Armageddon???? - Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Locked
User avatar
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.
Posts: 4191
Joined: 2002-12-24 03:11pm
Location: Burlington, Canada

Post by SCRawl » 2008-08-21 03:55pm

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Fleet Admiral JD wrote:Stewart--I'd be happy to grammar-Nazi/edit the book as well if you'd like. Anything I can do to contribute, really! :)
Back off, you! I edit the books! *throws chair, cracks whip* :P
*dodges chair*

Isn't there room for more than one copy editor here? What one person might miss, another might find, yes?

Just to throw my hat in the ring -- in case it's wanted -- I used to do copy editing and typesetting for the university newspaper, back when I was a student. (Being the only science student on the staff, I was also sent to report on everything marginally connected with science, but that's another story.)
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.

User avatar
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 70027
Joined: 2002-07-03 12:25am
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Post by Darth Wong » 2008-08-21 04:45pm

Stuart wrote:Something like this perhaps? (The picture has to be public domain)/

Image
That's cool, although as you say, we would need to use a public domain picture of Satan instead of just grabbing the first hit off Google Image, or get an artist to draw it up. But it would be pretty easy to get an artist to draw up a Satan picture that looks generally like that one, which I think sets the right tone.

There's also some question as to what the background would look like. Flat red might work, but it also might work to have a "city in flames" background with recognizably modern skyscrapers in view, perhaps hand-drawn in an oil-painting style. Just to make it punchier and show that potential reader that we're talking about an attempted demon invasion of Earth, not a clone of Doom.
Image
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html

User avatar
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee
Posts: 15746
Joined: 2003-05-06 02:36am
Location: Deep beneath Boatmurdered.
Contact:

Post by CaptainChewbacca » 2008-08-21 05:09pm

You know, Armageddon is really something. Its a collaborative book written in (and shaped by) public discourse, and debated and directed as it is being written.

Perhaps it should include an acknowledgement to 'The Internet' in the front cover 8)
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage

User avatar
Kie99
Redshirt
Posts: 20
Joined: 2008-03-07 08:33pm

Post by Kie99 » 2008-08-21 05:37pm

I don't like the font in that Cover. I think something like

THE SALVATION WAR
ARMAGEDDON


(The two lines being of equal length)

Might work better?

Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4736
Joined: 2005-05-18 01:31am

Post by Adrian Laguna » 2008-08-21 08:06pm

Don't people usually read top to bottom? If the book has:

The Salvation War
ARMAGEDDON

Then people will think the title is "The Salvation War: Armageddon"

User avatar
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814
Posts: 3767
Joined: 2005-03-23 05:31pm

Post by TimothyC » 2008-08-21 08:08pm

SCRawl wrote:Isn't there room for more than one copy editor here? What one person might miss, another might find, yes?
Stuart has more than one editor already if I'm not mistaken.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev

User avatar
Stuart
Sith Devotee
Posts: 2935
Joined: 2004-10-26 09:23am
Location: The military-industrial complex

Post by Stuart » 2008-08-21 09:29pm

Adrian Laguna wrote:Don't people usually read top to bottom? If the book has:

The Salvation War
ARMAGEDDON

Then people will think the title is "The Salvation War: Armageddon"
That's right. The next one will be The Salvation War: Pantheocide and the last The Salvation War: The Lords Of War
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others

Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4736
Joined: 2005-05-18 01:31am

Post by Adrian Laguna » 2008-08-21 09:31pm

Stuart wrote:That's right. The next one will be The Salvation War: Pantheocide and the last The Salvation War: The Lords Of War
Oh, I thought that title was Armageddon: The Salvation War. I just went back and re-read your posts carefully, turns out I was putting the words in the wrong order.

EdBecerra
Padawan Learner
Posts: 238
Joined: 2008-07-08 02:07am
Contact:

Post by EdBecerra » 2008-08-21 09:33pm

Stuart wrote:That's right. The next one will be The Salvation War: Pantheocide and the last The Salvation War: The Lords Of War
Am I understanding the last word of that first title correctly? Pantheocide = All gods killed (or dead)?

