How do you guys get around a writer's block?

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Shinova
Emperor's Hand

How do you guys get around a writer's block?

Post by Shinova »

I'm not sure if it's full-fledged writer's block, but I have a fanfic I started a month or a few more ago and I have two more chapters to go. But I never seem to get around to finishing it.

Woe becomes me! :cry:

Anyway, how do you guys get around your writer's blocks?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

If I figured that out I woulndt have thousands of scribbled notepad files....I'd have a full blown story :wink:
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

And additional woe:

I've promised myself to finish this one before I start on stuff I plan to post here.

More woe becomes me!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Enuf whining. :P
What's her bust size!?

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Re: How do you guys get around a writer's block?

Post by Kuja »

Shinova wrote:Anyway, how do you guys get around your writer's blocks?
I do a variety of things.

Listen to music, any kind.
Play video games.
Go for a walk.
Read a book.
Read other fanfics.
Spam the board. :twisted:
Eat something.
Put it aside completely for a while.
Ask for assisstance.
Write down all my ideas for the future on a list and read them over and over.
Write down an outline for what I think I want, and change as I feel like it.
Start another fanfic (this may sound crazy, but I swear to god it works).
Write down random shit.
Watch TV.

I get my ideas from all over, and I never know when one will pop up.
JADAFETWA
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Totally ignore thinking about the story. Thinking too much gives me terrible ideas.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Try something else for a little while. And if you feel like you can't create period, don't. Take a break from writing. Sometimes you have to. Play games, watch more TV, just chat online, things like that.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
desertjedi
Padawan Learner

Post by desertjedi »

I write a little, not Star Wars or Fan Fiction or anything like that, but there are a few things I like to do when the dreaded writer's block rears it's ugly head:
walk away from the whole thing, keep your mind off of it completely by distracting yourself. I love to exercise when I have writer's block, get's the blood flowing, but TV, movies, and music help alot to. Any type of music or movie that sparks an emotional response really helps, whether it's anger or sadness.. the emotion helps alot.

That's just my two cents.. take or leave it...
Just remember to have fun when writing!
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Writers block is best cured y avoiding it in the first place by doing a rough outline of a chapter, then refining it to the point where its a viable chater. That way kind of sucks though, so if you get writers block my advice is "Sandwich, Orange Soda, Cartoons, a nap, then rereading previous works in no particular orders"
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

My way is to put the story back on the shelf for a couple of days watch a few movies, take a walk around the block. Read the newspaper you'd be amazed how many Ideas come from news stories. My hardest thing to come upo with that often gets me stuck is names for new characters. The cure for this one is a good old phone book. Take the Book flip the pages back and forth open it and slam down your finger and that's your first name reapeat for middle and last names if it turns out silly start over.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

For me? Well...I'll usually read some other fanfics or play some video games. Music helps too.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I tend to play something like Hitman 1 or 2 or GTA3.

Release the stress.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I'd reccomend going into some subplot, or introducing new characters. It should eventually take you to the end of the story.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Edi
Dragonlord
Dragonlord

Post by Edi »

Writing some events further along in the story if you have the general outline of what's going to happen when straight, then come back to the blocked part later. and also the variety of methods everyone else suggested.

Edi
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Edi wrote:Writing some events further along in the story if you have the general outline of what's going to happen when straight, then come back to the blocked part later. and also the variety of methods everyone else suggested.

Edi
Works quite well, for me. Granted, near as I can tell, everybody here thinks my work is crap cause they never comment on it, but no matter

*whimpers in corner*

Quite whining, and write better, idiot. As to you Shinova. It helps to get your mind off of the story for some random amount of time. How you do that is up to yourself.

*Composes self*

Working on soimething else, although you have stated you don't want to work on anything else until your done, can help. (Personal experiance)It helped me out. I did "Infinite Fun"</pimp> *Pathetic!* to get my mind off of something else I'm writing. Worked quite well.
Larz
Rabid Monkey

Post by Larz »

Relieve the stress, because stress only makes writers block stay with you, and even become a shadow (to much stress in my life has lead to me forgetting that I was even trying to write a fanfic... I've progressed 1 sentance since December...)

Drink tea, play games, listen to music. Going out on walks and people watching tend to help mental juices to start chugging. Also you could go and look at art, or a mueseum, or something like that. Looking at new and interesting things really helps to break apart mental rigidness.
"Once again we wanted our heroes to be simple, grizzled everymen with nothing to lose; one foot in the grave, the other wrapped in an American flag and lodged firmly in a terrorist's asshole."

Brotherhood of the Monkey: Nonchalant Disgruntled Monkey
Justice League
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

they say writers block happens when a writer doesnt know where or why he is at that point of the story. I suggest you go back and find out why you put the characters into that situation, because if theyre there for a reason, they should do whatever it is theyre meant to be doing.
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

A glass of Jack on the rocks and a cigarette usually clear the blockage out of my brain. This may not, however, be an ideal solution for you.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Hit your head on the nearest metal object around oh...3 times, take an advil, and start writing. Works for me everytime. :D
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

Ignore it. I find writing poetry soothes my muses, so to speak, an I can then write later.
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Get off my ass and actually start writing again.

Which reminds me... :roll:
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Captain_Cyran wrote:Hit your head on the nearest metal object around oh...3 times, take an advil, and start writing. Works for me everytime. :D
Were looking for "Cures for writers block" not "Easy ways to cause brain damage."
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

I got around that "block" by the way. Thanks for everything, peoples.
What's her bust size!?

kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

how'd you do it shino?
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

kojikun wrote:how'd you do it shino?
It wasn't actually a block, per se. The hard part was actually starting on the next segment.

Once I finally got to just getting to the work, I got it finished.

That fic's finally done! MUHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! Now I get to go rake in the reviews again!! :mrgreen: (Course this is in Fanfiction.net, which isn't high-class, but anyway)
What's her bust size!?

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Alcohol and freewriting.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!