus »

General Soontir Fel wrote:Uh-huh. And what would you call making Neville a rapist? I stopped reading "To Fight The Coming Darkness" at that point.
The issue with Neville I think was a slow descent into madness (if I'm remembering things correctly, which I think I am). After all, how many chapters did that take before the shit hit the fan in regards to Neville Spoiler
(from him stealing an item that allowed control over another person, to him using that item in order to get info, to him being tempted to use it in other ways, to him using it to his own ends, to him fucking himself over by his own actions and then deciding "Fuck it" and going out in a homicidal 'blaze of glory')
? :P
This is sickening... You sound like chapters from a self-help booklet! Prepare yourselves!
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

General Soontir Fel wrote:
Robo Jesus wrote:These are the throughts of the author himself. Also, while he killed (the majority of) the cast in "To Fight The Coming Darkness", he doesn't really go out of his way to 'bash' characters. Portray them in different lights, yeah, but I have never seen him bash the characters he writes. Kill them? Yeah. Show them in a miriad of ways in which they can come off as unlikeable (look at the three different ways he has portrayed Fluer in his stories to see what I mean)? Yeah. Bash them? No.
Uh-huh. And what would you call making Neville a rapist? I stopped reading "To Fight The Coming Darkness" at that point.
I would call it a break from his other fics, where he's a neutral presence in one, and a generally positive support in the other. But god forbid an author explore making a character go bad without explicitly clearing it with you first.

In case people hadn't noticed, jbern likes to go different directions with character in his various stories, rather than interminably repeating the same pre-scripted fanon consensuses.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Anyone remember what the name of that one fic where Harry was raised by the Addam's Family was?
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

SylasGaunt wrote:Anyone remember what the name of that one fic where Harry was raised by the Addam's Family was?
There were two that I'm aware of. Family Values, by Ishtar, and Perfect Slytherins, by Jeconais.
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

Some of my favs

A Black Comedy
by nonjon
After winning the war Harry starts researching the Veil to see what happened to Sirius, gets pulled into an alternate world where he died, finds Sirius they descend into a life of debauchery (and criminal enterprise) but get pulled into the war on that world. Starts silly, ends more Sirius :wink:
Also wrote this interesting crossover with Firefly
Browncoat, green eyes

Make a wish
by Rorschach's Blot
Harry decides to live before he dies, goes on vacation in disguise, becomes most feared man on earth, a comedy of other peoples errors. Some even less serious sequels exist.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

DobbyElfLord is the author of two great fics, Altered Destinies and Balancing Destinies. Basic premise, Harry goes back to the 1930s to kill Tom Riddle as an infant to prevent the war, which basicly ended up killing everyone. And it takes off from there. Don't want to give too much.

Stranger Trilogy
Basic Premise: First story, Harry gets kicked to an parrel universe summer after fifth year. In that universe, he's Voldemort's top enforcer, his right hand.
Robo Jesus
Padawan Learner

Post by Robo Jesus »

Agent Fisher wrote:Stranger Trilogy
Basic Premise: First story, Harry gets kicked to an parrel universe summer after fifth year. In that universe, he's Voldemort's top enforcer, his right hand.
Not everyone has access to that Yahoo group, and the author has been gone as of late (in turn making access to that group harder than it should be). Here is the authors FF.net link for those interested.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Ah, I didn't know he had been gone. I was just used to months and months between updates. Edit: And looking at his profile and his Yahoo group, there are way more chapters on the group than on FF.net.
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Does anyone have a link for that Addams Family fic? It sounds fairly interesting.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Teebs
Jedi Master

Post by Teebs »

Master_Baerne wrote:Does anyone have a link for that Addams Family fic? It sounds fairly interesting.
link
Glimmervoid
Jedi Master
Location: Some were in the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm.

Post by Glimmervoid »

Just read this: Hallows and Pathos. It is the best, post DH story I have ever read and, indeed, one of the best stories I have every read.
The summary is:
A mistake by a dying man drives Hermione to obsession as she seeks to unlock the secrets of the Deathly Hallows. Harry, wanting only peace, tries to rid himself of the taint of death. Two friends clash in a tragic struggle for identity and destiny.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

i'll have to second brown coat, green eyes before reading this fic i had only seen trainjob-bushwhacked. this fic convinced me to get the dvds to see more of the 'verse.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Any alternate ending fics? I was a big harry potter fan until the last book, which used contrived magical technobabble with the wands to end the war, introduced a new plot element at the last moment (the Hallows), and basically blew all the character development of Harry and some of the more dickish choices he was making. Oh, and I still want to see Dumbledore in front of the World Court, the sorry old bastard. :evil:

So my question is, has anyone read an alternate ending that was less contrived, less technobabble, and less generally destructive to proceeding character and setting development?
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Any alternate ending fics? I was a big harry potter fan until the last book, which used contrived magical technobabble with the wands to end the war, introduced a new plot element at the last moment (the Hallows), and basically blew all the character development of Harry and some of the more dickish choices he was making. Oh, and I still want to see Dumbledore in front of the World Court, the sorry old bastard. :evil:

So my question is, has anyone read an alternate ending that was less contrived, less technobabble, and less generally destructive to proceeding character and setting development?
Why would you want to see Dumbledore in the world court?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

ray245 wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Any alternate ending fics? I was a big harry potter fan until the last book, which used contrived magical technobabble with the wands to end the war, introduced a new plot element at the last moment (the Hallows), and basically blew all the character development of Harry and some of the more dickish choices he was making. Oh, and I still want to see Dumbledore in front of the World Court, the sorry old bastard. :evil:

Why would you want to see Dumbledore in the world court?
Kind of off-topic, but use of child soldiers. Would those not be grounds for war crimes charges?