If so, sounds like major bad news coming along for Yahweh...

Ed.
Edward A Becerra

User avatar
Wyrm
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2206
Joined: 2005-09-02 01:10pm
Location: In the sand, pooping hallucinogenic goodness.

Post by Wyrm » 2008-08-21 09:44pm

Stuart wrote:That's right. The next one will be The Salvation War: Pantheocide and the last The Salvation War: The Lords Of War
You already got a third book brewing in the cauldron?! :shock: (Is LoW an aftermath kind of thing?)
Darth Wong on Strollers vs. Assholes: "There were days when I wished that my stroller had weapons on it."
wilfulton on Bible genetics: "If two screaming lunatics copulate in front of another screaming lunatic, the result will be yet another screaming lunatic. 8)"
SirNitram: "The nation of France is a theory, not a fact. It should therefore be approached with an open mind, and critically debated and considered."

Cornivore! | BAN-WATCH CANE: XVII | WWJDFAKB? - What Would Jesus Do... For a Klondike Bar? | Evil Bayesian Conspiracy

User avatar
Stormbringer
King of Democracy
Posts: 22678
Joined: 2002-07-15 11:22pm

Post by Stormbringer » 2008-08-21 10:24pm

Zor wrote:
NecronLord wrote:I think the implication is that Yahweh has a weather dominator, yes.
If that is the case, Yahweh has at his disposal what is effectively a massively devistating superweapon. Envision New York, London, Tokyo, St Peter'sburg and other such coastal Cities being hit by Hurricane after Hurricane or Rainfall over the world's breadbaskets being halted.

Zor
Possible but they're talking about diverting it, not creating it out of whole cloth. That's a vastly different thing and would be far less complicated to manage.
Image

User avatar
Mayabird
Storytime!
Posts: 5970
Joined: 2003-11-26 04:31pm
Location: IA > GA
Contact:

Post by Mayabird » 2008-08-21 10:55pm

EdBecerra wrote:
Guardsman Bass wrote:Unless angels (and presumably whatever type of being Yahweh happens to be) can have at least an infertile child with a human woman, how would Yahweh have a son (Jesus) without there being at least a few angelic females? The former wouldn't surprise me (that he'd be breaking his own rules), if possible.
Uhm... wasn't something mentioned about giants being the children of human women and angels?

Lemme see - I think I've got a copy of KJV on my hard drive..

Ah. Genesis, chapter 6.
6:1 When mankind1 began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born2 to them,3 6:2 the sons of God4 saw that the daughters of mankind were beautiful. Thus they took wives for themselves from any they chose. 6:3 So the Lord said, “My spirit will not remain in5 mankind indefinitely,6 since7 they8 are mortal.9 They10 will remain for one hundred and twenty more years.”11

6:4 The Nephilim12 were on the earth in those days (and also after this),13 when the sons of God were having sexual relations with14 the daughters of mankind, who gave birth to their children.15 They were the mighty heroes16 of old, the famous men.17
So, if there's any truth to that (in context of this story, that is), yeah, there's a severe problem behind the Divine throne.

On top of that, humanity get ripped off of its previous relatively long lives (Gen. 6-3), simply because a few angels couldn't control their sexual urges. (Or their precious bodily fluids.. now I have this image of the bombing of the portals with Slim Pickens riding one of the experimental devices down into the calderas...)

Wonder if this'll be an important plot point or not...

Ed.
Continuation of my idea about the angels not being allowed to procreate: we could be talking about some seriously, seriously sexually repressed folks here, on the levels of the Muslim men who have sex with goats, camels, sheep, or whatever else is walking around (if you saw the thread, you know what I'm talking about). The "animal" equivalent for the horny messed-up angels might very well be human women.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.

User avatar
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master
Posts: 1400
Joined: 2007-04-02 12:02pm
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by Darth Ruinus » 2008-08-21 11:10pm

Sorry, but the pics of Satan getting shot made me draw some sketches.

Image

^ Front

Image

^ Back

And then of course the title and description thing goes in the big blank space.
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.

User avatar
Mayabird
Storytime!
Posts: 5970
Joined: 2003-11-26 04:31pm
Location: IA > GA
Contact:

Post by Mayabird » 2008-08-21 11:18pm

Classy. I like 'em. What saith the crowd and author?
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.

User avatar
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican
Posts: 16465
Joined: 2002-07-11 07:59pm
Location: Delaware
Contact:

Post by RedImperator » 2008-08-21 11:46pm

Mayabird wrote:Classy. I like 'em. What saith the crowd and author?
I really like it. I wouldn't even color it or replace the silhouettes. It's effective and eye-catching. I'd clean up the figures so they're a little crisper (though I think it would work really well if they're still recognizably "sketchy"). Also, perhaps rotate the front cover horizontally so the demons are facing to the left? That way, the whole book jacket becomes a single composition. Add the title in a nice font and you're done. By comparison, the "Satan in the crosshairs" idea just seems silly. Frankly, if I saw a book with a picture of Satan in a set of crosshairs on the cover, I'd laugh and walk away.
Image
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues

User avatar
Stormbringer
King of Democracy
Posts: 22678
Joined: 2002-07-15 11:22pm

Post by Stormbringer » 2008-08-22 12:15am

Darth Ruinus wrote:Sorry, but the pics of Satan getting shot made me draw some sketches.

And then of course the title and description thing goes in the big blank space.
Those look good, really good.

Would you have any objection if I used those for a possible cover?



Stuart:

Do you have a back cover blurb written yet?
Image

User avatar
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish
Posts: 9281
Joined: 2002-07-07 12:01am
Location: Beneath the Deepest Sea

Post by Guardsman Bass » 2008-08-22 12:19am

I wonder - with a title like "The Salvation War: Armageddon", do you think you'll get a lot of fundie-types who will buy it, expecting an apocalyptic Christian novel, and be in for a rather interesting surprise? Obviously not if you make the back blurb explicit enough, but still . ..
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard


"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood

User avatar
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master
Posts: 1400
Joined: 2007-04-02 12:02pm
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by Darth Ruinus » 2008-08-22 12:25am

Stormbringer wrote:Those look good, really good.

Would you have any objection if I used those for a possible cover?
Sure, go ahead. Hell, I'd be honored.

Ahahahahaha. Hell.
Guardsman Bass wrote:I wonder - with a title like "The Salvation War: Armageddon", do you think you'll get a lot of fundie-types who will buy it, expecting an apocalyptic Christian novel, and be in for a rather interesting surprise? Obviously not if you make the back blurb explicit enough, but still . ..
That would be soo awesome and very funny.
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.

User avatar
ray245
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 7760
Joined: 2005-06-10 11:30pm

Post by ray245 » 2008-08-22 12:38am

For the book cover, can we make it MORE epic...I mean this is a story about war on hell, at the least show us something at indicate that this ISN'T a normal fantasy story, and a CHIRSITAN fantasy story that is bound to piss chrisitan off.

Perhaps we design cover can be influenced by other christian novels? The only difference is, we are adding in pics that shows us that modern day military is attacking heaven.


Perhaps a drawing of the invasion of hell, something like those pictures of D-Day, where the allies is unloading tons of men and supply.

And some demons fleeing from their life.

For the synopsis, can we be less clear? Write something that will ensure those chrisitan fundie will read the ENTIRE book? As compared to putting down the book?

At the least until they read the chapter about Jesus?

Example, Satan has enlarged his domain into earth, and declared war on humanity. Humanity however, is not going down with a fight.


This way, chrisitan fundie may think that this book is about humanity AND god helping each other and attacking hell.

EdBecerra
Padawan Learner
Posts: 238
Joined: 2008-07-08 02:07am
Contact:

Post by EdBecerra » 2008-08-22 12:59am

Darth Ruinus wrote:Sorry, but the pics of Satan getting shot made me draw some sketches.

And then of course the title and description thing goes in the big blank space.
Well, damn, that's some excellent artwork.

I'm envious - the way you can make a few lines evoke an F-111? Impressive!

Ed.
Edward A Becerra

EdBecerra
Padawan Learner
Posts: 238
Joined: 2008-07-08 02:07am
Contact:

Post by EdBecerra » 2008-08-22 01:18am

Mayabird wrote:Continuation of my idea about the angels not being allowed to procreate: we could be talking about some seriously, seriously sexually repressed folks here, on the levels of the Muslim men who have sex with goats, camels, sheep, or whatever else is walking around (if you saw the thread, you know what I'm talking about). The "animal" equivalent for the horny messed-up angels might very well be human women.
Huh. Hadn't thought about it that way, and shame on me for missing the obvious.

Heh. I wonder if that means someone in Heaven's indulging in a little smuggling of porno from Earth to Heaven. We've already seen Michael-lan admitting that he's doing a little import business for himself and for Yeshua. (The thought of Peter, stoned out of his mind on LSD? Priceless!) Wonder how they'd play a videotape or a DVD of hardcore stuff up there - does Heaven even HAVE electricity? Or can they just "magic" it up?

The forces of sexual repression at work in Heaven? A possible fifth column? Fascinating.

I've known a number of Muslims in my day, and more than a few who tried to sidestep their religious prohibitions by lawyering their way through various loopholes. (one example, an elderly Muslim I knew who drank plum brandy, and excused it away by saying that only fermented grain or grapes were forbidden - the Koran didn't SPECIFICALLY ban fermented plums by name. You get the idea.)

Of course, the same is true of other religions, it just doesn't appear as high profile, with the exception of RC priests abusing their clerical rank by abusing children.

Hmm.. another annoying thought intrudes. Where's Mohammed? Heaven? Hell? And would he matter?

He lived (and died) before Yahweh claimed to have closed the Gates. I wonder if he was a "legitimate" prophet whom Yahweh misled because it was entertaining, or just a garden variety con-man who created a religion because it was (as Robert Heinlein put it) "nice work if you can get it" ala L. Ron Hubbard, with Yahweh later laying claim to it and taking advantage of it.

Ed.
Edward A Becerra

User avatar
Stormbringer
King of Democracy
Posts: 22678
Joined: 2002-07-15 11:22pm

Post by Stormbringer » 2008-08-22 01:39am

Posted this here and in the thread started in AMP. Just a quick design but I really like the sketches and think this works for an attention grabbing cover.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a34/st ... nCover.jpg

Here's my stab at the cover design. Not entirely happy with the font but I'm thinking this works best with a minimalist approach. If anyone has some suggestions, feel free as I appreciate the feedback.
Image

User avatar
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 70027
Joined: 2002-07-03 12:25am
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Post by Darth Wong » 2008-08-22 01:46am

I still think there should be an oil-painting look. If people prefer the "show combatants fighting on the cover" style that's fine, but there's a certain style that people associate with the religious artistry of the middle ages, and I think it would be appropriate here.
Image
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html

Edward Yee
Sith Devotee
Posts: 3395
Joined: 2005-07-31 06:48am

Post by Edward Yee » 2008-08-22 01:50am

Pelranius wrote:Looks like Yahweh is an addict as well. He seems rather unfocused, or was that description referring to Michael?
Michael-lan's kick is "mundane" drugs, while Yahweh's thing... is his own hype. ;)
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread

User avatar
Stormbringer
King of Democracy
Posts: 22678
Joined: 2002-07-15 11:22pm

Post by Stormbringer » 2008-08-22 01:59am

Darth Wong wrote:I still think there should be an oil-painting look. If people prefer the "show combatants fighting on the cover" style that's fine, but there's a certain style that people associate with the religious artistry of the middle ages, and I think it would be appropriate here.
To each his own but part of the reason I like the sketches is they're somewhat reminiscent of the woodcut style illustrations from Paradise Lost. I think that actually works fairly well for this thematically. And they're good sketches.

Actual medieval style looks, frankly, like shit. It really looks goofy. I think what you're actually thinking is Renaissance or Romance works; those tend to be a lot better quality and more realistic. The Renaissance and Romantic art looks decent but it's actually rather difficult to find a decent piece that hasn't been published to death. And this deserves some original artwork.
Image

Locked